2007 Hyundai Santa Fe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 112016

Santa Fe

While driving through an intersection at approximately 40 mph my 2007 Santa Fe started to decelerate even as I pushed the gas pedal realizing something was wrong started looking for a place to pull over then all my gauges went crazy fuel gauge showed empty RPM gauge was showing 3000 RPM(engine was off) all dash lights came on and the engine would not start. Oil leaking from front valve cover had shorted out the alternator there for killing my battery. Repair was not cheap

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 152015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the electronic function panel on the driver side failed to work and all of the doors randomly failed to lock on the inside and outside. The vehicle was to be taken to the dealer for further inspection and diagnosis. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V122000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The brake pedal was applied several times and traveled to the floorboard. The contact had to pump the brake pedal each time the failure occurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Mar 052013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the brake ESC warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake solenoid needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. In addition, the contact stated that the gear shifter failed to go into reverse or park and the ESC brake light illuminated. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 092015

Santa Fe

I own a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The air bag light, engine check light, the electric stability control (ESC) light, ABS and the traction control light illuminated steadily on the dash, when the vehicle is turned on. The gas gauge sometimes works even when the tank was full. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who stated that the failures were not recall related. The manufacturer was notified of the failures but restated the position of the dealer, offering no help. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000

- Pardeeville, WI, USA

Aug 232015

Santa Fe

I was traveling to a friend's house on wyda way in sacramento county. I was getting ready to stop at a stop sign and had my foot on the brake. Suddenly, I felt my car being pushed from behind, and then I heard a loud acceleration noise. Right after that moment, my car accelerated on its own and would not stop. I had my foot on the brake the entire time and also tried moving the gear shift lever. It would not move and the car kept accelerating. I thought I was going to die.the next thing that occurred was a horrible collision, resulting in my car hitting another car which hit another car. I sustained serious injuries as well as two fatalities and other injuries in the two cars that were hit. I was taken to uc davis hospital in sacramento where I stayed in the icu for two days and then for an additional two days in the hospital. I was driving a runaway car with no way to stop it.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 292015

Santa Fe

Our 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe has loud noise from the back wheels. Took to the dealer. The dealer said the brake rotors and calipers were rusted. For safety concern, the dealer advised that we have both rotors and calipers changed. It was 6/29/2015 and the car has driven only 257664 miles. Reportedly, dealer replaced rotors and caliper with oem parts. Within 3 months. We notices the rotors are rusted. We took the car back to the dealer on 9/26/2015 and was told, nothing they can do. Asked us to contact Hyundai Corp. On 9/29/2015, we contacted Hyundai usa, but Hyundai kept saying it has passed the 5-year warranty for brake, and ignore the oem parts rusted with 3000 miles and 3 months. When pointed this out, Hyundai practically ignore our concern. Our cars are always kept inside garage. With this rust problem, we began to check on rotors of cars in any parking lot when we went out and parked the car. We found that all most all Hyundai, does not matter which model, their rotors are all rusted. But not other makers vehicles. I also found similar "premature rust" of rotors complaints from Hyundai car owners in the internet. I believe the oem rotors and calipers shall carry the same 5-year warranty as original parts in the car. For safe of customers, Hyundai shall not be allow to use such defected parts in their vehicles. Will NHTSA take action on behalf of us?

- West Chester, PA, USA

Sep 152015

Santa Fe

My 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe suddenly accelerated when I attempted to apply the brakes to slow down so I could get into a left hand turning lane. As soon as I touched the brakes, the car revved up and accelerated to a very high speed on its own. IżM not sure how fast I was going, but fast enough to throw me back against the car seat as I ran through a red light unable to stop. I tried the brakes again but they didn't work.. shifting the car into neutral or any other gear did nothing to slow or stop the car either. I finally reached down and turned the key off, at which time I lost my power steering. I steered into an open field, hit a fence, and continued quite a ways the car was stopped by an incline to a ravine.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Jul 292015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The contact stated depressed the brake pedal to the floor, but they failed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was out of control. The contact turned the ignition switch off and jumped out of the vehicle. The vehicle eventually shut off and was able to be restarted. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Danville, VA, USA

Apr 152015

Santa Fe

At 3:30 P.M. I was in my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe on my driveway, waiting for the garage door to go up. My foot was on the brake. Without warning, the car accelerated. (the 20 mph shown above is approximate.) the car ran into the garage door and knocked it off its tracks. It crashed into built-in wooden cabinets along the side of the garage and came to rest against a wooden platform at the front of the garage. My foot did not leave the brake pedal during this time. The garage door and wooden cabinets were destroyed. The car was declared to be unrepairable. I was considerably shaken up but luckily not injured physically.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Mar 182015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

3/18 driving down a road hit a large pothole ESC off and ABS lights pop on the dash press the ESC button which did nothing.I stop in a parking lot turn the car off and then back on the lights came back on as I pulled away the lights turned off. 3/19 I was driving at about 25-30 and all of a sudden the ESC off and ABS lights came one once again I park at the grocery store to shop. Leaving the grocery store I turn on the vehicle on the dash the same lights are light up as I pull away they turn off NHTSA campaign number: 09V122000 is a recall in place for this issue on my make and model vehicle but it starts for the Santa fes that were manufactured from April of 2007 and further. My Santa Fe was manufactured in mid March of 2007 please look into adding my vehicle to NHTSA campaign number: 09V122000.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Sep 092014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving 70 mph, the stop lamp switch failed and caused the cruise control and brakes to disengage. The brake lights failed to illuminate. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 09V122000 (service brakes, hydraulic), but the failure recurred. The dealer stated that the stop lamp switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Saint Augustine , FL, USA

Aug 132012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

When parking in my garage I noticed the brake lights were still on although the car was off. The brake pedal was hot to touch. No amount of pumping the brakes would turn the lights off. Hyundai dealership reported other 2007 vehicles were recalled but not mine. They made me pay out of pocket for a known faulty part. Since they expanded the recall I believe they owe me a refund.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Aug 132012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Brake light would not turn off. Brakes pedal was hot to touch. Cars behind could not tell if I was stopping or going. Fearful of a car fire I had to drive all over town until I could find someone to assist. Previous recall on other VIN numbers for this exact reason. Hyundai needs to expand recall.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Apr 172014

Santa Fe

When pressing on the brakes, the antilock braking system ABS will activate whether slowing at 10 mph to and intersection or slowing at 50 mph in traffic. While driving, the ESC and ABS warning lights come on at the same time. The brakes and warning lights come on on asphalt streets in good shape, on bumpy roads, or going over speed bumps. The ABS activated when coming to an intersection preventing the car from stopping at the stop light. South bay Hyundai in torrance ca says its the ABS control module and will replace it for $2300 and we cannot have our car back for 4 days. The vehicle is in very good shape. Purchased August 2007. Has 90169 miles.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Feb 172014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Brake switch malfunctioned causing ESC off light to illuminate, cruise control not to engage, and brake lights to not illuminate. Check engine code of P0405 being thrown by onboard computer to indicate failure.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Oct 102013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

At a slow speed while turning (either direction, as incident has occurred now 3 times in 10 weeks) vehicle loses all power to steer and brake. Feels like the car has died, however the battery and check engine light are on. When it resolved, the engine was still running, brakes and steering restored. First two times the power failure was momentarily. Third time the vehicle lost power for 3-4 minutes and stranded me while turning onto major road from my neighborhood with oncoming traffic. Had car towed to local Hyundai dealer who kept insisting they would need to see the vehicle fail in order to know how to repair it. I said not good enough, they need to find another method to trouble shoot and refused to pick up vehicle. Now the dealer is blaming the power loss on worn front tires and the ESC system cutting power to the engine, steering and brakes due to it sensing slippage. I'm not buying this explanation from the dealer, especially because of (1) the slow speed (no slipping tires in these three instances), and (2) tires have slipped on quick acceleration before without ESC system cutting power to brakes & steering, and (3) if this were the case, I would think ESC would be potentially dangerous and not designed to save lives! will file complaint with Hyundai America but I don't have much faith that they will be of help.

- Apex, NC, USA

Nov 072013

Santa Fe

I went to the dealer to have recall issues corrected and another customer brought his same year vehicle with the same issues in for his recalls. I heard him tell the service guy the exact same issues I was having. They pulled my car around and when I got in the car the ESC light was still on so I went back in to ask about it and he pulls it up my info and tells me the production date did not qualify and that it's the brake switch. He then shows me the production date for the other customer and uses it as an example as to how it's based on when the car was built. He explains why it happens and the danger in it so I stop him and ask him if it's just a coincidence that there's a recall for this issue. Any way you look at it the other customer had the same make and model and year as mine with the same brake switch recall problem yet it didn't affect my car and he looked at me and said the dealership wouldn't get paid for the work cause it wouldn't be reimbursed by Hyundai and if I call Hyundai and was real nice that they may allow it. I called and very nicely explained that my car was having the issues directly related to the brake switch and that a Hyundai dealership had inspected it and printed me copies stating that it was the issue for the recall and said there was nothing they could do. Obviously they are not taking responsibility to account for every single vehicle affected by there mistakes and further more after explaining to me the danger with it they don't care enough about my safety and have no problem sending me back on the street with the faulty vehicle the sold me. If there's anything you can do to look into it and help out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

- Lawrenceville , GA, USA

Jun 112013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated while attempting a turn. The brakes also failed and the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact crashed into the passenger's side of a large truck and sustained injuries to the head, a fractured finger and ankle. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an auto body shop but was neither repaired nor diagnosed to determine the cause of the braking or acceleration failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000. Updated 01/14/14

- Forrest City , AR, USA

Aug 072013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The brakes light was functioning (not on) when the brake pedal is depressed. The ESC off light start to stay on.

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Jul 292013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Purchased used vehicle in March of 2013 at 32700 miles. 4 mos later at 43000 miles rear brakes began grinding severely. Took it to the dealer and they informed me the rear caliper got stuck/froze and the grinding damaged the rotor. Brake pad and rotor on rear driver side must be replaced and brake pad and rotor on passenger side needs resurfacing. Also ESC light has been turning off and on and dealership claims there is no recall on the brake switch despite the NHTSA having the brake switch listed as defective and causing issues with the ESC.

- Newark, NJ, USA