2. sand and repaint (12 reports)
2005 Honda Civic body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Civic:

2005 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 172014

Civic LX

click to see larger images

paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off

This seems to be the most common paint problem that Honda cars have seen in the last 15 years.

- , Kingsport, TN, USA

May 012014

Civic DX

I've had the car's paint touched up several times, yet after another winter another area starts to bubble up and peel off. This year the trunk developed a milky appearance on the trunk. The man who has done my repainting told me that this is a problem of the original primer done at the factory. He offered to repaint the entire car, taking all the paint off down to the bare metal and repaint the entire vehicle at a cost of about $4000 to make the vehicle look right. However the car isn't worth that much in a trade at this point--a 2005 with 80K miles on the odometer.

- , Hollidaysburg, PA, USA

Mar 022015

Civic VP 1.7L 4 CYL

Called American Honda and they state that there have been no complaints on the 2005 Civic paint, and it was out of the extended warranty. really. the car looks awful, it just started the beginning of spring and has spread like a disease. Paint coming off on hood, roof and trunk, is embarrassing. I have kept all the maintenance up and take care of it but now I need a new paint job, which the dealer quoted me $2000.00.on just those areas. It is 10 years old, however, the paint should last longer than that. I have seen older cars and they look better than mine. Of course Honda does not want to take responsibility for fixing it . I will be going back to American made cars from here on out. Honda customer service sucks. Rude, rude, people.

- , Independence, MO, USA

Apr 012015

Civic 1.8L

When you are having the car's paint peeling off, no matter how great the mechanical performance this car can be, you cannot sell it with a decent price, your stuck with this car if you don't want to sell it too low of the price. This is a very awful situation.

- , Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jul 012012

Civic 4 cyl

click to see larger images

paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off paint is chipping & peeling off

We have contacted Honda and our local dealership multiple times over the last few years and have been given the run around every time. We are extremely frustrated that Honda has failed to acknowledge the problem with the paint on our car. It was paid for with cash by us brand new and so we don't understand why Honda refuses to stand behind it's vehicles. It's quite obvious the paint was never good and obviously is defective. PLEASE FIX OUR CAR!

- , Bloomingdale, GA, USA

Feb 142015

Civic EX 1.7L 4-cyl

Honda is fixing the paint on Civics from 06-13 but not for the 05's because they say it is normal wear and tear, and that after 10 years all cars should be repainted. How sad that this car didn't even make it to the 10 year mark before the problem started and an 11 year old Mercury sitting right next to this Civic has "0" paint issues. If Honda won't stand by their product then they have lost a customer for life and word of mouth on the street. We have already steered one customer away from them, and will be doing my best to take more.

- , Franklin, VA, USA

Dec 012013

Civic LX 1.7L

I'm really disappointed that the paint is failing on my hood and roof. Overall I have liked the car. I was thinking about trading it in on a new Honda Civic, but they won't compensate me for the paint problem. I have garaged this car and taken very good care of it I have always hand washed it.

- , Glendora, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Civic LX

I love Hondas. this is my 3rd Honda and just last year I convinced my mother to purchase a civic. I have a 2005 Honda Civic that still drives very well but looks like sh*t because of the paint on the roof , hood and part of the trunk is faded and peeled off making the car look so old. The rest of the body looks great. I really wanted to buy a new Civic or CRV but I will become a Toyota or Nissan lover instead of continuing to support a company that knows there was a problem and want to put a limit on the year of their problem. If my 2005 Honda has the same issues as the 2006 and newer why would a company not want to fix the problem. If the paint is defective on the 2006 and newer I am sure it is the same paint used on the 2005. I have the same description gloss faded , paint faded , hood , trunk it just makes the company look really bad no matter how big of a company you are. I wanted to give this car to my daughter and purchase something newer because I would not put a for sale sign on it the way it looks. I had a 1993 Honda Accord I sold in 2005 it looked great and I was able to get a good value for it. I then purchased the current 2005 in 2006 the car looks older then 9 years old. Hondas are suppose to hold up a lot longer than that. This is one of the reasons Honda Lovers Love Hondas.

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 012010

Civic VP V4

click to see larger images

I have a 2005 blue Honda civic that is having a major paint issue and I'm not the only one. There is a class action lawsuit against honda for this damage and they have extended the warranty for cars 2006 and newer so my car doesn't qualify they said, even though I obviously have the same issues. I went to the dealer and they immediately said I won't qualify. I called American Honda, and they said they will only act if there is an "emerging issue" with this vehicle for this year. So we need more people to complain and call American Honda with this issue. I plan to use every social networking outlet to voice my complaint-- blogs, facebook, twitter, and old fashioned calling. If this issue doesn't get resolved, this will be the last Honda I and my 200 relatives will buy.

- , Denver, CO, USA

May 162012

Civic EX Special Edition 1.7L

The Paint looks like its faded and rubbed off on the trunk part, and it has a bubble on the passenger side rear panel.

The bumper has some chips and there is some light rust forming. I feel the paint was very poorly protected and I feel Honda knows this. Civics are known for going on and on for YEARS should have quality paint plus it was the highest Model of the Civic. I do not understand why they have such horrid paint on this car.

My co-worker has a 06 Honda and its paint is still shiny and looks WAY thicker and much newer than my car.

I'm looking into getting new paint for the car before it gets so bad that I can't afford to fix it. I'm very disappointed in the paint.

I love the car otherwise. It gets amazing Highway Mileage, I got 47MPG on a recent trip to OHIO from NY.

- , Massillon, OH, USA

Feb 152013

Civic EX 1.7L

Pretty bad problem for such a large company. Can't believe in today's world they still can't get the paint right

- , Pfafftown, NC, USA

Sep 012011

Paint is oxidizing all over car for no apparent reason..

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Jul 022012

click to see larger images

Car is fine but looks like hell due to paint coming off. Have seen multiple honda's with the same issues. FIX it.

- , Claremont, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Civic DX

Blue paint is peeling from several places. At several places paint will come off if touched by hand.

- , Vienna, VA, USA

Apr 012013

Civic DX 4cl

The paint job is very bad. The paint looks worse everyday you look at it.

- , Paterson, NJ, USA

Aug 082012

Civic VP

I loved my car when I first got it but now it looks like total crap. Basically the whole car's clear coat is chipping off. It decreases the whole value of my car!

If I had known it was going to chip in only a couple of years, I would NEVER have bought it!

- , Clinton, TN, USA

Dec 082012

The paint on the hood continues to bubble, get moisture under it, and peel off. I am going to need a new paint job at least clear coat on the hood ASAP before summer comes and the paint starts to dull. Looks awful!!!!! I shouldn't be embarrassed of my car when its not even 10 years old.

- , Panama City, FL, USA

May 012003

I have a blue 2005 Honda with the paint peeling, too! I was also told it was regular wear and tear. I always take my Honda into the dealership I bought it from for service, and no one has EVER taken responsibility for it. I do not wash my car or wax it often. It doesn't get much bird poop on it either, so those are definitely NOT the reasons why the paint is peeling.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 152010

Civic EX

I am very disappointed in Honda. This is the first Honda that I have owned and WILL BE THE LAST. Had Honda shop manager tell us it's was environmental causes. Obviously Ford doesn't have a problem, my 04 truck's paint still looks new! Paint is fading, coming off to the metal in places. I had several reputable body shops tell me, NOT ENOUGH CLEAR COAT on vehicle. Honda has a BIG problem and won't own up.

Honda offered us 300$ towards reprinting vehicle. WOW, how far did they think that would go?

- , Easley, SC, USA

Jun 202008

Civic VP

All I see if chipping and fading paint jobs on cars that are my year. I see my problem all around and I am embarrassed of my car but the first few estimates I got to do a good job were $2000 and that is not in the budget since I bought my car outright. I think the paint should last for years and years with no major issues and my car has chipping and fading all over not just in one spot.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA