2005 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 GMC Envoy:

2005 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Jul 292009

There was ignition switch failure while driving the vehicle. The power steering and brakes gave out, the engine shut off, and all the lights on the dash came on. It resembled the car running out of gas without doing so. After I pulled off the road with great difficulties, I put the car in park and the vehicle got stuck in it. The engine would not turn over after this occurred and needed to be towed. There is no release switch which the tow truck driver said there should be so he could get it onto the truck, so the vehicle has to be drug with the wheels locked onto the flatbed and then pushed off in the same manner. We paid to have it fixed and it has now happened again 5 months later. There are many reports of this online and it is not just with the GMC Envoy denali it also includes the Chevy trailblazer and possibly other vehicles manufactured by GM. There was one person online that said they keep spare ignition switches in the vehicle and the tools to swap it out because of how frequently it happens. The dealership replaced the part and it is not available as far as I know, because it was not returned to me. The vehicle was a 2005 GMC Envoy denali.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Jul 152009

2005 GMC Envoy instrument cluster defective speedometer malfunctioning.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Jun 102007

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy. The Envoy began experiencing problems at approximately 58, 000 miles when the gas tank began reading empty no matter how much gas was in the tank. Eventually, after much complaining to my local dealership they stated they would only repair the problem if I paid for half of the repairs. I refused. Later, at approximately 80,000 miles, my speedometer began malfunctioning. The speedometer works intermittently, just recently it was stuck at 120 mph even in park. Now, the battery gauge has begun to malfunction. The battery charge ranges from the lowest to the highest with no real rhyme or reason. It is apparent by reading on the internet forums that this is a major product defect as it happens to many, many GMC owners, especially 2002-2005 Envoy owners. I have filed complaints with GMC directly and received responses that are not satisfactory. These items should be a recall effort and repaired by GMC as they are clearly product default not just general ware and tear of the vehicle. These problems are costly and present safety issues while driving.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Aug 172007

Gas gauge has not worked since 2007. Headlights and some dash lights as well as ext temp gauge sometimes flicker. No positive response from dealer for gas gauge. Was initially told headlights were supposed to do this, a "feature". I asked them to document this for me, they said they would look at it. Replace body control module, no change. Said it could be this or that, but out of warranty at my expense. I told them I would pay for it, but if it did not fix the problem I would not. They refused to work further on it.

- Dalzell, SC, USA

Feb 042009

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy that has just started having issues with the fuel gauge. I have filled the gas tank and the gauge reads empty with the fuel light on. Then 10 minutes later the light goes out and it reads that I do have fuel. Then a little later it starts going down and reads empty again. I have re-stopped to get gas to find that the tank is full. This is wrong and there should be a recall on this item. It draws the driver's attention away from driving and must have caused accidents somewhere in the usa.

- Flanders, NJ, USA

Jan 282009

I have had my 05 GMC Envoy for several months now and have taken it to be repaired at least once a month! my issue is with the electrical system and the headlights and console "flashing" at night. I have taken it to the dealership twice and the first time they checked the battery, some cables and gave it back to me saying they could not find anything. The second time I took it back about a month later because the light were still flashing. The dealership had it for 2 days and told me it was my alternator. I did not believe them and did not get my alternator changed ($675) and my car has been starting and running fine. My headlights still flicker, but there is nothing I can do about it. I have read several other complaints about this and most of them go through a new battery and alternator and it still does not fix the problem. This is something GMC needs to look into and fix because it is a huge safety hazard.

- Wales, WI, USA

Jan 142009

The check engine light kept coming on and I took it to the dealer for repair and was told "it's ok. Forget it." On 01-09-2009 while traveling on Texas highway 60, I had the cruise control set for 70 mph. Traffic was normal but continually passed me as if I was going slower. I pulled over at a convenience store and parked the vehicle. The speedometer registered 45 mph in park. I continued home gauging speed by the other traffic. The vehicle was parked. On 01-14-2009, my wife and daughter were in the vehicle returning from school. The speedometer appeared to be working. At approximately 3:00 pm while driving home, the electric door locks began to lock and unlock themselves. At the same time, the A/C went to maximum heat and high blower. My wife stopped the vehicle and put it in park. The side curtain air bags deployed, striking my daughter in the left temple resulting in a mild concussion. Onstar notified the police of a collision. I contacted the dealer who referred me to GMC customer assistance. The agent told me that this kind of thing happens when traveling too fast and turning too sharp. An investigator was dispatched to gather computer information and determine if there had been a collision. His results were there was no collision and the bags deployed per command from the vehicle control system based on the vehicle traveling 20 mph and turning too sharp. The vehicle was actually traveling 20 mph on a residential street in a straight line. Turning right would have resulted in going through a fence and left would have put the vehicle in a park. GMC refused to investigate the discrepancies between the computer and the driver's account further. I contacted a local GM dealer who has as much concern about this incident as I do. No repairs have been initiated to date as it is unclear what is at fault. Several GM technicians and service managers believe there is a problem with the vehicle control system but are unable to proceed without approval.

- Pampa, TX, USA

May 012007

The headlights & dash lights flicker & go out while driving at night time, no weather being a factor & no other things either. Other people exp. The same prob !!!! the voltage meter is dropping during this period also.have had back to dealer they tightened the battery cables & also put pads behind the cables this was not a fix !!!!!!! what can be done to fix this major problem safety!!!!! this happens almost every time you drive and the lights are on!!!!!!

- Stanford , KY, USA

Nov 222005

Envoy 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that he was experiencing issues with the headlights. When his wife would drive the vehicle at 50 mph, the headlights would get dimmer and dimmer and then brighten again. On one occasion, the lights turned off completely and his wife had to drive home with the hazard lights flashing. The issue occurred intermittently. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer at least four times and they changed the switches and recalibrated the lights. The repairs caused other failures; therefore, they recalibrated to the original lights. The dealer stated that there was no remedy for the failure. The manufacturer stated that they would start a case for him and call him back. The current mileage was approximately 41,000 and failure mileage was approximately 23,000. Updated 11/14/08 the check engine light illuminated. The dealer replaced the O2 sensor. Updated 11/18/08.

- Stanley, NC, USA

Mar 142008

Envoy 4WD

Purchased a used (had previously been GMC exec's) 2005 GMC Envoy in September 2005. Since January 2007 we have experienced multiple issues with the vehicle. We have had problems such as the headlights dimming on and off while we're driving, the airbag sensor saying off even when my wife is sitting in the passenger seat, and the driver side power seat would move up, but wouldn't move forward or backward. However, the biggest problem and safety issue has been the vehicle shutting off while in the middle of driving it. There have been numerous occasions where we have been on back roads, rush-hour freeway traffic, etc. And the vehicle shut off, lost all power including power steering and you can't pump the brakes-you have one shot to hit the brakes. Last Thursday, March 6, 2008 this happened to us 5 times in one day!! my wife was on her way home from a job interview and the vehicle shut off on her 3 times. Then, it shut off on her again when she was driving to pick me up from work. On our way home it shut off for the 5th time that day and it did it in the middle of heavy, rush-hour traffic on the railroad tracks! this is an issue that needs to be fixed. We keep this car in tip-top shape, properly maintained. It is barely 3 years old and having these types of problems is not right. GM needs to issue a recall on this asap. This needs fixed immediately...and apparently this is happening with a lot of, if not all, Envoy. One Envoy...that could be a fluke, but more than one, even just 2 is a duplicate problem and should be recalled.

- Mount Sterling, OH, USA

Jan 012007

Envoy 6-cyl

I purchased a 2005 GMC Envoy in September 2005. In the past year (since January 2007, at least), I have experienced several problems with my vehicle. The first problem is with the headlights. Everytime I have driven the vehicle the headlights appear to dim/flicker and then return to normal. This has resulted in oncoming vehicles turning their bright lights on me thinking my brights are on when in reality my headlights are dimming and then returning to normal. The second problem concerns the passenger side airbag. Anytime a certain weight limit is met or exceeded the airbag sensor is supposed to switch to on, but there have been several occasions when someone was sitting in the passenger seat and the airbag sensor hasn't recognized it. Third problem, driver side power seat failure. There have been several instances when I have tried to move the driver seat forward, but nothing happened. The motor sounded like it was grinding and wanted to move, but the seat would not move forward or backward. The most extreme problem to date has been with the vehicle completely shutting off without warning while in the middle of driving and then not starting or even turning over at all. Every single day for, at least, the last month when I go to start the vehicle it fails to start and it takes a minimum of 1 hour to get it started. One instance in particular when the vehicle shut off without warning was while my wife and I were on the freeway. Without warning the vehicle shut down and we were forced to pull onto the shoulder. We sat there for almost an hour in temperatures of 13 degrees trying to get the vehicle restarted. There have been countless complaints and reports of other Envoy owners experiencing these same problems. Some dealers have actually said that these failures/problems are normal!!!! what!"!?! are you freaking kidding me?! since when is it considered "normal" when so many Envoy are displaying these same problems"

- Mount Sterling, OH, USA

Sep 102005

Envoy 4WD 8-cyl

2005 GMC Envoy doors and windows failed to open. Consumer states that the doors and windows failed to open. He also states that the vehicle would not start when his wife tried to start it.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Oct 012006

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

2005 GMC Envoy - since purchase, the headlights will dim when driving at night; seems to happen after first starting the vehicle. The battery gauge will drop down to under 11 volts when this occurs. The dealer has tightened the ground connections and replaced the alternator twice; after returning the vehicle to the dealer a third time, I was told that this is "normal". the vehicle is now out of warranty with 50K miles and the problem still exists.

- Holly, MI, USA

May 152007

Envoy 4WD

Since I purchased my vehicle in August of 2005, I have experienced dashboard lights and headlights dimming at intermittent times. I reported this to the dealer, where I purchased my vehicle at various times. Each time it was serviced, I am told that they were unable to locate any problems with the vehicle.

- Carthage, NY, USA

Jul 282006

Envoy 6-cyl

Vehicle has intermittent throttle problem that causes the throttle to surge and the headlights to go dim to bright and dash lights to go dim to bright. This condition happens intermittently, and the dealership states there is no problem. This condition is most dangerous when driving in confined spaces such as parking lots. I have taken this problem to the selling dealership four times since July 2006 and continue to be told there was no problem.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Jul 062006

There are 3 consistent problems with my 05 Envoy. My lights flicker and battery gauge goes down suddenly this happens about once a month. Upon exiting my truck I always get a huge shock!! the knobs on the sides of my front seats keep coming off, I have had one replaced before now they are both off and missing, they must have fell out the door one day.

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Jun 202005

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

- the contact owns a 2003 GMC Envoy. The headlights, dashboard, and tail lights flashed randomly at any speed, this failure started in October of 2006. The weather and time of day were not factors in the failure. The dealership said that the failure was normal. There were tsbs for the failure, as well as for several others. The fuel neck had been replaced twice due to a design change. The seal around the licenses place holder came loose and had to be replaced. The brake pedal was squeaking, the contact took vehicle for service on three occasions, and replaced the serpentine belt twice, an airbag sensor, the rear wiper arm, the oxygen sensor twice, the first time at 7000 miles. There were cruise control failures, when the contact tried to accelerate it hesitated and then surged. The weather stripping on the rear doors has been repaired three times. The ABS would skip on a bumpy road and would not engage. At one point the contact could smell fuel in the passenger compartment and vehicle had very poor gas mileage, the dealer stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle, but air valve became stuck and would not close. The rear door hinges squeaked. This winter it won't go to full voltage until a minute elapsed after the vehicle has been started. The original failure mileage was 3829, and the current mileage was 23700. The brakes were inoperative, the belts squeaked, there was a problem with the ABS, the air bag light illuminated, the cruise control didn't work properly, the rear wiper would only wipe the middle of the back windshield. A new fuel neck was installed. Updated 03/15/07.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 152007

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

There have been numerous occasions when the lights on the vehicle flicker and dim. This has been noted to occur most frequently when driving in high humidity conditions. The voltage gage jumps approximately 6 volts. The vehicle has been to the dealership for this issue, but I was told that the problem could not be recreated.

- Whitmore Lake, MI, USA

Nov 172006

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

At the beginning of Nov there was two occasions that I got into my vehicle and while I was driving to work my headlights and the lights in the dash board would dim and flash every time I let my foot off the accelerator. The gauage to the battery would drop down pass the half point.and I would here clicking in my steering column, this is something that has been going on.I told the GMC dealerabout this, they could not duplicate my concern at that time. He gave me a #02-06-03-008A form and told me it couldnt be fixed. I am very upset by this I am driving a defective SUV. I am afraid of going out to start my SUV and it not start.that is one of the problems it could have.

- Hyde Park, NY, USA

May 202006

Envoy 6-cyl

I have an '05 GMC Envoy slt. I've only owned it six months, since Nov '05. I've dealt with flickering headlights and dash lights until just a couple of months ago. I had that issue looked at while installing step rails. I was told this was a typical issue with Envoy and they only needed to 'tighten' some bolts. When I initially mentioned the problem I also commented that I would get the 'shock' of my life while exiting the Envoy and asked if it could be a grounding issue but they said no. Anyway. The problem was solved for a few days but it started all over again and it gets worse as time goes on. Before I took it in the first time it was so bad I could feel the engine surge in unison with the flickering of the headlights and dash lights. I feel this could be an extreme safety issue since it involves the headlights and it more noticeable in the dark hours.

- Midlothian, TX, USA