2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Sep 112015

Santa Fe

I filled up my tank to full one evening. After which I came home and parked for the night. The next morning I was leaving and noticed my low gas light came on and it was on empty. This had happened presviously to me but correctly itself so I continued to drive. While driving my check engine light also came on. Eventually the tank read 1/2 full and the low gas light turned off. However the check engine light is still on. This is not ok. I take great care of my vehicle and should feel safe driving in it with my children. I'm very disappointed with Hyundai.

- Fort Benning, GA, USA

Jul 242015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While I was driving along at approximately 25 mph in my Hyundai santafe the steering became very difficult and there was no throttle response. I stopped the vehicle completely in the middle of the boulevard street and put the vehicle in park and restarted the engine. I was very frightened during the incident that someone was going to run into the back of my car and that the vehicle would stop again before I got home. I refused to drive the vehicle again and followed my husband in another vehicle as he drove the faulty vehicle to the dealer the following day. The tech rep we spoke with at the dealer casually said the throttle positioning sensor was bad and if we wanted it repaired it would cost about $400. I couldn't believe they would let me leave the dealership with this malfunctioning part. The symptoms are the same as the General Motors ignition switch problem. I looked it up online and this seems to be a common problem with the Hyundai santafe. Where is the outrage" where are the recalls? is it going to take many deaths and 10 years to correct this problem like GM ignition switch problem? does somebody have to die before this is taken seriously" Hyundai management refuses to discuss this problem. I sincerely hope I can appeal to your sensibility and force this Korean company to address this dangerous problem.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Apr 212015

Santa Fe

My Santa Fe AWD 2008 was bought in June 2009 and now has ~99K mileage. I had four or five similar incidents with my Santa Fe starting on 4/21/15, which led to significant power loss and speed loss of the car on the road. The first time, I was driving on a local road at ~25 mph. Suddenly I felt the car lost the power and began to slow down. I stepped down on the accelerator, but the car could not accelerate (the speed dropped to ~10 mph). I saw 3 system indicator/warning lights on: The ESC off(electronic stability control) and check engine indicators had a steady light and the AWD system warning light was flashing. I pulled off to the side of the road, shut off the car, waited ~1 minute, and then restarted the car. The check engine light stayed on, but the other lights went out. Then I drove the car to continue to my job. The 2nd incident occurred on my way home. The same scenario except that I was driving at ~40 mph at the time. The sudden power loss caused the car speed quickly dropped to ~10 mph and probably led the car behind mine to make a sudden stop to avoid a crash. Again, I pulled off to the side of the road, shut off the engine, and then restarted the car with the check engine light staying on. The other times I was on the cresent city connection (bridge) in the center lane. I had to work my way over two lanes to turn the vehicle off to restart to continue on my way to or from work. After the 5th time, I did some research online and found an article stating that this problem was on the tsb (technical safety bulletin). Maybe someone somewhere should be aware of more than one vehicle having this problem.......

- Gretna , LA, USA

Jul 102015

Santa Fe

While driving on the highway the fuel propulsion system light came on and the fuel gauge read empty. However, based on mileage and the last time I had filled the gas tank, I knew I should have close to half a tank. The next morning the gauge read close to half a tank. While driving the fuel gauge marked once again empty. As a driver, I had no idea how much gasoline the car really had. I took the car to the dealership and they retrieved the code P0469: Fuel level sensors a and B failure. Hyundai dealership/warranty did not cover the cost of the replacement, even though the car only had 40, 228 miles. I had to pay $600 for the replcement of the two fuel sensors.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Santa Fe

Safety issue: Failure of the fuel sending unit permanently turns on the "check engine light" which denies the use of the "check engine light" for other serious conditions. Many consumers have previously reported the failure of the fuel sending unit. These units cost between $800 to $1200 to fix so most drivers do not fix it and instead use the odometer reading to determine when fuel is needed. Unfortunately, driving with the "check engine light" on at all times prevents the driver from seeing the "check engine light" illuminate when a serious condition exists. Therefore, this is a safety issue. Considering the number of consumer reports already sent to NHTSA regarding failed fuel sending units, Hyundai should immediately issue a safety recall to fix these units.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jun 302015

Santa Fe

Filled tank and read empty with low fuel light on. The next day while driving the more I drove the more the fuel needle went up until it eventually read full and the low fuel light went out. Now usually when it gets down to about 1/2 tank needle will drop to empty, fuel light will come on, range indicator will read----and now the check engine light comes and goes.

- Three Rivers, MI, USA

Jun 252015

Santa Fe

Erratic fuel guage registration. Then empty with low fuel light on. Tank had just been filled.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Jun 192015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

After fueling up, to a full tank, the fuel gauge still registered empty and fuel light and check engine light came on. Updated 09/01/2015 updated 10/14/2015

- Williamsbug, VA, USA

Jan 022015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. After refueling the vehicle, the fuel gauge failed to register the correct level of fuel. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Apr 162015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

When I started the engine, the fuel gauge showed the gas tank empty, the check engine light was on, and the empty gas tank light was on, even though the gas tank was filled yesterday. Then fuel level gauge is fluctuating from full to empty tank when driving.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Jan 022015

Santa Fe

My 2008 Santa Fe is experiencing an issue where the fuel gauge shows as empty with the light indicator on and corresponding miles to empty indicator reading to zero. This conveniently happened after my warranty expired. I see many similar complaints online. Hyundai is not offering to replace/repair. This is a $695 fix as the seats need to be removed to reach the sensors.

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Mar 142015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

It happened in the morning when I started the engine, the fuel gauge showed the gas tank empty, the check engine light was on, and the empty gas tank light was on, even though the gas tank was filled 2 days before and the range on odo keeps flashing without number shown. After driving about 2, 3 miles, the fuel light was off, and the fuel gauge had move up just a little above empty line. Monday morning 3/16/15 when I started the engine to go to work, the check engine light was off but the range on odo still flashing. I was terrified when I see those light on and off, specially when driving for long distance not knowing when the gas is empty.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 022015

Santa Fe

NHTSA: Oct, 24, 2012 component:equipment adaptive. 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. Action no: 947168 service bulletin number:1041335 component: Fuel/propulsion system, safety issue due to the wrong gas reading, vehicle may stop suddenly if no fuel, gage reading wrong 1. Hyundai finds service bulletin but no recall or order to replace.admit's to that year has problems but not willing to help in anyway to repair.

- Plano, TX, USA

Feb 272015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge fluctuates a lot. When I fill tank it says empty. Then it changes while I drive to 3/4. it moves all over. Never a correct reading.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Feb 162015

Santa Fe

Fuel level gauge is registering as empty when completely full and then fluctuating from full to empty tank when driving. Check engine light code is registering as faulty fuel level sensor. Unable to determine how much fuel is actually in the tank and feel that this is a safety issue if unsure how much gas I have. This appears to be a very common problem with this make/model as there are 95 other complaints just on this site and many many more when looking at other comments posted online.

- Leominster, MA, USA

Feb 182015

Santa Fe

After fueling my gas tank completely 16 gallons of gas I began traveling on freeway only to have my gas gauge plummet to empty and digital range went blank. Since then I am unable to tell how much fuel I have. The reading fluctuate rapidly. I am terrified that I will run out of fuel on a busy expressway or during severe cold weather due to risk of harm and or injury. I was told by Hyundai dealership that sensors are faulity.

- Uniontown , PA, USA

May 052014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge not working properly, it is moving erratically. The gas tank is full while the gauge is showing empty, the check engine light is on. I am just worried that I might be strained somewhere when the tank is really empty. I can't trust the gauge now. This should be recalled already since there are so many complaints about it. I feel like I should not pay for the repair as it is a manufacturer defect.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 052015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

2/05/15, turned right on manhattan blvd and normal accelerating, eased up on pedal but engine still full throttle. Applied brakes but still kept accelerating. Approaching a traffic light, shifted to neutral, turned into a business parking lot, and turned off the engine. Started the engine after 3 or 4 seconds still full throttle, turned engine off. Started the engine after 4 or 5 minutes and everything was normal. On 2/05/15 contact Hyundai on 1-800-633-5151 they filled out a report, case no. 7640349, and also recommended I have the vehicle towed to dealer. 2/05/15 vehicle towed to dealer. Hyundai dealer could not find a problem. Hyundai dealer was requested to run more extensive tests by corporate office. 2/10/15 extensive tests completed and found no problem. I did not contact Hyundai, 1-800-633-5151, on 1st occurrence on 6/25/14, just took it to same Hyundai dealer and filed a compliant via E-mail with NHTSA. Hyundai did state on 2/05/15 they had no record or recall for this problem! 2/11/15 car ready for pickup. Dealer stated problem duplicated several times with installed aftermarket floor mat jamming throttle and car was safe to drive. See below:. I removed the after market floor mat. I am driving with a 80% believe 20% do not believe confidence level that the floor mat caused my two problems.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Dec 242014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel level readings started fluctuating giving me inaccurate amount of fuel in the tank, until one day I was completely empty and did not know. Since this incident.the gauge only moves up when I fill the tank, but then it starts fluctuating until settling on empty.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Jan 132015

Santa Fe

I was driving to a stop light on a down hill slope with my whole family in the car when all of the sudden my car turned off. All at once my check engine light came on, my battery light came on, and I couldn't get the car to re-start. I turned on the emergency flashers and at the middle of a busy intersection I tried to restart my car but nothing happened. A few moments later I tried again and it started but it wouldn't let me accelerate almost at all (through an intersection!). there was also a clicking sound coming from the front of the car. I pulled into a parking lot, afraid if I was going to be able to drive anywhere, turned the car off, waited about five minutes, restarted it, successfully. I let it idle for a while unsure what else to do. I proceeded to drive home with no other incident. The clicking was off and on the entire drive home but has since gotten quieter.

- San Antonio, TX, USA