2.2

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Apr 162016

Santa Fe

My check engine will come on and the fuel gauge sensor will move erratically. I can go put gas in the car and it will still say empty. I do not know if I need gas or not. Very unsafe when travelling with kids. I keep pitting gas in because I'm afraid I'll run out. Had it checked by a mechanic and it showed the reason why the check engine light is on is because of the fuel gauge sensor. Real pain. This needs to be recalled and fixed before it causes serious bodily harm to someone. The vehicle can be stationary or in motion it doesn't matter it will still go haywire.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 152016

Santa Fe

At 140,000 miles, the fuel sensor fails to show the correct amount of fuel. The indicator moves from half to empty in an instant. After re-cranking and driving a bit, the fuel needle will then slowly return to showing under half a tank. The range indicator does not indicate the correct range due to faulty sensor. I have to watch the trip mileage to know the amount of fuel I have. All problems start at about a 1/2 tank. Check engine light is on. Calling dealer but I know the answer after reading the complaints. I don't really have the $$$ to fix.

- Milton, FL, USA

Mar 262016

Santa Fe

The fuel level sensor failed at around 55,000 miles, which resulted in the driver being unable to tell how much fuel was in the tank. Fuel transfer unit and fuel pump assembly had to be replaced.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Nov 102015

Santa Fe

Defective fuel sensor. Driving on the highway fuel gauge began fluctuating erratically. Check engine light came on. Had to stop due to unsure if I had a fuel leak or if something would happen to the engine. After checking there was no leak I continued home even though the check engine light was on and fuel gauge showed no gas. I have researched and found thousands of people on the internet with the same issue with this make and year of vehicle. In New York state my vehicle would not pass inspection with the check engine light on. Repairs cost me over $800. Vehicle only has 72,000 miles. I feel Hyundai should compensate the consumer for an obvious defect when they have to make a repair that is not related to wear and tear of the vehicle.

- East Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 282016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai sante fe. After the vehicle was taken in for inspection, the technician stated that the fuel gauge failed and the fuel gauge sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA

Feb 222016

Santa Fe

Gas gauge sensor not reading level of gas in the car. Online I read many others with the sante fe, especially 2007-2008 year with this problem. I only have 80, 000 miles and it is not reading the appropriate gas level and fluctuates. The gas engine light is on and a mechanic read the code that it is the gas gauge sensor. I have read accounts online of the car reading gas at zero and turning the car off. I am now terrified to drive my car and have filled the gas up every day. The engine light remains on. When the mechanic wiped out the code I filled up the tank and the next day drove over an hour and then the gas read just above half full and the engine light came back on. I can't believe this has not been issued a recall when it is very dangerous to have a car just shut off on the highway. Do people have to die before a recall is issued?

- Newton, MA, USA

Feb 212016

Santa Fe

When I depressed the accelerator the pedal went down to the floor on its own and no amount of braking could bring the car under control. At the time I was traveling at 55mph and the car shot to 70mph. Finally after pumping brakes several times the pedal popped up with an audible sound. Happened the next day as well same thing. I have read that the throttle position sensor is the culprit and the dealerships cite driver error, and floor mats, which is what I was told. I am attaching a letter sent to Hyundai and the NHTSA. Happend the following day as well.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

Jan 272016

Santa Fe

My engine light came stays on and then shuts off. My gas gauge keeps moving up and down. Once I fill my gas tank completely the gas will show filled and engine light will go off and then within an hour the engine light will come on and the gas gauge goes to empty and the fuel light comes on showing the car as empty. Then within 20 minutes the gas gauge will move back up and the gas gauge will shut off but the engine light stays on. This will happen constantly with the gas gauge going up and down.this occurs while the car is stationary and in motion on city street or expressway. My mechanic basically told me it's the gas gauge but he is still investigating.

- Alsip, IL, USA

Jan 302015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the fuel tank misread the amount of fuel in the tank on more than one occasion. In addition, the fuel tank was incapable of being filled completely and could only be filled up to five gallons. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Morehead City, NC, USA

Nov 012015

Santa Fe

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 78K miles. Fuel gage reading starting bouncing around. Showed half full on a freshly filled tank. Eventually check engine light came on. Error code P0464 (fuel level sensor 'a' electrical circuit was intermittent for a predetermined period of time.). fuel sensors required replacement. An inaccurate fuel reading is a safety concern, just like any other issue that can lead to unexpected vehicle shutdown. The numerous reports on the web concerning the failure of the fuel sensors in the 2008 Santa Fe suggests strongly that a recall is warranted.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Oct 012015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving 35 mph, the fuel gauge displayed an incorrect reading. The check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the two fuel sensors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Stokane Valley, WA, USA

Nov 102015

Santa Fe

My wife and I were driving through the city the other night. There was a lot of traffic and as we approached a green light at the intersection the car dies and comes to a stop in the middle of the intersection as the light was changing. Luckily we weren't rear ended or T boned. Come to find out we ran out of gas even though it read half a tank. Thanks Hyundai for trying to kill us.

- Newfield, NY, USA

Nov 232015

Santa Fe

The fuel sensor fails to show the correct amount of fuel. The indicator moves from full to half empty to full to 1/4. the range indicator does not indicate the correct range either. It will show 320 miles remaining and then immediately move to 100 miles and back to 300...etc.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Santa Fe

I also had the fuel sensor go out and had it fixed. And I had to have my alternator replaced twice. Once when it went out and again in 9 months due to recall for a fuel gasket cover default. So I paid the first time out of pocket $700 only to find out it was probably due to the default. Lynda

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 012015

Santa Fe

Check engine light came on. I then noticed when the low fuel light came on and I filed the tank it only took 12 gallons instead of the usual 15-16. I called the dealer and they immediately stated it was the fuel level sensor. Causing both issues. It must be a common issue. $500 quoted repair. Now when the light comes on and you fill it takes between 10 and 12 gallons. Not sure if that means there was 4-6 in the tank or something else is restricting the volume of fuel you can add. Check engine light comes on and goes off intermittently. Also the low fuel night may come on and the gauge shows nearly empty and then it might go off and show 1/4. is it empty or is it a quarter. Mileage on the car about 63000.

- Lomngmont, CO, USA

Jul 062015

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge stopped working and service engine light is on. Fuel gauge now reads empty even if tank is full. This is a safety issue as amount of gas in tank is unknown and should be recalled by Hyundai.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Sep 122015

Santa Fe

The issue began about a month ago during a long interstate trip. If the fuel gauge reached the 1/4 tank mark, it would plummet to empty. As the car ran, the gauge would rise up and fall again repeatedly. Sometimes when the car was started (even with a full tank), the gauge would never rise above "E." thankfully, the car never stalled and always started. I just had it serviced today. Both sending units were replaced and was told by a Hyundai dealer that they keep these parts (fuel sensors) in stock due to the high frequency of calls they receive from other owners with this same problem. Surprised there has been no recall issued yet!

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Santa Fe

When the gas tank is less than half full, the fuel gauge displays tank as nearly empty and the amber low fuel light appears. The check engine warning light also comes on. The fuel gauge swings back up to nearly half full, drops down to 1/4 full, then drops down to almost empty, then swing back to half full. After filling the tank the fuel gauge is once again accurate until the tank goes below 1/2 full.. this is a fuel sensor issue with the two sensors in the gas tank. I'm going to have to reset the odometer every time I fill up and make sure I fill up the tank every 300-325 miles. I've done my research and this is a known, widespread issue with the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles. I saw many complaints about this issue filed on the nhsta so this Agency is well aware of the issue but has chosen not to recall the Santa Fe for the 2008 model year. I don't understand this: This is a safety issue as well as a gross design and manufacturing problem with this vehicle.

- Villa Park, CA, USA

Jul 202015

Santa Fe

When the gas tank is less than half full, the fuel gauge displays tank as nearly empty and the amber low fuel light appears. The check engine warning light also comes on. The fuel gauge swings back up to nearly half full, drops down to 1/4 full, then drops down to almost empty, then swing back to half full. About 3 months after this problem started, the fuel gauge remains near empty with the amber low fuel light lit. When I fill up the gas tank, the fuel gauge is once again accurate until the tank goes below 1/2 full. However, the check engine light remains on at all times and can only be cleared by a mechanic. I've had my mechanic clear it twice. This is a fuel sensor issue with the two senders in the gas tank. I was going to have this repaired by having the fuel pump assembly replaced but found out it would cost $1000. I can't afford that so I'm stuck. I'm going to have to reset the odometer every time I fill up and make sure I fill up the tank every 300 miles. I've done my research and this is a known, widespread issue with the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles. I saw many complaints about this issue filed on the nhsta so this Agency is well aware of the issue but has chosen not to recall the Santa Fe for the 2008 model year. I don't understand this: This is a safety issue as well as a gross design and manufacturing problem with this vehicle. We bought this vehicle used with no knowledge of this. The fuel gauge started behaving erratically a little over a year after we bought it in May 2014, which would be around late July 2015. He first sign of a problem occurred after I filled the gas tank in late July 2015. That was the first time the check engine light came on even though the gas tank was full. I had my mechanic clear it. This same thing happened about 6 weeks later. After that the erratic fuel gauge behavior I described started occurring.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Dec 192014

Santa Fe

Late last year (2014) my gas gauge suddenly showed empty (with empty light coming on) on my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe gls 2..3 L engine. In addition, the 'check engine' came on and stayed on. I took vehicle to my mechanic, who told me the fail codes related to the a and B sensors in the fuel tank not functioning properly. The cost of the repair was estimated at around $700. My vehicle is no longer under any warranty. I asked if this defect is causing environmental problems or other problems that could cause engine damage, etc. And he said no. I said well, I could live with this by zeroing out my trip indicator and keeping track that way, knowing my approximate mpg. (I live in Wisconsin on the lakeshore and we are under mandatory emissions testing due to the polluted air coming up from Illinois and being trapped by lake Michigan.) he told that next year (current 2015), my vehicle would not pass emissions because the 'check engine' light is on! now as registration is due in November, I have to get it fixed. First off, I believe this is a safety issue because if I forgot to zero out my trip odometer and ran out of gas in tin-buk-two, I or my wife (who doesn't have a concealed carry permit) could be stranded in a dangerous area. Secondly, I get screwed on not being able to register my vehicle due to a non-emissions related issue.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA