2006 Honda Civic drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 012016

Hello! a very well-known issue with the 06-09 Honda Civic is a tendency for the engine blocks to crack. Frequenting online forums and websites, it seems a wide range of people are affected from less than 1,000 miles to up to 200,000 miles. That being said, it seems this car is a literal time bomb. There have been incidents of people driving on the highway only to rapidly lose power to all systems, including the brakes and power steering. Needless to say, this is a profound safety hazard, not only to the driver, but other drivers as well! that being said, Honda admitted that the tendency for blocks to crack was due a faulty casting process. They had issues an initial 8 year warranty and increased that to 10 years. As of late, many current owners have still had their blocks cracked. Only this time, Honda is refusing to fix their faulty product. As such, I wanted to bring attention to this issue and hope something can be done to alleviate this matter. A car's block under normal maintenance and use should never catastrophically fail, let alone risk people's lives! even if a recall isn't enforced, at least hold Honda accountable to their faulty engines and place an extended warranty for this specific issue. Thank you.

Feb 102010

Civic 4-cyl

Transmission is failing it is flaring. RPM rises to 6-7K RPM and it still around 20-30 mph. And it slowing increasing speed. This is dangerous, when I am trying to merge in traffic I don't have the acceleration I merge on highway or just getting on a street.

- Spring Mills, PA, USA

May 082012

This Civic has a defect on rear control arms causing tires to wear uneven and rapidly and making a horrible noise coming from the back this is unsafe issue I replace the rear shock absorbers, the whell hubs and ofcourse the tires and the problem still there until control arm be replaced for an adjustable one for proper aligment, ,, Honda motor company is not paying for anything, I think costumers don't have pay for Honda mistakes that's not fair.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 252014

Bolt that connected tensioner, to belt sheared off. Causing vehicle to malfunction. Car became not drivable. Might have caused injury at high speed, or loss of control. A common problem with the 2006 Honda Civic, according to internet complaints! design problem? one of the most prevalent problems reported.

- Palos Hills, IL, USA

Sep 272013

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, she heard a loud noise and the vehicle failed to shift into gear. The vehicle was stopped and then towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the torque converter and the transmission would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 112,000. Updated 11/13/13

- Liberty Township, OH, USA

Aug 052013

Civic 4-cyl

Within the last month, our 2006 Honda Civic on two separate occasions, with two different drivers, when the transmission was placed into reverse when backing from a driveway, did not come to a stop. Despite putting our foot firmly on the brake, the car did not stop and continued in reverse. Only by putting the transmission into drive did the car stop from continuing into reverse. On August 30, the car when placed into reverse gear when backing from a parking space, went forward instead. Our car has been regularly maintained and serviced and never had an issue prior to this. We are deeply concerned that the car poses a safety issue, because when moving from a parked position, moves in a direction other than the one that the driver chooses, and did not stop when moving in reverse. This has occurred three times to date within the month with two different drivers.

- Rowland Hts, CA, USA

Aug 062013

Civic 4-cyl

I went to the store with my 3 year old and on the way home I was at an intersection at a stop sign and I started to go left and my car bucked and started making grinding sounds very loud. It would not go anywhere and I put the car in park and the car rolled back. I turned off the car and put my E brake on. I had to have it towed. The guy who towed my car said the axle broke. He said it must have been going for some time now. I just bought this car on 2/22/13. This should not have happened.

- Wingdale, NY, USA

Mar 302012

Car has had several incidents of the third gear popping out or grinding while engaging. It is a 2006 Honda Civic si. Contacted dealer about the issue and even though there is a technical service bulletin out from Honda saying it is a known issue, they wanted $1,500 dollars to repair it. This needs to be recalled as it is a danger while driving to have your car not properly engage the gears and a quick internet search tells me there are thousands more with the same issue as me. This problem is not only an immediate issue while driving but will lead to faster clutch wear which could put the timing of repairs off of a normal schedule and a clutch failure while driving could be fatal.

- Manchester , MO, USA

Feb 012013

Civic 4-cyl

Had the 3rd gear transmission problem fixed at 45,000 miles and since then it has always driven different. Kept going back to the dealership and told me there was nothing wrong with it. Now at 87,000 it got taken in to get the front fenders and hood re-painted because of the faulty manufacturer paint. The car started clicking before I took it in and when pressing the clutch noise would go away. They did an estimate for my throwout bearing and the next day they called me saying the vehicle would move at all, that I need it a new transmission. Now the dealership expects me to pay them $4,000 in total for labor and to put a new trans in the car. I have always had problems with this dealership and had a few complaints towards Honda. I also had the motor top gasket replaced because it was leaking oil and got covered under warranty since it was part of a recall.

- Lake Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Feb 132013

Civic 4-cyl

Automatic transmission failure and electric coolant temperature sensor failure in 2006 Honda Civic ex. Noticed change in driving feel over past couple of weeks--shifting was jerky, not smooth; seemed to rev slightly higher at times while driving. Engine warning light came on 2-13-13 when starting engine. Also, green light next to "drive" on the dash started blinking. Took car into Honda dealership the next day. Was told that the transmission fluid was burnt, transmission had hydraulic issues, gears not shifting properly. New transmission installed. Had all previous regular maintenance performed at Honda dealership, on schedule.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 192007

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was difficulty shifting into third gear. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the third gear syncrose would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and offered to pay a portion of the repair costs along with the dealer. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 22,000 and the current mileage was 66,413.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Aug 152012

Civic 4-cyl

The transmission has a rattling noise. Little apple Toyota Honda told me that I would need to replace the entire transmission. I purchased the car from little apple a little over a year ago. I also purchased an extended warranty for two years. This repair will not be covered because they said that I have exceeded the mileage.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

May 302012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact was driving 30 mph when the vehicle popped out of third gear and into neutral. The contact stated the vehicle did not stall when the shifter popped out of gear. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer for inspection or repairs. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Feb 092012

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving on I-635 in dallas in stop and go traffic just before the hwy 75 exit in the far left lane. There was an accident and construction ahead so traffic was moving very slow. My car began to vibrate slightly and then inexplicably stalled. I put it in park and then attempted to restart it. The car restarted fine but I was unable to move it out of park. After several minutes the traffic cleared and we were stuck and unable to move while sitting in the fast lane. I was petrified and called 911. After about 15 minutes I called 911 again and explained again that we were stopped dead in the fast lane of a freeway and needed someone fast. After about 30 minutes several police officers, including officer reyes, finally arrived and parked behind my vehicle to signal cars to move over. They attempted to move my car out of park as well but were not successful. They called a wrecker and my car was towed to lute riley Honda. On Feb. 10th, the service mgr at lute riley Honda said the technician found oil in the PCM and that may have been the cause of the issue but he wasnt sure. He blamed the oil on someone spilling oil during an oil change but I said that was impossible since I hadnt had my oil changed in over 30 days. I asked if it could be related to the recall issues and he said no, all the recall issues had been taken care of. I drove the car back to houston and it was fine until yesterday when it repeated the same issue-the car engine would start but it would not move out of park. It was towed to gillman Honda, houston, tx and they told me it was a bad brake switch and PCM.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Aug 272011

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving about 25mph on a residential street when I smelled rubber burning and then my car suddenly stopped working. We had it towed to a trusted friend's shop to see what the problem was and then to fix it. We found that the tensioner bolt was broken. Our mechanic has done lots of research on this problem and have found that other owners of 2006 Honda Civics are also having the same problem. He is in the process of trying to replace this bolt. I only have 75,000 miles on this Honda and am very disappointed with this fairly new car. I hope it can be fixed.

- Sequim, WA, USA

Jan 062011

2006 Honda Civic hybrid experiences frequent, significant loss of power at random times due to battery re-calibrations which a) prevent electric motor assist and B) use engine power for charging resulting in a significant loss of power for accelerating from stop, entering freeways or climbing hills. The Honda ima system (integrated motor assist) uses an electric motor to augment the small 1.3L engine. Because the electric motor is locked out during battery recalibrations, there is a noticeable 20% loss of power for acceleration. When the gasoline engine is also being taxed with generating electric power for battery recalibration, the total loss of power is very significant and results in an already slow car (0-60 in 13.5 seconds) becoming dangerous when trying to cross intersections or merge into freeway traffic. My research suggests that this problem stems from premature degradation of the hybrid battery pack.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

May 052010

The integrated motor assist system fails for no apparent reason. This has happened multiple times. The first time I had parked the car overnight and the battery charge indicator was near the top. When I drove to town in the morning and stopped at a stop light on a hill, when I accelerated there was no motor assist and the car was very underpowered. The battery charge indicator showed no charge. It does charge again to normal, but you never know when this may happen. I believe this could be very dangerous in on a freeway on ramp or two lane road passing situation.

- Woodburn, NE, USA

May 052010

- Woodburn, NE, USA

May 152010

Civic 4-cyl

2006 Honda Civic hybrid (30,000 miles) has loud rattle noise going over bumps. Noise was diagnosed as engine mount cavitation by Honda engineer. Dealer tried repair recommended by Honda engineer consisting of placing O-rings between engine and mount. This eliminated the noise. 1000 miles later the right engine mount broke and engine dropped in frame. Dealer replaced right engine mount per tsb but noise still exists and now Honda is stating that the noise is a characteristic of the vehicle and refuses to repair. The noise was not present in the first twenty thousand miles of driving. The noise is now a very serious concern of another imminent engine mount failure. If this occurs at high speed and engine again drops in frame, control of the vehicle could be lost.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Sep 022010

Bought car in May 2006, by Aug 2006 I was only getting 36 miles per gallon. Brought car to dealer. They said they replaced a part to fix problem. Problem not fixed! brought car back 3 more times and dealer said I was driving the car wrong. I told them to keep the car for a week, they did but still could not get the mileage over 37 mpg. They told us they didn't know what the problem was and there was nothing they could do about it. Went through 3 back tires on drivers side. They still wouldn't do anything about it! I had to pay for it! the car was getting worse and worse. Finally we took it to another dealer. They found that something was broken by the back tire (which is why I had to keep replacing them) and I needed a new transmission. All of that was covered under warranty. That was in September 2010. They also told me that's why I never got the mileage I was supposed to get. That was when they told me that I needed to get the software update!! now my car is not drivable! the battery doesn't charge, the car cant accelerate! the service manager and the foreman told Honda America that the car is not safe and Honda America doesn't care! I filed a claim and I was told that there is no problem with the car. I just need to get used to driving it differently! when I pressed them and told them my car is now undrivable, I was told that they had nothing else to say to me! Honda really messed this one up! people are going to get killed driving these cars....and they know it! my car was a lemon since the day I bought it! paid $5,000 extra for it, never got the mpg, and now I cant drive it!

- Budd Lake, NJ, USA