2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 052007

Civic 4-cyl

While backing out of my garage the accelerator sped out of control while in reverse causing my 2006 Honda Civic hybrid to crash into my house.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 202006

Civic

I stopped at a crosswalk to let individuals cross and while I was stopped the engine was revving and it felt like I really needed to push down hard on the brake to keep the car from going forward.. a little scary.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Dec 122006

Civic 4-cyl

After backing down my driveway I put my foot on the brake and shifted from reverse to drive. The vehicle accelerated very rapidly. I kept my foot on the brake, shifted to neutral and turned off the ignition. After restarting, the car responded normally when it was shifted into drive. Fortunately, my foot was firmly on the brake so there was no property damage or personal injury. However, this greatly concerns me. I noted your website has complaints from other people that have experienced the same problem. I called Honda and they indicated there were not aware of any problems of this sort. They advised me to take the car to a dealer to see if they could replicate the problem. I will do so, but the dealer and I both agree it is highly unlikely they will be able to replicate the problem. I believe my experience, as well as the experience of other persons who have contacted you, indicates there is a strong likelihood of a potentially serious safety defect that could lead to property damage and serious personal injury.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Oct 112006

Civic 4-cyl

Sudden acceleration when parking.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Jun 012006

Civic 4-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle accelerated suddenly on three separate occasions while coming to a stop. The vehicle was returned to the dealer who was unable to determine the cause of the problem. Updated 9/13/2006 - the consumer traded the vehicle in with only 900 miles on it.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Jul 042006

Civic 4-cyl

Unintended acceleration. 10 miles after a cold start-up, the car went to full throttle. I was able to hold it in place with the brakes. I turned the ignition off momentarily, but the car went back to full throttle. I then turned it off for about 15 seconds, and the car reverted to normal operation. The cruise control was "on", but not engaged. No speed had been set after the initial startup. This is a hybrid with full throttle by wire. I took the car to the selling dealer, who had no service bulletin on this fault. He said I would have to leave it until they could replicate the fault. Knowing the futility of this, I declined to leave the car. The fault has not reappeared.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 012006

Civic 4-cyl

New 2006 Honda Civic - major issue with the low idle (650) RPM instantly increasing to around 1000 RPM when the steering wheel is slightly turned, causing the car to jump ahead. You must have your foot firmly placed on the brake pedal at all times. If you remove your foot from the brake and turn the wheel, the car lurches forward. I believe this a safety concern and an annoyance. Honda factory tech claims this how it is designed. According to dealer, other similar 06 Civics have same condition.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jul 162006

Civic 4-cyl

I bought a 2006 Honda Civic LX on 02/21/06. I was at the mall on date below and went to back out of my space, when a van backed out and we hit bumpers. I was going to pull back into my spot to see the damage and when I put the car into drive, it took off like a rocket and would not stop...I had both feet on the brake trying to stop it, and it would not stop. I hit a 2006 cobalt, my car flipped over onto its side hit a 2003 Chevy driving in between these two parked cars. I then drove over the cobalt and when I came to the end of these cars, my car came out of them and flew through the air over into the parking space across the parking lot. The deputy sheriff and his sergeant came to the scene of the accident and said that there was no way that Honda Civic could have done what it did and to drive over the cobalt without something being wrong with the accelerator pedal or the computer. I went onto Honda's web site and found that Honda Civics were on a recall for the accelerator pedals. I called the dealership where I purchased the car and told them what happened and told them about the recall, and the new car manager told me it was for the two door Civics only, and maybe I should have turned the key off when this happened. I then called the general manager at the same dealership the next day and told hmi what happened and his comment was "that was very unfortunate". I have not heard from Honda since this happened. I have tried to contact Honda, and they say they will call back, but never do. I don't want this car and I don't feel that I should pay for this death trap of a vehicle. I feel that it is a safety issue now. I wanted Honda to know that the 4 door Civic's should be on a recall also. I think Honda is not going to stand up and say there's a problem. I know what I did that day, and I know that that Civic could not have done what it did in that short distance without something going wrong somewhere in that car.

- Bellaire, OH, USA

Jun 042006

Civic 4-cyl

The vehicle idled in my driveway for 1-2 minutes. I backed the vehicle down the driveway. I put my foot on the brake and shifted into drive. The vehicle unexpectedly revved up to 3-4000 RPM without pressing the accelerator. As my foot was firmly on the brake, the vehicle did not move. I took the vehicle to a dealership. The dealership checked the vehicle and test drove it. They could not find a problem or replicate the incident. No repairs were made to the vehicle.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

May 182006

Civic 4-cyl

The rapid, delayed deceleration that occurs with the vehicle when you let off the accelerator pedal poses a safety issue. The car has a completely non-linear, rapid, sudden deceleration approximately 1 second after letting off the accelerator. This can cause unexpected vehicle over steer, particularly when the car is driven in a spirited fashion which is its target market.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Jan 302006

Civic 4-cyl

When lifting off the accelerator car continues without decelerating for more than 1 second. This can cause problems in traffic. I must anticipate my deceleration or use the brake pedal suddenly when I would not have to in another car. I believe this presents a significant risk. Further when deceleration does occur it is extremely abrupt. If I am turning and I lift off the throttle the sudden deceleration and its unpredictable onset can cause lift-throttle over steer or a tightening of the line on which the car travels. In short, the car can unpredictably go not where it was pointed.

- Lititz, PA, USA

Mar 282006

Civic

All 2006 Honda Civic si models continue to accelerate for approximately 1 second(s) after closing the throttle. This programmed "rev holding" compromises the ability to safely control the car and stop it. This is a drive-by-wire issue that must be fixed.

- La, CA, USA