2007 Honda Civic Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid:

2007 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 222016

Civic Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that the battery and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that there were also codes for loss of power. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the voltage converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V106000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was approximately 107,191.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Jun 012016

Civic Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that the ima battery failed, the vehicle was slow to accelerate, and the low beam headlights failed to illuminate. In addition, the ima warning light flashed and the service engine light dimmed. One mechanic provided testing and a second mechanic also inspected and diagnosed the failures, but was unable to provide a repair solution. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for further diagnostic testing. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Ventnor City, NJ, USA

Aug 142015

Civic Hybrid

On 8-14-15 noticed right headlight out; may have been out before that. Shop replaced it on 8-14-15. It went out again within a few days. Noticed it only later again. Was able to return to shop 3/14/16; no ticket was done. Honda guy put hand behind light and said "the connector wasn't turned all the way." Light went out again within a few days. After talking to manager, dropped it off 5/23/16, manager arrived later; he and other staff denied light was out when they took the car. The light was back on (they must have done something.) the light stayed on only for one day. Next day light was out again. Once it's out, it stays out until a workman does something to bring it back on. Without this light, I can't pass state inspection; moreover, it is dangerous to drive on rainy days or at night because cars don't see the passenger side of my car. Honda put the light on and made me pass the inspection, but their remedy is only temporary.why doesn't Honda fix this problem" why do they tell me it's been on when they got the car, when I know it's been out" I do not want to return to the shop if all they do is lie and not fix the problem. I need to see if this problem is related to the 2007 recall on Civic hybrids for "DC-DC converter diode". this failure will cause the headlights to turn off, among other more risky things, as the problem develops. I did not ask them about this specific recall, but Honda denied that there is any recall for this situation. Perhaps they do not want to go through the trouble of replacing the voltage converter free of charge. Other lights have been going out and been replaced repeatedly since Aug. 2015, as my receipts show. But this headlight is not staying on when they put it on. On 5-23-16 when they last turned the headlight back on, I drove it all day and it was on. But on another day, not sure when, it was out and has stayed out.

- Dale City, VA, USA

Aug 312015

Civic Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted and resumed normally. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was being driven. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V106000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Mar 282015

Civic Hybrid

I was in the fifth hour of a six hour long road trip (warm day, A/C on, iphone plugged into console for an audio book), when I hit stop and go traffic. Shortly after the stop and go traffic began, my 2007 Honda Civic hybrid stopped being able to accelerate. Traffic ahead of me would move, my car would not respond normally, but only very, very slowly gather speed -- very tricky and dangerous when the traffic is stop and go. This is the third time this car has done this, twice in the same situation (long car drive, warm/hot day, very bad stop and go traffic, additional electrical use, A/C on and dvd's or something plugged in.) when you are on the freeway, crossing a bridge -- as I was in both cases (golden gate bridge on memorial day and bay bridge yesterday, start of spring break) -- it is scary and dangerous to not have your car respond or be able to move / accelerate. Yesterday, to see if it would help, I took a chance and turned the engine on and off again, in the middle of 7 lanes of stopped bridge traffic, and the car began accelerating fairly normally, well enough to get over the bridge. Second time, a few months ago, my car simply wouldn't budge on the steep hill I drive up every day after a car came to a full stop in front of us, my Honda could barely get up the hill, then wouldn't accelerate normally on the flat block to my house, when I had my car towed to Honda next day, they said there was no problem. After the first memorial day bridge incident they said my car needed a software update, which they said they provided, and that the problem would never happen again, but it has happened twice since now. I only have 42,000 miles on my 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. When I talk to the Honda dealer/mechanic they say they have never heard of a similar case to this.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 142015

Civic Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that the voltage converter that relays power from the integrated motor assist (ima) system to the vehicle's electrical components failed. In addition, the steering wheel seized. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V106000 (electrical system). The vehicle was diagnosed that the fuse between the ima battery and the 12 volt battery needed to be replaced. The contact did not disclose where the vehicle was taken for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Durham, NC, USA

Nov 022013

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

My Honda Civic hybrid 2007 has a recall and Honda will not honor the recall and keeps telling me that no it does not have a recall on it, I am misunderstanding what I am reading. This particular person keeps telling me he cannot do anything until Honda says to do it and they are not telling him to do this.my ima light came on and I need this fixed. I don't have the 5-6 thousand to fix it myself. Thank you.

- Pennsville, NJ, USA

Mar 012013

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

After having the ima battery replaced on my 2007 Civic hybrid and getting the software updated, my car has no acceleration and is dangerous to drive. I have driven the car for almost 6 years with no acceleration issues and now the engine revs very high in order to provide even limited acceleration power. I have been told by my dealer that the car checks out fine and after calling Honda was told they did not know anything about this, when there are thousands of posts online about people having problems with the ima batteries after the software update. Others have mentioned they received similar responses from Honda when reporting such issues, so something is clearly not right here.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Sep 152012

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

On Sept 15, '12, I was taking my son and his friend over to his coach's house for a football party. I attempted to drive up the coach's driveway but at approximately the halfway point, my Honda Civic hybrid stopped moving forward although the accelerator was pushed to the floor. I had the two nine year old kids exit the vehicle but it still did not move forward. I slowly backed down the driveway and attempted to accelerate up the driveway again, this time with a running start. Again, my Honda Civic hybrid did not make it up the driveway. I estimate the driveway to be at a 30% angle, not steep but definitely not flat. Again I slowly backed down the driveway after having the cars behind me move out of my way. I parked at the bottom of the driveway and walked up the hill, not something you expect to do when you spend a lot of money for a vehicle. On October 3, 2012, I had a certified Honda dealership examine the car as I suspected the ima battery was faulty. The dealer stated I did need a new 12 volt battery and I had the battery replaced. The dealer stated that while the ima battery is not giving out full power it is at an acceptable level. The dealer stated that Honda refuses to replace any ima battery unless it completely fails and they have seen several Civic hybrids with the same problem. My concern is the acceleration and loss of power becomes a major safety issue on the highways and hills. I have three young kids and do not feel safe with them in the car. I have all service documentation and am willing to let investigators examine and drive my vehicle. Also, I can provide the address of the driveway, the vehicle was unable to make it up. Please look into this issue as this loss of power creates a safety issue for my family.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 142012

Civic Hybrid

The hybrid battery and charging system is not working properly. It is constantly fluctuating. This is after the various software updates. I have also seen a significant drop in mpg by more than 20% this is since the software updates and the ima system not working correctly. I have reviewed the 49 other complaints showing in the NHTSA system and all but 3 refer to the same or similar problems which I'm encountering. The other interesting fact is that unless the ima light comes on Honda appears to be refusing to take action. It is curious that in a number of the cases the light came on Honda did their software update and then the light doesn't seem to come on any longer even though individuals continue to report the same issues, just no light, coincidence I think not, its amazing what a few tweaks in software code can accomplish to reduce Honda's liability an keep the ima system light from coming on. It is my hope that someone at NHTSA will actually read these complaints and follow up. It is also my hope that something will get done by NHTSA before all of our warranties of 8 years or 80,000 miles expire and Honda says that a replace battery is our cost not theirs because they were able to drag this out. They have designed a bad system and they are taking actions to avoid having to do anything about it!!!!!!!!!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 082012

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

The Honda Civic hybrid 2007 is suddenly unable to accelerate appropriately. This fault is most dangerous when accelerating to start going after red lights and stop signs, especially on hills. It is also noticeable when accelerating to merge into traffic, the acceleration performance of the Honda Civic hybrid declined precipitously and dangerously immediately after Honda required replacement of the ima battery and concurrent new software (at the Honda dealer) in March.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Feb 032009

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

This vehicle is not safe for highway or city driving. It decelerates when you need power, making it very dangerous to merge in high speed or heavy traffic conditions. In the summer when the A/C is running, acceleration is extremely unreliable. The driver's side has severe blind spots. I have also experienced long delays in the engine restarting after pulling out into traffic from a dead stop at lights or stop signs. I have nearly been hit by oncoming traffic -- planning for adequate gaps in traffic is a challenge and very different from the other vehicles I drive. I am an experienced driver with over 37 years behind the wheel and an excellent driving record. I have owned 4 Honda and this so-called hybrid has been an engineering disaster.

- Freeport, ME, USA

Mar 242010

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

I bought my Honda Civic hybrid in March of 2007. The car worked fine for several years until about 30,000 miles in, my hybrid battery started to randomly drain and recharge. The frequency of occurances has increased significantly to the point that I can expect it to drain and recharge about 1 to 2 times a day. The whole drain/recharge process takes about 7 to 10 minutes, and with a 20 minute commute each way, I am spending about half of the time driving without the assist of the battery. The impact is as follows: 1) lower mpg 2) significantly impacted performance to the poin that the car is unsafe to accelerate. This car was never designed to be driven without the assist of the battery. It is too slow. Even with the battery assist, it is already one of the slowest cars on the road, without it it becomes dangerous. There has been a couple of times where I had to merge and accelerate hard, and the car would barely move. The guy behind me had to slam on the brakes in order not to crash into my car. I now have 55,000 miles on the car and have been to the dealership several times. They recognized the issue, but said that unless something comes up on the display (warnings, errors, alerts), they cannot do anything to fix the problem. I am reporting this problem because I want Honda to take responsibility for a design defect that is a major safety concern.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Jan 232012

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

Had ima failure (2009) where vehicle wouldn't exceed 20 mph. Parked vehicle, required jumpstart & but was towed home ~25 miles. Jumped car again w/ no ima; drove 2 los gatos Honda. Ima trouble fixed; explanation not specific. Unbeknownst 2 me, other drivers had same trouble & Honda was (hearsay) aware of it. Never received recall notice 4 driver window (fixed same visit) or recall 4 rear susp. (found out about 3-yr old recall by a blog back in February 2012). Honda performed battery "fix" that was 2 make car better, it hasn't. car has refused 2 auto-stop & has gas engine power (significantly < the gas only hc) only 4 many months as charging/discharging of ima battery has been erratic. Every day state-of-charge (soc) goes 2 two bars w/in a 1/2mile = no auto-stop or ima assist getting ON2 freeway. After 3-4miles, ima back 2 7-8 bars & will be back down 2 < 4 bars & no ima assist again once or twice more on remainder of drive home. This never happened pre "fix", never! have 2 teenagers who drive car on occasion & also my wife & 8 & 3 year old children who ride in car also. W/O ample power, can B hazrdous 4 these drivers & passengers. Car isn't as reliable & efficient as prior 2 "fix". I'm worried I have 2 wait 4 a total failure 2 have it replaced. That's the ultimate danger! Honda won't return car 2 pre "fix" condition, said a permanent software fix. No passing power in middle of commute (30 miles each way) can B disconcerting. "fix" made car unsafe depending on battery soc & should have R2'd battery pack not do workaround leaving potential 4 mishap or worse. Reading about class action that Honda made me aware of, I'm not alone in this concern & Honda shouldn't B allowed 2 state car is safe bcuz they're aware their "fix" was a band-aid 2 get owner out of warranty period. Honda is refusing 2 replace battery until there is a complete, absolute failure. That's not safe!

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Aug 022010

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

Honda asked me to apply the Civic hybrid battery pack software upgrade patch sometime end of 2010.after applying the patch the mileage on the car went down from 45-49mpg to 35-40mpg and also reduced acceleration from a red light or stop sign - car just drags to get accelerated. Complained to Honda dealer many times and they keep telling me its the way im driving and nothing wrong with the car. I have also joined the Honda Civic hybrid class action lawsuit. This is absolutely un-acceptable to give false information to the customer while selling the product and I feel cheated.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Dec 312007

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

I purchased a new 07 Honda civ hybrid and from the start never got close to the mpg as advertised.I had the car looked at by Honda dealer multiple times and they very found anything wrong and would comment that car was within spec. 21/2 years later and in the summer I experienced when the I was in heavy traffic and high temperature with all electrical options on ac, nav, radio, etc. The hybrid battery would drain and not keep charge and the car would operate sluggish, no power, no acceleration and basically unsafe to drive. Th car drove that it had run out of gas.I experienced this 3X in 2 weeks as I was exploring and documenting the symptoms.I took it back to the dealer and it was the time of the software update.they updated the software and they would not replace the batteries even though we indirectly agreed (dealer mechanic did but not Honda corporate..since they declined to replace battery) over time that the battery had degraded due to design flaw.after the software update the car driving characteristics changes.engine idles at higher rmp (higher keeps the battery better charged), the power to pass a vehicle on the highway (my wife would press on the accelerator to pass a car on the highway and the car did not respond almost causing accidents). Considers it unsafe and refuses to drive it and put kids in it.I had de aler look a it for a few days working with the Honda technical team. Final assessment was did not find anything wrong and it is driving within spec.how can that be?the car no longer has power, cannot dependently pass or overcome a car on the highway in normal driving speeds and when you stress it traffic on a hot day and run the normal equipment ac the car feels like it is running out of gas and the hybrid batteries are not charging and are not operating the car as you would expect a car to operate.the software update made the car worst.the car is unsafe!

- Fairfax Station, VA, USA

Jul 312007

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

The Honda Civic hybrid ima system has been inconsistent and a worry since I bought the car. The charge level varies wildly within minutes, releasing the braking charge mode unexpectedly while traveling downhill, resulting in rapid acceleration. While going uphill the ima system suddenly shows no charge and the engine is unable to keep the car's speed constant, resulting in rapid deceleration. The software update that was said to fix these problems resulting in no change to the problems but a considerable reduction in mpg. The engine refuses to stop at red lights and instead remains at idle - wasting gas. I have service records covering the entire history of this car which documents my concerns and complaints. The Honda service department was never able to find any problems with the ima. I continue to drive this car but am concerned for my safety and the car's reliability. Anything you can do to help identify and remedy the ima problem will be greatly appreciated.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Feb 042011

Civic Hybrid

There is a potential for the voltage converter that relays power from the integrated motor assist (ima) system to the vehicle's electrical components to fail..a cvt doesn't actually have gears, so the system uses electronics to direct the transmission to up- or downshift in specific ways when a driver hits a paddle.battery loses charge suddenly and power is significantly lost to the point where acceleration is not possible. This has created several unsafe driving condition in highway and expressway entrances, as I can not get in safely or maintain safe speed during driving. This incident has repeated many times in the past three years. Battery indicator drops to zero bar or one bar and power is lost significantly. Sluggish to poor acceleration, especially in highway merge situations placing owner is dangerous situations. When battery charged at least 50%, acceleration is acceptable as the ima assist in acceleration.the vehicle's hybrid ima system (integrated motor assist) has been steadily deteriorating the hybrid battery system must recharge so frequently that battery assist is available less than half the time. When assist is unavailable, acceleration is dangerously low, making common driving situations such as left turns, freeway onramps, and merging into traffic unpredictable and quite hazardous. Honda's only response has been a series of ineffective software updates. Honda will not replace the battery under warranty unless a warning light appears. Yet even the current severely degraded performance of the battery does not trigger that warning light. I have been in several near miss situations when acceleration was so sluggish that I was nearly unable to evade a dangerous traffic situation.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Aug 202010

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

We own a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. We strongly believe this car is unsafe. In 2010 we brought the car into a Honda dealer after the ima light came on. Instead of replacing a bad hybrid battery, the dealer instead "upgraded" the ima software. As a result, the car has lost mileage. But far more importantly, it has lost any acceleration. The software doesn't use the ima (electric booster motor) in a manner that provides any acceleration to the car. In fact, as best as we can tell, the ima (integrated motor assist) is mostly turned off. So we have a smaller combustion engine than the conventional Honda civic doing the work of what should be two engines. The primary and booster. We constantly have a difficult time in gaining freeway speed to properly merge onto the highway. This is impossible if the on ramp is on a hill or incline. We have had several close calls and near accidents. As a result we firmly believe this car is un-safe. We urge you to open up a safety investigation into the 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. If these hybrid batteries were replaced, as they should have been under warranty, this car would not have a safety acceleration problem. Honda refuses to do so. We need your help. Sincerely,

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 032010

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

My wife owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. I had the software update done on my car in 2010. Since the update, the car has not idled when I bring the car to a stop, instead it moves little further, and there is that danger of hitting the car in front of me. Also, once the vehicle comes to a stop, and I start moving again, the car goes backwards a little. If the car behind me is very close to my rear bumper, this Honda Civic hybrid car would actually hit the car in the back.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA