2.4

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Sierra 1500:

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012013

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. While operating the vehicle, the speedometer failed to operate or display a speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the speedometer cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 31,000.

- Millers Creek, NC, USA

Jul 042014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

I have been having trouble starting my 2004 GMC, sometime when I turned the key it would do nothing, I had it towed in and spent over $500 to repair it, alternator, battery etc, and it did not fix the problem. When I got it back, and it did it again, I found that if I moved the steering wheel up and down with the lever, it would then start. Yesterday I went out to start my truck in my driveway, and the key will not turn in the ignition. It feels like the ignition came apart or something inside. The steering wheel is not locked. It is ridiculous that I will have to pay to have this vehicle towed in again and pay to repair the ignition, when GM has been having huge problems with ignitions! I have had other problems with this vehicle to include a fire under the dash. My insurance covered it because a fuse melted and did not do it's job, however now my speedometer does not work, and they want me to pay for a new wiring harness which I will not do. I use my gps to track my speed! the rear transfer case went on it, and I spent $1,800 to have a new one installed. There have been other small things, but those are the major problems I have had over the years. I am like every other average person. I had no idea how to get GM to fix them, so I just paid myself! when I was researching how to replace the ignition, I came across your site. I have no idea what I can do about this or how to go about it. I need my truck as soon as possible, so I will probably get stuck paying again! thank you

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Mar 042014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Gauges work some times and don't, lights go off and on the dash when they do this at night it's hard to see what speed your doing our how much fuel you have. This seems to be a problem with a lot of the trucks my neighbors truck is doing the same thing.

- Sparks, GA, USA

Apr 172013

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that he had to turn the ignition switch various times in order for the vehicle to start. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 62,000. The current mileage was approximately 70,000. Updated 05/28/14

- Falkner, MS, USA

Jun 212013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

The gauges began to spin and not work properly or not function at all. Also the brake lights do not function when the gauges and dash lights flash or remain on. The ABS light brake light and the battery light and the security light all come on. Also along with all the other problems when all this happens the headlights dim the fourwheel drive doesn't function and the volume level on the stereo changes.

- Pineville , WV, USA

Jan 222014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

All of the vehicle instrument gauges go inoperative intermittently while driving. I have owned this vehicle since new. There has been a GM action of sort on this, of which I am not sure. However, I was never notified and currently am experiencing the problem. We took the vehicle to a GM dealership they said the maintenance action(whatever it is) expired in 2011. So the repair is totally upon us to fix, some $540.

- Anchorage , AK, USA

Feb 012012

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

When the weather is below freezing the turn signals do not work until the vehicle has warmed up for atleast 20 minutes. Also the speedometer does not work, and when it does start working it is never the correct reading. It will stick as high as 70 mph, and to bring it down I have to keep restarting and shutting off the engine.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Jul 272011

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Speedometer flutters and now gives erroneous reading, gas gauge gives false readings. I did some online research and found that there was a problem with the instrument panel cluster and a letter was sent by GMC. I am the original owner and never received a letter and now my instrument cluster is failing. And now am past mileage/years to fix, because I never got the original letter and never new there was a problem.

- Hayes, VA, USA

Jan 102011

Sierra 1500 6-cyl

In my 2004 GMC Sierra the wiring harness for the A/C down near the passenger floorboard smokes and I smell burning plastic and my A/C doesn't work and I talked to a few other GMC and Chevy owners and they have the same problem. So if alot of people are having the same problem I think its something to look into...

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Dec 202010

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Sierra K1500. While driving at any speed, the contact stated that the speedometer would display the correct speed and then it remained at the same speed regardless of how fast or slow he was driving. The contact did not inform the dealer. The manufacturer was notified and advised him that there were no related recalls. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The current mileage was approximately 119,000. The failure mileage was approximately 117,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 202007

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Knocking in the steering shaft assembly began at 20,000 miles. Steering shaft has to be greased by service center every 10K miles to prevent knocking. Speedometer, odometer, and engine temperature gauges stopped working. Speedometer used to register max mph when doing 70mph then stopped working at all.

- Fort Gibson, OK, USA

Apr 152010

Sierra 1500

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra pickup and the speedometer broke about 4 months ago. Can anything be done by the company that wont cost me over 400 dollars.

- Park Hill, OK, USA

Jan 122010

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

I received a letter from GM stating my vehicles instrument cluster may give false readings. If your vehicle is doing this, take this letter to your GM dealer and they will fix the problem if it's not then you don't need to. It also stated that the warranty for this is 70,000 miles and they would not replace the cluster if it was not giving false readings. At 93,721 my fuel gauge started malfunctioning, and at 94,066 miles my speedometer reading was over 120mph, and I was not even moving. Now when I drive through a school zone or neighborhood I have no idea how fast I'm going. I didn't even have 100,000 miles on the vehicle when these problems started happening. When I took my vehicle in to get it fixed under the warranty they told me it was out of warranty and would not cover the parts. So much for GMC professional grade. The logo they use when selling there vehicles on tv. I have saved pictures on my cell phone showing the actual mileage when these false readings occurred.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Dec 052009

Sierra 1500

While driving noticed that I was going faster than the speedometer said. Felt like I was going at least 80 when the speedometer said 45 mph. Kept watching and when I came to a stop the meter would read below zero. Tried restarting the truck and it reset to zero but while holding a set speed the meter would continuously drop. Next day worked fine. 2 days later I noticed the meter drop off again. When I shut the truck off this time it got stuck at 30mph. Drove for a little while and tried shutting it off and starting it again this time it stayed at zero. It told the wife not to drive it until it is fixed. I don't want her in there with my child if there was a wreck due to not knowing what speed the truck is really going.

- Robertsdale, AL, USA

Apr 152007

Sierra 1500

Steering column clunking, speedometer not working, transmission stopped working.everything started going wrong about. 63,000 K. I have 116,000 know. 2004 Z71 crewcab.

- Cambridge, 00, USA

Aug 012008

Sierra 1500

At first my speedometer would 'tick' and that led to it jumping around. It sticks in various places, sometimes down to the right far off of the gauge itself. My tachometer does the same thing. It has been this way for a while now, I just can't want to fork over $600 to get it fixed. I heard that GM infact has and unpublished bulletin under their goodwill program to fix it - can this be made to be a published bulletin?

- New Bern, NC, USA

Dec 102008

Sierra 1500

Speedometer in 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 has failed. Dealership is wanting $450 to fix when GM acknowledges defects in speedometer assembly.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Sep 012007

Sierra 1500

I have a problem with my speedometer. Every day after driving it for 30 +/- miles the speedometer stops. Sometimes at 50 sometimes at 0 mph. Once I begin to drive it will sometimes go from 50 to 100 or it will stay where it stopped. This started about 18 months ago but it only happened once every couple months. Now it happens daily. I have learned that after leaving it set for a few hours I start it up, put it into drive and turn it off. With the gearshift in drive I try starting it and each time I turn the key the speedometer goes from 50 to 40 to 30 and then back to 0. once at zero I start the truck and the speedometer will be accurate for at least 30+/- miles.

- Trexlertown, PA, USA

Mar 132009

Sierra 1500

Speedometer reads 30 mph over what it should. Not only that, the 4WD sensor when out. Only used 4WD less than 10 times. Truck has less than 51K miles.

- Cadillac, MI, USA

Dec 262008

Sierra 1500

While driving my GMC Sierra the speedometer reading is grossly and obviously inaccurate. I took it to my mechanic and he says that GM parts will cost approximately $600 and that this is an extremely common problem that the dealer shop says he sees several times a week on this model of pickup. Using my gps for speed monitoring since I don't want to pay GM an exorbitant repair fee for something they aren't standing behind.

- Houston, TX, USA