2009 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Civic:

2009 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Apr 122012

Civic 4-cyl

I brought a Honda Civic 2009 in 2012, April 12. The Honda was supposed to be sold with a power train warranty to bring car up to date for 36000 miles/3 yr. Honda did not offer an extended warranty for these purposes. They called a year later to see if we would then extend the vehicle to 120 miles. We had already purchased an additional warranty called assurance pay to paylink approx $112 mo. We were one payment to the last and Honda finally called, we purchased their warranty too. The car should have been automatic from the sale date. Door locks and ignition/cylinder work and other repairs such as break work have been performed on vehicle since. I am reporting unfair selling practices. Details and repair work will be submitted upon request. Thus vehicle safety issues upon purchase.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Feb 022011

Civic

Front right motor mount is broke, was vibration when you put it in reverse. Now it has a vibration all the time.

- Piedmont, AL, USA

Dec 092015

Civic

Interior center led brake light failed, right side engine mount failed, atomic blue paint on roof and edges of rear fenders around trunk faded and chalky.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 152015

Civic

Clear coat on paint failed after 3 years. Sun visors failed after 4 years and 35K miles. Motor mounts failed at 5 years and 42K miles.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Feb 202015

Civic

I was driving my 2009 manual Honda Civic with a 55K on it and the temp outside was -20 F, on the high way at about 75 mph, nothing was abnormal on my dashboard and the car was on the 5 th transmission the car suddenly stopped responding to my acceleration and the engine light blinked three times before my engine completely stopped, it was freezing outside and there was a froth bite warning. I parked safely on the side thanks god there were no much of a traffic on the high way otherwise it would have been disastrous. I checked my battery and nothing was wrong with it, so I checked my oil which I just changed 10 days ago, I found out that my oil checking stick is completely burnt and the remains was black. At this time I was sure that it something bad. I towed the car to the mechanic and arrived safely to my home. I checked online on my warranty and recalls or bulletins, I found out that Honda has this problem and I called the Honda customer service and they told me sorry your car is not covered under this bulletin, an unresponsible car manufacturer who produced an engine that fails in 5 years after 55K and doesn't claim responsibility, no comment!!!!!. as if safety is the last thing that matters for those companies, putting me and my family at risk and claiming no responsibly for their product.

- Novi, MI, USA

Dec 132014

Civic

Stopped at an stop light in town when vehicle RPM suddenly went to 5900 RPM and vehicle attempted to accelerate. Had foot on brake and was able to stop. Put vehicle in park but RPM stayed around 5900-6000. Turned off ignition and restarted. Vehicle drove normally. Took vehicle to dealer who could not find a problem. There are over 50 cases of this same behavior reported online, in all cases the dealer could not find a problem.

- Canton, GA, USA

Sep 222010

Civic

2009 Honda Civic 4 door sedan, bought brand new ? within the first 30,000 miles, the car began to have intermittent problems with starting in lower temperature weather (50 and below). Car engine will crank and fail to turn over if left in colder temperature for more than 12 hours, I have installed a new battery and the problem has persisted. Brought the car into the dealer and the starter, alternator, fuel pump, battery, everything was "fine." Problem continues to this day and Honda has never been able to answer why.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Jun 172013

Civic 4-cyl

While driving a chatter started under the hood. Drove it to our mechanic (1 to 2 miles away) and he said the steel bolt broke that holds the belt tensioner to the aluminum engine. Had it fixed and the same thing happened on August 8, 2013 while driving. This time the car shut down completely and I was able to safely stop it and call for a tow. Took it to the mechanic again and he said upon talking to Honda dealers, this happened in 2006 and 2007 and there was a recall for this problem. There is no recall yet for this problem for a 2009 Honda Civic and no permanent fix. I am concerned that the car just quits while in motion, the power steering is gone and the brake assist is gone, which puts life at risk. Can this be looked into?

- Valencia, PA, USA

Sep 252012

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken in for a routine inspection to the dealer who informed her that the engine mount was broken and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls and referred the contact back to the dealer for the repairs. The failure mileage was 69,000. Updated 10/24/12

- Boiling Springs , PA, USA

May 162012

Civic 4-cyl

My wife was driving a 2009 Honda Civic (purchased new all repairs/servicing since purchase made by the dealer at reading piazza Honda) with my 13 year old daughter on a 2 lane highway at approximately 8:45 pm may-16-2012, no other vehicles were on the road at the time in her front or rear view when suddenly she reported that the engine unexpectedly revved up to high RPM's, where she states that she lost the ability to steer the 2009 Honda Civic, she tried to apply the brakes as soon as she realized the steering control was not working, however; the brakes did not work either. Her vehicle careened to the left side of the road hitting the median divider then the car careened to the right hitting the guard rail at which point the side airbag deployed and the motor shut off. Thankfully they are both alive. My daughter stated that she felt someone was pushing the vehicle from behind suddenly. I am still looking for answers to this unexplained scenario my wife and daughter reported to me, the 2 lane road was devoid of any vehicles at that time and as she stated this to me, the engine revved high, she had no ability to steer and the brakes did not work when she applied them. I contacted american Honda and have asked them to help investigated what may have happened and am waiting to hear from them on what may have caused this in a 2009 Honda Civic.

- Sinking Spring, PA, USA