2003 Hyundai Santa Fe suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 162014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Hit a nasty pothole and knocked the alignment out on my sante fe, or so I thought. When I took it to my mechanic he put it on the lift to check the front end. He found the right side sub frame was rotted and the lower control arm pulling out of the frame. Called Hyundai 800 #. "sorry your car is not covered". this is nuts.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 102014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Right front lower control arms has corrosion damage showing in rusted broken frame. Description is similar to Hyundai recall no 091.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 012013

Santa Fe 4WD 6-cyl

I own a 2003 Santa Fe and just found out about the carriage corrosion problems with the 2001-2003 Hyundai and subsequent recall in the "snow belt" states. I live in Kansas, where they treat the local highways in the winter with salt and other corrosives. Why isn't Kansas included in this recall" has Hyundai included vehicles in this state for the recall" the little truck has been terrific, with nothing going wrong until now. The garage I take my vehicles to would not allow my daughter to get back into the Santa Fe, fearing that she would have an accident. Thank goodness for small favors! I will give his contact information upon response from you.

- Park City, KS, USA

Sep 252013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while reversing at unknown speeds, the front driver's side coil spring failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 105,760.

- Isle, MN, USA

Aug 202013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The passenger from sub frame broke dropping the lower control arm bending the wheel out. This was at big O tires checking alignment. I see there was a class action law suit on this matter covering 2001-2003 santafe's. the front sub frame must be replaced.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Mar 012010

Santa Fe 6-cyl

A couple of years ago, I saw the recall on the rear suspension on 03 Hyundai Santa Fe. So I went to two dealers around my area and asked them to check the condition. One of them did not even responded to my question and returned the car, and another one said they are fine and not need to be either treated or replaced. Then a few days ago, just web surfing the web and found the symptoms of the problem of the rear tailing arms recall. My car has all that symptoms right now, but Hyundai is telling me that my vehicle is not equipped with the faulty trailing arms, and my vehicle is not qualify for the recall. My car swing when I make turns weirdly. It feels like you have a loose trailer in the back. Also the height of the car had been lowered, and also when I go over a speed bump, I hear creaking sound. I have replaced the front struts, strut mounts, and rear shocks so they are not coming from those.

- Abington, PA, USA

Jan 172013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to have NHTSA campaign id number: 09V123000 (suspension: Rear) performed for rust on the trailing arms. The contact stated that the recall repair worked for the rear passenger side but was informed by a private mechanic that it appeared that the dealer did not repair the rear driver side of the vehicle. The contact was also informed that the vehicle could not be driven because the rear wheel and frame of the vehicle was completely rusted. The failure mileage and current mileages were 120,000. The VIN was not available.

- South Plainfield, NJ, USA

Dec 222012

Santa Fe

I purchased a used 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe for my son which he took to college. During winter break, I tool it to a local Hyundai dealer to have a complete tune-up, as well as check a creaking sound in the lower left rear and a "pop" sound when decelerating. The dealer informed me the lower rear left trailing arm is bad and needs to replaced asap for safety reasons at around $500. I checked online and discovered there was a recall on trailing arms for this year, contacted Hyundai - who promptly told me it was not covered as I am not in a "road salt" state. This is a known problem which Hyundai admits, and I feel all of the trailing arms have fatigue issues from these years due to inferior materials. I feel Hyundai should step up and cover the cost, no matter what state we live in, as it is a major safety issue they are well aware of. We have plenty of rain, flooded streets and "salt air" here in Florida!

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Jul 272012

Santa Fe

The right front rocker arm rusted out causing the right front wheel to no longer be properly supported. The lower support arm is no longer fastened to the front support frame. This caused the alignment to be off, improper and excessive tire wear (replaced tires well before the warranty was up). Hyundai had a recall for this problem on other models (front sub-frame) but not on Santa Fe's (only rear trailing arm was included in the recall). When experiencing issues in multiple vehicles for the same reason, but different locations, all locations should be checked and not only the only that is prominent. A 5 minute additional inspection vs. The ultimate worse case scenario of a death, seems like a no brainer. Hyundai knew this could be a problem and refused to address it. This has now cost us almost $3000 in repairs that could have been avoided. The mechanic that found the problem will not let the vehicle be driven from his shop, as it is too dangerous. The worst part is if that if this failure had occurred while traveling over the highway, it could have resulted in a severe crash, which as you know could result in serious injury or death. Hyundai was not interested in hearing about the problem when we contacted them.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jul 212012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Driving down the roadway at 45 mph and vehicle the front end of the car was shaking and making thumping sounds. The steering was pulling the vehicle all over the roadway. I had to have the truck towed to the garage. The mechanic stated that the car can not be fixed due to the control arm rusting away from the body of the vehicle.

- Sevenvalleys, PA, USA

Nov 282011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the brakes were being repaired at an independent repair shop when he was informed that the front suspension system was rusted and corroded. The vehicle was in the process of being towed to an authorized dealer for repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and was assisting the contact. The failure and the current mileages were 153,000.

- Paulsboro, NJ, USA

May 162011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact was stopped at a traffic stop when the control arm from the frame of the vehicle fractured and detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic shop who advised that the sub frame was completely rotten and corroded. The mechanic advised that the frame would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Brentwood, NY, USA

Jan 102007

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I have had a squeaking noise in the tires for several months. I continued to take it to Hyundai and they told me that the tire needed to be replaced and charged me. The squeaking noise was still on the driver's side, so I took it back and they replaced 2 wheel bearings, one in the front and one in the back. Most people know that once changing one you could change all the other on the same side. They refused. I heard a squeaking noise now more than ever, and they claimed they could not hear it. The longer you drive the vehicle the louder it got. This was really costing me my time, and Hyundai dealers did not care about a noise was getting louder. They will not even go over my vehicle anymore when I brought it in. They just stated well we did not know what it was.. I have take the vehicle to two different dealers, and neither one of them took the time. All they wanted was more money for stuff that did not need to be replaced.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Jun 052006

Santa Fe 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated the engine failed without warning. This occurred while driving at various speeds and while at a stop. Upon inspection of the vehicle it was noticed the undercarriage had corrosion, the windshield was etched on the passenger side above the windshield wiper, and the vehicle vibrated. The dealership was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer has not been alerted.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Jul 122004

Santa Fe 4WD 6-cyl

While driving at 50 mph there was vibration in the front of the vehicle. Dealership inspected vehicle several times, and rotated the tires, but could not duplicate or correct the problem. The vibration and flutter occurred at 40 mph to 60 mph and was most noticeable at 50 mph during acceleration and deceleration (60 to 40 mph). The flutter/vibration was felt in the consumers hands on the wheel, feet, and feet. This was an internal vibration/flutter and not just a road vibration.

- Bristol, RI, USA

Dec 092003

Santa Fe

When at a stop vehicle would intermittently jerk forward. Dealerships notified, but the problem was not resolved.

- Salisbury, MD, USA