2013 Hyundai Santa Fe steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 012013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

While driving at any speed approaching 50 mph or more the electronically controlled power steering deviates from straight ahead on it's own Accord. The driver must make constant steering inputs to remain in the lane. This at least very annoying and in a narrow lane it is dangerous and fatiguing!

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Jun 272013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

After driving this new car for a few weeks I noticed that keeping the car in a straight line at highway speeds was difficult.called dealer and brought in for inspection.they said that steering was normal at this time.filed a complaint with Hyundai customer service.this car has been back to the dealer 12 times for the steering complaint.the dealer has done 2 alignments,3 wheel balances, several road tests including a 101 mile test by the Hyundai field service engineer.computer updates and driving other new Santa Fe's for comparison. It was suggested by the service manager that we replace the tires with another brand at 4,346 miles. Since the new tires where installed I can keep the car going in a straight line at 75mph.the steering is still quite sensitive but the wandering has improved.the dealer did not give up on correcting the problem and I will keep in contact with them.

- Mesquite, NV, USA

Dec 312012

Santa Fe 4-cyl

As first-time owner of a Hyundai vehicle (2013 Santa Fe sport 2.0), I am deeply troubled and disappointed by my ownership experience. My main complaint consists of operating a very unstable vehicle at highway speeds. It wanders, surges, and generally has a mind of its own. I constantly find myself trying to identify the blasts of wind that jostles my vehicle from side-to-side, only to realize it's a perfectly still day. Driving past other vehicles or having other vehicles pass me causes instability and is a challenge to keep in the lane. In support of the steering issue, it is non-linear, unpredictable, and feels disconnected from the front wheels. Additionally, without the steering wheel being rotated, the vehicle will make course corrections that are unexpected, inconsistent with steering angle, and feel unsafe on all road surfaces. My purchasing dealership tried to blame the steering issue due to the fact that the roads are not 100% level, flat, smooth, etc. I have been driving many different cars for over 30 years and this is the first time I have ever owned a vehicle that feels unsafe in all driving conditions - as if it were on ice! it is very tiring to drive this vehicle on long trips as it demands constant corrections to keep the vehicle in the lane. On straight, level roads, the vehicle wanders to the left or right. Higher speeds make the problem worse. I have taken my 2013 Santa Fe sport to be fixed on more than 4 occasions and no realignment, software update, tire inflation adjustment or related attempts have been successful in correcting the steering/handling problems of my vehicle.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 182013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

There is another complaint with regards to steering. The vehicle drifts left and right, also I am fighting with the steering when making turns. Dealer service dept. Was notified and my vehicle had a front end alignment and still has the same problem. Told the service dept again that same problem exists and was told that the technician could not find the problem. Their is a problem and no one wants to fix it. I hope some one looks into this.

- Scotrun, PA, USA

May 092013

Santa Fe

Vehicle does not stay in a straight line. I've had alignment issues before with other cars where it pulled to one side but this car is all over the place on the interstate. I constantly have to correct the steering wheel which is exhausting after 20 mins. Sometimes left sometimes right. Also suspension integrity is questionable when hitting bumps the car seems to bounce up and cause you to lose control for a quick second. Why is the government allowing this!"??????" went to dealer first they said nothing was wrong then a few months later they magically had new alignment specs which the did and it stills wonders.

- Astoria, NY, USA

Nov 012013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle would sway to the left. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 800...updated 03/18/14 the consumer stated the entire front end of the vehicle was replaced. However, the vehicle continued to the pull to the left and swayed from left to right. The steering was aligned. However, the problem continued. Updated 03/20/14

- Eatontown, NJ, USA

Dec 172012

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Vehicle drifts side to side while driving above 50 mph. Requires constant steering wheel correction which becomes very annoying & mentally & physically exhausting for trips exceeding 20 miles.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Aug 072013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

I bought 2013 Santa Fe sport 2.0T in September 2012 and after driving about 5K miles noticed that I constantly have to tilt steering wheel right to keep vehicle driving straight. I reported that to dealership, but they could not discover the root cause. They performed wheels alignment, but procedure did not help to fix this issue. If I do not correct steering wheel angle constantly, vehicle drifts left creating very unsafe condition. Driver's attention shall constantly be on correcting steering wheel angle.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 032013

Santa Fe

My wife purchases a new 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 2T in June. She doesn't T drive much on the highway. I just came home from being away for a while. Drove the car on the highway. I thought something was wrong with it. So, I came to this website. Found out this is a problem. Control is horrible. Car drifts from side to side. You have to constantly move steering wheel to keep the car going straight. It's like in the old days when there is play in the steering wheel. Not safe. Car should not drift either way. Sometimes you over compensate to bring the car straight. I have never experienced this with any car in the last 20 yrs I have had.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Oct 062013

Santa Fe

I just bought this car a couple of days ago. The steering on this car is dangerous! it will not drive in a straight line. Read all over the internet, there are numerous complaints on this same issue. This is a safety issue and needs a recall immediately. I have two children in the car with me. This scares me!! please, please, please get a recall on the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe sport immediately!!

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Oct 012012

Santa Fe 4-cyl

This vehicle wanders all over the road. Whenever there is any wind -- even passing other vehicles -- the vehicle is unstable. In my opinion this car is not safe to drive.

- Indialantic, FL, USA

Feb 212013

Santa Fe 4WD 4-cyl

While driving at speeds of 45 mph and up, the vehicle wanders and drifts from side to side. This is very tiring to drive and requires constant attention. At the lower speeds it seems to wander mostly to the left so you constantly have to correct to the right. Dealer has made six attempts to fix without success.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Sep 112013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Steering felt "weird" from the moment I left the lot with my new car. Test drive on a similar vehicle was fine. The car wanders all over the road, requires constant steering to keep a straight track. My 40 mile trip home was spent fighting the wheel, not enjoying my new car....which I love otherwise. I will not keep this car if the steering cannot be fixed, other driver's have had the same complaint.

- Spicer, MN, USA

May 042013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Car is not safe to drive due to terrible steering car wonders all over the road very hard to keep in lane over 50 mph I would be surprise if no one has crashed because of this.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Sep 242012

Santa Fe 4-cyl

The steering is hard to control. The vehicle wonders from side to side as if you are being hit by strong wind gusts. The faster you go the worse it gets. The tracking is terrible. It doesn't matter what mode its in or weather the vehicle is empty or has 3 passengers in it. You're always correcting which makes for a very draining trip.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jul 082013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Steering wanders from center at highway speed (65+mph). Requires constant and excessive correction to keep in the lane. I have taken car to dealer to have it serviced on 7/03/2013 with no resolution.

- Spring Hill, TN, USA

Nov 082012

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Car wonders from side to side when it should be going straight down the road. It happens at all speeds, but is more noticeable on the highway.

- West Allis, WI, USA

Mar 202013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Driving this vehicle on the highway is very unsafe. Vehicle wanders, very hard to control. Constantly have to correct.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

May 032013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

The steering is hard to control. The vehicle wonders from side to side as if you are being hit by strong wind quests. The faster you go the worse it gets. The tracking is terrible. It doesn't matter what mode its in or weather the vehicle is empty or has 3 passengers in it.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

May 082013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

2013 Santa Fe sport 2 ot 19 inch tires. Vehicle was purchase around April 13 2013. At 1000 miles I notice vehicle steering has a wandering effect, its like driving in high winds. I have to constantly correct steering to maintain the lane. Took to dealer on May 30 2013 with 1406 miles they came up with during shipping tires are over inflated too keep from bouncing on transporter, they lowered tire pressure.that didn't work, dealer told me to bring it back. But any way I emailed consumeraffairs@hmausa.com on May 30,2013. You can call at 1-800 633-5151 so I got corporate and dealership involved. I have worked with them before, they were helpful and concerned.

- Eight Mile , AL, USA