7.0

2. replaced the sun visor (21 reports)
  3. fix visor with a temporary fix (binder clips, etc) (6 reports)
  4. Honda replaced under warranty (5 reports)
  5. send a written complaint to the NHTSA (3 reports)
2006 Honda Civic accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jan 012008

Civic EX 1.8L I-4

Driver side sun visor broke and would not stay up out of the way

- , Chelsea, Alabama, USA

Jun 012011

Civic DX-G 4

Visors defective in extreme heat and will not snap back up. Had to pay out of pockets twice. Finally, enough complaints made this a safety and manufacturer issue. The problem was later fixed right and the dealership reimbursed me for all the costs for replacing all the visors.

- , Calgary, Alberta, canada

Dec 312012

Civic DX

Both visors split along the seam and now won't stay up. I used ponytail holders and stretched them across to hold the visors up in place until I can get myself a day off of work to get a new set installed.

- , Apollo, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Civic EX 1.8L

If I leave the visor down during the day, when it's warmer out, it tends to split when I try to close it. I have been able to manipulate it so it goes back to 'normal', but I'm afraid this will become a permanent problem. I have seen that it has been an issue for many other people and have also seen that there has been an extended warranty occasionally issued to address this, but haven't seen anything yet.

- , Alliston, ON, canada

Jun 172010

Civic EX 1.8L

Honda replaced, but only after there was a statement released, which took a lot of Honda owners yelling about it. It has broken FIVE TIMES since I've owned it. It's almost silly.

- , Clovis, California, USA

Aug 012011

Civic LX 1.8L

My dealer replaced the first one that cracked under warranty, but told me I would have to pay when I went back with the cracked replacement. I took it apart and determined that the condition of the plastic was such that no real repair was feasible, and I've heard stories of people having five or more visors crack in hot weather.

So, I got a strip of velcro, cut it in two, and put the two velcro patches in the corners of the bottom of the visor, where they wouldn't interfere with the mirror, and in the ceiling indentation where the visor is supposed to go when you (try to) put it up out of the way when not in use. When I put the visor up, the velcro adheres and it stays, split and all. Problem solved. Simple, cheap, and effective.

I was also able to twist the pivot mechanism enough so that, when in use, it either hangs straight down (usually a BAD THING), or can be pushed up against the windshield, where it stays and does some good. No muss, no fuss. No continued replacements and no significant money spent.

I can't understand why so many people keep replacing an obviously defectively designed component (especially when they are paying each time). A couple bucks worth of velcro solved my problem and, with the visor already cracked, I'll never have to worry about a new replacement cracking.

- , Boothwyn, PA, USA

Oct 212007

Civic

We had the car a little over a year and the sun visors fell apart and fell off. I have researched online to see if anyone else had this problem. It seems this is a flaw on Honda's part. I looked at one website that had 75 complaints. I believe Honda needs to make a better interior. I love my car. It's perfect for me. But why make the interior so cheap? My husband has put over 95% of those miles on my car. It's still working great.

- , Markham, Texas, USA

Sep 122011

Civic LX 3.2L

My visors (both sides) split open a year after I bought it brand new from the dealership. when I brought it in at the time they told me my warranty JUST expired so it would cost me over $200 to replace. I left it broken. Now that I'm trying to sell it, it's a pain because people have been complaining about the visors and lowballing me on price.

I decided to contact the dealership to see the current price of new visors would be and they told me Honda extended the warranty on the visors so I could bring it back in and they would replace it for free. As long as the car has less than 100k miles, its covered.

- , Waipahu, HI, USA

Jun 102011

Civic LX 1.8L 4 cyl

Honda knows that have a problem with the sunvisors.The first day I bought the car I saw that the sunvisor was going to brake in the heat.Had it replaced once under the waranty. The person who design this sunvisor should be fired becaused he does not know what he is doing.Also problems with the wipers,have to go back to the dealer to have then replaced.What a bad design,they never had a problem until they change the way they are made.

- , Magnolia, New Jersey, USA

Nov 012006

Civic

I HAD A 2004 HONDA ACCORD THAT I TRADED IN ON A 2006 HONDA CIVIC. I GOT THE CIVIC NEW. I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE ACCORD BUT THE CIVIC HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE. FIRST THE ENGINE BLEW UP AT 37, 000 MILES. WARRANTY WAS FOR 36,000 MILES BUT THE HONDA DEALERSHIP COVERED THE EXPENSE ANYWAY. I BOUGHT IT NEW AND DISCOVERED 2 WEEKS LATER THAT THE DRIVERS SIDE DOOR WAS PAINTED A DIFFERENT SHADE OF BLUE. TOOK IT BACK AND ASKED FOR MY ACCORD BACK BUT WAS TOLD THAT I COULD NOT DO THAT BECAUSE THE PAPERWORK ON BOTH VEHICLES HAD ALREADY BEEN DONE. HAD TO DRIVE THE CIVIC WITH THE DIFFERENT COLOR DOOR FOR 3 MONTHS WHILE I WAITED FOR THEM TO GET ANOTHER ONE IN. THE SUNVISORS ARE NO GOOD. THE FIRST ONE FELL APART AFTER 5 MONTHS. WENT BACK TO THE DEALER AND THEY TOOK ONE OFF OF ANOTHER CIVIC AND PUT ON MINE. THAT ONE LASTED ABOUT 6 OR 7 MONTHS AND I WENT BACK AGAIN AND THE SALESMAN TOLD ME THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY $70.00 FOR THIS ONE. I TOLD HIM THAT I WAS NOT GOING TO PAY BECAUSE I BELIEVED THAT THE SUNVISORS WERE DEFECTED. HE SAID THAT THEY HAVE HAD A LOT OF PEOPLE COMING BACK FOR THAT REASON. MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN TAKING IT APART WHEN IT QUITS WORKING AND GLUING IT BACK TOGETHER AND IT DOES HOLD LONGER THAN THE NEW ONES. I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER DEFECTIVE SUNVISOR, I WANT ONE THAT IS MADE CORRECTLY. WHAT GOOD WILL ONE ANOTHER ONE DO ME? NO MORE HONDAS OF ANY KIND FOR ME. NEW OR USED.

- , Jonesborough, Tennessee, USA

May 262011

Civic ES 1.6L

Honda builds a great small and economical car, but the sun visors are not a better idea. I now have replace both sun visors since I bought the care in 2006. The first was replace under warranty and the second cost me out of pocket. I have owned cars for the past 50 years and never have replaced a simple, non-mechanical visor ever. Honda get with it and develop a simple visor that doesn't break and the start of the summer season.

- , Williamsburg, VA, USA

Jul 092010

Civic EX Coupe 4 cyl

I have a total of 7 Hondas in my family. One is a 93 civic ex coupe that we bought new an now has 275,000 miles on it and nothing replaced, except timing belt, water pump. This 06 has the issue with the sun visor and pain in the ass when looking out of the car while backing up.

- , Oak Harbor, Wash., US Minor Outlying Islands

Jul 092007

Civic EX 1.8L

I had the visor replaced and it came apart again. It is being held on by zip ties. A Honda dealer said they would only replace it one time.

- , Ahoskie, NC, USA

Jun 012007

Civic EX 4 cyl

Okay...my second of many entries I will make here about this car.

How in the world does a car company with the resources of Honda design such pieces of absolute crap for sun visors? It is a piece of plastic on a hinge! This is not high-tech science! I bought this car new in 06. The week after the warranty ran out, the driver's sun visor seemed to pull apart. The dealer saw it and graciously replaced it for nothing even though it was officially out of warranty.

Less than a year later, it split apart again and for some time it just hung there useless. Then one day, it just fell off onto the floor. Stubborn as I am, I refused to pay for another so I donned sunglasses and went about my way. Then the passenger side began to flap and hang uselessly. Then one day, I just ripped it off and threw it in the back seat.

I argued with the dealer that they had a real racket going. They sell sun visors for $55 a piece knowing in 6 months they will just fall off again and they will get another $110. I have decided this is one way for Honda to have revenue continually coming in.

Currently I have no sun visors in my car at all though I have a new replacement set. I have been without sun visors for probably 3 years of this car's 5 year life. I feel myself lucky. There are many stories of people who have replaced theirs double digit times.

Honda should stand by it anyway. Why would a company that size, jeopardize its reputation over sun visors? It makes no sense...

- , Asheville, NC, USA

Oct 032010

Civic LX 3.2L

Today I am going to pay up to and around 80 dollars to fix my driver side sun visor on my vehicle. Yeah its a freaking pain in the rear. Oh no.. this isn't the first time this happened either. I believe I have already replaced it THREE TIMES already. That's for the driver side sun visor... as for the passenger side, it's been replaced twice. So for a total of around $340.00 that I've spent so far to replace four of my sun visors. I don't think I'll ever buy another honda again.

- , Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Sep 012008

Civic EX 4cyl

My visors, much like every other reviewer, fell apart at the seams and are hanging in my face all the time. I had them replaced under warranty in 2008 but they are broken again (11/3/2010) and I will have to pay approximately $80 per visor! Honda needs to recall these unsafe, cheap visors. This is my 4th Honda and MY LAST. I am so disappointed in my Civic.

Update from Jul 10, 2012: Honda sent me paperwork to fill out for reimbursement of the visors. It's been over a year and I've not gotten any money. I couldn't even find a phone number or address to check up on it.

- , Martinsburg, WV, USA

Sep 012010

Civic 1.8L

I have a used 2006 Honda Civic. My driver side visor separated into 2 pieces and wouldn't fold up. When I replaced it the stem on the old visor had a date of manufacture tag with a 2007 date on it so apparently this is the second time in less than 56,000 miles. I'm sure it won't be the last time. I'm a mechanical engineer and I looked at how this thing is designed and its made to fail if it gets warm and the plastic softens. Obviously in summer that happens to visors...SHOCKING...how could Honda have anticipated that.

- , FAirview PArk, OH, USA

Jul 202007

Civic EX 1.8L

Sun visors on both driver and passenger sides constantly split open causing them to hang down (unable to put sun visor up) blocking line of sight. Visors have been replaced once under warranty but continually break. Forced to drive with hanging visor blocking line of sight or driving with no visor at all risking sun blinding at certain time of the day. Upon looking at forums online I've noticed that several, several people have this same issue. Visors appear to be melting with heat from sun. Bad design since the visor will obviously be exposed to the sun.

- , Grantville, GA, USA

Sep 012010

Civic EX

The driver side visor broke and does not stay up. This is the third broken visor within 50k mi. The two prior were repaired under warranty. I haven't asked the dealer to fix this one yet.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 032010

Civic LX

Both my visors won't fold up and I'm unable to see out the windshield safely when driving on a hot day. When I push it off to the side; I can't see out the side window. I've had the passenger side visor replaced when it was under warranty. I called Honda and they don't see this as a safety problem and said I would have to replace it at my expense. This is definitely a design flaw and a safety hazard. When you can't position the visor in a way that it's not blocking your vision when driving is not only stressful, but unsafe.

Honda needs to recall these visors. I've owned Toyota for many years and have never had visor problems. My husband had a 1999 Honda and never had visor problems. Why don't Honda replace the visor with 1999 parts? I want my visors replaced by Honda because the part is defective, and should be their responsibily and their dollar, not mine. Do I have to have a car accident because the visor is blocking my view before Honda recognizes this as a safety problem before putting out a recall?

- , Campbell, CA, USA