2.2

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Oct 152014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fill up the gas tank and all is well until the tank is about half full then the gauge bounces around and the low fuel light comes on.

- Laureldale, PA, USA

Santa Fe

Filled tank, however, it did not register and tank showed empty. Eventually it went back up and seemed fine; about two weeks ago it did the same thing, showed empty after fully filling the tank. Just this week hit 50K miles, way too early for things to go wrong. Surprised at the # of other consumers affected by this disturbing malfunction. It appears it just a matter of time before this happens again. Concerned with safety as well as emission issues. Highly disappointed Hyundai has done nothing about this problem!!! in addition to the above we have had to replace a motor in the locking mechanism and the back seat (both)pockets have broken/come unglued, again, at just now 50K miles. Not impressed.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 062014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge does not read accurately. It doesn't matter if the gas tank is full, the gauge will show anywhere between empty and full at intermittent times. While the vehicle functions fine, the fuel gauge defect causes the check engine to turn on and therefore requires a $1000 repair to pass pa state inspections.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 012014

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge no longer reads properly. The check engine light is on and the code is PO464 which indicates a problem with the fuel sensor. There are so many owners with the same problem why is there not a recall on this??

- Marble Falls, TX, USA

Nov 032014

Santa Fe

Gas gauge started reading empty with indicator light going on. I fueled up the day before, so I knew this wasn't possible. The gas gauge read properly after turning off the car and starting back up. I have watched the gas gauge fluctuate while driving. As of Saturday, the check engine light has been coming on. Check engine light turns off when gas gauge states empty with indicator light illuminated. I had a software update performed in early October.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Nov 132014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The gas gauge is not working properly and it seems to be due to the fuel sensor. It constantly fluctuates up and down. It causes the check engine light to be on consistently. This seems to be something that a lot of Hyundai customers are dealing with per websites that I have read.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Oct 292014

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge no longer reads properly. The check engine light is on and the code is PO464 which indicates a problem with the fuel sensor. Estimated cost to repair is over $800 from the Hyundai service department. Considering the number of failures of the fuel indicating system on Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles, why has there been no recall?

- Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 072014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The car accelerated while brake pedal was being depressed and would not stop accelerating. Car had to be thrown into neutral and key turned off. All four brakes were burnt up. Thankfully no one was injured nor was there a crash. The repair shop could not find any issue on their diagnostic machine other than the RPM's rising even though brake was being applied. So they know it happened but just don't know why. Called Hyundai to document this and their only response was there was no recall and I should take it to a Hyundai dealer for diagnostic study. Sure - spend more money with Hyundai for them to tell me nothing. This problem needs to be addressed prior to the loss of 30+ lives.

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Jun 012014

Santa Fe

The gas gauge on our Santa Fe stopped working right after filling the tank to full. After driving for about 50 miles or so, the gauge will slowly rise to about 3/4 full but will drop back down if the SUV sits in idle for any time longer than 3 minutes. It will also fluctuate greatly after it hits 1/2 a tank of gas. For example, it will go from having over 1/4 of a tank to showing no gas and the gas light being on after one shut off and restart. The check engine light is consistently on in our vehicle now and I never know how much gas I truly have in my SUV. It now causes me to question the safety and reliability of the vehicle. We have loved our Santa Fe up until this point and are very disappointed in the large expense to have it fixed when it seems to be trend in the Santa Fe's that were made around the time of ours. This is now the second issue that we have had with the Hyundai brand related to a faulty part that causes an expensive fix. As a mother of a young child and currently expecting our second child, I am now reconsidering sticking with the Hyundai brand for future family vehicles. Hyundai needs to make this right or it will certainly cause families like mine to buy another brand going forward.

- Clinton, PA, USA

Nov 062014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel gauge started app. 2 weeks ago not registering the proper amount of fuel in the tank, even after numerous times of filling the tank up completly. 3 days ago now the check engine light had come on & would not go out! I made a appt. With the dealer I bought it from for today & was I ever surprised and shocked when the service adviser informed me the cost to replace the fuel sensors in the fuel tank that is causing the check engine light to stay on constantly was normaly about $1,200, but they could do it for the price of $811!! I had no choice but to go ahead and have the work done due to the check engine light staying on all the time I woukld never get my vehicle through the state inspection. Hyundai motor co. Should be forced to do re-calls on these defective parts that they are aware of!!! & be forced to re-imburse those of us who have had to spend this outracous sum of money to have our vehicles repaire due to there defective parts!!

- Howell, NJ, USA

May 142013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

At start up I noticed that the fuel gauge needle was not registering the correct amount of fuel in the tank. It stayed pegged at zero amount of fuel. Later and no it registers sometime and sometimes it doesn't. sometimes it registers full with a full tank and then sinks to half a tank and later to zero, hardly indicating the correct amount of fuel.

- Tallahassee,, FL, USA

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Aug 012014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The check engine light came on and the fuel gauge would fluctuate at times but when the light would go off the gauge would work properly. Then the light stayed on all the time and the fuel gauge would work off and on. Now neither one works at all and we have been trying to estimate how much gas we have, but that does not always work out. My husband is disabled and I have to travel a curvy country road at 430 am by myself and just recently I ran out of gas while going to work. My husband was unable to come and get me due to his disability so I sat on the side of the road from 430am to 630am waiting for someone to help me. This is the first Hyundai I've ever owned and I was very satisfied until this problem only to find out that many people have complained of the same problem and Hyundai has refused to fix the problem. Now there wasn't an accident or injury or even a fatality, by grace of god, but there very well could have been all those things it should not have to come to that.I hope you step up to the plate Hyundai and protect your good name while there is time to do so.

- Cynthiana, KY, USA

Jun 032014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge stopped working. Showed empty at all times even when full. Had to always estimate how much gas was left in order not to run out. It was very inconvenient and I had to finally take it to Hyundai to have fixed to the tune of $550. I agree there should have been a recall for this problem as it seems there are many others having the same problem.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel gauge began faulty showing empty only to slowly creep up to the correct level of gas. It now shows empty at all times. Full tank, empty tank, makes no difference.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Nov 302012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel level sensors began to malfunction as soon as the 30 day warranty from the dealership expired, right around the 60K mile mark in 2012. We began to see that the fuel gage would not indicate whether or not there was any fuel, and the check engine light began to come on, and eventually stay on. We began to have to count miles to ensure we didn't run out of gas and become stranded. I checked online and found a significant amount of complaints for the same issue, yet no recall from Hyundai. This year, we need to have a smog check in order to renew our dmv registration. Well, since the check engine light is permanently lit, the car did not pass the smog check. The only reasons listed on the diagnostic test were the 3 fuel level sensor malfunctions: P0463, P0464 and P2068. So, now we are forced to pay an enormous amount of money to fix it in order to successfully complete the registration with the dmv. Not only is the unfair, it is unethical for Hyundai to not issue a recall for something that is clearly a manufacturing issue, and nothing to do with the "normal wear and tear" that comes with owning a vehicle. This problem has been continuous since November of 2012 until today, October 24, 2014. If they do not issue a recall, I will be pursuing a lawsuit against Hyundai for the reimbursement of the cost to fix this problem.

- Covina, CA, USA

Jul 092014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel sensor on my 2008 Santa Fe is malfunctioning and not reporting the actual level of fuel in the tank. It is also causing the empty fuel indicator and the check engine light to stay lit all the time, so not only do I have to manually measure my fuel usage by miles driven, I also have no idea of any potential engine problems since that light/warning system has effectively been rendered useless. Hyundai dealerships are currently offering to fix the problem for about $800 and have the parts readily on hand since the problem is occurring so frequently now. This appears to be a defect with the earlier Santa Fe models and considering the potential consequences of accidentally running out of fuel or having an engine problem and not knowing it until it's too late, a recall should be issued.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

Jul 012014

Santa Fe

As is the case with many others filing complaints, we too have the defective fuel level sensor in our 2008 Santa Fe. It has also resulted in the check engine light being on at all times. The fuel gauge shows an empty tank at all times. We are forced to rely on the trip odometer to know when we need fuel.

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge warning light goes on and off regardless of amount of fuel in tank.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 022014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Gas gauge would not register the amount of gas in the tank. Reading on this there seems to be a lot of failures on the Santa Fe around the 72,000 mark.

- Prospect , CT, USA