2001 GMC Sierra 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 GMC Sierra 1500:

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 072016

Sierra 1500

Was on my way home, when I went to turn left onto my road. My brake pedal went all the way to the floor. I had to accelerate across a main road because a vehicle came up over the hill at me and I could not stop the truck. I coasted down a hill until the truck stopped rolling. When it was towed to a service station the mechanic noted a rusted out hole in my brake line. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The last time was in 2013. Yet the manufacturer does nothing to address this!!!!!!!

- Hudson, MI, USA

Jun 032016

Sierra 1500

While driving in downtown city area, vehicle in motion, attempted to apply brakes and pedal went straight to floor almost causing an accident. There was no warning to loss of braking system. Vehicle was brought to residence and reviewed. Brake lines from master cylinder have suffered rust damage and caused a failure of the braking system. Upon further review all brake lines on vehicle are exhibiting extreme corrosion to a system that should not be rusting.

- Lagrange, KY, USA

May 012016

Sierra 1500

Takata recall ABS & parking brake light coming on. Clean connections, lights went out. Went down the road about 3 miles, lights came back on. Sometimes starting up in the morning, lights will be off. Get down the road about 3 to 5 miles lights come back on. According to internet there is a bad soldering connection in the control module. Has this been a recall at any time. When lights come on, electric brakes to trailer are in optimal.

- Rathdrum, ID, USA

Apr 192016

Sierra 1500

Brake line failure. I had complete brake line failure while coming to a stop at a busy road. I was lucky I was able to honk my horn and go through the light. I drive this truck almost every day and had this happened on my normal daily commute this could have been a disaster. It is ridiculous that stainless steel lines were not used on such a vital part of the vehicle. Now I am looking at a lot of money to replace all the lines. I do not have a bill to upload at this time as the repair work has not been completed yet.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Nov 052015

Sierra 1500

Anti-locking brakes coming on when stopping. No regular brakes 100 feet pass stop on highway and once turning while parking space, hit a fence in front of me when brakes failed.

- Camden, TN, USA

Jan 202016

Sierra 1500

Second brake like failure in as many years. Again, rusted at a bend just as the rear line turns down into the center hose going to the rear axle differential. Luckily, I was just finishing pulling straight into a parking spot when it popped just as a I stopped. Fortunately, I was able to hit the parking brake so I didn't hit anything.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Nov 242015

Sierra 1500

The brakes failed due to rusted out steel brake lines while driving.

- Fox River Grove, IL, USA

Jan 012013

Sierra 1500

At low speeds when a person hit the brakes the ABS engages and the vehicle will not stop. All equipment is original and is not due to recall regarding aftermarket equipment. Local garage says this is a problem with corroded speed senser. My problem is I almost ran through my house the first time this happened. Another problem is the brake lines on these trucks corode and break without notice. This has nothing to do with previous paragraph as I replaced them and ABS is still messed up. Chevrolets inferiour parts usage regarding brake lines cause them to burst prematurely. I also have several friends with identical trucks who all report the same problem. Both problems are ongoing problems. I fixed the brake lines but I had to remove the ABS module to keep the ABS from engaging and causing an accident.

- West Liberty, KY, USA

May 142015

Sierra 1500

Brake line rusted into other lines are rusty also truck had been kept in garage for at least 6 years only drove on beach maybe 5 times always washed off afterwards.lines should have been S/S

- South Mills, NC, USA

Mar 052015

Sierra 1500

Applied brakes to stop at a traffic light and the brakes went to the floor, got vehicle to a parking lot to find all lines under the truck rusty, all lines including the fuel lines are gonna have to be replaced.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Jan 282015

Sierra 1500

Brake lines are so rusty they leak.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Nov 292014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

On 11-29-2014, while driving home with my 2 sons, attempting to slow down to turn into our neighborhood, the brake pedal went to the floor with no resistance. This is the second time I have had a brake line burst due to exterior corrosion (rust). The first time a brake line burst in this truck was approximately 1 1/2 years ago. At that time, while driving with my 2 young sons, approaching a stop light, the brake pedal went to the floor with no resistance and I was, fortunately, able to immediately turn right, into a parking lot. At that time, I reported the issue online at some website, but I cannot recall the name of the site. This time I came to this website. I now have to have the truck towed, and have to have all rigid oem brake lines replaced, right here before christmas. This most recent incident, the rupture came from outside the frame rail, under the driverside seat. All oem rigid brake lines are severely rusted. The problem in the past (the first incident) came from the last 3 inches of the brake line going to the left rear wheel before it attaches to the flexible hose. Note that this truck has never been in the mud or sand, nor has it put any boats into the water. Also, it has never pulled/towed another vehicle. I definitely would not pull anything in this model of GMC truck without replacing all oem rigid brake lines.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Sep 102014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Rear brake line burst and had no stopping power.had to roll to a stop.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Jul 132014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was backing my boat into the water, stepped on brakes and pedal went to the floor.the brakes were gone. Quickly put in drive and four wheel drive and pulled up ramp(up hill ramp so brakes were not so important used emergency brake to stop).the complete system failed, there were no hydraulic brakes at all as all the lines corroded.

- Oakdale, MN, USA

Jan 122012

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the brake pedal had to be depressed repeatedly in order for the vehicle to come to a stop. The contact mentioned that upon stopping, the vehicle lunged forward. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who replaced both front wheel ABS sensors. The failure recurred and the vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 012013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

After backing my truck into my driveway, I was reaching into the back seat while pressing on the brake pedal. All of a sudden my foot on the brake pedal went to the floor. Upon investigating I found that I had a hole in my rear driver side brake line. It was completely rusted out. Further investigating showed that all the brake lines are very rusty and in poor condition. I have repaired the ruptured line, but am fearful of another rupture. I believe that GM should be required to replace all the brake lines on this vehicle. Why does GM not use high quality stainless steel brake lines for all vehicles? all vehicle makers should be required to use high quality stainless steel for brake lines and brake components susceptible to rust.

- Gladstone, MI, USA

Dec 192013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Was about to go shopping for christmas gifts, stepped on brake at top of court and the peddle went to floor. Not just loss of hydros full on brake malfunction, no brakes at all. I live in New York and truck was purchased from Connecticut. Decided to make left turn and missed getting hit by 18 wheeler by inches. I am lucky to be alive to be typing this now, no thanks to GM. No warning lights nothing at all just no brakes. To add emergency brake did not work.

- Bayside, NY, USA

Nov 052013

Sierra 1500

Sudden rupture of brake line due to heavy corrosion. Rupture was evident along a seam in the brake line from the manufacturing process. Rupture greatly reduced the braking capacity. Rendered vehicle unsafe to drive.

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 162013

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Brake failure due to severely rusted brake line at driver side rear wheel. Rust is severe on all surfaces underneath vehicle. Will require complete replacement of all brake lines and other assorted brake components. ABS was malfunctioning prior to brake line rupture, likely due to corrosion within wheel/hub assembly. This malfunction is known to GMC, and occurs by the ABS erroneously sensing wheel stoppage at low speed, causing the system to activate and inability to stop. This has caused near misses in parking lot situations, thus the ABS has necessarily been disabled until repair (pulling fuse). Not the kind of issues a low mileage truck should be experiencing.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Aug 172013

Sierra 1500

My ABS control module is not functioning properly. ABS is disabled and costs $1000 to replace. This is a safety hazard as the brakes can lock up at any moment or ABS is disabled and may cause brakes to lock up. The ABS light on dashboard is on continuously and the module will need to be replaced or further damage will occur.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA