2007 Honda Fit steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Fit:

2007 Honda Fit Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Dec 192011

Fit 4-cyl

Accelerated out of an intersection, from a stop at a stop sign, car lost power, steering...coasted across intersection to a stop. Called for a tow. While waiting, attempted to start car-it started. Drove home and had it towed to dealer, examined for several days, could not find a problem to fix. Same problem just occurred while car was in motion driving at approximately 30 miles per hour. Car suddenly lost steering/power. Got car to side of road. Again, it restarted on its own after a few minutes. Weather conditions cold and dry.

- Devon, PA, USA

Oct 032012

While driving my car across a busy intersection, I was wanting to turn left and in doing so, the power steering went out of the car and I headed right into oncoming traffic. I was unable to re-attain power steering and had to get my car pushed into a parking lot. This is the third time I have lost power steering (first time while driving in a busy intersection). I no longer feel safe driving my car as it had the potential to be a very dangerous incident. I have read on multiple websites that this has been an issues for Honda Fits but there has still not been a recall issued. I know that I feel unsafe now in my own car, something I would never want anyone to feel. This needs to be issued as a recall to ensure that no injuries are sustained due to this occurring. I have taken the car to the dealership, however they are not showing any identification code that the incident occurred. Due to the fact that this has happened on multiple occasions and there is a service bulletin out, it is only right to issue a recall and ensure everyone's safety on the road.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 132012

Fit 4-cyl

My wife was driving on a main street at 35 mph. The power steering went out. An indicator light came on the dash board after the steering quit. She was able to get the car home with out the power steering. We found a forum on line where we found the problem addressed. Once we re-started the car the power steering worked. The people on the forum have complained that it will happen again. I am concerned about the safety of my wife and children. If it goes out whenever what will happen the next time?

- Parma, OH, USA

Jun 012012

Fit 4-cyl

The power steering system acts up and causes you to loose power steering while you're driving making the steering of the car super stiff at a moments notice. According to forums online this, problem is very common amongst Honda Fit owners and most peoples' issue is caused by a faulty electronic power steering control unit. My issue is the same faulty component.

- Greenville, SC, USA

May 152008

Fit 4-cyl

Over the years I have experienced my power steering fail and is happening more often the older the car gets. What happens each and every time is within the first 5-10 minutes of driving in the morning and usually on a damp and cool day is the power steering will stop working and a indicator light will come up on my dashboard. The first time it happened I did what the manual said and pulled over, turned the car off for about a minute and restarted it. It was fine after that and only happened about twice the first year. When I told the dealership that said they have never heard of this problem before and said to do what the manual said. After telling them this happens several times a year they were never concern or checked error messages from the electrical module. I've brought this to their attention several times without any acknowledgement to the sitiuation. Since that first year it is gradually get worse. I started keeping track in a calendar when ever this occurs. One month it happened three times and two of those times were two days in a row. Luckily it's only failed on the highway once which was a very scary experience! so far within the last year this has happened nine times.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

Apr 182012

Fit 4-cyl

2007 Honda sports Fit. Power steering failed a few times already without notice since I bought it last weekend. Power steering did not lock up and was just fine during test drive. A few days ago, warning sign came on. Stopped the car and restarted again a few times and warning sign went away and I was able to drive off. This is a safety issue and Honda should recall this asap.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Mar 242012

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit. While driving on a mountainous road approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle uncontrollably traveled off the road and crashed into a fence. The vehicle then turned completely over and landed back on the wheels. The air bags deployed and the contact and front seat passenger sustained severe injuries. Both were transported to the hospital by medical evacuation. The vehicle was declared as destroyed and towed to a collision facility. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Mar 242012

Fit 4-cyl

Steering wheel suddenly seized up, range of motion about 10 degrees either way; ps warning light appeared on dash. Was able to slow, turn off road, park, consult manual. Restarted engine, ps warning light went off; was able to drive normally to dealer service dept. For advice. They said continue driving, return if any future incidents.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Mar 212012

Fit 4-cyl

Power steering warning light came on immediately after car was started, and steering wheel was very difficult to turn. Car was impossible to drive for even a short distance. Turned car off and back on 15 minutes later and problem was gone. Problem, has not returned since. Weather was 60 degrees, had rained earlier in the day, high humidity. I am concerned that this may represent a safety issue, but am unclear what action to take: 1) immediate dealer repair, -or- 2) wait and see if the problem returns. I want a statement from Honda Corp explaining to owners what to do in various cases and clearly stating when it is safety issue and when it is not. Example: 1 occurrence... do this. Multiple occurrences... do this. Specifically, when is it safe, and when has it not safe to continue driving the car ?

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Jan 172012

Power steering fails intermittantly and can be eliminated temporarily by restarting the car. Service bulletin 09-043 delineates this problem and Honda dealers want in the vicinity of $1000 for the fix. As this is a severe safety problem, I am reporting it now.

- Estes Park, CO, USA

Sep 032008

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit. The contact stated that immediately after starting the vehicle, the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 70,000. The VIN was not available.

- Minneapolis , MN, USA

Jan 132012

Fit 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Honda Fit sport. The steering light in the dash came on and I lost powering steering and had to drive my car home in snowy hazardous conditions. It was very difficult to maneuver my car home I was afraid I was going to have an accident. I drove very slow and cautious but I got home safely. I got home and told my husband and son to look at my car. I turned the car off and when they turned it back on, the steering light turned off and I had power steering again. The next day I started my car and the light was on again and I turned the ignition off and turned it back on and the light went away and power steering came back. I was fortunate this time I didn't have to drive it without power steering. We did some research and found that Honda bulletin 09-043 and found multiple people have had this problem. The bulletin said that all 2007 Fits were effected and that it is the eps (electronic power steering) unit. I am afraid that I will be driving on the highway and this may happen again and this may cause an accident. I am afraid to drive my car and I think Honda should have a voluntary recall on this part as it is very expensive. I was quoted by the dealer for the part only was $734 not including labor. I believe this is a high priority safety issue and should be acted upon immediately by the NHTSA.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Dec 232011

A few times over the past several months, the steering light up on the column but we were able to turn the car off and back on again with the issue resolved. However, this time we were driving across the country and the light turned on and never turned off again. Power steering was completely gone. It was difficult to turn the wheel and drive the car at all.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 112010

Fit 4-cyl

On multiple occasions electric power steering assist would fail on start up, particularly after some overnight rain. Without the steering assist this car becomes difficult and dangerous to handle. Restarting the engine has corrected this intermittent problem so far, but it poses a considerable danger, especially if the steering assist were to cut out during high speed driving.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Nov 042008

Electronic power steering has failed numerous times during the life of the vehicle. Failure occurred twice during driving and caused near misses of other cars. Failure mostly occurs at startup, making it difficult to impossible to drive car. It tends to occur when the temperature is closer to freezing but it has occurred in the summer. Technical service bulletin 09-043 has been discussed on several forums. This is a common problem discussed in numerous forums and is a defect in the manufacturing of the 2007 Honda Fits. A recall is requested as it posses a significant risk to human life and limb, particularly when failure occurs during driving.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Mar 152011

I was driving and without warning the power steering failed. At the same time the power steering warning light lit up on the dashboard. Luckily I was able to maneuver to safety into a parking lot. I shut off and restarted the engine and the power steering functioned normally. Someone with less arm strength may not have been able to maneuver to safety. This problem has reoccurred twice since then.

- Colchester, VT, USA

Aug 222011

Fit 4-cyl

We are having consistent problems with rubbing and squealing noises with right turns. It is very concerning as the rubbing has to be damaging the steering system in some way. Something is definitely going wrong here. It needs to be investigated.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 012007

Fit 4-cyl

After having purchased my Fit, one morning at about 10,000 miles, I started my car a power steering indicator light came on, the orange steering wheel light on my dash. My power steering wouldn't work. I turned the car off and back on then the power steering reengaged. This happened only once and I thought it was just from being cold. As I continued driving the vehicle it started happening more and more frequently, usually when the car was cold in the morning and not very often in the summer. I had my dealership look at it and give me an estimate on the charges since it was now out of warranty. The cost was very expensive and since it was intermittent I thought I would wait until it failed completely. Honda refused to cover the issue, eventhough I was told this was a very rare incident and shouldn't be happening. I am submitting this review because I understand it is not so uncommon on this vehicle and for some it occurs while driving. I will now have the issue fixed because it would be very dangerous for the power steering to disengage while driving. I hope this issue is considered important because Honda should be responsible to fix this failure weather in or out of warranty. There is obviously a defect in the part and due to the possible potential for fatalities if this should fail while driving a recall should be considered. Thank you for your time and consideration.

- Bend, OR, USA

Aug 072011

Fit 4-cyl

Power steering suddenly shuts off - the event has happened on several occasions over the past 3 years: Twice while driving - serious safety risk as car becomes extremely difficult to steer without warning; and three times when starting the car - no power steering immediately upon start. During all events, the eps light came on. During all events, shutting the car of then turning it back on remedied the situation, but this is very hazardous while driving.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Jul 152011

Fit 4-cyl

About three weeks ago, while my wife was driving to work, shortly after leaving our home, the steering wheel became extremely rough and started to shake the car violently through a turn and the eps malfunction indicator came on. She turned the car off and back on again and the issue remedied itself and the eps light turned off. This past weekend, as I was driving the car, the same issue presented itself. This time, however, the unexpected loss of power steering caused me to veer into opposing traffic. Luckily, other drivers in the opposing lane were able to respond quickly and avert an accident. I researched this issue online, including on popular Honda-specific forums, which I am a member of, such as and, as well as general auto forums such as on It became apparent that this is a common issue among owners of Honda Fits, with some owners stating that this occurs 1-2 times a month. Upon further research, I found Honda technical service bulletin 09-043, stating symptoms of ┐the steering feels heavier than normal, ┐ a euphemism for the power steering failing┐a very dangerous occurrence, which I am disappointed that Honda did not issue a full safety recall for, and which we had to find out the hard/dangerous way that this is an issue with our vehicle.

- Oakland Gardens, NY, USA