6.0

2003 Honda Civic electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Civic:

2003 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Dec 152011

Civic EX 1.7L I4

My engine light and SRS light are always lit up on the dash. My cruise control button on the left dash works (it turns green when pushed in), but my buttons on the steering wheel don't work. My horn doesn't work, and I'm assuming the airbag doesn't work either since the red SRS light is lit up. So essentially my steering wheel is electrically dead. I've done some research online about what it may be, and it looks like a fairly common problem. Honda's have a part called a "Cable Reel or Clock spring" that fails at around 100,000 miles and renders the steering wheel electrically useless. I'm kind of savvy when it comes to auto repair, but I'd rather not mess with something that is designed to explode; and it's been a tough pill to swallow to cough up $300+ to get it fixed. You would think that if it's a common high failure part, and is directly related to a mandated safety system, then it would be a high priority recall or warranted repair since they all seem to just fail at 100,000 miles. It seems odd to me that a company would put a lifetime warranty on a muffler, but won't issue a recall for a safety concern.

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Aug 032009

Civic

When I am traveling at 65 mph with the cruise on (and usually with the a/c on too), the cruise control starts to decelerate and then shuts off if I am on a moderate incline.

Any solutions, please?