2008 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Civic:

2008 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 102014

Civic

I was stopped at a red light with my foot firmly on the brake with the car in drive. Without warning the engine revved up and the car lurched forward a foot or two.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 012014

Civic 4-cyl

2008 Honda Civic. Consumer writes in regards to engine block failure. The consumer stated the engine block problem should be treated as a recall due to the severity of the problem. When the engine overheated and stalled, he lost power steering and brakes. At that point, the steering and brakes became very difficult. The consumer stopped to the dealer, where they showed him the 4 problem areas of the engine where the leakage occurred. Also, the bearing on the air conditioning compressor pulley started making a noise. The entire compressor had to be replaced. The consumer also had difficulty starting the vehicle and after 10 seconds, the vehicle would start. On occasion, he had trouble shifting from first to second gear. It would not shift, and he had to come to a complete stop and start in first gear. Updated 04/10/14

- Wooster, OH, USA

Feb 032014

Civic

At less than 55,000 miles, I noticed my 2008 Honda Civic coupe would vibrate excessively while in reverse, especially during start up. Checked on the internet and found many other people with the same problem. Went to a mechanic to take a look, and they found 3 motor mounts cracked. After replacing the mounts (not cheap), my Civic no longer vibrates on reverse. It was definitely cracked mounts that caused this issue. I bought this car brand new in 2008 at the Honda dealership, and always take great care of my car and make sure all service is done on time. It's unfortunate that the mounts were made so cheap for such a 'reliable' company... now the burden is on the consumer to spend hundreds to fix this issue.

- Orange, CA, USA

Jun 042012

Civic

I was parking in a high school parking lot. I "rolled" into the space and when I applied the brakes the engine "accelerated". I went over the cement block at the front of the space and through a chainlink fence and onto the sidewalk. Usually, that walkway is filled with children. I initially thought the floormat got caught up under the gas pedal. I took pictures immediately and it did appear that exaccerbated the problem. Bell Honda in phoenix said "they could not repeat the problem" and dismssed me. It has since happened to my daughter and husband. Fortunately they both applied the emergency brake. After the last time, we took the car to superstition springs Honda. They said "they could not repeat the problem and nothing has come from Honda." I have read where others have had this problem. I just thank god that so far no one has been killed or that the car didn't surge over a cliff on our trip to yellowstone.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 052014

Civic

Car has been losing coolant for the last several months intermittnely. Recently it was run down to almost nothing before I discovered it from a crack that cannot be found as of yet in the engine block area. Car started to overheat. Took to Honda dealer and they could not find the leak, though there is a voluntairly recall / tsb on the R18 engine cracking and leaving motorists stranded on the freeway. Will have to wait for car engine to completely fail before any real results from dealer/ Honda.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Jan 312014

Civic

The engine overheated at highway speed. Later found that the coolant level was very low due to engine block cracking issue. Reference Honda sb-08-044 and NHTSA # 10030876.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Jan 282014

Civic

Noticed car was running loud when started and louder when putting in reverse. Brought car in for 55,000 mile service and also asked them to check out the motor mounts, since I had check on google to see if there were any issues with 2008 Civics. Yes cracked motor mounts is an issue with 2007 and 2008 Civics. Service department confirmed that there was a cracked motor mount in the back of the engine that needs to be replaced. I have taken very good care of this car and also bring it in for service on time. Very upset that this car only has 54,702 miles and it has a cracked motor mount. This car has been in a garage from day one and I only drive it to and from work since I purchased this car new. I feel that this is a defect in the design and should be looked at for a possible recall. This car is housed in Florida and does not have the winter elements of the North. Since the car has a total of four motor mounts wondering if they will all start to fail. Service department told me it would cost over $500 + dollars to repair one. So if the other three fail we are talking over $2,000 + in repair costs. This is ridiculous for such a low mileage vehicle.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jun 062013

Civic

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle started vibrating violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the motor mount needed to be repaired. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 63,500.

- 893 Gilchrist Walkway #2, CA, USA

Jan 092014

Civic

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. The contact stated the engine mount had broken causing the vehicle to vibrate upon starting. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer, who replaced the motor mounts. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Trinity, NC, USA

Nov 182013

Civic

Civic coupe w 75K, no prior engine/power train problems overheated while on the highway. We turned up the heater and fan and made it home. Checked the next morning and there was a great loss of coolant. Took it to the original dealer who diagnosed it as 'porous engine block'. Honda will replace the block at no charge.

- Highland Park, IL, USA

Nov 152013

Civic 4-cyl

Engine temp gauge pegged to hot, went to garage - engine block cracked in front - 2nd such incident this garage has seen in two months on this model car; all maintenance has been performed to date @ required intervals; no known source of damage other than defect.

- Island Heights, NJ, USA

Nov 082013

Civic 4-cyl

In November 2013 my 2008 Honda Civic experienced a motor mount failure. The vehicle has been well maintained, driven easy and only has 57,000 miles on it. Investigation on the internet shows this to be a very common problem. Honda refuses to do anything about the issue, other than charging their customers a hefty fee for the repairs. This has become a well documented manufacturing/design defect for this generation of Civics. The fact Honda refuses to accept responsibility and places the repair burden on their customers is very troubling. I would hope either the government steps in or a class action lawsuit is filed to make Honda?S customers whole.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 252013

Civic

My car was stolen outside of a salvation army in buena park at approx 2 pm. The car has since been spotted in lomita being driven by a tall white man with tattoos and a shaved head. The car is a 2008 black Honda Civic.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Civic

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. The contact stated that upon starting the vehicle, there was a loud noise and the vehicle began shaking. The contact also stated that the failure increased after shifting into reverse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the motor mount had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Jul 012013

Civic 4-cyl

Daughter was driving car and without any warning the engine started to lose power. She indicated that she pressed on the gas and the car just slowed down. She lost power steering control but was able to pull the car off to the side of the road. The car was towed to the nearest Honda dealership and it was determined by their technicians that the engine block had cracked causing coolant and shut the engine down. There were no warning lights and no indication on the gauge panel that there were any issues or that the car was in the process of overheating.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 062013

Civic

Driving down 270 in columbus Ohio doing 67mph when I noticed when I pressed on the gas to pass into the next lane, nothing happened. I down shifted into 4th gear and tried again, nothing. Luckily I was able to cross over 3 lanes of traffic and coast down the off ramp on westbroad. I called aaa and had them tow it to my step fathers shop were him and his friend build hot rods in their spare time. After taking a look under the hood and running a couple of diagnostic tests they determined that the engine block was cracked and the car over heated. No engine light came on!

- Lewis Center Ohio, OH, USA

Dec 152012

Civic 4-cyl

I exited freeway and was waiting at a red signal light when the engine on its own speeded up to 3000+ RPM. It held at this elevated RPM for about a minute while the car remained stopped (foot brake was holding). The engine dropped back down to idle on its own. Headlights and occupant heater was on with fan at lowest setting. Radio was on. Floor mat was not out of place. My foot position remained unchanged except for applying extra force during the elevated RPM event.

- Saratoga, CA, USA

Dec 072012

Civic 4-cyl

The car was at a stop sign. It suddenly accelerated to 2000 RPM from the idle speed of 850 RPM. It this jumped up to 5500 to 6000 RPM and continued like that until I stopped the engine. Fortunately, I had my foot on the brake, which restrained it sufficient until I was able shut off the engine. I restarted the engine and it continued to accelerated at the same speed. I stopped it. After the third try it started normally. It had previously jumped to 850 to 2000 RPM several times, be it never went totally out of control before.

- Union City, CA, USA

Jun 202012

Civic 4-cyl

Car started at usual time around 8 am and started vibrating. A very loud exhaust noise started to begin and the car began shaking. The vibrating noise was so loud and everyone in the car could feel the vibration. The front steering wheel as well as the seats were also shaking. Vibrating continued throughout the day and was gone at times when this first began but as days went by it became louder and more obvious by others outside of the car. The car now continues to vibrate not only in the morning but at all times of the day. It shakes at park, drive, and reverse. Car is very uncomfortable to drive and the noise can become very distracting. The car also vibrates so much during these times that I am afraid that something will happen on the highway and am worried about this. Honda dealer will not cover this under power train warranty because the car is now passed the warranty for power train which is 5 year/60,000 miles. Please look into this matter. It seems very common as I researched online and many people are having this issue on their Honda's which most seem after the 2005 models, more common around 2007 + 2008 models.

- Ludlow, MA, USA

Jan 022012

Civic 4-cyl

Water pump pulley/tensioner quit at 70 mph. Pump and tensioner were replaced. Six months later, car quit again, same thing. Only this time the bolt that mounts the tensioner sheared off in the engine block. Honda has recalled this vehicle in 2006 and 2007 for this same issue. (service bulletin 248422 and 248421) and action number NHTSA 10026791. No recalls for 2008 yet. They have replaced (under some kind of warranty) the engine block and the water pump/pulley/tensioner caused by the second break down. There needs to be a recall for 2008, as well. Honda needs to pay for my first repair, as well.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA