8.0

$1,000.00

1. head gasket replaced (1 reports)
1998 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda Civic:

1998 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Oct 272008

Civic DX 1.6L 4 cyl

Generally my 1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr. hatchback has been a good car. However, the head gasket issue was definitely annoying and costly. I tried to see if there was some kind of secret warranty on it but didn't get anywhere. There have been a few other issues too. The car seems to like to eat tires. Using H rated tires might have exacerbated the issue. I have a feeling there is too much camber since the inside shoulders of the tires wear excessively when they are on the front wheels. I haven't had this issue as much using the winter tires.

Is there a solution to this issue that anyone is aware of? Then the light for the transmission indicator has gone out on me twice. Thankfully since I have the service manual I was able to correct the problem myself in about 20 minutes. It was just a loose bulb. I have had the "check engine" light come on a few times. The first time at about 34,000 miles it was the oxygen sensor. Then at about 76,000 miles I had a wiring harness issue. This last time at about 89,000 miles it was the bypass solenoid valve. The last set of front brake pads only lasted 16,000 miles. Living in an area with hills doesn't help matters any. Thankfully, the pads only costed me about $100 parts and labor. The dipstick for checking the automatic transmission fluid was not designed very well. It merely sits on the opening. It isn't in firmly enough so that there are increased chances of it falling out of place. Is there a remedy for this? I had put duct tape on the transmission fluid dipstick to help keep it in place.

- , Hastings-on-Hudson, NY, USA