Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Civic Hybrid has an engine that doesn't shut off when it should and electrical components that shut off when they shouldn't.

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid:

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner Comments

Aug 192015

Civic Hybrid

Honda Civic hybrid 2006 couldn't run suddenly, even though I pressed accelerator fully. It was when I drove about 30 miles. About 5 kilometers previous from the incident, it became to hard to run gradually, for example, the reaction of the engine became later then it couldn't run only 15 mph, even though I pressed accelerator fully. Finally, my car stopped on the beach blvd.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Jan 192012

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

This occurs on occasion. When the accelerator is depressed the vehicle's acceleration was very slow responding to command. This happened while accelerating from a stop and entered the intersection with oncoming traffic from both sides. The civic was not moving as expected and nearly did not make it to the opposite side of the street before the oncoming cars reached me. Because it happens only occasionally, when it happens it is unexpected and could easily lead to an accident.

- Fairfield, IA, USA

Apr 012009

Civic Hybrid

I'm a Honda Civic hybrid owner (2006). I have not reported the lack of acceleration to my dealer, assuming that was the low power of the car due to the hybrid nature. The lack of acceleration at times when it's needed has put me in unsafe situations. Additionally, my hybrid does not consistently auto stop as designed.

- San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA

Apr 052010

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

Honda did a recall on the software, supposedly to save the hybrid batteries for early failure. After the change the car experienced les miles per gallon gas efficiency, and worse, the car's acceleration was drastically reduced. Now when I try to enter a freeway I feel I am taking my life in my own hand. It is difficult to get up to speed quickly enough to match traffic. Also when I try to cross traffic lanes from a stop sign or light I am fearful the car will accelerate quickly enough to get across. I'd like to go back to the original software, I felt it was safer!

- Johnstown, OH, USA

Feb 042011

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

Bought this car new. I won't even go into the ridiculous 49/51 mpg window sticker that is a blatant lie but that does play into my complaint as you will see. Honda, after receiving complaints about the battery pack and having problems with it, has this brainstorm to reflash or reprogram the computer/battery pack as part of a recall this past year. This was done at my last oil change. Prior to that time my sole complaint with my car was that the mpg averaged about 35mpg period. Since this last recall and reprogram not only has my fuel economy gone down but the performance of the car is essentially unsafe from a stopped position. Let's face it, the car never was a nascar but on the other side of the coin it was not a golf car either. Now when starting out from a stopped position, whether at a stop light or anywhere and whether the motor has shut off or not, the hybrid is so bogged down that I honestly believe my golf car accelerates better and more quickly. Let's set this straight too. I'm 41 and not trying to drag race I'm merely trying to drive the car in a normal safe manner. At times it feels like the car is going to literally die in the middle of a turn or intersection which can be a bad thing once you commit to a turn and there's a 53 foot 100,000lbs of fun coming in your direction. Honda has gotten away with ignoring my complaints about the hydroplaning of this vehicle, the ridiculously low fuel economy, and now they will likely do the same with their attempt at making their battery last longer which has made the vehicle less safe for me and my wife and kids. This "recall" was nothing more than a battery life extender to protect Honda's wallet. How about replacing everyone's battery once for the life of the car? that'd make sense to know...the guy that shelled out $24,000 for your car expecting to receive mid to upper 40's in fuel economy. Fix it.

- Shelby, OH, USA