7.0

1. sand and repaint (10 reports)
2005 Honda Civic body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Civic:

2005 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Aug 012014

Civic LX

I love Hondas. this is my 3rd Honda and just last year I convinced my mother to purchase a civic. I have a 2005 Honda Civic that still drives very well but looks like sh*t because of the paint on the roof , hood and part of the trunk is faded and peeled off making the car look so old. The rest of the body looks great. I really wanted to buy a new Civic or CRV but I will become a Toyota or Nissan lover instead of continuing to support a company that knows there was a problem and want to put a limit on the year of their problem. If my 2005 Honda has the same issues as the 2006 and newer why would a company not want to fix the problem. If the paint is defective on the 2006 and newer I am sure it is the same paint used on the 2005. I have the same description gloss faded , paint faded , hood , trunk it just makes the company look really bad no matter how big of a company you are. I wanted to give this car to my daughter and purchase something newer because I would not put a for sale sign on it the way it looks. I had a 1993 Honda Accord I sold in 2005 it looked great and I was able to get a good value for it. I then purchased the current 2005 in 2006 the car looks older then 9 years old. Hondas are suppose to hold up a lot longer than that. This is one of the reasons Honda Lovers Love Hondas.

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 012010

Civic VP V4

click to see larger images

I have a 2005 blue Honda civic that is having a major paint issue and I'm not the only one. There is a class action lawsuit against honda for this damage and they have extended the warranty for cars 2006 and newer so my car doesn't qualify they said, even though I obviously have the same issues. I went to the dealer and they immediately said I won't qualify. I called American Honda, and they said they will only act if there is an "emerging issue" with this vehicle for this year. So we need more people to complain and call American Honda with this issue. I plan to use every social networking outlet to voice my complaint-- blogs, facebook, twitter, and old fashioned calling. If this issue doesn't get resolved, this will be the last Honda I and my 200 relatives will buy.

- , Denver, CO, USA

May 162012

Civic EX Special Edition 1.7L

The Paint looks like its faded and rubbed off on the trunk part, and it has a bubble on the passenger side rear panel.

The bumper has some chips and there is some light rust forming. I feel the paint was very poorly protected and I feel Honda knows this. Civics are known for going on and on for YEARS should have quality paint plus it was the highest Model of the Civic. I do not understand why they have such horrid paint on this car.

My co-worker has a 06 Honda and its paint is still shiny and looks WAY thicker and much newer than my car.

I'm looking into getting new paint for the car before it gets so bad that I can't afford to fix it. I'm very disappointed in the paint.

I love the car otherwise. It gets amazing Highway Mileage, I got 47MPG on a recent trip to OHIO from NY.

- , Massillon, OH, USA

Feb 152013

Civic EX 1.7L

Pretty bad problem for such a large company. Can't believe in today's world they still can't get the paint right

- , Pfafftown, NC, USA

Sep 012011

Civic

Paint is oxidizing all over car for no apparent reason..

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Jul 022012

click to see larger images

paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off

Car is fine but looks like hell due to paint coming off. Have seen multiple honda's with the same issues. FIX it.

- , Claremont, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Civic DX

Blue paint is peeling from several places. At several places paint will come off if touched by hand.

- , Vienna, VA, USA

Apr 012013

Civic DX 4cl

The paint job is very bad. The paint looks worse everyday you look at it.

- , Paterson, NJ, USA

Aug 082012

Civic VP

I loved my car when I first got it but now it looks like total crap. Basically the whole car's clear coat is chipping off. It decreases the whole value of my car!

If I had known it was going to chip in only a couple of years, I would NEVER have bought it!

- , Clinton, TN, USA

Dec 082012

Civic

The paint on the hood continues to bubble, get moisture under it, and peel off. I am going to need a new paint job at least clear coat on the hood ASAP before summer comes and the paint starts to dull. Looks awful!!!!! I shouldn't be embarrassed of my car when its not even 10 years old.

- , Panama City, FL, USA

May 012003

Civic

I have a blue 2005 Honda with the paint peeling, too! I was also told it was regular wear and tear. I always take my Honda into the dealership I bought it from for service, and no one has EVER taken responsibility for it. I do not wash my car or wax it often. It doesn't get much bird poop on it either, so those are definitely NOT the reasons why the paint is peeling.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 152010

Civic EX

I am very disappointed in Honda. This is the first Honda that I have owned and WILL BE THE LAST. Had Honda shop manager tell us it's was environmental causes. Obviously Ford doesn't have a problem, my 04 truck's paint still looks new! Paint is fading, coming off to the metal in places. I had several reputable body shops tell me, NOT ENOUGH CLEAR COAT on vehicle. Honda has a BIG problem and won't own up.

Honda offered us 300$ towards reprinting vehicle. WOW, how far did they think that would go?

- , Easley, SC, USA

Jun 202008

Civic VP

All I see if chipping and fading paint jobs on cars that are my year. I see my problem all around and I am embarrassed of my car but the first few estimates I got to do a good job were $2000 and that is not in the budget since I bought my car outright. I think the paint should last for years and years with no major issues and my car has chipping and fading all over not just in one spot.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA

Sep 062011

Civic EX 4 cyl

Went to original dealership where we bought car for routine service and asked about peeling paint was told "cheap paint job" and nothing done. We have since gone to a different dealership for service and the service man called his manager out to see the car and we were told they would contact the Honda rep----we're still waiting for the call. We stopped by there today to find out what was decided and by golly, we're still waiting. This s the 4th Honda we've bought and sadly it is also gong to be the last.

Update from May 2, 2012: After going to dealership several time finally a rep came out and surprise---they aren't going to help me out because I'm out of warranty and according to them the defect should have shown up before last year. I think they know that the clear coat is the problem but yet they are covering their collective butts by saying its out of warranty. The dealership did give me a card to the paint shop they use(FORD GALPHIN) and said I should tell them I'm to get the same price they do so?? I will go down and find out the cost but this has totally soured me as far as Hondas go. To think I was actually thinking about buying a new Honda----hello Toyota

Update from May 2, 2012: WILL CALL CORPORATE IN THE MORNING TO LET THEM KNOW THAT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE/RELATIONS DEPT IS LACKING IN GOOD MANNERS AND THE WAY TO DEAL WITH CUSTOMERS OR FORMER CUSTOMERS.

- , Panorama City, CA, USA

May 012008

Civic Special Edition 1.7L I4

Only Defect on the Car and Honda wouldn't cover the cost of the Repair. Paint and Clear Coat came off and now I'm stuck with a $1000.00 repair. I've changed the Honda treats me like gold to - Honda treats me like SH*T.

- , Duncan, BC, Canada

May 152007

Civic LX

Took car to the dealer because it is under warranty. They claim it was due to my not keeping it clean (I clean my car every single week) They then said it is because water must have gotten up under the paint and caused the problem.... but it is not a warranty issue and they will not fix it. I cant afford to get it fix and in less then 4 days the metal is already rusting. How fair is this? I have no idea what I am suppose to do to remedy this situation but I need something done.

- , Saint Ann, MO, USA

Apr 182007

Civic VP

honda refuses to admit there is a problem and fix the ever growing rust spots on my less than two year old car!!!!!!!!

- , Rochester, NH, USA

Dec 122006

Civic LX 4

Paint peeled off the front corner of bumper on drivers side. Dealer said I should not use pressure hoses at car washes. Never had this problem with any of my other cars. The dealer fixed it since I had only had the car a month and had took a vacation and there was only 3,000 miles on the car. Plus the wheels were not balanced. This was last year 10-4-05. Now one year and 2 months later the paint is peeling on my back bumper and I only have 18,000 miles on the car. Very disappointed with paint job of Honda. Called the dealer and I am going to take it there the day after tomorrow. I will see what they do. I think they need to repaint the whole bumpers; front and back.

- , Baxley, GA/United States, USA