2004 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jan 012015

We have had the takata airbags replaced by the Honda dealer in bow, nh. However, our airbags are still not functioning as indicated by the airbag light still being on and the diagnositce later run (at our request) by the dealer. The dealer now ways that there is a defect in our seatbelt which is disabling the airbags. We thought the seatbelts were warrantied against defect but the dealer claims it is not. Please assist.

- Warner, NH, USA

Mar 022016

SRS light on for years. Told it was nothing to worry about. Then Honda says it is a serious safety issue, I have to pay hundreds of dollars for repair. Transmission went out cost over $2500 so far, car still isn't working. Well known problem but Honda is greedy and won't pay to fix their unsafe vehicles. Car overheats when using the heater. Driver seat feels like it is going to move while driving. I will never buy a Honda ever again.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 272013

Civic 4-cyl

SRS light came on dashboard. Brought to dealership and after diagnostic test informed part of recall. No charge. It has been one week waiting for replacement part to arrive and no communication from them yet. Since getting the automobile back, the light has not appeared. More concerned with the inconsistent experience as the light should still be on and its not.

- Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA

Jul 032013

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. The contact stated the steering wheel locked without warning while entering the drive way and the steering wheel could not be turned. A private mechanic inspected the vehicle and located the failure in the ignition switch. The mechanic was able to place the vehicle in neutral gear into neutral in order to move the vehicle to a safe area. The contact also stated the drivers seat belt retracting system failed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 158,000.

- Clark , SC, USA

Jul 062012

Civic 4-cyl

SRS (airbag) light remains on. Seat belt tensioner requires replacement. The SRS airbag light controls not only airbag functionality, but also seat belt tensioners; the things that hold you in during a crash. Honda will not replace the seat belt tensioner.

- Glenside, PA, USA

Feb 172012

Civic 4-cyl

SRS light came on. Vehicle taken to dealer as advised in manual. Appointment offered for 2/21/12. Diagnosis: Driver's seatbelt buckle faulty. Part "on national backorder"--unknown when it will be available. Meanwhile, since this is the only car I have, I am forced to drive a vehicle with a useless/potentially useless seatbelt and no air bags!

- East Greenbush, NY, USA

Dec 102009

Safety restraint system (SRS) warning light came on. Read online searches and saw that owners of the 7th generation Honda Civics from 2001-2004 have similar issues.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 282011

Civic 4-cyl

I have a 2004 Honda Civic ex sedan. The driver's side seatbelt sensor that connects with the larger SRS safety system was triggered for no apparent reason. When this sensor indicates a failure, the SRS light comes on and the airbags are taken offline and prevented from being deployed. Thus, it is a serious safety concern. I took it to the dealership Honda of pasadena, where they reset the sensor, tested it, and declared that it was not faulty. So they would not replace it under warranty, nor give any discounted price for replacement. My concern is that the sensor triggered for no reason, so it is likely to trigger again for no reason, disabling airbag deployment in the case of a crash. I can't take this chance given that I and my family have a long road trip next week. So I need to pay $320 out of pocket to have the sensor replaced. Online Honda-specific forums make it clear that I'm not the only one dealing with a mysterious triggering of the driver's side seatbelt sensor. There are at least 6 other cases that I could find. I reported my case to Honda corporate, and was informed that no recall or extended warranty existed as yet for that sensor. I hope that the NHTSA will keep a record of complaints about this sensor failure.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Sep 172010

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. The supplemental restraint system light remained illuminated. The manufacturer stated that the VIN wasn't included in the Honda voluntary service warranty extension 06-009 for the supplemental restrain system trigger;therefore, they would not assist with the repair. The vehicle wasn't repaired. The failure and current mileages were 91,500.

- Cordova , TN, USA

Apr 132010

SRS light in my Honda Civic came on and stayed on. Dealer said it's the seatbelt tensioner which seems to be common in many Honda. Why no recall?

- Boulder, CO, USA

Oct 232009

When I get in my vehicle to drive I am not being protected properly by my seat belt equipment. There is no fail safe design to prevent injury or death when the vehicle begins to move in the event of human error. Design directly allows human error to disable the entire seat belt device. Even in the event of a primary design failure there is no back up. The risk of injury and death is exponential based on population and demographic. This is a serious flaw in safety design for a product that is used by the public and is quite contrary to the methods employed by a theme park as one example which contain other forms of transportation available to the public. Events: 1. I enter my vehicle 2. I turn on ignition. 3. I place vehicle in drive. 4. I operate the vehicle to my destination. Failure occurs 20% of the time if I do not notice the seat belt alarm or if I forget to fasten my seat belt. Failure of seat belt device to protect me in the event I forget results in possible risk of injury or death while operating vehicle. For whatever reason I sometimes do not notice the seat belt alarm. For whatever reason I sometimes forget to fasten my seat belt. For whatever reason my vehicle design allows me to operate the vehicle unsafely putting me and others at risk. Corrective action. Writing this complaint.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 302009

Dashboard seatbelt restraint light came on 9 months into ownership of a used 2004 Honda Civic sedan - took in for state inspection but will not pass state inspection without repair. I was informed it is the driver seatbelt switch that needs repair, cost $260.

- Henrico, VA, USA