2007 Honda Fit steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Fit:

2007 Honda Fit Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Dec 102009

Fit

My eps unit on my Honda Fit has failed at random, various points in vehicle operation. While my own experience has been a total of 5 times in 3 years, the cause for concern can be verified through www.fitfreak.net where more than a handful of posters have experienced their units locking up during vehicle operation, thereby "locking" the steering wheel in position until the vehicle is restarted. My unit last locked up in December during the cold weather here in Florida. After cranking the car and driving to work, which is 3 miles from home, I took the turn to go onto the road to work. While during the turn, my steering wheel instrument light came on, which signaled to me that I was screwed. Because I am aware that this could occur, I slammed my car into neutral, turned off/on my car, and was able to regain control of my steering wheel. If my wife had been driving or if I was not aware of this possibly occurring, I have no doubt that a serious accident could have occurred. As it was, I barely missed the car beside me as well as not running off the road. All the posters that I have seen on fitfreak.net have shown that Honda does not see this issue as being a defect and is actually charging people to fix what is a serious issue. My car is out of warranty and has been for 13,000 miles. This has happened to me once when starting the car after it not being run for 3 days, it has occurred when I have been driving and it's been cold weather. I have had it happen during a regular summer day in Louisiana while it was raining. And it has even happened just starting my car in the driveway with the eps unit not releasing the steering wheel. In light of the issues of Toyota, please consider this an issue requiring attention.

- Parrish, FL, USA

Dec 012008

Fit

Lost of power steering on 2007/2008 Honda Fit. Normally on very cold days when the car is cold. In the morning on first startup or after the car has been parked for long time. The powering steering does not work. Usually can turn the car off and restart to fix the problem. But sometimes have to do this several times. Twice it has quit while I was actually driving both times were with in the first 5 miles of driving from home and work, lost of power steering. Problem has happened many times over several years but is intermittent to when it happens. Normally happens about 1-3 times a week during the winter season of about 3 months. Honda does have a service bulletin about the problem now #09-043. Problem seem to be the eps unit, part number 39980-sln-A21. I seriously consider this a safety problem as you all of a sudden can lost your steering ability while driving. The problem is not normal and I think Honda should recall this car to fix this problem. I just read that the GM cars and Acura cars have a similar power steering problem and GM is recalling their cars to fix it. This thread documents other people that have the same exact problem I have. townhall.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F1346C0/33.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Feb 012010

Fit

Power steering locked up and failed. I could not turn steering wheel. I had to stop car, turn off engine and restart twice before power steering functioned again. Some one is going to get killed with this problem and a recall is in order!!!

- Westborough , MA, USA

Aug 012009

Fit

The steering wheel locks and lock light is on when the car is running. I turn the engine off and restart the car and it then clears it. I have looked online at other peoples blogs and have come across a few other complaints about this. It hasn't caused an accident but I am concerned about it.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Jan 312010

Fit

The electronic power steering on the car failed and the dashboard indicator light came on. There is no way to tell when it will fail, but it is a sudden and complete failure resulting in a hard to control car. Honda does have a service bulletin on this issue (tsb 90-043).

- St. Cloud, MN, USA

Nov 082009

Fit

2007 Honda Fit lost power steering without warning ! while driving!!! I have 80,000km on it ! lucky to be alive! very lucky! lets take this seriously!

- Pickering, 00, USA

Nov 102009

Fit

2007 Honda Fit lost power steering without warning, becoming very hard to steer. Dealer reports code #61-04. There is a July 2009 service bulletin on this problem suggesting replacement of the eps control unit, which has been done. An internet search suggests this problem is common--there should be a recall, as serious accidents could occur as a result of sudden loss of power steering.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 052009

Fit

Without warning, the electric power steering (eps) light lit on my dashboard and my power steering locked up completely. I had no ability to turn into a parking lot to safely leave the road. To solve the problem I had to turn my vehicle off at a stop light and restart the engine. I have a 2007 Honda Fit and luckily, the part is under warranty. However, I've been told by the dealer to continue driving my vehicle while the problem hasn't been fixed. I feel this is a very unsafe performance problem and a recall is in order.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Jul 062009

Fit

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit. While attempting to make a turn after braking at a stop sign, the contact noticed that the steering wheel suddenly locked up. Prior to the failure, the steering wheel would lock into place when the vehicle was started. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 58,298.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Feb 182009

Fit

Driving my 2007 Honda Fit the power steering stopped working. The car was very difficult to steer. Had to pull off the road shut down the engine and wait about 5 minutes before starting car. When car was started power steering returned. I contacted Honda of America and was told that they did not receive any other complaints about this problem. I have made an appointment with a Honda dealer to have this problem checked.

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Mar 262008

Fit 4-cyl

I experienced a safety issue with my Honda Fit vehicle (I have a 2007 non-sport model, automatic) on March 26. After stopping at an intersection, I made a right hand turn and the steering wheel seemed to lock into place. The car continued turning to the right, nearly hitting the curb. I managed to force the steering wheel to the left and straightened the car. I then realized what had happened: One of the keys on my key chain had been sticking out and got stuck in a small orifice that is located on the back side of the steering wheel, near where it meets the steering column. The orifice is just big enough to Fit a finger inside. (there is an orifice on both the left and right sides of the wheel.) I reported this to both the Honda "800" customer service number and to my local Honda dealer in princeton, NJ.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA