2.0

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 272016

Santa Fe

After filling my gas tank, the fuel gauge on my 2009 Santa Fe would read empty and the low fuel light would illuminate. In addition, the "check engine" light came on. After driving a few miles the fuel gauge would fluctuate between empty and half full. The mechanic checked the onboard computer and the code said it was the fuel sensors. He replaced both of them, at a cost of $500, and it seems to have solved the problem. Mileage was slightly under 100,000 miles.

- Florence, KY, USA

Oct 152015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving various speeds, the check engine warning indicator illuminated and the fuel gauge displayed an incorrect reading. The dealer diagnosed that the fuel sender assembly and fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Hoschton, GA, USA

Sep 222016

Santa Fe

Have had the same issue as others. Fuel gauge isn't working, or works erratically. Check engine light is intermittent. Never know if the engine light is still on for fuel issue or something different, that could be considered dangerous. Code returned as fuel sensor or sending unit. I now believe it has caused issues with my catalytic converter. What does it take for Hyundai to step up to the plate?? I will never buy this again. Too many problems that no one can fix. I swear this car is haunted!

- Raymond, ME, USA

Aug 282016

Santa Fe

I want to join the many others who have launched complaints on this and other websites about the faulty fuel gauge sensors of the 2009 Santa Fe. When I fill my gas tank, the fuel gauge only registers at half a tank and the low fuel light comes on. Now my check engine light is on. When I brought the vehicle to auto zohn to have the engine light checked, it does, indeed, come up as a faulty fuel level sensor. Hyundai is obviously aware of this problem as evidenced by all of the consumer feedback, yet it has failed to do anything to assist. Unlike their counterparts at Toyota, Volkswagen and Chrysler, it shouldn't take a tragedy for Hyundai to step up and address this safety concern.

- Charlton, MA, USA

Jul 152016

Santa Fe

Starting on July 15, 2016, the check engine light (mil) came on, as well the fuel gauge incorrectly indicating the amount of fuel, in the fuel tank, at 107130 miles. I had the mil diagnosed as P0464, fuel sensor defect. Many other Hyundai Santa Fe owners, have reported this problem, requesting financial assistance to repair this significant safety problem, to Hyundai customer service, to no avail. Their response has been it is not their concern and have not offered to provide financial assistance. If I were to be driving at highway speed, e.g., 55-75 mph, and have the engine shut down, due to lack of fuel, the power steering would be significantly impaired, with loss of control. This could lead to loss of control of my vehicle, with subsequent probability of an "accident", resulting in personal injury, resulting in death, to me and my family members, as well as others, as well as serious property damage. The cost for replacement of the fuel level sensors is approximately $600 to $800. This fuels sensor problem and mil, occurs when stationary, when the ignition switch is turned to start, as well as when in motion, at any speed. I believe that before some disastrous event occurs, Hyundai should assist in the replacement of these defective fuel sensors.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Jul 142016

Santa Fe

Iżve taken my 2009 Santa Fe to the rick case roswell, ga on Friday, 7/1/2016 and again today, 7/15/2016, both for the same issue, my car is stalling while I drive it. On 7/1 they told me it was the battery, so had a new one installed while there. Both times, IżM been turning into a curve (it was a right hand turn on 7/1 and a left hand turn on 7/15). The first time I was lucky as it was just coming off a stop light. Last night, however, it was a curve to get on the highway with an 18 wheeler thundering behind me when my car stalled, and I lost the power steering and braking and almost became an 18 wheeler hood ornament. As I mentioned, the dealer is perplexed by the issue, nothing is showing up on the diagnostics and they canżT replicate the problem. I had to leave the dealership with the sense that IżM driving around in a ticking time bomb. As a women who frequently drives by herself in the car, and on the highway 99.9% of the time, I canżT tell you the fear that knowing that this can happen again at any moment and that the next time I may not be so lucky, instills in me. This is my second Hyundai and I have always considered myself to be a proud Hyundai owner, but I just did a little research and found out that a) not only am I far from the only person who has had this issue, B) there has actually been a class action law suit that Hyundai lost regarding the frequent stalling of Hyundai vehicles. I need Hyundai to fix this issue asap or risk being sued by my family after IżM killed in a car accident that is the direct result of your stalling vehicles.

- Roswell, GA, USA

May 252016

Santa Fe

Fuel sensor shows gas level erratically both on gauge and digital display, usually when fuel level is below 1/3 left in tank. Check engine light also then displays erratically. This happens only when vehicle is stopped in traffic or in parked position with engine on. Happens only, so far, in stop and go traffic and not on the hwy. Has been occurring since May 2016 with 105,000 miles.

- North Potomac, MD, USA

Feb 012016

Santa Fe

Around 90,000 miles my fuel sensor started not working the check engine light will come on and the needle will go up and down as well as the digital miles left on trip, I bought an extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle, but it only lasted until 80,000 miles of course. The sensor barely works and when it does it only lasts for a little while. I have to keep track myself of how much gas is in the car. I have seen several complaints about this issue and recalls for much less. I do not think vehicle owners should have to pay to replace these sensors and/or fuel pumps when this is clearly a defect by Hyundai. I will never purchase another Hyundai again.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Jul 012015

Santa Fe

The check engine light and low fuel light come on even with a full tank of gas. I've received several estimates to have the fuel sensor replaced and it will cost anywhere from $600 to $700. This should be a recall considering the amount of people with the same problem and safety issues.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 242016

Santa Fe

About a month ago my engine light kept coming on and every time I filled the tank with gas the car wont start unless I keep the foot on the gas while turning the ignition key then I have to switch the gear to drive with a foot on the brake and one on the gas. I took it to the dealership and had to replace the purge valve and the purge hose. Not even a week I went to fill the tank and my gauge dropped to empty and while I drive it starts to go up and down constantly it is hard to tell how much gas you have, I notice is very common on this make and model and year. This should be a recall since it is a safety hazard.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 092016

Santa Fe

After fueling my car, the gas gauge immediately dropped to empty and the light would come on. While driving it would then slowly creep up to about 3/4 of a tank. At the half way mark, it would go up and down gradually so that I could never trust how much gas was truly in my tank, leading me to always want to refuel at the halfway mark. This happened continually in between fueling and never corrected itself.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Mar 262016

Santa Fe

At approx 65000 miles of normal driving fuel gauge became erratic and unreliable. Guage reads anywhere from full to one eighth and fluctuates almost constantly regardless of actual fuel level. Check engine light on produced error code P0464. This is a dangerous situation.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 062015

Santa Fe

Ck engin light comes on code P0464 not a ll uncommon.

- S. Weymouth, MA, USA

Jul 042015

Santa Fe

Check engine light came on. Fuel gauge read empty. I had just filled up a day or so prior. I took to my mechanic he said that it is the fuel sensor. So I fill up the car and reset my trip to 0 every time I fill up now. Otherwise I have no idea how much gas is in the car...the fuel gauge jumps around...sometimes it says half empty...sometimes it says low fuel light. This is a dangerous and expensive situation...the fuel sensors should not failing! I see that may other people are experiencing the same problem...although this first happened over the summer the problem is ongoing and apparently wide spread.

- Amity Harbor, NY, USA

Dec 112015

Santa Fe

Fuel level stopped working, check engine light came on. Mechanic said the code called for replacement of fuel level sensors. $500 repair and the problem was not corrected. I never know how much gas I have and I can never put more than 8 gallons in when I fuel up. But gas gauge will go up to have then drop to empty then go up to half a tank. Very horrific. Check engine light is on which will cause me to fail inspection.

- Wellfleet, MA, USA

Nov 292015

Santa Fe

The engine lights stays on when you fill the gas tank it still says empty when driving everything will shut off this is for the second time in less than a year

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Nov 012015

Santa Fe

Only 85K miles on the Hyundai used for normal driving. The fuel gauge/sensors have begun acting erratic. Filled the gas tank and gauge showed full. Very next morning gauge down to a quarter tank. Purchased gas and only needed 3 gallons. Fuel gauge all over the place and not measuring gas correctly. Creates an unsafe condition as driver does not reliably know how much fuel is available. Many issues like this according to posts on internet. Hyundai has a systematic problem and should repair free of charge.

- Norman, OK, USA

Nov 252015

Santa Fe

After filling vehicle with fuel, fuel gauge showed tank empty and yellow light on dash shows fuel empty. Fuel gauge recovered to show 1/2 full, then displays erratic results. Online forums show defective fuel sensor with a large number of Hyundai vehicles. There should be recall on this issue. Drivers may think they have sufficient fuel, to then have vehicle run out of gas in a dangerous driving environment.

- Manchester, CT, USA

Jul 262015

Santa Fe

Car lost power while in motion taking a turn and slowing down to a stop. Started July 2015, once again in Aug. Now since Oct, happens more regularly, sometimes twice a day. Dealer looked at it twice. No codes, can't replicate so they don't know what's causing the problem. Replaced tcs and did recall 9H292430 all with no luck. Dealers next best guess is replacing throttle body.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Sep 282015

Santa Fe

Several months ago, the check engine light came on. I took the car to the dealer and while nothing was wrong with the engine, I needed to pay $1000 to repair the sensor because I needed my car emission inspected. In the last month, while on a road trip, the check engine light came on again and the car just lost power and stalled. When we restarted the car, the light was still on but went off the next day. Since then, the check engine light comes on randomly and the fuel gauge jumps all over the place. It will indicate I have 88 miles to empty and then jump back up to 130. The check engine light will come on one day and be off the next.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA