2001 GMC Sierra 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 GMC Sierra 1500:

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 142013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Driving less than a half mile from home when I applied the brakes and experienced total failure without warning. Upon inspection brake lines were rusted and one failed. As I was removing to replace all of them due to the rust conditions, several of them were brittle enough to break upon manipulation.

- Forest Hill, MD, USA

May 232013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

My wife applied brakes to stop at a red light and pedal went to floor with no warning light and with the grace of god it stopped before we were T-boned in busy intersection. Amazing that GM can put stainless steel exhaust which by the way is still on the truck but not the brake lines!!!!!!!

- Shady Side, MD, USA

May 042013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

The brake line that runs above the gas tank is leaking. I have no brake pressure. This has been a well documented General Motors problem.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 032012

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Two things started to happen 1. the truck when coming to a stop of a speed of less then 25 mph started to lose its brakes and feel spongy. This continued until I got it in the shop which was about two days. 2. the truck started to run very rough and the engine light was coming on at the same time as well. After I got it in the shop and they got it up on a lift they found that all of the brake lines and fuel lines were all most rusted through and starting to leak. They had to replace all of the brake lines, fuel lines and since they had the fuel tank down they replaced the fuel pump because they found rust and dirt in the old pump. The shop mechanic said the lines were ready to fail at any moment. The Chevy dealer I bought the truck off of just four months early had just inspected it and had seen the rusted lines and even repaired a piece of one of the fuel lines but left the rest go to fail down the road, they gave me little to no help. This is a huge problem, dangerous as well as very expensive one and needs looked into. Is there any help I can get for this problem??

- Parkesburg, PA, USA

Nov 122012

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

I was going through an intersection at about 30 mph when my brakes completely failed. I applied my parking brake and swerved onto a nearby lawn just missing a car in front of me. I had my vehicle towed to a mechanic, who told me the brake lines were all rusted through and there was no way they should have been this bad for a vehicle that was well-maintained. I subsequently investigated and found there have been numerous complaints about this problem. Why has nothing been done" my wife, daughter and I could have been killed. Why should GM be allowed to get away with this"

- Somerset, MA, USA

Sep 192009

Sierra 1500

Driving down the road in my 2001 GMC pickup when the line of vehicles in front of me started slowing down, I applied my brakes and the pedal went to the floor. I had to swerve to my left across traffic to avoid rear ending the vehicle in front of me. The momentum of the truck took me through a small parking lot and into a building. I do not have the VIN as this happened about 3 ? years ago but I suspect it is available somewhere.

- Mount Desert , ME, USA

Sep 142012

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Main brakeline from master cylinder to rear differential rusted through and leaked resulting in a no brake situation.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Sep 032012

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Moving the truck out of my driveway I experienced a soft brake pedal. Several minutes later total brake failure. Luckily I wasn't going very fast. Was able to stop and investigate why my brakes failed. All brake fluid was gone. Under the drivers side the brake line failed. Fluid was dripping from a rusted brake line. This truck was garaged when not used and has not been exposed to salty roads. I have been driving for nearly 60 years and never had a brake line failure. GM should be held responsible for the poor design and repair. I see from the internet I am not the first to complain, I can't understand why the government hasn't forced GM into a recall for this serious safety problem.

- Lancaster, VA, USA

Apr 142010

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the brakes failed. The contact stated that he had to depress the brake pedal to the floor in order to get the vehicle to slow down. Also, the contact mentioned that there was brake fluid leaking from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle as not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Apollo, PA, USA

May 232008

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Brake line corroded, causing loss of brake fluid, and subsequent brake warning light. Driver rear brake line corroded with leak in 90 degree bend. 2nd brake line later failed catastrophically, causing all loss of brake control and requiring replacement of all brake lines on vehicle.

- Owensboro , KY, USA

Aug 182012

Sierra 1500

Was backing into my driveway and all of a sudden my brake pedal went to the floor and I could hear a noise like water running. I looked under my truck and saw a puddle of brake fluid on the ground. Turns out my brake line let go. I took it to a mechanic and all the brake lines were badly corroded and have to be replaced. I also tried to use my emergency brake and the brake cable snapped from also being corroded. I don't live near salt water or anything. I'm just glad this happened in my driveway and not at high speeds or it could have been a lot worse.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Jul 082012

Sierra 1500

Stepped on brake pedal to shift out of park into reverse, pedal went to floor got out and found brake fluid dripping from front left of truck under the drivers door on frame. Looked underneath and saw severely corroded brake lines on outside of frame, could not see leak as it was hidden on top of frame, brake lines too corroded to fix had to replace all. I am very grateful this happened in my driveway.

- Avon, MA, USA

Jul 162012

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500. While driving approximately 5 mph in a residential driveway, the brake pedal was engaged when suddenly the pedal traveled to the floorboard abnormally. After several attempts the vehicle finally came to a stop. The contact noticed brake fluid leaking onto the ground. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. There was an open and closed investigation pertaining to the Sierra model under NHTSA action number: PE10010 (service brakes, hydraulic:power assist:hydraulic:hoses, lines/piping, and fittings). The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 131,000.

- Bowdoin , ME, USA

Jun 252012

Sierra 1500 6-cyl

While traveling at about 40 mph on flat paved road the brake warning light came on. When I tested the brake, the pedal went to the floor. The warning light went off then flashed back on. On the second or third pump the warning light did the same thing. At that time I had regained a very soft and little brake. Upon inspecting the brake system it was found that the brake line aft of the left front wheel, behind the inter-fender cover where it passes over the frame member had failed due to serious rusting and had burst.

- Festus, MO, USA