2016 Honda Civic brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Civic:

2016 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 242016

Civic

Takata recall hey, my car Honda Civic coupe broke down in September reason was tire and brake I think. I was driving in regular speed and my tire blowoff and brake didn't work in same time. I run over the hill and broke my both excel.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 282016

Civic

Cover for center brake light keeps coming loose, obscuring rear window and flooding interior with red light when brake is applied at night. Known issue, but dealers do not have guidance on how to permanently fix it.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 312016

Civic

The electric emergency brake failed. The car was parked, ignition turned off, emergency brake applied, and left the vehicle. When I returned, the car had rolled backwards down a road and slammed into another parked car causing damage to both vehicles. No injuries related to the accident. Police report is not available yet. We found about the recall that was issued in mid-October but we have not been notified/contacted yet.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 282016

Civic

Me an my boyfriend almost got into an accident when the engine of our vehicle stopped working in the middle of the highway. Luckily we were able to pull over at the last second when the engine actually stopped. We were still in a dangerous area and I couldn't even describe to aaa where were. Fortunately a tow truck driver was passing by and saw us on the side of the road and stopped to help us. Just to give some back story my boyfriend was reading an article about a recall for the piston ring/clip affecting the engine on the 2016 Honda Civics and we immediately went to our dealership and had the car inspected. We were told that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that there was not a recall on the vehicle. Later on warning lights in the car started to turn on included the brake and engine light. We had a worker at autozone check the lights with one of their tools and were told the lights may have been turned off in the initial inspection of the vehicle prior to our purchase. We went back twice speaking to the manager and service team and were turned away with a list of all of the lights on in the vehicle with no remedy to fix any of the issues. When we brought up the recall again we were told our car did not fall under it. Because of their negligence I and my boyfriend could ave lost our lives in an accident on the highway. We bought the car May 2016 and the recall was issued February 2016 and was still open at the time of purchase considering the parts to fix the piston problem would not be available until summer. So we were sold a car with an open recall and the issue was not fixed prior to purchase. Now I am stranded without a car because the engine has sustained damage due to this issue. I want my money back and I no longer want this faulty and unsafe vehicle, and I do not trust Honda to fix the issue. We need your help NHTSA!

- Newark, NJ, USA

Jun 302016

Civic

1. vehicle about 10 days after purchase while in motion on a city street suddenly stopped and all the lights came on. Towed back to dealership, found ABS modulator leaking. 2. about 3 months later car was stationary in a parking lot would not start. Towed back to dealership and transmission control module was faulty.

- Stevenson Ranch, CA, USA

Oct 192016

Civic

Upon startup vsa, TPMS, cmbs, brake warning illuminated at 4400 miles. Power steering failed. Delivered to dealer for repair.

- Helena, MT, USA

Aug 292016

Civic 4-cyl

Rear high mount brake light coming off windshield the evening I took delivery of vehicle. Took it back to dealer where they tried to reattach it. The repair lasted a day. They ordered a new assembly and tried to attach it. The assembly was unglued before I got home. It has not yet come fully off, but it is a distraction and, when using the brakes at night, obscures my vision through the rear windshield. Dealer said this is a known defect an are waiting on Honda of America to come up with a repair. Very poor engineering on Honda's part and I don't know what I'm going to do if/when the thing comes fully off. I was driving home the first time I took notice of the problem. The car was stationary when I noticed it the second time. I don't think movement was a factor, just poor design and adhesion.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Jul 232016

Civic

I parked my 2016 Honda Civic in my garage and set the parking brake. I exited the vehicle and walked into the house. The vehicle must have rolled out of the garage (garage surface is rather flat, probably why I didn't see this happen) down my sloped driveway ended up in the neighbors yard. Vehicle sustained damage to the exhaust, bumper, underside of trunk and right rear tire. Thank goodness that nobody was injured. At the time I thought maybe I made a mistake but now that Honda has issued a recall on the parking brake I understand what really happened. I did set the parking brake but it appears that it did not ever set. I have since seen this happen again when I have parked on other somewhat flat surfaces and returned to my vehicle and it appears as though it had moved a small amount. With the release of details in the safety recall (NHTSA campaign number: 16V725000 ) I now understand more about what happened.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Jun 022016

Civic

The contact owns a 2016 Honda Civic. While attempting to drive the vehicle, "brake system failure/all brakes are locked up" appeared on the message board. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the brake code was reset; however, the failure recurred. In addition, the vehicle was taken back to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,000.

- Derby, KS, USA

Feb 232016

Civic

I purchased my 2016 Civic ex in November 2015. Very soon after I noticed 4 notifications on the touchscreen regarding brake system failure. I brought the vehicle in to the service department and was told those notifications were from manufacturing and were most likely not cleared during intake walkthrough. In June I started noticing a relay clicking noise coming from under the steering column that persisted while driving. It happens while the vehicle is in motion, or when I remove my foot from the brake pedal while at a stop. As soon as I depress the brake petal the click stops. As of today I have had my vehicle in for service 4 times to correct the issue and it continues. First they replaced the brake light switch and as soon as I left the parking lot the vehicle began clicking. They replaced the vsa modulator and insisted the clicking had ceased. The clicking began as soon as I left the dealership. The third time the service techs were unable to duplicate and therefore not able to investigate or repair. Clicking began as soon as I left the dealership and continued there after. Again the 4 brake failure notifications appeared on the touchscreen so I returned to the dealership with the vehicle. Every repair attempt has been something to do with the braking system and I continue to have brake failure notifications and an issue the techs are unable to repair. I do not feel safe continuing to drive myself and my children in this vehicle.

- Winchester, CA, USA

Sep 222016

Civic

The contact owns a 2016 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the electric parking brake, brake hold system, and air bag SRS warning indicators flashed, and the lane keep assist warning indicator deactivated. The vehicle lost power and various warning indicators and gauges flickered. The contact was able to coast the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle was unable to be driven and was towed to a dealer. The dealer was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure, but test drove the vehicle. The vehicle was left at the dealer. The contact placed two calls to the manufacturer, left a voice message, and was waiting for a response. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Sep 052016

Civic

Third brake light housing feel off the same day that I purchased the vehicle. At night, the entire rear window lights up when I brake. This is a blinding and distracting light that prevents me from seeing out of my back window. This is a safety concern. Dealer refuses to fix this as per instructions from Honda.

- Simsbury, CT, USA

Dec 312015

Civic

The contact owns a 2016 Honda Civic. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle became difficult to steer and voluntarily drifted into the other lanes. The contact had to use force to steer the vehicle. The lane departure and steering required warning indicators illuminated. The dealer was unable to locate a failure. The failure recurred. In addition, there was a three second delay for the acceleration and ABS. After the delay, the vehicle surged with power and accelerated at a rapid speed. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but was not diagnosed. The failure mileage was 40.

- Monticello, GA, USA

Aug 092016

Civic

Electronic brake failure - turned vehicle on in driveway, brakes locked. Car towed. Honda has a work around process to avoid this. I read posts that this occurred to people while driving on highway. I do not feel safe in this car. Honda does not have a fix for this problem.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Jun 182016

Civic

Vehicle has repeatedly thrown errors with warnings to not drive the vehicle and have it inspected by the dealer. The vehicle has already been to the shop twice for the problem. In both cases Honda installed an updated vsa modulator they claimed would fix the problem. It has not. Not the local dealer doesn't even want to see the vehicle as they tell me their is nothing more they can do for us. They claimed to have emailed Honda corporate to have a regional rep contact us. It has been 4 days since. They say the vehicle is safe, but yet they don't even know what is wrong with it. The vehicle has a defect they cannot correct, and my car is not alone. Please look at these two sites to see examples: hondacivicproblems.com and www.civicx.com/threads/TPMS-ABS-brake-system-acc-freak-out.1002/ each time the vehicle is not in motion. Each time the error messages appear after starting the vehicle. Each time the warnings instruct you not to drive the vehicle. Errors include: Cmbs problem, adaptive cruise control problem, tire pressure monitor system, brake system problem, anti-lock brake system, tire pressure low, and charging system problem.

- Graver Beach, CA, USA

Mar 042016

Civic

Bought the car in mid February and it began to read "brake system problem" once the car was turned on and stationary a few weeks after. I took it to the dealership in March and they "cleared" the codes and test drove it. In April, the same error appeared but now with more errors such as "tire pressure low, brake system problem, charging system problem and anti lock brake system problem." I took it to the dealership once again and they replaced the "ABS modulator" and "cleared" the codes. Once again a month later (June), the same errors are appearing.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 072016

Civic

Vehicle has been in the service shop 5 times for "brake system failure", "anti-lock brake system failure", "tire pressure monitor system failure", "tire pressure low", and "charging system failure" with no resolve by the dealership. These messages were all on the radio display prior to today to which the dealership said they are false flags. I am not sure how a "brake system failure" anywhere on a dash is a false flag. These messages generally occurred upon startup but many times while driving. Last night, error messages appeared in the instrument cluster and the vehicle refused to start. The vehicle was stationary and would not start up at this time.

- Batavia, OH, USA

May 282016

Civic

Computer system had a major malfunction, triggering 6 different warnings, and an audible message to immediately pull over and park the vehicle and have a dealer inspect the vehicle. This happened after filling up the vehicle with gas. My family was in the vehicle with the car in accessory mode, listening to the radio. After finishing up fueling, about five minutes later, I returned to the vehicle. I got in, shut the door, put my foot on the brake, pressed the button to start the vehicle, put on my seat belt, and then saw the messages. After a few minutes with the car on and reading the messages, a voice started to talk and tell me, to stop the vehicle, park it, and have a dealer look at it. The 6 messages on the center display said various things. Such as they were titled: Adaptive cruise control problem the pressure monitor system cmbs problems anti-lock brake system problem tire pressure low brake system problem the alarming number of problems about the brake system alone, tells me this vehicle should not be driven. Combine that with the audiable message about pulling over and parking the vehicle, no one in their right mind is going to drive it until it is properly looked at. The dealer did look at it, and said it was the vsa modulator, and needed to be replaced. However, there is case after case of this not fixing the problem found online. Yet people and their families, including mine are being sent back onto the road in these vehicles of which Honda has not and cannot provide a fix for because it, itself does not know what the problem is. Any therefore no one knows if their car is crying wolf, and just waiting to kill them. I don't want my car if I can't trust it. I just can"T wager my families lives on that. They are willing to tell us to drive around in the vehicle even before the first repair is tried. The errors are related to brakes

- Grover Beach, CA, USA

May 142016

Civic

While driving on a main road at speed limit on cr 201 in Florida (West of I-95 which is a secondary, main, paved road) my emergency brake engaged after I accidentally hit the button on the console. My vehicle immediately slowed at a high rate of speed and veered off the road to the right. Oncoming traffic also veered away and following traffic had to use evasive measures to avoid collision. When I bought my new Honda, I asked the sales rep if that was an issue and he (ray at coggin Honda) said "absolutely not" and explained (paraphrased) that safety precautions are in place to eliminate any premature or accidental emergency engagement of the emergency brake while in gear and while driving.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 132016

Civic

I recently purchased a 2016 Honda Civic ex, four door. I was driving to work yesterday morning at 5 am. I had approached apx 56 mph and the vehicle stopped accelerating, across the dashboard screen was a blinking red stating, brake system failure. ! keep in mind, this vehicle is brand new I have less than 5,000 miles on it ! at the time of the screen on the dash blinking what seemed to have been an emergency brake deployed as I was decelerating causing me to come to a stop in the middle of the highway! lucky for me there was no one behind me, because it would have turned fatal. I pulled over on the side of the highway to try and relax. I turned the car off. Turned it back on the brake system was still blinking saying failure. I turned it off again and back on and the light had stopped blinking. I attempted to drive and I did, just thinking it was a freak thing. On my way into boston, the dash lit up again with the same message. When I was safe in a parking lot I called Honda and had my car towed, at this point I no longer felt safe driving my vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the closest Honda dealership in boston. As of yet, they have not decided what is wrong with it. If I get updates I will update them. The last I heard is that the electronic brake system module had failed. How can this be, when the car is new " how can I have faith driving my vehicle, that this won't happen when I am in traffic and cause a serious wreck? dealing with Honda corporate has been an absolute nightmare! four hours worth of phone calls for them to secure me in a rental so I am safe driving. This is crazy! I am saddened. How can a brand new car have a failure with the brake system "

- Coventry, RI, USA