2004 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jan 032011

Civic LX

The light on my dashboard for the Airbag came on years ago. I was concerned that one day I could be driving and the airbags would deploy. Whenever I had need to go to a mechanic or the HONDA dealership, I would always ask. The answer would be the same, they don't know why it is on, and it is nothing to worry about.

Recently, I got a letter in the mail from Honda to bring my car in for some Recall issue, free repair. Two hours later and the Honda at Superstition Springs in Mesa AZ tells me it is a "serious safety" issue that has to do with the seat belts and I must get it fixed for Hundreds of Dollars!

As this location has lied to me about necessary repairs in the past, and I didn't have the money I didn't schedule the repair. The light is still on. I have been noticing lately that the back of my driver's seat feels like it is going to move positions while driving. I am not sure if that has anything to do with this.

- , Mesa, USA

Dec 012013

Civic LX 1.7L

Airbag light stayed on since 2013, it's annoying. I already reported this to NSTA but I never received any reply whether it's really a campaign recall for a specified model.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 112011

For about three years so far, the air bag light has been going on and off. We have tried to ask multiple car repair shops to help fix whatever is wrong with the air bag, and no matter how many times it has been "repaired", the airbag light continues to light up. I know about the recent recall of Honda Civics have been due to airbag problems, and even though it doesn't include the 2004 year models, it still relates and I hope something can be done to repair my car.

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Dec 052013

Lifetime warranty in the US but not in Canada. Lots of complaints in North America about this faulty Honda buckle. The dealer recommend to change seat belt buckle on driver side. How can a name brand, suppose to be good, have a faulty SAFETY COMPONENT AND CAN GET AWAY WITH IT?

- , Port Moody, BRITISH COLUMBIA, canada

Aug 012010

Airbag light has been on for years. I see there is many recalls for Honda cars for airbags but not my year.

- , Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Nov 082012

Civic SI 1.7L

I owned honda civic crv odyssey since 1989. Brought this new 2004 Honda civic Si Canadian made for work and pleasure use.I follow manufacturer maintenance recommendations. Owning this new car was rated very good form dealers and manufacturer, except they forget to anticipate errors, safety, responsibility,accountability and wanting more money from consumers pocket until somebody get hurt. My other car didn't have any problems until I got this 2004 Civic Si 4 dr automatic throttle was replace due to performance 5yrs ago and now airbag light front driver side on steady and very annoying driving and while driver seat belt attach for safety.How can I sale this vehicle with idiot light on? Who wants to buy? You? Wrecker? Lemon? Where's Mr. R Nader a consumers activist to guide us? Anybody? Dealers don't care and told me to phone Honda.

- , Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada

Dec 162010

Civic EX V4

I'm scared that its not working. I just would appreciate any information someone has about this issue.

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Feb 192010

Civic Hybrid

• CVT transmission

This is related to a similar issue that others mention about the airbag light coming on. We have had this happen 4 times now over the last 2 years. Twice we were covered by warranty and they replaced the driver side seat belt tensioner both times. The 3rd time they decided that maybe this is something shorted in the electrical harness and it will cost $500 just to dig around and see if something is shorted. I decided to see how long it took for the light to go on again and it was about 1 week. Seems like it is failing quicker every time. Since I looked online for this issue I see that it is not uncommon and I don't really see where anyone really things that this issue is truly fixed.

This is a MAJOR safety concern because the airbags are disabled while the light it ON.

- , Longmont, CO, USA