2.2

2004 GMC Yukon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Yukon:

2004 GMC Yukon Owner Comments

Jul 222016

Yukon

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Yukon. While the vehicle was stationary, water entered the HVAC system and caused the blower resister module to corrode. As a result, the wiring harness heated up, which could have potentially caused a fire in the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 145,000.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Oct 102015

Yukon

Surge happens while driving, then engine light comes on, decreased engine power occurs, tracktion stability indictors comes on. Car looses power. I have to pull over off the road, put into park, cut ignittion off, wait a few minutes and then restart the car. This could happen several times while driving.the vehicle is in motion and this is a driving hazard and big safety issue, it has happened on city street and on a highway. It happens daily.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

May 042015

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

My husband and I purchased a 2004 GMC Yukon from a local dealership here in louisville Kentucky in 2007 and not to long after purchasing the vehicle some of the gauges stopped working. My husband contacted the dealership and was told to bring the vehicle in to one of their service center which they looked at it and stated they couldn't find nothing wrong with it. My husband explained the gauges would sometimes stick/quite working while driving the vehicle and sometimes when starting the vehicle and he would sometimes have to tap on it to try to get it to work again. Time went on and it got worse and my husband took the vehicle to a certified local mechanic and he told him the instrument panel/cluster needed to be replaced. We paid for a replacement and shortly after the replacement it started doing the same thing the other panel did. All the gauges stopped working and we have to tap on it to get it to work and now it has gotten even worse and I feel that there should be a recall on these because why should we continue to spend our money on getting replacements and they do the same thing. There must be a defect in these panels. I have contacted GM regarding this issue and they stated there was a service warranty on the panel but it expired in 2011. I then stated that we didn't know anything about the service warranty because we never received anything in the mail and they stated the service warranty was mailed out to the previous owners of the vehicle and we must not have registered our vehicle correctly with the dmv (department of motor vehicle) which I don't see how that is possible when we receive a notice in the mail every year to renew the registration on the vehicle we are current every year so I don't understand why we didn't receive the notice regarding the service warranty in the mail.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 222007

Yukon

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Yukon. While driving at an unknown speed, the instrument panel failed to display the correct gauge levels. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that there was an electrical failure. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 122013

Yukon

While traveling on the freeway at approximately 70mph, the speedometer in the vehicle malfunctioned and began steadily decreasing until it reached 0. luckily I had my gps to go by for my vehicle speed, otherwise I would have had know clue of how fast or slow I was going. This is a major safety concern and should be a recall on all vehicles regardless of mileage, or does someone have to die first!!

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Oct 152004

Yukon

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that the rear seat radio function was not functioning. The contact noticed the console was extremely hot. The dealer was made aware of the failure but a diagnostic test was not performed. Also, the contact stated that the passenger side daytime running headlight bulb was replaced three different times. The contact noticed the light bulbs that were removed were black and appeared melted on the bottom. The vehicle was not repaired for the radio failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 60.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 132011

Yukon

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that the instrument panel would fail sporadically. The contact took the vehicle to dealer and was advised that the gear mechanism was designed to fail over time. The manufacturer was aware of the issue and was offering to pay for the repair on vehicle within 70,000 miles or less. The failure mileage was unknown and current mileage was 130,000.

- Clarkton, NC, USA

Jun 252010

Yukon

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Yukon. While parked, the contact started the ignition and the check engine light illuminated. The check engine light would illuminate intermittently. The contact stated the speedometer was also failing. The speedometer would become stuck and after a few days would function normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technicians informed the warranty had expired and the contact would have to cover cost of the repairs and diagnostic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Harbor City , CA, USA

Oct 012010

Yukon

Fuel gauge reading inaccurately. Needle went way past the full mark into the blank area on the bottom of the gauge. Also, the speedometer was reading 120mph when I was pulling out of my driveway. I stuck at 70mph when I was stopped.

- Parker, CO, USA

Jul 012009

Yukon

The speedometer is erratic, usually showing 130 mph. The oil gauge and gas gauge have now stopped working as well. We can only gauge our speed by using a gps. It has been happening for about a year and we have over 100,000 miles on the vehicle.

- Chalmette, LA, USA

Dec 012009

Yukon

Upon taking delivery of vehicle erratic electrical problem existed. Often only the front doors would like, leaving the back doors and rear door unlocked. Often upon inserting key in ignition, drivers seat would zoom forward pushing occupant against steering wheel. While driving, outside rear view mirrors would retract for no reason. Dealer has not been able to fix though many service notes exist. Lately, the amp gauge failed however amperage is not affected. Next the speedometer showed 38 mph while not moving. It is totally now inoperative, varying from never leaving zero to showing 80 while going 20 mph. Since I cannot trust the accuracy of any gauge, I have no idea how fast I am driving or any of the other vital instrument readings.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jan 082009

Yukon

I have a 2004 GMC Yukon that has an erratic speedometer. At times, it will freeze up. Other times it will display the incorrect speed including freezing at 0mph. It is my understanding that this is a very common complaint by owners of vehicles containing these types of faulty instrument clusters. My vehicle has over 80,000 miles on it and is not covered by any sort of GMC warranty and/or replacement plan. This equipment poses a safety threat as I cannot determine the speed of my vehicle and more accurately interpret following distance from other vehicles.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 142006

Yukon

Inaccurate speedometer readings including complete failure of the speedometer on the instrument panel. Driving at highway speeds in excess of 60mph, speedometer showed 10mph.

- Cherry Valley, IL, USA

Jan 012006

Yukon

My 2004 GMC Yukon has been taken to several GMC service centers to try and diagnose several electronic issues. 1. the radio and ac unit will turn on for no reason and both units are extremely hot to the touch. 2. the front dash resonates when the vehicle is at a slight incline or decline when the ac unit is on. 3. the speedometer would occasionally stop working after running the vehicle for about 30 minutes yet the dealership was never able to duplicate. It has now stopped working all together.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Sep 012006

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

My 2004 GMC Yukon started having speedometer troubles a few months ago. Sometimes it would work just fine, but sometimes it would read 120 mph when I was parked, or sometimes it would read 0 mph when I was going about 65 on the highway. Some days it would work just fine, other days, it was very off. It got to where I could not rely on my speedometer to tell how fast I was going. I had to use a gps to get my speed.

- Hildale, UT, USA

Jul 082005

Yukon 8-cyl

"stability system disabled" was displayed prior to the brakes being engaged without driver input. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and a 'yaw sensor' replaced. The problem returned within 20 miles. A second sensor was replaced along with reprogramming. The problem continues. Dealer states "GM has told us to do nothing more". no further explanation is offered by the dealer or GM "customer assistance". I believe that a vehicle that activates brakes on dry pavement without the driver's foot on the pedal is dangerous.

- Roswell, GA, USA

May 312005

Yukon 8-cyl

2004 GMC Yukon slt -- instrument panel when truck was started. All gauges (fuel, battery & water) became inactive. Shift indicator no longer worked and I was unable to determine what gear the car was in. Audio system (cassette, cd player and radio) became inoperable. Car taken to dealership -- beck & masten North in houston. I was told that the body control module was defective and would need to be replaced. Previous issue with the instrument panel cluster going out, causing speedometer to become inoperative. Dealer admitted that this was a problem on a number of Yukon. (I haven't seen this a a recall on either your site or GMC's site.) GMC has violated FMVSS standard no. 101 and parts 573 and 577.

- Houston, TX, USA