2003 Honda Civic Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid:

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner Comments

Jun 022015

Civic Hybrid

I bought this car off of a private seller few months ago when the car was around 99000 miles, used it to commute from and to work (6 miles drive), and couple of road trips from boston to Rhode Island. The car was working perfectly fine, I was really happy with it, until last week when the car started to startle when I come to a complete stop and hit the gas again. I just figured its time for an oil change so I took it in to meineke but the jitter would not go away, the guy from meineke told me it could be a motor problem. So I took the car to a mechanic and they said its the starter clutch. I did some digging around on the different forums and figured out this is a very common problem for first gen hch. I was actually surprised by the amount of complaints I was able to find on edmunds, kbb, autraders, and knowing how reliable Honda usually are (I personally drove two Honda before, and never had any problems). Seeing the amount of complaints, why isn't there a recall being issued for this dilemma. Honda should really try to fix this issue, or loyal customers such as myself would start to walk.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Jul 242013

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

We were driving along the freeway around 8:30 at night at about 70mph in the fast lane when the transmission suddenly stopped working. We had to coast over 3 lanes of traffic to pull into the emergency lane. My husband was driving, I was the passenger, and our 4 month old newborn was in the backseat. It took an hour for us to get a tow and a ride home. All the while I feared for the safety of my family, as it was quickly approaching dark. After some research on the internet, I found that I am no the only one that has encountered such a problem with the '03 Civic hybrid cvt. Apparently, Honda issued an extended warranty that would cover it for 7 years up to 100K miles. Unfortunately, I just bought this car a year ago, so I am well outside the extended warranty limit. My complaint is that there should be a safety recall on this vehicle. There were no warning signs that this would happen. We were just driving along, and there were no sounds or anything. By not having a recall on these vehicles, Honda put my little family in an extremely dangerous situation.

- Farmington, UT, USA

Jun 152006

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

In 2006 the car was jolting when you took off or were traveling at low speeds. The dealership burnished the starter clutch/engine and the problem went away. Now in 2012 the problem has begun again and reading through blogs and posts is seems there may be a design change in the transmission from plastic belts to if this fixes the problem, then my older model should be retrofit to repair the faulty issue.

- Long Beach, CA, USA