2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Aug 132016

Santa Fe

My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe began having issues with the fuel gauge over a month ago. Every time I fill up the tank, the gauge will go to "E" and the "low fuel" light comes on, despite a full tank. At times the meter would starting moving up towards "full" but then bounce around. I understand it's close to $!000 to get this fixed - but I have read about so many other Hyundai Santa Fe uses with the same issue that I believe a recall should be in place. Currently I'm just driving locally and I just fill up every time I take the car out, but on the highway for long trips that is very dangerous. Very surprised there is not a recall with the number of complaints about this.

- Lockport, IL, USA

Jul 012016

Santa Fe

Fuel guage reads empty when at least half full.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 252015

Santa Fe

Our gas gauge shows empty, and the fuel light stays on, all the time. This occurs even after we fill the car up. This occurs whether the car is stationary or running. We have to track our fuel level by keeping track of the mileage. Also, if we turn the car off when fueling, it will not turn back on. We have to try over and over again until it turns on. We have found that if we leave the car running while fueling, it usually stays running; however, a lot of times, the car stops running and then, we struggle to get it started again. This is our 2nd Santa Fe (our first was a 2004, with which we never had a problem). If Hyundai doesn't do something to fix this problem, this will be our last Hyundai. This is dangerous on many levels, and as we all can see, there are currently about 350 other 2008 Santa Fe owners who have posted on this site with the same problem, this is an obvious safety defect, and needs to be recalled. Also, I noticed someone else mentioned they change low beams about once a month. We too, are having the same problem. We have changed more headlamps in this car than we have in all of our cars combined over 40 years.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 202016

Santa Fe

Fuel guage shows false reading, engine light comes on when tank is filled and shows empty reading. Guage will start rising after many miles (one hundred or more). Fuel guage will drop to empty. Car is stationary when filling, but giving false readings when moving anywhere. We never know when we are going to run out of gas. This is a safety issue and should be recalled!

- Moscow, PA, USA

Aug 312016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. While having the vehicle routinely inspected for emissions, the vehicle failed due to a faulty fuel gauge. The check engine indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing, but the details could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,129.

- Montague, MA, USA

Jul 262015

Santa Fe

In July/Aug of 2015 my gas gauge and miles-to-empty indicator started going crazy. I would fill the tank with gas but the gauge read empty. While driving, the miles-to-empty indicator would constantly, rapidly change from 200 to 40 to 68 to 113 to whatever so I couldn't tell how much gas I had left. I took the car in for an oil change at Hyundai on Aug 8, 2015 and asked them to also look at the gas gauge. He said that there was nothing they could do until the engine light came on. The engine light finally came on at the end of November 2015 so I took the car in 12/10/15, and they said they had to replace two fuel sensors in the gas tank. When the problem initially started, I had about 64000 miles on the car.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 152016

Santa Fe

Like so many others, my fuel gauge is completely non functional. I have run out of gas in the middle of heavy traffic and now just fill the car up weekly to avoid issues. This is clearly an engineering issue given the frequency with which it occurs in this vehicle.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Apr 072016

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel level sensors in this car have failed. Regardless of the amount of gasoline in the tank, the fuel gauge reads that there is no fuel, and the check engine light remains "on" at all times. This is a safety issue because it can lead to a situation where the driver runs out of fuel (since the fuel gauge is not accurate) and the car stalls in the middle of traffic. That has not yet happened to me, but it could. Based on a short internet search for others who have had a similar issue, and discussing the issue with local automotive repair shops, this is a common problem for this vehicle. There is no evidence on the NHTSA site that this common problem has led to a recall, but I believe that it should. Thank you for your time and consideration.

- Ponte Vedra, FL, USA

May 282016

Santa Fe

This pertains to repair cost of $850.56 for my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel gauge that was not reading the correct amount of fuel. I believe this issue pertains to manufacture's defect and Hyundai should initiate a recall. Additionally, my Hyundai only has about 58,360 miles to have a major repair cost of $850.56.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Mar 152015

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge has failed, leaving no indication of fuel remaining in vehicle. Could cause crash due to vehicle running out of fuel.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Apr 162016

Santa Fe

My check engine will come on and the fuel gauge sensor will move erratically. I can go put gas in the car and it will still say empty. I do not know if I need gas or not. Very unsafe when travelling with kids. I keep pitting gas in because I'm afraid I'll run out. Had it checked by a mechanic and it showed the reason why the check engine light is on is because of the fuel gauge sensor. Real pain. This needs to be recalled and fixed before it causes serious bodily harm to someone. The vehicle can be stationary or in motion it doesn't matter it will still go haywire.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 152016

Santa Fe

At 140,000 miles, the fuel sensor fails to show the correct amount of fuel. The indicator moves from half to empty in an instant. After re-cranking and driving a bit, the fuel needle will then slowly return to showing under half a tank. The range indicator does not indicate the correct range due to faulty sensor. I have to watch the trip mileage to know the amount of fuel I have. All problems start at about a 1/2 tank. Check engine light is on. Calling dealer but I know the answer after reading the complaints. I don't really have the $$$ to fix.

- Milton, FL, USA

Mar 262016

Santa Fe

The fuel level sensor failed at around 55,000 miles, which resulted in the driver being unable to tell how much fuel was in the tank. Fuel transfer unit and fuel pump assembly had to be replaced.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Nov 102015

Santa Fe

Defective fuel sensor. Driving on the highway fuel gauge began fluctuating erratically. Check engine light came on. Had to stop due to unsure if I had a fuel leak or if something would happen to the engine. After checking there was no leak I continued home even though the check engine light was on and fuel gauge showed no gas. I have researched and found thousands of people on the internet with the same issue with this make and year of vehicle. In New York state my vehicle would not pass inspection with the check engine light on. Repairs cost me over $800. Vehicle only has 72,000 miles. I feel Hyundai should compensate the consumer for an obvious defect when they have to make a repair that is not related to wear and tear of the vehicle.

- East Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 282016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai sante fe. After the vehicle was taken in for inspection, the technician stated that the fuel gauge failed and the fuel gauge sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA

Feb 222016

Santa Fe

Gas gauge sensor not reading level of gas in the car. Online I read many others with the sante fe, especially 2007-2008 year with this problem. I only have 80, 000 miles and it is not reading the appropriate gas level and fluctuates. The gas engine light is on and a mechanic read the code that it is the gas gauge sensor. I have read accounts online of the car reading gas at zero and turning the car off. I am now terrified to drive my car and have filled the gas up every day. The engine light remains on. When the mechanic wiped out the code I filled up the tank and the next day drove over an hour and then the gas read just above half full and the engine light came back on. I can't believe this has not been issued a recall when it is very dangerous to have a car just shut off on the highway. Do people have to die before a recall is issued?

- Newton, MA, USA

Feb 212016

Santa Fe

When I depressed the accelerator the pedal went down to the floor on its own and no amount of braking could bring the car under control. At the time I was traveling at 55mph and the car shot to 70mph. Finally after pumping brakes several times the pedal popped up with an audible sound. Happened the next day as well same thing. I have read that the throttle position sensor is the culprit and the dealerships cite driver error, and floor mats, which is what I was told. I am attaching a letter sent to Hyundai and the NHTSA. Happend the following day as well.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

Jan 272016

Santa Fe

My engine light came stays on and then shuts off. My gas gauge keeps moving up and down. Once I fill my gas tank completely the gas will show filled and engine light will go off and then within an hour the engine light will come on and the gas gauge goes to empty and the fuel light comes on showing the car as empty. Then within 20 minutes the gas gauge will move back up and the gas gauge will shut off but the engine light stays on. This will happen constantly with the gas gauge going up and down.this occurs while the car is stationary and in motion on city street or expressway. My mechanic basically told me it's the gas gauge but he is still investigating.

- Alsip, IL, USA

Jan 302015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the fuel tank misread the amount of fuel in the tank on more than one occasion. In addition, the fuel tank was incapable of being filled completely and could only be filled up to five gallons. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Morehead City, NC, USA

Nov 012015

Santa Fe

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 78K miles. Fuel gage reading starting bouncing around. Showed half full on a freshly filled tank. Eventually check engine light came on. Error code P0464 (fuel level sensor 'a' electrical circuit was intermittent for a predetermined period of time.). fuel sensors required replacement. An inaccurate fuel reading is a safety concern, just like any other issue that can lead to unexpected vehicle shutdown. The numerous reports on the web concerning the failure of the fuel sensors in the 2008 Santa Fe suggests strongly that a recall is warranted.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA