CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,333.00

1. replaced transmission (257 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (153 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 3 of 34)

Apr 272012

Civic

I was unaware until today that 2001 Hondas have a bad transmission. I always associate Honda with reliability and quality. I know that cars can sometimes have problems and I accepted that I might have gotten a lesser quality Honda, but it’s always gotten me where I needed to go so I didn’t mind making the repairs because I figured they were kind of “forever” repairs. After reading this site, I now realize it’s more than a small problem but something consistent and expected. Honestly, I’m rather upset to hear about the lack of support from Honda on this issue.

I am typically cautious and careful about my car since it was the most expensive purchase I’ve ever made ($10,000 in 2006 at a Honda dealership in Atlanta when I was a sophomore in college, it was my first Honda too. I previously drove a Nissan Sentra). I always get my oil changed, tires rotated and always have them check my fluid levels. And have done the required maintenance as needed. I’ve gotten very familiar with my car and the way it drives. I know what to expect when it acts a certain way so when it started being a little louder and nosier than normal I started to pay extra attention to its behavior, especially since there was no engine/warning light. It was already on my radar to get it looked at when my car started having trouble switching gears, struggling to accelerate and was running rougher than normal. I took it to a neighborhood repair guy who has worked on my families’ car for 25 years and is a trusted source. He didn’t even have to take the car out of his parking lot before he diagnosed me with transmission troubles. Because of the type of labor involved, he wasn’t able to work on my car at his shop and recommended that I get a transmission repair shop to look and diagnosis the specifics.

I called a few shops to quote general cost of transmission repairs (they were all in the $2,500 - $3,500 range) so I ended up going with the one that offered to tow my car and look at it. My local Honda dealership hasn’t been the most helpful in the past so I completely ignored their quote. What I was hoping was just a little minor fix, turned into me needing to have my transmission completely rebuilt. It ended up costing me $4,000 (well, my sister really, I had to have someone else pay for it all at once since I don’t have that kind of money lying around) the first time and then required a repeat visit for about $300 for a busted transmission line that they didn’t fix properly the first time. This all happened at 96,800 miles. Which, seemed a little soon. But, I figured this repair would get me till the end of my car’s life (MANY years from now…not apparently one).

Since the repair in 2012 my car has been pretty solid and I’ve only had to replace my brakes and ball bearings (which was a $350 dollar expense). Sadly though, my car has started to act up again and I’m positive when I bring it in to be looked at it will be another transmission issue (trouble shifting, slow acceleration, etc.,) . The place that repaired it offered a 2 year or 24,000 mile warrantee that expired 3,000 miles ago (of course) so I might have to suck it up and bring it to Honda. I can’t drive another 150 miles just for repairs, that’s insane. But, I don’t think it’s worth shelling out another $4,000. My car wasn’t even worth that much when I repaired it the first time.

After seeing that 600+ people have had this problem with their car, some more than once, I know that this isn’t just a lower quality car but actually a problem with the manufacturing of the vehicle in general. I guess I need to start finding a new car, even though I only have 126,000 miles on it, and that new car with definitely not be a Honda if this is the type of product they put out.

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 022013

Civic LX 1.7L

Brother in-law purchased this car new in 01 and always had it serviced at the dealership, brother in-law was 48 at time of purchase. His sister bought it from him in 09, she was 47 at the time. She always had it serviced at a local foreign car repair shop. Last transmission service at 150,000, now at 163,000 this great Honda civic left her stranded in the middle of the road not quite 50 miles from home, with no warning! I drove it the night before and it ran fine.

So I have a 51 year old female an hour away in an area that she is not familiar with, scared to death, on Memorial day. So after a bunch of hours of calls, going to get her, dealing with the car we finally get to bed. The next day we call the local dealership, yep that happens, it'll be 4000.00 dollars to replace. What kind of crap is that? Is there another option? Nope a REBUILT transmission from Honda is the way to go. Your kidding! Why the hell would I trust Honda to rebuild something when they could not build it correctly the FIRST time.

Its a HONDA and it is JUNK at 163,000 miles?

I have a 98 ford f250, 252,000 on original transmission, a 2004 ford f250, 178,000 miles on original transmission, a 2000 Chrysler Sebring, 198,000 on original transmission and a 1998 VW Golf with 180,000 on the original transmission. So Honda can't make a car go over 160? If I were the people at Honda I would have to kill myself out of embarrassment of making a POS and claiming that it was a good car. Thank God they are not in the construction business or building airplanes

If you are reading this DON'T buy a Honda, they will screw you over.

- , West Des Moines, IA, USA

Aug 022013

Civic EX 4 cyl

Honda thinks they have the best cars on the road, well they do not. This car had 103,000 and the transmission gave out without warning. My daughter was driving this car and it died on a major roadway. I owned a 1994 toyota Camry that had 250,000 and the car ran great only doing basic maintenance. The only thing that killed the car was a drunk driver that totaled it while parked otherwise the car would still be running today. Honda should be ashamed of the craftsmanship and quality of their work. I will never buy a Honda again!

- , Spotswood, NJ, USA

Jul 112012

Civic LC 1.7L

Transmission died on the road !!! Car was always taken care off..126000 is too low for a transmission failure !!

- , Milpitas, CA, USA

Aug 192013

Civic DX

2001 honda civic automatic 4 door transmission failed= Toyota next time.

- , Enfield, Nova Scotia, canada

Sep 132012

Civic LX 4cy

The transmission is bad, the complaints should amount to recall on 2001 civic LX Junk.

- , Winchester,, VA, USA

Jul 032013

Civic DX

This is a known problem with Honda transmissions, documented in TSB 04-036, diagnosed by a Honda dealership. I called Honda customer service and they said there was nothing they could do to help me.

- , Seattle, WA - Washington, USA

Jul 082013

Civic

Transmission failure! I see that this is a known problem, yet Honda is not stepping up to fix the issue. With over 800 complaints on this board alone, you would think a company like this would listen! We sold this Honda to our daughter, who now has to decide what to do, spend $2400 or junk the car! Not fair for a lemon of a car, which is not normal (in my experience) from Honda -- we have owned 6 Honda's over the past 12 years, all are still running, except this one.

Going to call Honda and see if they step up, but based on this boards response, I am not overly confident.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 302013

Civic LX

I have owned three Honda Civics (this is the 4th) ;prior to this piece of crap!!! Problem after problem after problem! I have always had the oil changed in a timely manner and started out having all the recommended maintenance until the price was too high and the Honda dealer kept giving me a list of things that were wrong that came to 1000.00 anyway. I should have gotten rid of it years ago, I have put so much $$ into it!! Now the transmission fails and I have it rebuilt and find out the exhaust has a crack in it and it needs new front motor mounts plus bushings! I guess I was lucky to make it to 110,000 miles with the transmission since I have read were many people have had it die around 48000 to 780000. I was hoping to have this car last me a few more years...I guess I was dreaming. Honda, shame on you!!! I will NEVER buy another piece of crap Honda or any Honda again! I am a single parent and have been for many years, I can't afford to have an unreliable car that could break down anywhere at anytime and that is what this car has done to me a couple of times now. Again, after this Honda Civic experience, I am done! Too bad they don't make them the way they used to, I rarely had issues with my other three and they would probably be running better than this one had I not traded them in!! Next car...I am thinking Toyota...I need to do my research though. Hondas are over rated expensive and Unreliable...at least this one was and I am not willing to take another chance after wasting all the money I have.

- , Beaverton, OR, USA

Apr 172012

Civic LX

Car was running fine then out of nowhere my transmission slips and wont kick into third gear. Top speed I was able to go was 30 mph. Never had any kind of signs or warning just gave out one day. Almost a grand to fix and in the shop for three days. Same problem as everyone else reports torque converter burned up the oil from working too hard. I suggest to keep an eye on your transmission oil look for dark burnt looking oil.

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Jan 242013

Civic

almost got killed in line of traffic going 55 mils per hour and car just shut off.

- , Greentown, PA, USA

Apr 102013

Civic DX 1.7L

I bought a 2001 Honda Civic DX with 42k miles on it. I had the transmission fail when I reached 48k and that's just utterly ridiculous. I'm constantly online trying to find a decent priced used transmission (they're out there, but rare) and I feel that since Honda never issued a recall on it that I am being baited to buy an over priced transmission. Used parts stores having a 2001 base model transmission come into their store must register dollar signs in their eyes.

- , Bridgeport, OH, USA

Feb 102013

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

Really expensive transmission issue including the torque converter and other electrical issues. The air bag light is on and it has never been in a front end collision. The SRS light is on and there doesn't seem to be an issue with the air bag. It is going to cost me more than the car is valued at and I can't sell it or get it inspected. Honda won't do the recall because there aren't enough complaints.

- , Winooski, VT, USA

May 012012

Civic LX

Have this 2001 Honda civic LX with 120,000 miles and transmission gave up. To save me money I bought a used transmission from the junk yard with 48,000 miles. So I spend $1800 total as opposed to $2300 to rebuilt the transmission. Unf***ingfortunately the transmission gave up again after almost a year or with just over 10,000 miles on the replaced trans. The body is great with no rust I hate to part with this car. So may car bless me I tried my second luck, I had the transmission rebuilt this time with 50,000 mile warranty for $2,400 with one year to pay. Hopefully before 50,000 miles I will be done with school and can afford to buy another car but never Honda.

- , Shelby Township, MI, USA

Feb 162013

Civic LX 1.7L V4

Transmission has been replaced numerous times on this single car. Has been completely rebuilt and is fully working FOR NOW. Shifts are so rough on this automatic I might aswell have a teenager on a stick shift drive me around. Overall terrible transmission with horrible build quality and horrible reliability. Next failure will see the car sitting on a Honda dealer lot util they fix it for free.

On a side note, will be enjoying my new BMW 330i with the original transmission at 131k.. A feat no tin-can honda has yet achieved.

- , New York, NY, USA

May 212012

Civic 4 cyl

In 2004 I was severed from my job. With the money I received from this severance, I purchased my 2001 Honda Civic. I purchased this civic from the Honda used car lot and actually purchased it from the Honda Dealership's daughter. She assured me it was a great little car with no problems being reported.

Later of course, I found out this was a lie......as Honda was advised in 2001 of the possible transmission failure of these cars. 3 years later, I'm told there isn't any problems with these cars. ( I specifically asked as I couldn't afford to purchase a lemon or a mistake) I took her word and didn't do any research (big mistake).

I am a person who always takes care of their car....I was a mechanic's daughter...you know change the oil and filter every two thousand miles, keep it up and your car will last forever. In fact my last Honda, a 1989 Honda Accord last for 375,000 miles. So previously I had always been a true Honda supporter.

While driving on the interstate, I was exiting, thank goodness I took an exit to travel where I was going and all of a sudden the car just stopped and when you pressed the accelerator, it would no longer go anywhere. I had the car towed back to my home and called the Honda Dealership....of course they told me they never heard of any such thing happening, however, they would look up the recalls for these vehicles. They told me they could find no evidence of this type of problem or any recalls in regard to this problem. So I then asked what it would cost to get it fixed and how would I know if the replacement would do the same thing. They gave me a price range anywhere from 2,500 - 4,000 to fix and couldn't guarantee if the replacement would or wouldn't do the same thing.

I began calling other transmission places and found almost all of them in the price range of 1,850 - 2,000.

I then called the Honda headquarters and was told they had never heard of any such thing happening to these cars. They hadn't had any complaints. They couldn't help me at all, because there hadn't been any recalls.

I then began to research the history of 2001 civic problems, something I should have done before I signed on the dotted line.....low and behold .....I get this web site where approximately 600 complaints have been lodged in reference to the same problem happening specifically to the 2001 Honda Civic.....on this web site some of the persons were fortunate enough to have Honda pay for replacement and some had Honda pay a partial replacement cost.......600 complaints, some of which Honda repaired, but they were advising they never heard of such a problem "EVER" in the 2001 Civics. What a pile of lies !!!

It's a shame people who grew up with morals, sense of integrity and in an era where a person was obligated to being honest just for the sake of mankind, can change with the times and become so dishonest. I am still saving money to have this car repaired.

- , Fort Smith, AR, USA

Apr 172013

Civic LX

Same story as all the other transmission complaints.

No warning except a slight whining sound when I first started the car in the cold weather, but no code or anything. The car just basically stopped moving at all after I chugged my way out of traffic. Honda's asking for $4K, exactly what the car is worth. What garbage. The scariest thing is all these stories about needing multiple transmissions. I just want to say, when I signed up for this account, it said Honda wouldn't count the complaint if I didn't include the VIN. Why would I give anyone on the internet, I don't care who, my VIN? This is a legit complaint, and Honda is knowingly letting these cars pass from person to person, without formally acknowledging that they are completely unsafe. I will never buy a Honda again, I will never even be a passenger in a Honda. This car is a deathtrap. Honda is irresponsible and doesn't care at all about people.

- , Ny, NY, USA

Jul 262010

Civic LX

I bought this car brand new and maintained it pretty well, and all of the sudden, without any alert or an indication, the transmission died on me at 76K mileage.

- , Reston, VA, USA

Jul 032011

Civic EX

Disgusted that transmission failed completely, and had to be replaced at cost of $4000.00.

- , Sevierville, TN, USA

Mar 132013

Civic EX

Have had all maintenance performed on this car and one day the transmission just stops working while I was driving.

- , Yuba City, CA, USA