2.2

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Jul 032015

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge started intermittently going up and down, then stopped working completely. While driving in the left lane on I95, at 70 mph, the vehicle stalled running out of gas almost causing a crash, due to the loss of all power.

- Barrington, NH, USA

Oct 012015

Santa Fe

I also have the fuel leveling sensor issue on my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe limited. The check engine light came on and the code indicated a failing fuel leveling sensor. This is accompanied by fluctuation in the fuel gauge and makes it difficult to determine how much fuel is left and when the code is cleared will come back on randomly. It appears to happen to a lot of these vehicles between 60,000 and 120,000 miles. I think this should be a recall or class action suite as it is an estimated $800 repair and will often fail either before the warranty expires or within 20,000 miles outside the 100,000 mile warranty.

- Apex, NC, USA

Sep 102015

Santa Fe

The gauge on the fuel tank has stopped operating and doesn't accurately show how much fuel is in the tank. After filling up the gas tank the empty light comes on intermittently. This happens randomly when the car is in motion. The fuel gauge moves up and down and the check engine light has come on and stays on.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 012015

Santa Fe

Check engine light is activated and fuel gauge reads empty at all times. Constantly adding fuel as there is no way to accurately estimate amount of fuel in tank. This is a safety issue as running out of fuel is a constant issue for anyone driving these vehicles. This is a known problem with this model year Hyundai Santa Fe as documented. Dealer estimate for cost to repair is $900 as both fuel sensors would be replaced at one time.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Dec 302014

Santa Fe

We stopped to get gas on a road trip and after filling up the fuel gauge showed 1/2 full then empty and the fuel gauge would spin down and up instead of slowing decreasing with driving. How does a fuel gauge stop working on a 6 year old vehicle? there have been many complaints that this should be looked into for a possible recall. Dealer says it is $500 to replace sensor and it is dangerous to drive and not know when you could run out of gas. Very disappointing.

- Evergreen, CO, USA

Sep 262014

Santa Fe

The gas gauge is very sporadic. Sometimes it reads correctly other times it does not. It can say empty when full or 1/4 of a tank when full. I researched this on the Hyundai internet forums and it seems to be a very common fault with this vehicle. With so many occurrences you would think this would be covered under a recall.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 012015

Santa Fe

Just as the other noted complaints, my check engine light has been coming on and off and my fuel gauge indicator has been extremely temperamental. Rarely it'll show the correct level - usually once I fill my tank, my fuel gage shoes I am below empty and flashes that I have no miles left to drive until my tank is empty. I have resorted to tracking my mileage with the trip function because as others have discovered - to repair it costs an arm and a leg due to expensive labor from where the sensor needs to be accessed to replace it, under the driver seat.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 062015

Santa Fe

We have the same issue on our 2008 Santa Fe as described by many other drivers here. Check engine light goes on and off and the fuel gauge up and down. I'm surprised there hasn't been a recall for this issue yet, since there are so many comments/complaints here.

- Lindenhurst, IL, USA

Sep 072015

Santa Fe

Check engine light came on and the fuel gauge began jumping all over the place. It would say I had 88 miles to empty and then jump back up to 130. The next day the check engine light was off and then the next it would be back on again. Had a mechanic check the codes and it was a bad fuel sensor. I took my car to the dealership and they replaced both fuel sensors for $416. If I hadn't gotten it fixed, I wouldn't have been able to pass emissions testing which is mandatory in my county. Also, I wouldn't have any clue how much gas I had and could've been stranded.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Jan 052015

Santa Fe

When you fill up the gas tank, it register empty and the check engine light comes on. Sometimes the gauge will read correctly and then it goes back to empty. I have to always fill the car up because I don't know how much gas is in the car. This is annoying. It very expensive to fix. This is the third Hyundai I've bought (two Santa Fe's and one sonata) and this car is the worst model I bought.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Sep 112015

Santa Fe

I filled up my tank to full one evening. After which I came home and parked for the night. The next morning I was leaving and noticed my low gas light came on and it was on empty. This had happened presviously to me but correctly itself so I continued to drive. While driving my check engine light also came on. Eventually the tank read 1/2 full and the low gas light turned off. However the check engine light is still on. This is not ok. I take great care of my vehicle and should feel safe driving in it with my children. I'm very disappointed with Hyundai.

- Fort Benning, GA, USA

Jul 242015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While I was driving along at approximately 25 mph in my Hyundai santafe the steering became very difficult and there was no throttle response. I stopped the vehicle completely in the middle of the boulevard street and put the vehicle in park and restarted the engine. I was very frightened during the incident that someone was going to run into the back of my car and that the vehicle would stop again before I got home. I refused to drive the vehicle again and followed my husband in another vehicle as he drove the faulty vehicle to the dealer the following day. The tech rep we spoke with at the dealer casually said the throttle positioning sensor was bad and if we wanted it repaired it would cost about $400. I couldn't believe they would let me leave the dealership with this malfunctioning part. The symptoms are the same as the General Motors ignition switch problem. I looked it up online and this seems to be a common problem with the Hyundai santafe. Where is the outrage" where are the recalls? is it going to take many deaths and 10 years to correct this problem like GM ignition switch problem? does somebody have to die before this is taken seriously" Hyundai management refuses to discuss this problem. I sincerely hope I can appeal to your sensibility and force this Korean company to address this dangerous problem.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Apr 212015

Santa Fe

My Santa Fe AWD 2008 was bought in June 2009 and now has ~99K mileage. I had four or five similar incidents with my Santa Fe starting on 4/21/15, which led to significant power loss and speed loss of the car on the road. The first time, I was driving on a local road at ~25 mph. Suddenly I felt the car lost the power and began to slow down. I stepped down on the accelerator, but the car could not accelerate (the speed dropped to ~10 mph). I saw 3 system indicator/warning lights on: The ESC off(electronic stability control) and check engine indicators had a steady light and the AWD system warning light was flashing. I pulled off to the side of the road, shut off the car, waited ~1 minute, and then restarted the car. The check engine light stayed on, but the other lights went out. Then I drove the car to continue to my job. The 2nd incident occurred on my way home. The same scenario except that I was driving at ~40 mph at the time. The sudden power loss caused the car speed quickly dropped to ~10 mph and probably led the car behind mine to make a sudden stop to avoid a crash. Again, I pulled off to the side of the road, shut off the engine, and then restarted the car with the check engine light staying on. The other times I was on the cresent city connection (bridge) in the center lane. I had to work my way over two lanes to turn the vehicle off to restart to continue on my way to or from work. After the 5th time, I did some research online and found an article stating that this problem was on the tsb (technical safety bulletin). Maybe someone somewhere should be aware of more than one vehicle having this problem.......

- Gretna , LA, USA

Jul 102015

Santa Fe

While driving on the highway the fuel propulsion system light came on and the fuel gauge read empty. However, based on mileage and the last time I had filled the gas tank, I knew I should have close to half a tank. The next morning the gauge read close to half a tank. While driving the fuel gauge marked once again empty. As a driver, I had no idea how much gasoline the car really had. I took the car to the dealership and they retrieved the code P0469: Fuel level sensors a and B failure. Hyundai dealership/warranty did not cover the cost of the replacement, even though the car only had 40, 228 miles. I had to pay $600 for the replcement of the two fuel sensors.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Santa Fe

Safety issue: Failure of the fuel sending unit permanently turns on the "check engine light" which denies the use of the "check engine light" for other serious conditions. Many consumers have previously reported the failure of the fuel sending unit. These units cost between $800 to $1200 to fix so most drivers do not fix it and instead use the odometer reading to determine when fuel is needed. Unfortunately, driving with the "check engine light" on at all times prevents the driver from seeing the "check engine light" illuminate when a serious condition exists. Therefore, this is a safety issue. Considering the number of consumer reports already sent to NHTSA regarding failed fuel sending units, Hyundai should immediately issue a safety recall to fix these units.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jun 302015

Santa Fe

Filled tank and read empty with low fuel light on. The next day while driving the more I drove the more the fuel needle went up until it eventually read full and the low fuel light went out. Now usually when it gets down to about 1/2 tank needle will drop to empty, fuel light will come on, range indicator will read----and now the check engine light comes and goes.

- Three Rivers, MI, USA

Jun 252015

Santa Fe

Erratic fuel guage registration. Then empty with low fuel light on. Tank had just been filled.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Jun 192015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

After fueling up, to a full tank, the fuel gauge still registered empty and fuel light and check engine light came on. Updated 09/01/2015 updated 10/14/2015

- Williamsbug, VA, USA

Jan 022015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. After refueling the vehicle, the fuel gauge failed to register the correct level of fuel. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Apr 162015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

When I started the engine, the fuel gauge showed the gas tank empty, the check engine light was on, and the empty gas tank light was on, even though the gas tank was filled yesterday. Then fuel level gauge is fluctuating from full to empty tank when driving.

- Arlington, MA, USA