2007 Honda Fit steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Fit:

2007 Honda Fit Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 182016

Eps failure: Last month, after a gas station stop; I started the car, to see the electric power steering (eps) indicator lit. Finding the power steering not working, I checked the manual. Turning the car off & on as recommended reset the indicator and unlocked the power steering. The problem has occurred several more times since then. Last week the problem happened three times, and persisted until I drove a short distance. I'm worried about failure in traffic, during a turn, etc. Reading online, I found many drivers reporting this trouble with both older and newer Fits, low and high mileage; sometimes happening while driving. The trouble can occur at highway speeds, a dangerous situation. The issue is detailed in Honda service bulletin 09-043, July 7, 2009.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 012016

I was driving down a city road going 45 mph driving straight and my steering wheel jerked out from both hands and swerved me, my wife, and our infant daughter into the oncoming lane. The power steering then went out and I was able to regain control of the car. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic. We stopped at a gas station. Upon restarting the car, the power steering came back on. We have had the power steering fail on us before, but it had never jerked the wheel out of my hands like it did this time. In another instance, we were driving 65 mph on the highway (driving straight), and the eps gave out first one one side, and then the other, pulling hard on one side, but not pulling the wheel from my hands. I took my Honda Fit to a local dealer. There is a service bulletin and a warranty extension for this issue. I have a rebuilt title on my car and the warranty doesn't cover my issue. This should be a factory recall.

- Fairdale, KY, USA

Sep 052014

As I was driving up a hill, on a curve, at about 40mph, the power steering locked. I was so close to getting in a multi-vehicle car accident. Usually this eps problem happens first thing, right when I start the car in the morning every once in a while and according to the owner's manual, when this problem happens, we are supposed to turn the car off and turn it back on. Obviously, Honda acknowledges there is a problem with the eps, except this time, it happened while I was driving. I don't feel safe driving the car. This problem could lead to accidents, including fatalities. They should have a recall on this part instead of just doing a service bulletin. GM has a similar problem, if not the same, and they care enough about their clients to do a recall and fix the problem, rather then just provide a service bulletin. Honda should do the same for the safety of their clients.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Power steering went out. Car was extremely hard to turn. Turned the car off and restarted it and the steering work. This is an extremely dangerous problem. Please issue a recall.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Jul 042014

Fit 4-cyl

Power steering failed as leaving work. Starting car has been a recent issue since the starter is having problems but the power steering failing the only solution has to been to restart the car. In this case not possible since I could not get the car to restart.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Apr 142011

Fit 4-cyl

Loss of power steering. It was parked the first time it happened, in 2011. It didn't happen again for a couple years. Now it has happened several times in the last 24 hours, on 06/10/2014. Mostly while parked/idle. Once while in traffic. I live in the mountains on a windy road. This is very dangerous! Honda should issue a recall. I have read about their service bulletin on the issue (replacing eps control unit.)

- Nederland, CO, USA

Jun 062014

Fit 4-cyl

Upon restarting the car after a rest stop the steering wheel was noted to be upside down. It could be turned 360 or more degrees when the car was not moving. The steering worked when the car was moving, but at a stop it may be turned freely again.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Aug 152013

Fit 4-cyl

Once in August 2013 I was making a right turn and power steering went out. Then again this time in April 2014 power steering went out again while driving, this time I was going around 45 mph. Both times, when you turn car off and start again power steering works fine.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jan 012011

I've had this issue numerous times over the past few years. When the ambient temperature is below approximately 45 degrees F, the electronic power steering module relay makes a strange clicking buzzing sound immediately after the engine starts. The power steering warning indicator light stays illuminated on the dash and the steering wheel is very stiff and difficult to move. The condition can be remedied by turning the key to the off position, waiting a few seconds and trying again, although this cycle may have to be repeated a dozen times before the power steering comes back on. Driving the vehicle without the electronic power steering active is dangerous as it's obvious the system was designed to be highly assisted. You could find yourself in a situation where you are stranded by this issue. Apparently it's a common one, so much so that Honda has issued a service bulletin for it which calls for replacing the eps module at a cost of $700+. luckily I haven't had it fail while driving but I'm afraid it could as it has for others. It's obvious with the frequency of this issue that there was a manufacturing defect in the eps module which should warrant a recall.

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Feb 192014

Fit 4-cyl

I started the car and noticed the power steering light was on. I tried to turn the wheel and it was very difficult to turn. I turned off the car, looked under the hood and then read online that I should try restarting the car. I restarted the car and the power steering light was still on. I turned off the car and turned it back on again and the light went off. Steering was normal and I drove to work. I am afraid this may fail again while driving and I have seen that this is a common problem on internet websites.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Dec 242013

Fit 4-cyl

Was in the left turn lane to enter freeway on-ramp. Once signal turned green, it was extremely difficult to turn the steering wheel. The power steering warning light appeared on the dashboard. Was somehow able to make it back home. Turned off the ignition per car manual, restart car and trouble cleared (no more warning lite, steering ok). Did some research on web, found out that Honda has issued service bulletin 09-043 to correct this defect (ie. Replace eps control module). Went to independent Honda repair shop, no trouble codes found on their scope (clears out after restart). Called Honda cust service (800-999-1009), but was told that since it's out of the 3 year warranty period, and nothing they can do. I just took my car to the Honda dealer to have the eps module replaced ($700 + labor), since I do not want to risk driving knowing that the steering can go out at any moment. I'm hoping that NHTSA can put pressure on Honda to issue a recall as this problem can be life threatening, especially if the eps went out on a curve or mountain road. Once again, when the eps unit goes out, it is extremely hard to steer!!!

- Placentia, CA, USA

Feb 272013

Fit 4-cyl

Power steering failed to engage when starting from a cold start and attempting to drive out of a parking lot. Indicator panel light came on. Turned car off, then started again and power steering engaged without incident. This same scenario occurred a few more times over the following months, however, much more frequent these last 2 months, Nov./Dec. 2013. Has not happened while traveling on the road thankfully. Car becomes very hard to steer. Informed Honda service center 12/17/13 of problem during routine oil change, they performed diagnostic ($75) and recommended replacing the electric power steering control unit (eps) for $958. Investigated online posts and found many others have been dealing with this issue as well. Since this is a known condition by Honda (service bulletin # 09-043) and is a potential and deadly safety issue, I feel it warrants investigation and subsequent recall action.

- Delavan, WI, USA

Dec 102013

Power steering failed. Steering was heavy while driving.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 052013

Power steering went out while driving. Was fine after restart, but this is dangerous. Dealer only reset computer. This problem is all over the NHTSA site, and the car needs to be recalled!

- Erie, PA, USA

Nov 262013

Fit 4-cyl

Stopped at red light power steering light came on steering went stiff. 2nd incident.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Nov 032013

Fit 4-cyl

Power steering suddenly froze up in the middle of a left turn. Steering warning light came on, but I was nearly hit by a car that assumed I would be able to turn faster. Steering seemed to reset after turning the car off then on again, but did notice some sluggishness with acceleration after restarting. This is a really dangerous problem and I notice other published reports of this, so I think this warrants an investigation and a recall!

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 192012

Fit 4-cyl

While going 65mph on the freeway the power steering gave out and the little light icon on the dash turned on. Luckily, because I was going so fast I didn't need to turn the steering wheel much in order to get the car to move off to an exit. When the power steering gives out the wheel is almost impossible to turn. After that it would happen intermittently. Sometimes I would turn on the car and immediately the icon would light up and there would be no power steering. Then I would shut the car off and on again and then it would work again. Then I finally got stuck somewhere and had to be towed to the dealer. They had to replace the power steering computer" it cost $600+5 hours of labor. Now, almost a year later, it happens again. Now they are saying that it is the motor connected to the power steering" anyhow, super dangerous to be able to lose steering capabilities at any time.

- Fremont, CA, USA

May 192013

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the power steering failed. The contact stated that the driver had to use more effort in order to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the electric power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 022013

Fit 4-cyl

Electric power steering failed while driving. Could barely move the steering wheel. I found out that Honda has a tsb out on this known problem (tsb # 09-043). It involves an expensive replacement of the eps module. If the vehicle is out of warranty, you're out of luck. I believe there should be a recall, as this is a very serious safety issue.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Jan 222013

Fit 4-cyl

Power-assisted steering failed approximately 5 minutes into driving. Warning light for steering did illuminate on the dash console. After turning off vehicle and restarting, the power-assisted steering resumed normal operation.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA