2007 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 032013

Santa Fe

When I would begin acceleration the vehicle would hesitate then take off rapidly then I would loose power to a speed of @ 15 miles per hour and the ESC off switch would appear on the dashboard followed by the check engine light. I safely pulled over and turned the vehicle off for about 30 seconds. Once I turned the vehicle back on, the dashboard lights would go out and I would repeat this cycle 8-9 times before being able to drive normally. On several occasions after driving normally for about 10 miles the ESC off light would reappear on the dashboard and I would loose power while driving sometimes on a highway which was extremely dangerous to go from 60 mph to coasting at @ 15 mph. Diagnosis from the car dealer is the throttle position censor and throttle body part. In my opinion this is a serious malfunction and certainly dangerous combination and should be labeled as a recall. Hyundai should value the safety and expectations of their car buyers. When we as consumers purchase a vehicle we expect an excellent quality product. I researched this vehicle before purchasing and was led to buy it because of the many solid qualities I found. As a consumer, I am disappointed in this malfunction and equally disappointed in Hyundai for not stepping up to the plate to correct this major safety, quality and important issue. Furthermore, I was in the market to upgrade my sante fe, however now I will be looking into another vehicle to purchase.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Apr 242013

Santa Fe

While accelerating to pass a car, my accelerator got stuck and I couldn't get my car to stop with the brakes. This had happened once before, a couple of years ago and I was able to get it 'unstuck' by pumping brake and accelerator. I took the car in to be checked and the dealer said they couldn't 'recreate' the issue and that it was probably my floor mats. I basically chalked it up as a fluke, although I never agreed with the floor mat scenario. When it happened this time, I tried pumping brakes, accelerator, downshifting, etc. And the car slowed down some, but wouldn't actually stop until I ran into the back of another car. Even then, the engine was revving and the only way I could get it to stop was to turn it off. I was too afraid to drive it again so it was towed and is being checked for mechanical malfunction. I see that there are numerous complaints about this issue and don't understand why there hasn't been a recall!!

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 092013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While traveling on the interstate at approximately 70 mph, I attempted to deactivate the cruise control by tapping on the brake pedal. The cruise control did not turn off even with holding the brake down harder. I was able to shut off the cruise control using the off switch on the steering wheel. Upon exiting the interstate and reaching my destination, I could not get the shifter to go into park. After shutting the car off and on several times, I got it to go into park. It has only done this one time and never happened since then. Fortunately, I was driving and not my teenage daughter who normally drives this vehicle. Her lack of experience may have caused her to panic when the cruise control failed to deactivate with the brake pedal.

- Hurricane, WV, USA

Apr 072013

Santa Fe

Car began accelerating as if cruise control was on. I put my foot on the brake and the car hesitated for a second. My foot then returned to the gas pedal and again the car began to accelerate at a very fast pace. My foot then returned to the brake and the speed continued to increase. I then put the car into park and shut off the ignition. Prior to turning off the car the speedometer showed speed of 90 miles per hour. My vehicle then rolled to a stop. When the tow truck driver attempted to start the vehicle the steering column was locked and he was not able to turn the key in the ignition. The car was towed to the Hyundai dealership. The following morning they claimed they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle and suggested that the incident was caused by my floor mat.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Mar 282013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while parked, she shifted into drive when the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a parking sign. The contact shut the ignition off in order to stop the vehicle and avoid crashing into other vehicles. The police reported to the scene and filed a report. There were no injuries. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Gerry, NY, USA

Mar 252013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While attempting to accelerate on an interstate to pass a vehicle, the accelerator pedal became stuck and the vehicle quickly sped up to 80 mph in a matter of seconds. Thankfully due to recent accelerator issues/recalls for other manufactures, I was able to shift the vehicle into neutral. The engine was pegged at max rpms while I frantically tried to get over through the lanes with the car in neutral. With three children aboard, this was a very harrowing experience. I was ultimately able to reach down, grab the accelerator pedal, and yank it back. After doing this, it again drove normally. I immediately looked at the pedal, floor mat, and carpet once arriving home. It is clearly obvious that the floor carpet itself (not the mat, the actual vehicle's carpeting) just under the pedal has hardened and developed a bulge such that the pedal will get stuck in it if depressed to far. This was brought to the immediate attention of the Hyundai dealership who indicated the warranty was no longer valid as the vehicle was past 60K miles (75K), and a call placed to Hyundai usa again yielded the same results, that the owner would need to pay $1400 to replace the flooring. There is clearly a design flaw in the floor carpet and raised section directly under the accelerator pedal that lead to this unintended acceleration, putting my safety at risk, and Hyundai is willing to hide behind the warranty to avoid keeping its once loyal customer safe.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Mar 182013

Santa Fe

Cruise control would turn on but not allow a speed to be set. Also ESC off light remained on dash solid. We never received any notice of a recall from Hyundai. I see numerous other Hyundai owners who have had this problem.also the check engine light has been on and won't turn off no matter how many times the cap is taken off then put back on after three turns. Fuel reads empty when tank is full.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Nov 302012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While driving at 35 mph, accelerator suddenly did no longer respond and "check engine" and ESC warning lit up and speed decreased. I was able to coast at 5-10 mph to the nearest dealer 8 miles away. They immediately diagnosed it to the tps unit (throttle position sensor), which was replaced under an extended warranty. However this is the second incident with this car. The first time happened in October 2007 just a week after we bought the car. We had to coast down a mountain from 8000 feet. At that time the tps unit was also replaced but under the original warranty. It is scary if/when it happens while passing a vehicle on the freeway or even in dense city traffic. I will alert Hyundai to this problem myself.

- Green Valley, AZ, USA

Mar 302009

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that when driving at any speed, the accelerator would lose power and the vehicle would decelerate independently. All of the warning lights on the dashboard were illuminated constantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the cause of failure was the tps sensor. The tps sensor was repaired however, the failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 19,443 and the current mileage was 60,278.

- Trail , OR, USA

Aug 152012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Faulty brake switch A/B. obd codes P0571 & P0504 recorded. Symptoms: Brake lights would not light with brake pedal depressed. Cruise control would turn on but not allow a speed to be set. Also ESC off light remained on dash solid. Seems to be exact symptoms associated with NHTSA campaign id number 09V122000. We never received any notice of that recall from Hyundai. When I brought it to the attention of my local Hyundai dealership, I was told that recall did not apply to my vehicle. When I contacted Hyundai support I was told the same thing. I see numerous other Hyundai owners who have had this problem were also told the recall did not apply to their vehicle (via internet reports). I believe the recall should have applied to my vehicle. I have replaced the part myself and the repair seems to have corrected all the symptoms. The removed part is a genuine part of Hyundai/Kia. It is P/N 92810-3K000. Below the P/N is ">PA66-GF30<" and "infac". there is a red and a green stripe painted across this face of the part. On another face of the part is stamped "6D07".

- Rochester, MN, USA

Jul 312012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving 3 mph the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a building. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for repair however they would not repair the vehicle until the manufacturer sent someone to inspect the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to get repaired. A complaint was filed with the manufacturer. The failure and current mileage was 69,000. Updated 10/11/12 updated 10/16/12

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Jun 212012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to start consistently. The electronic stability control warning light was illuminated as well as the four wheel drive warning light. The service engine light was also illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where the failure was located as a faulty sensor of the throttle body that led to the pedal. The vehicle was repaired by replacing the electronic throttle control system with throttle position sensors one and two. The approximate current mileage was 50,500. The approximate failure mileage was 48,500. Updated 9/10/12

- Redmond, OR, USA

Jun 052012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I was going to park in my parking spot and the car just accelerated and jumped a granite curb and struck a 4 in pole in the ground. The car kept hitting the pole almost driving up it. The car wouldn't stop even after I pressed on the brake, finally I couldn't stop it until I placed both feet on the brake pedal and pressed as hard as I could. It was frightening, when I called the garage they wanted me to drive it up to the shop, I couldn't I was afraid it would accelerate. I explained what happened to the dealership collision guy and he said he had never hear of such a thing. I told him I had looked on the website and found quite a few reports. They said they would look at the vehicle. Right.

- Jay, ME, USA

Mar 212012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the electronic stability control warning lamp illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that he was able to restart the vehicle but the failure recurred within driving a very short distance. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V122000 (service brakes, hydraulic:switches:brake light). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 17,500. Updated 04/27/12 the consumer stated the vehicle lost power and the ESC light illuminated. The dealer replaced the throttle position sensor and updated the ECM

- Cullman, AL, USA

Feb 072012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact was driving 50 mph when the accelerator pedal failed to release after being depressed. As a result, the contact was involved in a crash. The contact was injured and a police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was awaiting a diagnosis of the failure. The contact believed that the all-weather floor mats (weather tech all weather floor mats, part number: W56) were the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 60,000.

- Madison, WY, USA

Dec 262011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

At approximately 5:45 last night, while changing lanes and accelerating from 35 to 40 mph, my Santa Fe suddenly floored its own accelerator pedal and would not release. Tried to 'fight it' with the brake pedal but nothing would release the accelerator, including pumping it slightly. The way we got the car to stop was by putting on the parking brake, pushing the brake pedal to the floor and trying to downshift the car in drive (because it would not let us put the car into neutral). When it got slow enough (15 mph or so), we cut the engine and the car screeched to a halt, burning rubber smelling surrounding us. Only then could we put the car into 'park'. once we restarted the car it did not do the acceleration again. Our dealer is pretending this is not an issue, though a very quick google search shows that this very much is a known issue that they are ignoring. It is my belief that they are waiting for deaths to happen before acting on this issue and fixing it. This is a major safety issue that needs addressing immediately.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Jul 082011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Throttle position sensor failed, resulting in no response when accelerator was depressed. Car would only idle.

- Worthington, OH, USA

Mar 072011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck as the vehicle accelerated at a high rate of speed. The contact pumped on the accelerator pedal until it released and the vehicle resumed normal operation. The vehicle was previously taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing but the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 03/23/11 the consumer stated the dealer replaced the throttle body on 03/16/11. Updated 03/24/11

- Perth Amboy, NJ, USA

Feb 272011

Santa Fe

Sudden unintended acceleration 2007 Santa Fe Hyundai - 2nd time around..this time on a private road car engine revved up, all brake systems failed, could not shift into neutral - mechanism would not move, had to hold on the stirring wheel and ride it out.; saw main thoroughfare coming up swerved into gas station; saw wall had thought to swerve into street; would have toppled vehicle saw small park went across thoroughfare unto park area; understood car was airborne and when it hit the ground went on two wheels on the right hand side and then came down unto the 4; stirred strait into clearing between trees; sampling and dirt stopped vehicle. 1 passenger contests he has slight fracture on skull; the near fatality might have been to a plausible number of children, parents, adults, cars and tractor trailers on main road. This could have been. The after result is the nervousness that rides in one's soul when on the road. Had over 20 witnesses to this event. This is an ongoing epidemic, my case has been ignored and other cases have been ignored isn't it time that this is reviewed before real fatalities become actualization. Thank you.

- Tobyhanna, PA, USA

Dec 262010

Santa Fe

We were traveling North on route 27 near oxford, Ohio in our 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. While passing a slow moving truck, I realized that the car was accelerating on its own and we went from 40 mph to over 90 mph in seconds. (the car's high speed was recorded by our garmin gps). I pressed hard on the brakes and felt the brakes being applied, but the engine was still racing at full throttle. I pressed very hard on the brakes again, but the car only slowed down a little. I pushed the cruise control on and then off hoping the car would stop accelerating. That did not help. I put the transmission in shift mode and tried to downshift so that I could slow down the car, but that only made the engine race even faster. I finally put the car in neutral, turned the ignition key off and applied the brakes to slow the car. We pulled over onto the grass on the side of the road. This all happened in a matter of seconds. We waited on the side of the road for a few minutes and then started the car again and it seemed fine. The engine was idling at a normal rate and there were no engine warning lights. We continued our trip cautiously, maintaining a distance from the cars ahead and most of the time kept a hand on the shift, so that the car could quickly be put in neutral again. I took the car to the Hyundai dealer on Monday. They ran various tests but reported that they could not find anything wrong. I told the service manager that it was unacceptable. We were sure there was a serious defect with the car. He then contacted Hyundai corporate headquarters and they proposed keeping the car for several days so that they could road test the car with diagnostic tools attached. We were concerned allowing them to drive the car and decided to sell it back to the dealer. The dealer could then run whatever tests they needed to try and figure out the problem.

- Pleasantville , NY, USA