2.2

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Jan 022015

Santa Fe

My 2008 Santa Fe is experiencing an issue where the fuel gauge shows as empty with the light indicator on and corresponding miles to empty indicator reading to zero. This conveniently happened after my warranty expired. I see many similar complaints online. Hyundai is not offering to replace/repair. This is a $695 fix as the seats need to be removed to reach the sensors.

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Mar 142015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

It happened in the morning when I started the engine, the fuel gauge showed the gas tank empty, the check engine light was on, and the empty gas tank light was on, even though the gas tank was filled 2 days before and the range on odo keeps flashing without number shown. After driving about 2, 3 miles, the fuel light was off, and the fuel gauge had move up just a little above empty line. Monday morning 3/16/15 when I started the engine to go to work, the check engine light was off but the range on odo still flashing. I was terrified when I see those light on and off, specially when driving for long distance not knowing when the gas is empty.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 022015

Santa Fe

NHTSA: Oct, 24, 2012 component:equipment adaptive. 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. Action no: 947168 service bulletin number:1041335 component: Fuel/propulsion system, safety issue due to the wrong gas reading, vehicle may stop suddenly if no fuel, gage reading wrong 1. Hyundai finds service bulletin but no recall or order to replace.admit's to that year has problems but not willing to help in anyway to repair.

- Plano, TX, USA

Feb 272015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge fluctuates a lot. When I fill tank it says empty. Then it changes while I drive to 3/4. it moves all over. Never a correct reading.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Feb 162015

Santa Fe

Fuel level gauge is registering as empty when completely full and then fluctuating from full to empty tank when driving. Check engine light code is registering as faulty fuel level sensor. Unable to determine how much fuel is actually in the tank and feel that this is a safety issue if unsure how much gas I have. This appears to be a very common problem with this make/model as there are 95 other complaints just on this site and many many more when looking at other comments posted online.

- Leominster, MA, USA

Feb 182015

Santa Fe

After fueling my gas tank completely 16 gallons of gas I began traveling on freeway only to have my gas gauge plummet to empty and digital range went blank. Since then I am unable to tell how much fuel I have. The reading fluctuate rapidly. I am terrified that I will run out of fuel on a busy expressway or during severe cold weather due to risk of harm and or injury. I was told by Hyundai dealership that sensors are faulity.

- Uniontown , PA, USA

May 052014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge not working properly, it is moving erratically. The gas tank is full while the gauge is showing empty, the check engine light is on. I am just worried that I might be strained somewhere when the tank is really empty. I can't trust the gauge now. This should be recalled already since there are so many complaints about it. I feel like I should not pay for the repair as it is a manufacturer defect.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 052015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

2/05/15, turned right on manhattan blvd and normal accelerating, eased up on pedal but engine still full throttle. Applied brakes but still kept accelerating. Approaching a traffic light, shifted to neutral, turned into a business parking lot, and turned off the engine. Started the engine after 3 or 4 seconds still full throttle, turned engine off. Started the engine after 4 or 5 minutes and everything was normal. On 2/05/15 contact Hyundai on 1-800-633-5151 they filled out a report, case no. 7640349, and also recommended I have the vehicle towed to dealer. 2/05/15 vehicle towed to dealer. Hyundai dealer could not find a problem. Hyundai dealer was requested to run more extensive tests by corporate office. 2/10/15 extensive tests completed and found no problem. I did not contact Hyundai, 1-800-633-5151, on 1st occurrence on 6/25/14, just took it to same Hyundai dealer and filed a compliant via E-mail with NHTSA. Hyundai did state on 2/05/15 they had no record or recall for this problem! 2/11/15 car ready for pickup. Dealer stated problem duplicated several times with installed aftermarket floor mat jamming throttle and car was safe to drive. See below:. I removed the after market floor mat. I am driving with a 80% believe 20% do not believe confidence level that the floor mat caused my two problems.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Dec 242014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel level readings started fluctuating giving me inaccurate amount of fuel in the tank, until one day I was completely empty and did not know. Since this incident.the gauge only moves up when I fill the tank, but then it starts fluctuating until settling on empty.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Jan 132015

Santa Fe

I was driving to a stop light on a down hill slope with my whole family in the car when all of the sudden my car turned off. All at once my check engine light came on, my battery light came on, and I couldn't get the car to re-start. I turned on the emergency flashers and at the middle of a busy intersection I tried to restart my car but nothing happened. A few moments later I tried again and it started but it wouldn't let me accelerate almost at all (through an intersection!). there was also a clicking sound coming from the front of the car. I pulled into a parking lot, afraid if I was going to be able to drive anywhere, turned the car off, waited about five minutes, restarted it, successfully. I let it idle for a while unsure what else to do. I proceeded to drive home with no other incident. The clicking was off and on the entire drive home but has since gotten quieter.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 012014

Santa Fe

Fuel sensor does not function properly. Reads empty when tank has just been filled, and will then fluctuate from empty to full from there. Driver has to rely on mileage for fuel level accuracy. Numerous complaints have been filed for the same make and model car, with the same problem. All have taken their vehicles to dealerships where they are charged $800 to replace fuel sensors, often with fuel sensors made by Hyundai, which malfunction again. Hyundai does not cover repairs under warranty, is well aware of the problem, and refuses to issue a recall, sitting "non-safety issue". this is a serious safety issue as a driver can run out of gas while on the road, and face potential injury or death from being hit by another vehicle...especially if on the freeway or at night. Drivers are being left stranded on the roads because they have run out of gas from the sensors malfunctioning. The check engine light illuminates because of this issue, and remains lit until the sensors are replaced. This can be harmful because drivers would not know of any additional engine problems since the light remains lit due to the fuel sensor malfunction. See www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/santa_fe/2008/fuel_system/fuel_propulsion_system.shtml for a handful of complaints regarding this issue. I ask that Hyundai be held responsible for knowingly putting drivers at risk with this issue and for charging customers a ludicrous amount to "repair" the sensors with the same, faulty ones they manufacture. I will never purchase a Hyundai again!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 012015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge show empty and there was 3/4 of a tank. The gauge reading go from full to empty constantly, we worry we will be traveling and the car will stop because the gauge reads there is gas and it will be empty.

- Adams, MA, USA

Sep 242014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel sensors failed causing fuel level to read empty even with a full tank. Also triggered check engine light. Hyundai is well aware of the problem but refuses to assist.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jan 132015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Car stalled on highway out of gas. Gas gauge showed half tank. Dangerous situation, stuck in middle lane of busy highway, traffic passing on both sides about 65 miles per hour.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Dec 112013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

As I came to a stop, I noticed that my fuel gauge was fluttering up and down. Then my fuel light came on and I knew that I had just filled the tank the day before, so I had plenty of gas. Since then it has been very erratic, but mostly showing that I'm on empty. The only way to keep track is on my trip meter but that can be a little worrisome--I'm always worried that I am miscalculation. My check engine light is always on now too.

- Inverness, IL, USA

Jan 092015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge is freaking out. The gauge is fluctuating erratically and the fuel range is impacted as well. A big concern when you have a wife a children that are traveling in the car and you don't know your fuel situation. Please recall this item immediately.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel gauge no longer works. The fuel gauge always reads empty no matter how much gas there is in the fuel tank. Also, periodically the fuel tank will not fill to capacity. The tank takes anywhere between 16-19 gallons of gas and periodically the pump will shut off as if the tank is full when there is only 10 gallons (more or less) of gas. This is a big problem now that the fuel gauge no longer works. Of course the manufacturers warranty has expired.

- West Suffield, CT, USA

Jan 032012

Santa Fe

The gas gauge has not been working for over 2 years and the check engine light is on most of the time but will go off intermittently. We track gas usage with the trip odometer (20 miles per gallon X 17 gal tank=340 miles driven) but fill up around 275 miles driven. But this is not a reliable way to track fuel and it was bound to happen-we ran out of gas-unfortunately on the tollway. Now we want to fix it. We have had estimates ranging from $400-$800 to fix the problem but think that this is a defective part that Hyundai has installed in their vehicles. There should be a recall for safety reasons. The car is only 6 years old. We take care of our cars-regular maintenance and parked in a garage. (also had to replace the throttle sensor after 2 years and both HVAC mode door actuators after 4 years. The window washer fluid recently stopped working).

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Dec 102014

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge in my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe as started bobbing up and down. When I start the car it shows that I have no fuel then raises up to about half a tank and then goes back down to about a quarter before slowly raising up again. This car has caused me more trouble than any other car I have owned.

- Jim Thorpe, PA, USA

Dec 092014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge (fuel level sensor) is not working properly after warranty expires. Whether empty or full, fuel gauge is constantly fluctuated up and down.

- Irvine, CA, USA