1. GM suggests longer bars for replacement (1 reports)
1996 GMC Safari suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 GMC Safari:

1996 GMC Safari Owner Comments

Jun 302003

Safari SE

Vehicle was running fine until I came out and noticed my front passenger side leaning on one side. Two days later the other side came down. Had van towed to a mechanic. Mechanic said GM told him longer torsion bars had to be installed on vehicle. This tells me that GM knew this was a problem to begin with. I'm a Christian man so I will not curse, but I will be darned if I buy another GMC product as long as I live. I will not allow any of my Children/Siblings/Friends/Relatives purchase a GM as well. I find it a shame that Torsion bars do not break unless you are off-road but my VAN bars broke in normal driving conditions. I will call GM and see what they have to say for themselves. I will also report this back to this site on what they say.

- , Jamestown, NC, USA