Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 3 of 34)

Jul 032013

Civic DX

This is a known problem with Honda transmissions, documented in TSB 04-036, diagnosed by a Honda dealership. I called Honda customer service and they said there was nothing they could do to help me.

- , Seattle, WA - Washington, USA

Jul 082013

Transmission failure! I see that this is a known problem, yet Honda is not stepping up to fix the issue. With over 800 complaints on this board alone, you would think a company like this would listen! We sold this Honda to our daughter, who now has to decide what to do, spend $2400 or junk the car! Not fair for a lemon of a car, which is not normal (in my experience) from Honda -- we have owned 6 Honda's over the past 12 years, all are still running, except this one.

Going to call Honda and see if they step up, but based on this boards response, I am not overly confident.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 302013

Civic LX

I have owned three Honda Civics (this is the 4th) ;prior to this piece of crap!!! Problem after problem after problem! I have always had the oil changed in a timely manner and started out having all the recommended maintenance until the price was too high and the Honda dealer kept giving me a list of things that were wrong that came to 1000.00 anyway. I should have gotten rid of it years ago, I have put so much $$ into it!! Now the transmission fails and I have it rebuilt and find out the exhaust has a crack in it and it needs new front motor mounts plus bushings! I guess I was lucky to make it to 110,000 miles with the transmission since I have read were many people have had it die around 48000 to 780000. I was hoping to have this car last me a few more years...I guess I was dreaming. Honda, shame on you!!! I will NEVER buy another piece of crap Honda or any Honda again! I am a single parent and have been for many years, I can't afford to have an unreliable car that could break down anywhere at anytime and that is what this car has done to me a couple of times now. Again, after this Honda Civic experience, I am done! Too bad they don't make them the way they used to, I rarely had issues with my other three and they would probably be running better than this one had I not traded them in!! Next car...I am thinking Toyota...I need to do my research though. Hondas are over rated expensive and least this one was and I am not willing to take another chance after wasting all the money I have.

- , Beaverton, OR, USA

Apr 172012

Civic LX

Car was running fine then out of nowhere my transmission slips and wont kick into third gear. Top speed I was able to go was 30 mph. Never had any kind of signs or warning just gave out one day. Almost a grand to fix and in the shop for three days. Same problem as everyone else reports torque converter burned up the oil from working too hard. I suggest to keep an eye on your transmission oil look for dark burnt looking oil.

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Jan 242013

almost got killed in line of traffic going 55 mils per hour and car just shut off.

- , Greentown, PA, USA

Apr 102013

Civic DX 1.7L

I bought a 2001 Honda Civic DX with 42k miles on it. I had the transmission fail when I reached 48k and that's just utterly ridiculous. I'm constantly online trying to find a decent priced used transmission (they're out there, but rare) and I feel that since Honda never issued a recall on it that I am being baited to buy an over priced transmission. Used parts stores having a 2001 base model transmission come into their store must register dollar signs in their eyes.

- , Bridgeport, OH, USA

Feb 102013

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

Really expensive transmission issue including the torque converter and other electrical issues. The air bag light is on and it has never been in a front end collision. The SRS light is on and there doesn't seem to be an issue with the air bag. It is going to cost me more than the car is valued at and I can't sell it or get it inspected. Honda won't do the recall because there aren't enough complaints.

- , Winooski, VT, USA

May 012012

Civic LX

Have this 2001 Honda civic LX with 120,000 miles and transmission gave up. To save me money I bought a used transmission from the junk yard with 48,000 miles. So I spend $1800 total as opposed to $2300 to rebuilt the transmission. Unf***ingfortunately the transmission gave up again after almost a year or with just over 10,000 miles on the replaced trans. The body is great with no rust I hate to part with this car. So may car bless me I tried my second luck, I had the transmission rebuilt this time with 50,000 mile warranty for $2,400 with one year to pay. Hopefully before 50,000 miles I will be done with school and can afford to buy another car but never Honda.

- , Shelby Township, MI, USA

Feb 162013

Civic LX 1.7L V4

Transmission has been replaced numerous times on this single car. Has been completely rebuilt and is fully working FOR NOW. Shifts are so rough on this automatic I might aswell have a teenager on a stick shift drive me around. Overall terrible transmission with horrible build quality and horrible reliability. Next failure will see the car sitting on a Honda dealer lot util they fix it for free.

On a side note, will be enjoying my new BMW 330i with the original transmission at 131k.. A feat no tin-can honda has yet achieved.

- , New York, NY, USA

May 212012

Civic 4 cyl

In 2004 I was severed from my job. With the money I received from this severance, I purchased my 2001 Honda Civic. I purchased this civic from the Honda used car lot and actually purchased it from the Honda Dealership's daughter. She assured me it was a great little car with no problems being reported.

Later of course, I found out this was a Honda was advised in 2001 of the possible transmission failure of these cars. 3 years later, I'm told there isn't any problems with these cars. ( I specifically asked as I couldn't afford to purchase a lemon or a mistake) I took her word and didn't do any research (big mistake).

I am a person who always takes care of their car....I was a mechanic's know change the oil and filter every two thousand miles, keep it up and your car will last forever. In fact my last Honda, a 1989 Honda Accord last for 375,000 miles. So previously I had always been a true Honda supporter.

While driving on the interstate, I was exiting, thank goodness I took an exit to travel where I was going and all of a sudden the car just stopped and when you pressed the accelerator, it would no longer go anywhere. I had the car towed back to my home and called the Honda Dealership....of course they told me they never heard of any such thing happening, however, they would look up the recalls for these vehicles. They told me they could find no evidence of this type of problem or any recalls in regard to this problem. So I then asked what it would cost to get it fixed and how would I know if the replacement would do the same thing. They gave me a price range anywhere from 2,500 - 4,000 to fix and couldn't guarantee if the replacement would or wouldn't do the same thing.

I began calling other transmission places and found almost all of them in the price range of 1,850 - 2,000.

I then called the Honda headquarters and was told they had never heard of any such thing happening to these cars. They hadn't had any complaints. They couldn't help me at all, because there hadn't been any recalls.

I then began to research the history of 2001 civic problems, something I should have done before I signed on the dotted line.....low and behold .....I get this web site where approximately 600 complaints have been lodged in reference to the same problem happening specifically to the 2001 Honda Civic.....on this web site some of the persons were fortunate enough to have Honda pay for replacement and some had Honda pay a partial replacement cost.......600 complaints, some of which Honda repaired, but they were advising they never heard of such a problem "EVER" in the 2001 Civics. What a pile of lies !!!

It's a shame people who grew up with morals, sense of integrity and in an era where a person was obligated to being honest just for the sake of mankind, can change with the times and become so dishonest. I am still saving money to have this car repaired.

- , Fort Smith, AR, USA

Apr 172013

Civic LX

Same story as all the other transmission complaints.

No warning except a slight whining sound when I first started the car in the cold weather, but no code or anything. The car just basically stopped moving at all after I chugged my way out of traffic. Honda's asking for $4K, exactly what the car is worth. What garbage. The scariest thing is all these stories about needing multiple transmissions. I just want to say, when I signed up for this account, it said Honda wouldn't count the complaint if I didn't include the VIN. Why would I give anyone on the internet, I don't care who, my VIN? This is a legit complaint, and Honda is knowingly letting these cars pass from person to person, without formally acknowledging that they are completely unsafe. I will never buy a Honda again, I will never even be a passenger in a Honda. This car is a deathtrap. Honda is irresponsible and doesn't care at all about people.

- , Ny, NY, USA

Jul 262010

Civic LX

I bought this car brand new and maintained it pretty well, and all of the sudden, without any alert or an indication, the transmission died on me at 76K mileage.

- , Reston, VA, USA

Jul 032011

Civic EX

Disgusted that transmission failed completely, and had to be replaced at cost of $4000.00.

- , Sevierville, TN, USA

Mar 132013

Civic EX

Have had all maintenance performed on this car and one day the transmission just stops working while I was driving.

- , Yuba City, CA, USA

Jan 222013

Civic DX 1.7L

Disappointed that a Honda with 47,000 miles to find out the tranny took a crap.. I inherited the car from my mom who passed away 2years ago at which it only had 24,000 miles and pretty much sat for about 8 was driven every once in awhile.

- , Pflugerville, TX, USA

Dec 312012

My transmission went out on my 2001 Honda Civic at 58,052 miles with no warning, 2 days after spending $1,000 at Honda for the 60,000 miles tune up, new brakes, rotated tires, etc.. I have followed all of Honda's recommendation every year, even though I had low mileage. I towed my car to Honda since they just worked on it and they charged me $155 for the diagnostic test, that I need a new transmission at a cost of $4,000 with a 3 yr /36k miles warranty. I was turned down for the goodwill, because my car was too old. I contacted a local transmission garage and they informed me that 20% of their business are the 2001 Honda.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 022013

Civic EX 1.7L 4 cyl

I bought a Honda for the reliability and cannot believe that with only 90,000 miles I have to replace the transmission, very sad and frustrated. Looking at complaints for this on the web there are 100's with the same issue for this model/year, you would think Honda would fess up about an issue and at worst pay half the cost to get repaired.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 052012

Civic EX 1.7L

2001 Civic EX auto trans just failed at 87K miles in spite of meticulous maintenance. I found out that Honda has extended the warranty on the transmission for this model and year BUT only for certain VIN numbers. Honda says that my particular VIN is not in the affected group. Well I obviously have evidence that says it ought to be in the affected group but Honda is refusing to help with the cost of repairs. I've filed a complaint with NHTSA in Washington DC (888-327-4236). Apparently so have 289 other people with the same car.. If enough folks take the extra step and file complaints with NHTSA, we'll get a recall issued and get reimbursement retroactively for any repairs we've had done. In my case, I haven't decided yet whether to fix it..Really shocked this happened to a Honda. More shocked Honda is only helping with repairs on certain VINs. Seems to me all these cars ought to be recalled...

- , Newport Beach, CA, USA

Jun 102006

Civic EX

This car has been nothing but a hot mess, hassle and pain. I thought a Civic would bring peace of mind, good mileage and few repairs. I was so excited to get my first Civic I cannot even tell you. I had been wanting one for as long as I could remember. I really loved everything about this car besides the huge money pit it came with. When my parents bought me this car I was a recent college grad. It was purchased from a neighbor down the street. It was just a few years old, very low miles with one reliable owner. I loved driving it and everything about it ....until it started on a path of rapid decline.

About a year into owning the car the transmission blows (the 1st of two transmissions bought for this car) I could go on and on and onnnnnn, but will spare you the run on rant that includes multiple radiators, head gaskets, axles, cv boots, timing belts and so much more fun stuff I never even knew existed prior to owning this car. This car was well cared for with regular oil changes, tire and brake maintenance. It even got full in depth checkups at key mileage points. I just recently found out after spending yet even more money that it needs a new engine. I am now officially fed up with this car and looking for a new car. The only reason I kept it this long is because I had dumped so much money in it. Being a young adult who graduated into a screwy economy, has been weathering it since, I am just now getting myself onto my feet and it is beyond disappointing that this supposedly stead fast and reliable car could not carry me a few more years. That was my parents intent when they bought me a civic and my hopes with each repair. I truly hope my next car will bring the peace of mind I always hoped this car would. I feel a bit traumatized by this whole experience as it was my first real car. I can tell you one thing that is for sure, my next car will NOT be a Honda.

- , Montrose, CA, USA

Apr 302008

Civic EX

So this is my post for my second transmission for my 2001 Honda Civic EX. All I can say is any legitimate car does not need 2 transmissions before reaching 100,000 miles under normal use. Honda = #fail

- , Montrose, CA, USA