6.0

1. replace cable (3 reports)
2004 Honda Civic accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Mar 122011

Civic SI

This is not a problem I would expect from a 7 year old car. It's quite an inconvenience to not be able to pull the fuel lever and have it open.

- , London, Ontario, Canada

Feb 042008

Civic ES 4v

the fuel line cable broke. Luckily the dealer agreed to repair it since it was still close to warranty and it was a minor cost. Very frustrating since i ran out of gas and got to the gas station and could not open the gas tank... In the middle of a very cold winter.

I am the same guy who is having problem with the cluster. This is my first Honda i have driven other vehicles, never encountered this problem. I must say the engine works great, but the body was starting to rust in certain places after 2 years. Got it fixed. Now i have had the cluster problem for a year but every time i drive to the dealership i cannot duplicate the problem.

- , Orleans, ON, Canada

Mar 122008

Civic VP 4 cyl 1.6L

The fuel door cable broke or disconnected. When I'd push the lever, there was no resistance (and, obviously the fuel door didn't open). When I called the dealership, I was told that I could manually release the door by reaching behind the carpeting in the trunk and turning a wingnut, so at least I was able to fuel up my car.

An internet search seems to suggest that this is a widespread problem with 2000-2005 Civics. I believe it; my boyfriend has a 2004 Civic coupe and had the exact same problem six months later.

The dealer blames it on cold weather. BF's cable broke in August. Plus, shouldn't it be designed to take cold weather? Other models and makes don't have this problem!

- , Baldwinsville, NY, USA