2008 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Civic:

2008 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jun 192016

Civic

Addendum: Reference ODI number: 10748966. As of 6/19/2016 my Honda Civic has a recall for the passenger side airbag (VIN verified). I am not suppose to let anyone sit in the passenger seat until a Honda dealer fixes it. So now I have no airbag and no seat belt on the driver's side (because it deployed without any reason)...I also have a loaded time bomb on the passenger side that Honda wants to fix...but still no recall on the driver's airbag because Honda doesn't think it needs to be recalled. Why isn't the NHTSA making Honda recall 2008 Honda Civics for the driver side airbag" does someone have to die first" my god, the driver side airbag is ticking time bomb!

- Bonne Terre, MO, USA

Jan 102016

Civic

Ran over a shallow pot hole on a city street. The car was going 10-15 miles per hour (5 feet after a complete stop at a stop sign). The car was traveling straight across a one way stop. The driver's side air bag exploded (did not deploy) and seat belt stopped retracting. Damage was also noted to the base of windshield on the driver's side.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 192015

Civic

On 5/19/2015 the driver air bag light came lit up on my cluster and my seat belt light comes on and beeps even though I have my seat belt on the correct way.

- San Bernardino , CA, USA

May 192014

Civic 4-cyl

Collided with truck and damaged front and right quarter panel (approx. $6400 damage) collision threw me from driver's seat to passenger door. I was wearing seat belt as prescribed. The seat belt was completely stretched across both seats but did not restrain me from crossing to opposite side of car. Nor did any air bags deploy (nether side or front). SRS system showed activation.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 102008

Civic

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. On September 10, 2008, the contact noticed that her seat belt would not latch. The following morning, she was able to fasten the seat belt, but the seat belt warning light kept illuminating on the instrument panel. While driving at an unknown speed, the warning chime sounded and then stopped shortly afterwards. She has not taken the vehicle to the dealer for repair. The current mileage was 20,250 and failure mileage was 20,198.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 252008

Civic 4-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Honda Civic on April 16, 2008. I have heard a rattling in the seat belt tensioner since I first got the car. I brought it to the dealership today and they told me that the Honda tech line said it couldn't be fixed. They said they drove two other like vehicles and it made the same noise. I would like to have the seatbelt tensioner replaced - I am fearful that the belt will malfunction and is not safe - it is rattling for a reason and I think there is a design flaw if other cars of same make and model are doing it too.

- Trumbull, CT, USA