2.2

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Nov 212016

Santa Fe

The fuel sensor(s) and/or the fuel gauge on my 2008 have failed. This has caused my fuel gauge and "range" before empty gauge to fluctuate and give a false reading. I have done some research on this problem and it seems that there are a huge number of similar complaints. This is a potential safety hazard as stalling out in heavy traffic is a possibility. I am curious why Hyundai has not accepted responsibility for this and recalled these car for repair.

- Lusby, MD, USA

Oct 112016

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge shows empty tank, when tank is full. Check engine light on, but is intermittent. Risk is that vehicle runs out of fuel with no notice.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Jul 262016

Santa Fe

The check engine light came on and the gas gauge was not working properly. On 7/27/2016 I took the vehicle to the dealership and they replaced the fuel senders. On 9/9/2016 I took the vehicle back to the dealership because when the gas tank was full, there were very strong fuel fumes inside the vehicle. The maintenance rep stated that they checked it out and made sure everything was sealed properly. He also stated that it was probably the fuel tank purge valve for when the weather is hot the gas will expand. In eight years this has never been an issue. Now it is November and there are still gas fumes inside the vehicle. I am now taking the vehicle back for a third time. The fumes are so strong that nobody can sit in the back seat of the vehicle. Even when the vehicle is sitting in the garage overnight, there are strong gas fumes present.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 202016

Santa Fe

After a period of time where I noticed the fuel gauge acting erratically (occasionally widely swinging) the check engine light eventually illuminated. Dealer service found code P0464: "inspected cluster for any loose connections or damage, no issue found with cluster or wiring. Removed the sending units and found send units out of spec when moving by hand and ohm senders. Replaced both sending units and cleared codes."

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 022016

Santa Fe

My vehicle has had a fuel gauge that would move up and down while car is still. Today the check engine light came on with a code P0464-fuel level sensor. The fuel in vehicle is at half and the gauge would go all the way to empty (with empty light coming on) then it would go back to half and move every now and then. The vehicle is at 83000. So far the the gauge is somewhat working but is very frustrating knowing that this can be a $500 repair since it will involve the gas tank. This can make for a bad situation if the gauge completely fails.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Oct 072016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 hyundia Santa Fe. While operating the vehicle, the check engine indicator illuminated and the fuel gauge indicator provided false readings. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 143,000.

- Camden, NC, USA

Oct 012016

Santa Fe

A problem is regarding fuel gauge failure /check engine light. Check engine light comes on, goes off, fuel gauge register on empty with light indicator anytime tank is less than full.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Oct 152016

Santa Fe

Fuel level sensor failed, approx. $650 in repairs. Upon researching, it looks as if this is a huge problem but Hyundai is failing to deal with it (ie recalls).

- Virden, IL, USA

Oct 022016

Santa Fe

While waiting at a traffic light, the fuel gauge started reading erratically, eventually causing P0464 error code. Replaced both fuel level sensors & problem returned, within 2 days time.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Oct 112016

Santa Fe

I've been noticing my mileage is slowly declining and the check engine light just came on the other day. I've noticed my gas hand sometimes goes down to make the light come on then it goes back up. Took my car to see why the check engine light came on and the code read fuel gauge sending unit is bad. I've read several complaints about this issue with Santa Fe's but no recall as of yet.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Aug 132016

Santa Fe

My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe began having issues with the fuel gauge over a month ago. Every time I fill up the tank, the gauge will go to "E" and the "low fuel" light comes on, despite a full tank. At times the meter would starting moving up towards "full" but then bounce around. I understand it's close to $!000 to get this fixed - but I have read about so many other Hyundai Santa Fe uses with the same issue that I believe a recall should be in place. Currently I'm just driving locally and I just fill up every time I take the car out, but on the highway for long trips that is very dangerous. Very surprised there is not a recall with the number of complaints about this.

- Lockport, IL, USA

Jul 012016

Santa Fe

Fuel guage reads empty when at least half full.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 252015

Santa Fe

Our gas gauge shows empty, and the fuel light stays on, all the time. This occurs even after we fill the car up. This occurs whether the car is stationary or running. We have to track our fuel level by keeping track of the mileage. Also, if we turn the car off when fueling, it will not turn back on. We have to try over and over again until it turns on. We have found that if we leave the car running while fueling, it usually stays running; however, a lot of times, the car stops running and then, we struggle to get it started again. This is our 2nd Santa Fe (our first was a 2004, with which we never had a problem). If Hyundai doesn't do something to fix this problem, this will be our last Hyundai. This is dangerous on many levels, and as we all can see, there are currently about 350 other 2008 Santa Fe owners who have posted on this site with the same problem, this is an obvious safety defect, and needs to be recalled. Also, I noticed someone else mentioned they change low beams about once a month. We too, are having the same problem. We have changed more headlamps in this car than we have in all of our cars combined over 40 years.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 202016

Santa Fe

Fuel guage shows false reading, engine light comes on when tank is filled and shows empty reading. Guage will start rising after many miles (one hundred or more). Fuel guage will drop to empty. Car is stationary when filling, but giving false readings when moving anywhere. We never know when we are going to run out of gas. This is a safety issue and should be recalled!

- Moscow, PA, USA

Aug 312016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. While having the vehicle routinely inspected for emissions, the vehicle failed due to a faulty fuel gauge. The check engine indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing, but the details could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,129.

- Montague, MA, USA

Jul 262015

Santa Fe

In July/Aug of 2015 my gas gauge and miles-to-empty indicator started going crazy. I would fill the tank with gas but the gauge read empty. While driving, the miles-to-empty indicator would constantly, rapidly change from 200 to 40 to 68 to 113 to whatever so I couldn't tell how much gas I had left. I took the car in for an oil change at Hyundai on Aug 8, 2015 and asked them to also look at the gas gauge. He said that there was nothing they could do until the engine light came on. The engine light finally came on at the end of November 2015 so I took the car in 12/10/15, and they said they had to replace two fuel sensors in the gas tank. When the problem initially started, I had about 64000 miles on the car.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 152016

Santa Fe

Like so many others, my fuel gauge is completely non functional. I have run out of gas in the middle of heavy traffic and now just fill the car up weekly to avoid issues. This is clearly an engineering issue given the frequency with which it occurs in this vehicle.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Apr 072016

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel level sensors in this car have failed. Regardless of the amount of gasoline in the tank, the fuel gauge reads that there is no fuel, and the check engine light remains "on" at all times. This is a safety issue because it can lead to a situation where the driver runs out of fuel (since the fuel gauge is not accurate) and the car stalls in the middle of traffic. That has not yet happened to me, but it could. Based on a short internet search for others who have had a similar issue, and discussing the issue with local automotive repair shops, this is a common problem for this vehicle. There is no evidence on the NHTSA site that this common problem has led to a recall, but I believe that it should. Thank you for your time and consideration.

- Ponte Vedra, FL, USA

May 282016

Santa Fe

This pertains to repair cost of $850.56 for my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel gauge that was not reading the correct amount of fuel. I believe this issue pertains to manufacture's defect and Hyundai should initiate a recall. Additionally, my Hyundai only has about 58,360 miles to have a major repair cost of $850.56.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Mar 152015

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge has failed, leaving no indication of fuel remaining in vehicle. Could cause crash due to vehicle running out of fuel.

- Fishers, IN, USA