2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

May 142013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

At start up I noticed that the fuel gauge needle was not registering the correct amount of fuel in the tank. It stayed pegged at zero amount of fuel. Later and no it registers sometime and sometimes it doesn't. sometimes it registers full with a full tank and then sinks to half a tank and later to zero, hardly indicating the correct amount of fuel.

- Tallahassee,, FL, USA

Santa Fe

The gas gauge is not working properly and it seems to be due to the fuel sensor. It constantly fluctuates up and down. It causes the check engine light to be on consistently. This seems to be something that a lot of Hyundai customers are dealing with per websites that I have read.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Aug 012014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The check engine light came on and the fuel gauge would fluctuate at times but when the light would go off the gauge would work properly. Then the light stayed on all the time and the fuel gauge would work off and on. Now neither one works at all and we have been trying to estimate how much gas we have, but that does not always work out. My husband is disabled and I have to travel a curvy country road at 430 am by myself and just recently I ran out of gas while going to work. My husband was unable to come and get me due to his disability so I sat on the side of the road from 430am to 630am waiting for someone to help me. This is the first Hyundai I've ever owned and I was very satisfied until this problem only to find out that many people have complained of the same problem and Hyundai has refused to fix the problem. Now there wasn't an accident or injury or even a fatality, by grace of god, but there very well could have been all those things it should not have to come to that.I hope you step up to the plate Hyundai and protect your good name while there is time to do so.

- Cynthiana, KY, USA

Jun 032014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge stopped working. Showed empty at all times even when full. Had to always estimate how much gas was left in order not to run out. It was very inconvenient and I had to finally take it to Hyundai to have fixed to the tune of $550. I agree there should have been a recall for this problem as it seems there are many others having the same problem.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel gauge began faulty showing empty only to slowly creep up to the correct level of gas. It now shows empty at all times. Full tank, empty tank, makes no difference.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Nov 302012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel level sensors began to malfunction as soon as the 30 day warranty from the dealership expired, right around the 60K mile mark in 2012. We began to see that the fuel gage would not indicate whether or not there was any fuel, and the check engine light began to come on, and eventually stay on. We began to have to count miles to ensure we didn't run out of gas and become stranded. I checked online and found a significant amount of complaints for the same issue, yet no recall from Hyundai. This year, we need to have a smog check in order to renew our dmv registration. Well, since the check engine light is permanently lit, the car did not pass the smog check. The only reasons listed on the diagnostic test were the 3 fuel level sensor malfunctions: P0463, P0464 and P2068. So, now we are forced to pay an enormous amount of money to fix it in order to successfully complete the registration with the dmv. Not only is the unfair, it is unethical for Hyundai to not issue a recall for something that is clearly a manufacturing issue, and nothing to do with the "normal wear and tear" that comes with owning a vehicle. This problem has been continuous since November of 2012 until today, October 24, 2014. If they do not issue a recall, I will be pursuing a lawsuit against Hyundai for the reimbursement of the cost to fix this problem.

- Covina, CA, USA

Jul 092014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel sensor on my 2008 Santa Fe is malfunctioning and not reporting the actual level of fuel in the tank. It is also causing the empty fuel indicator and the check engine light to stay lit all the time, so not only do I have to manually measure my fuel usage by miles driven, I also have no idea of any potential engine problems since that light/warning system has effectively been rendered useless. Hyundai dealerships are currently offering to fix the problem for about $800 and have the parts readily on hand since the problem is occurring so frequently now. This appears to be a defect with the earlier Santa Fe models and considering the potential consequences of accidentally running out of fuel or having an engine problem and not knowing it until it's too late, a recall should be issued.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

Jul 012014

Santa Fe

As is the case with many others filing complaints, we too have the defective fuel level sensor in our 2008 Santa Fe. It has also resulted in the check engine light being on at all times. The fuel gauge shows an empty tank at all times. We are forced to rely on the trip odometer to know when we need fuel.

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge warning light goes on and off regardless of amount of fuel in tank.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 022014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Gas gauge would not register the amount of gas in the tank. Reading on this there seems to be a lot of failures on the Santa Fe around the 72,000 mark.

- Prospect , CT, USA

Aug 012014

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge started bouncing from full to empty and we keep our tank above half most of the time. We went in to our local dealer and they said it is "normal" for fuel sensors to go out this early. Upon further pressing they said that it is happening on a lot of the Santa Fe's, but there was no recall at this time. 500-600 dollars to replace the sensors. For now we are just running it while filling up every time and keeping track of our mileage. These need to be recalled and fixed.

- Nampa, ID, USA

May 012014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Gas gauge fluctuates, and reads empty even when tank is nearly full. Appears to be the common fuel sensor failure that is well-documented on these vehicles. One forum suggested that everyone should report failures to NHTSA to apply pressure for a Hyundai recall, so add me to the list of frustrated owners.

- Manchester, MO, USA

Sep 112014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I see I am not the only one with a fluctuating fuel gauge sensor. I have been having this problem for the past six months. The sensor is always going up and down causing the fuel light to come on as well as well as the ck engine light. The code always indicates it is the fuel gauge sensor that is failing. According to what I have read, this car has two sensors located under the back seats. The dealer said it would cost me around $700 to get one repaired, but what's the use if they replace it with another Hyundai part that is defective as done to another complaintant on this site. This defect is obiviously a result of manufacturing so why does Hyundai delay in getting this issue resolved by doing a recall. This is also the result of Hyundai not taking due diligence in making sure they were installing a quality part. So why do we have to pay for their negligence?

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 092014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe my check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership and they said my fuel sensors to my sending unit needed replaced. Upon doing research I have discovered lots of other people with my same vehicle have had the same problem. What does it take for this part to be recalled" also after being referred to this website from my local news station I see that my complaint is one of the most common complaints on here also. Why has this sensor not been recalled"

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Dec 102013

Santa Fe

Like many other complaints I have read, the fuel gauge indicated empty when it was full. It would jump erratically from full to empty and in between. Cost over $550 to fix.

- Spring Lake Heights, NJ, USA

Jun 282014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Check engine light came on and took the car to the nearest dealership and the mechanic read the codes and said that it was the fuel sensor (fuel level sender). Since then, the fuel gauge continuously moves giving an inaccurate fuel level. I have researched this problem and found out that many others are having the same problem and the Hyundai company is not willing to do a recall on the parts affected. What does it take to get a company to recall a defective part?

- Wagener, SC, USA

Jun 202014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

After filling the gas tank at the pump and then starting the engine, I noticed that the dashboard fuel gauge indicated empty, with the "low fuel" indicator light on. Driving around for 5 miles did nothing to move the needle. After a day or so the gauge slowly worked its way up to register a full tank. This same problem re-occurred several times over 6-8 weeks, making it very difficult to know how much fuel was actually in the gas tank. At one point the "check engine" indicator came on and stayed on for a day and a half before turning off. Upon taking the car to the Hyundai dealership and explaining the problem, I was told immediately, before they even inspected the car, exactly what was wrong. The service manager said it was the fuel level sensors and that they've replaced "hundreds"..."it's a common problem with Hyundai". replacing two sensors cost a jolting $650, but I couldn't ignore the safety risk of never knowing when, where, and how I might run out of gas. When I asked why there hasn't been a recall issued, the sales manager said that there has to be a "safety issue" involved.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 142014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Check engine light came on and the reading came back as a bad fuel sensor. Sounds like this is a common problem yet Hyundai is not willing to recall. Despite trying to keep track of how much gas I have I did once run out in the middle of an intersection and was lucky enough to get to a safe location. Hyundai knew what they were doing when they installed these, there's non point in replacing it without replacing the fuel pump as well. This car has given me more issue than any other car I've owned. First a cylinder misfire which was a bad coil pack, then I had to replace a purge valve and now this. I'm selling it back to the dealership asap.

- Galloway, OH, USA

Jun 012014

Santa Fe

The fuel level sensor in the tank began to fail, causing the fuel gauge to behave erratically. Fuel levels would swing wildly from full to empty. The cel was thrown, but not until after the erratic behavior was observed. Without a cel to warn of a problem, the driver may think they have fuel when they do not and potentially run out of gas. This would be a serious safety hazard at highway speeds. We've spoken with Hyundai and this is not a recall or even a tsb issue, despite the fact that the problem is well documented among owners of this vehicle. The problem is common and this vehicle should be recalled.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jun 092014

Santa Fe

My 2008 gas gauge is not working properly or reading the correct levels of fuel. When I fill the tank up, the low level indicator light illuminates and stays on for several days. The check engine light also illuminates. After several miles of driving (few days), both lights will go off and gas gauge works properly. Around the half tank mark, the indicator light comes back on showing empty and check engine light appears. I've taken the vehicle to dealership and they quoted nearly $800 to fix this problem. Even though they admitted that this is a common occurrence, there is no recall"?" this is very dangerous and should be investigated.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA