1. get code from dealer (1 reports)
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 GMC Sierra 1500:

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

May 272006

Sierra 1500 LE

when my battery died, I removed it and replaced it myself. When I turned on the ignition, the radio had a message "LOC". As it turns out, GMC has a secret four number code which they install at the factory to deter theft of the radio. Anytime electrical power is interrupted for more than a minute or so, the radio goes into the "LOC" mode, and will do nothing. My gripe is, that I had to take it to the GMC dealer and pay them $50.00 to find the code (supposedly on the rear of the radio) and program that number back into the radio. Nothing changed within my radio. All of my preprogramed stations were there. What a scam. The owners manual never states anything about the time factor when changing the Battery, and I was never asked if I wanted the :LOC" activated when I bought the vehicle. Sooner or later, every battery dies, and the vehicle owner will be faced with this same $50.00 GMC scam.

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA