2.2

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid:

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner Comments

Sep 232016

Civic Hybrid

I have a 2008 Honda Civic hybrid. I came home from a short trip to find that my car had a strong smell of gas and the full tank that I had when I left for my trip was no longer full. I drove the car to my local repair shop ¿ only to be told that the gas tank had ruptured, and that the repairs were very expensive. Doing research I discovered that Honda had issued an ¿extended warranty¿ for Honda civics between 2006 and 2011 for gas tanks because 'small cracks may develop.¿ according to the online source, Honda did not issue a recall because they did not consider it a safety issue. Leaking gas is not a safety issue? however, I never got notice of the warranty issue, my dealership ¿ who conducted all maintenance on my car for many years never notified me of any issues, and while my car falls within the ten year limit of the warranty I am, according to Honda, outside the parameters of the warranty because the mileage limits are 120,000 miles and I have 122,000 miles on my car. 2,000 miles means I get to pay over $1,000 to replace a faulty part on a car that Honda knew was an issue, and could, if not repaired result in harm to me or anyone riding in or driving my vehicle.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 032016

Civic Hybrid

On Feb 3 I moved car into garage for first time. That evening I smelled an odor of fumes when I returned to the garage. The next day I called my mechanic and took the car in. His invoice afterwards read "check and found fuel tank leaking, drain fuel tank, remove and replace fuel tank, invoice available upon request.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 162015

Civic Hybrid

Several hours after filling up our 2008 Honda Civic hybrid on a very hot day (104-106) we noticed a strong gas smell coming from the garage where it was parked. Upon investigation we found several small puddles of gas underneath the gas tank, which was wet with gas and dripping on the garage floor.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Dec 312010

Civic Hybrid

I'm the second owner of this vehicle, having bought it less than three years from its original purchase date. Every time I fill up the gas tank (I don't top-off), and for up to a day later, my garage will wreak of gasoline when the car is parked in the garage. I've parked other cars in garages following fill-ups and this has never occurred. The garage is adequately ventilated.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

There is a strong fuel smell coming from my car. I took it to a mechanic in August who said they found cracks in the gas tank which was a known issue, and that I should have it repaired at the dealer, as it would be covered under warranty. When I went to the dealer, I was told that my VIN wasn't included, and the repairs would cost $1000. Seeing as how this is a known issue for Civic hybrids from 2006-2011 (my car is a 2008) and my description and the diagnosis exactly matches the known, I feel that my car should be included in the extended warranty. I feel unsafe driving my car knowing there are cracks in the tank. Thank you for your time.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 262014

Civic Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that fuel fumes were present in and around the vehicle. The dealer stated that both the fuel filler pipe and fuel tank were cracked and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Jun 272014

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

Reporting potential danger of gas leak in my Honda Civic hybrid 2008. First we smelled gasoline in the garage a few weeks ago. But, we were not sure where the smell originated. But, last Sunday we found drops of fuel on the garage floor where Honda civic 2008 hybrid was parked. When I inspected under the car, I noticed a leak near the fuel tank filler neck/ hose. At that point I was worried even to drive the car. When I took the car to the dealer they informed that the gas is leaking at the junction of filler neck and the gas tank. The dealer said that there are no recalls or warranty extension on any such problem. But, I noticed on the web that there were reports of similar leaks reported. In my opinion it is a manufacturing defect and Honda should take care of it before a fatality due to a potential fire hazard. Now the dealer is charging me $600+ for the tank and $400 for installation. I think Honda should replace it for free due to the defect in the gas tank.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Jul 102013

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Honda Civic hybrid, purchased new in 2008, and it has approximately 50,500 miles on it. Upon parking my car in the garage on the evenings of 7/10/2013 and 7/11/2013, I noticed a very slight gasoline odor. It was very slight, so I thought it was just a fluke or something in the garage. Note that I last filled up my gas tank on 6/29/2013, so my tank was not very full by this time. Also note that the sacramento area had a decent heat wave from 6/28/2013 through 7/4/2013. On the morning of 7/12/2013, I filled up my tank. Upon parking my car in the garage on the evening of 7/12/2013, I again noticed the gasoline odor but it was stronger than previous days. I closed the garage door, and then returned to the garage awhile later and the odor was extremely strong. My car is now parked outside because of the fumes and I am refusing to drive it due to the strong gasoline odor and I fear for my safety and the safety of my kids. I spoke with the dealership today (Saturday 7/13/2013) and they said my car is not one of the 80,000 cars that may have this problem. (there is a known problem with a connection at the fuel tank for 2006-2011 models of the Civic hybrid). They will not know what the problem is until I bring it in on Monday and will evaluate it then. Apparently, that dealership does not believe a gasoline leak is not enough of a problem to have me bring it in on a Saturday. Clearly, the problem with the fuel tanks is broader than the 80,000 cars originally anticipated. A well-maintained car with ~50,500 miles on it should not have a fuel leak. With this fuel leak on top of the already poor performing ima battery that everyone else is having, I am not a happy Honda owner.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 012012

Civic Hybrid

Since the Honda ima reprogram my battery pack no longer holds a charge. It is dead every morning. It will build a charge through my 35mi commute, but the charge holds for only a limited amount of time once I exit the highway and utilize surface streets requiring stop and go travel. After sitting a few hours, the battery pack is dead again. The battery pack has died numerous times upon quick acceleration such as entry to a highway. This is unsafe as the vehicle loses its capability to accelerate without the ima. I have taken the car to the local dealer who kept the car for 2 days to test it. They confirmed that the battery pack does not hold a charge, recharges slowly and drains quickly. However they stated that although it was under the warranty period, they would not and could not replace the battery pack due to the lack of a system code or dummy light illuminating. This lack of action by Honda for this common fault in their ima system is unacceptable. When the car was new and the ima system worked, I received the mpg as promised and then some. Since the update and the failure of the battery pack, I no longer receive the epa stated mpg. I basically have a normal civic with hybrid badges. I have been a Honda devoted owner since 1997. This will be my last Honda.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA