2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Sep 012014

Santa Fe

Fuel sensor does not function properly. Reads empty when tank has just been filled, and will then fluctuate from empty to full from there. Driver has to rely on mileage for fuel level accuracy. Numerous complaints have been filed for the same make and model car, with the same problem. All have taken their vehicles to dealerships where they are charged $800 to replace fuel sensors, often with fuel sensors made by Hyundai, which malfunction again. Hyundai does not cover repairs under warranty, is well aware of the problem, and refuses to issue a recall, sitting "non-safety issue". this is a serious safety issue as a driver can run out of gas while on the road, and face potential injury or death from being hit by another vehicle...especially if on the freeway or at night. Drivers are being left stranded on the roads because they have run out of gas from the sensors malfunctioning. The check engine light illuminates because of this issue, and remains lit until the sensors are replaced. This can be harmful because drivers would not know of any additional engine problems since the light remains lit due to the fuel sensor malfunction. See for a handful of complaints regarding this issue. I ask that Hyundai be held responsible for knowingly putting drivers at risk with this issue and for charging customers a ludicrous amount to "repair" the sensors with the same, faulty ones they manufacture. I will never purchase a Hyundai again!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 012015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge show empty and there was 3/4 of a tank. The gauge reading go from full to empty constantly, we worry we will be traveling and the car will stop because the gauge reads there is gas and it will be empty.

- Adams, MA, USA

Sep 242014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel sensors failed causing fuel level to read empty even with a full tank. Also triggered check engine light. Hyundai is well aware of the problem but refuses to assist.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jan 132015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Car stalled on highway out of gas. Gas gauge showed half tank. Dangerous situation, stuck in middle lane of busy highway, traffic passing on both sides about 65 miles per hour.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Dec 112013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

As I came to a stop, I noticed that my fuel gauge was fluttering up and down. Then my fuel light came on and I knew that I had just filled the tank the day before, so I had plenty of gas. Since then it has been very erratic, but mostly showing that I'm on empty. The only way to keep track is on my trip meter but that can be a little worrisome--I'm always worried that I am miscalculation. My check engine light is always on now too.

- Inverness, IL, USA

Jan 092015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge is freaking out. The gauge is fluctuating erratically and the fuel range is impacted as well. A big concern when you have a wife a children that are traveling in the car and you don't know your fuel situation. Please recall this item immediately.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel gauge no longer works. The fuel gauge always reads empty no matter how much gas there is in the fuel tank. Also, periodically the fuel tank will not fill to capacity. The tank takes anywhere between 16-19 gallons of gas and periodically the pump will shut off as if the tank is full when there is only 10 gallons (more or less) of gas. This is a big problem now that the fuel gauge no longer works. Of course the manufacturers warranty has expired.

- West Suffield, CT, USA

Jan 032012

Santa Fe

The gas gauge has not been working for over 2 years and the check engine light is on most of the time but will go off intermittently. We track gas usage with the trip odometer (20 miles per gallon X 17 gal tank=340 miles driven) but fill up around 275 miles driven. But this is not a reliable way to track fuel and it was bound to happen-we ran out of gas-unfortunately on the tollway. Now we want to fix it. We have had estimates ranging from $400-$800 to fix the problem but think that this is a defective part that Hyundai has installed in their vehicles. There should be a recall for safety reasons. The car is only 6 years old. We take care of our cars-regular maintenance and parked in a garage. (also had to replace the throttle sensor after 2 years and both HVAC mode door actuators after 4 years. The window washer fluid recently stopped working).

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Dec 102014

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge in my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe as started bobbing up and down. When I start the car it shows that I have no fuel then raises up to about half a tank and then goes back down to about a quarter before slowly raising up again. This car has caused me more trouble than any other car I have owned.

- Jim Thorpe, PA, USA

Dec 092014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge (fuel level sensor) is not working properly after warranty expires. Whether empty or full, fuel gauge is constantly fluctuated up and down.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Oct 152014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fill up the gas tank and all is well until the tank is about half full then the gauge bounces around and the low fuel light comes on.

- Laureldale, PA, USA

Sep 012014

Santa Fe

Filled tank, however, it did not register and tank showed empty. Eventually it went back up and seemed fine; about two weeks ago it did the same thing, showed empty after fully filling the tank. Just this week hit 50K miles, way too early for things to go wrong. Surprised at the # of other consumers affected by this disturbing malfunction. It appears it just a matter of time before this happens again. Concerned with safety as well as emission issues. Highly disappointed Hyundai has done nothing about this problem!!! in addition to the above we have had to replace a motor in the locking mechanism and the back seat (both)pockets have broken/come unglued, again, at just now 50K miles. Not impressed.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 062014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge does not read accurately. It doesn't matter if the gas tank is full, the gauge will show anywhere between empty and full at intermittent times. While the vehicle functions fine, the fuel gauge defect causes the check engine to turn on and therefore requires a $1000 repair to pass pa state inspections.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 012014

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge no longer reads properly. The check engine light is on and the code is PO464 which indicates a problem with the fuel sensor. There are so many owners with the same problem why is there not a recall on this??

- Marble Falls, TX, USA

Nov 032014

Santa Fe

Gas gauge started reading empty with indicator light going on. I fueled up the day before, so I knew this wasn't possible. The gas gauge read properly after turning off the car and starting back up. I have watched the gas gauge fluctuate while driving. As of Saturday, the check engine light has been coming on. Check engine light turns off when gas gauge states empty with indicator light illuminated. I had a software update performed in early October.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Nov 132014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The gas gauge is not working properly and it seems to be due to the fuel sensor. It constantly fluctuates up and down. It causes the check engine light to be on consistently. This seems to be something that a lot of Hyundai customers are dealing with per websites that I have read.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Oct 292014

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge no longer reads properly. The check engine light is on and the code is PO464 which indicates a problem with the fuel sensor. Estimated cost to repair is over $800 from the Hyundai service department. Considering the number of failures of the fuel indicating system on Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles, why has there been no recall?

- Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 072014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The car accelerated while brake pedal was being depressed and would not stop accelerating. Car had to be thrown into neutral and key turned off. All four brakes were burnt up. Thankfully no one was injured nor was there a crash. The repair shop could not find any issue on their diagnostic machine other than the RPM's rising even though brake was being applied. So they know it happened but just don't know why. Called Hyundai to document this and their only response was there was no recall and I should take it to a Hyundai dealer for diagnostic study. Sure - spend more money with Hyundai for them to tell me nothing. This problem needs to be addressed prior to the loss of 30+ lives.

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Jun 012014

Santa Fe

The gas gauge on our Santa Fe stopped working right after filling the tank to full. After driving for about 50 miles or so, the gauge will slowly rise to about 3/4 full but will drop back down if the SUV sits in idle for any time longer than 3 minutes. It will also fluctuate greatly after it hits 1/2 a tank of gas. For example, it will go from having over 1/4 of a tank to showing no gas and the gas light being on after one shut off and restart. The check engine light is consistently on in our vehicle now and I never know how much gas I truly have in my SUV. It now causes me to question the safety and reliability of the vehicle. We have loved our Santa Fe up until this point and are very disappointed in the large expense to have it fixed when it seems to be trend in the Santa Fe's that were made around the time of ours. This is now the second issue that we have had with the Hyundai brand related to a faulty part that causes an expensive fix. As a mother of a young child and currently expecting our second child, I am now reconsidering sticking with the Hyundai brand for future family vehicles. Hyundai needs to make this right or it will certainly cause families like mine to buy another brand going forward.

- Clinton, PA, USA

Nov 062014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel gauge started app. 2 weeks ago not registering the proper amount of fuel in the tank, even after numerous times of filling the tank up completly. 3 days ago now the check engine light had come on & would not go out! I made a appt. With the dealer I bought it from for today & was I ever surprised and shocked when the service adviser informed me the cost to replace the fuel sensors in the fuel tank that is causing the check engine light to stay on constantly was normaly about $1,200, but they could do it for the price of $811!! I had no choice but to go ahead and have the work done due to the check engine light staying on all the time I woukld never get my vehicle through the state inspection. Hyundai motor co. Should be forced to do re-calls on these defective parts that they are aware of!!! & be forced to re-imburse those of us who have had to spend this outracous sum of money to have our vehicles repaire due to there defective parts!!

- Howell, NJ, USA