2014 Hyundai Santa Fe steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Mar 012016

Santa Fe

I have a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe sport AWD. This is my 3rd Hyundai. I have really been impressed until now. My car wanders all over the road when driving over 50mph either on a road or interstate. I have to work hard to hold the wheel to keep the vehicle straight. The handling is awful I feel like my car is skating all over the road. Like I am driving on ice. The car is unsafe to drive. I have been to the dealership, had the alignment checked, had a new alignment performed, as well as replace the tires. This has not fixed the issue. I feel it is unsafe to put my 5 year old in the vehicle. I cannot keep the steering straight. What is Hyundai doing to fix this issue" I am making payments on a vehicle I feel is unsafe to drive and no one can tell me why"

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Jun 012015

Santa Fe

Highway driving at speeds around and above 60mph the vehicle' steering requires constant correction to keep it within the lanes. The SUV randomly swerves in one direction or the other and requires quite a bit of effort to bring it back to center lane. The constant battle to keep the SUV centered in the lane causes arm fatigue over time. Passengers, especially in the back seat, could experience motion sickness due to the constant side-to-side corrections. Noticed the problem is worse on larger highways, 3-4 lanes wide. May be due to angle of roads for water run-off. This is not a one time incident, it is always this way. No problem whatsoever at lower speeds.

- Apex, NC, USA

Aug 112015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated while driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel required excessive force in order to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken toa dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 21,000....updated 01/07/16

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Jun 202015

Santa Fe

On 6/20/2015, while travelling on an interstate highway, , the steering wheel made a "clunk" noise and the power assisted steering warning light came on. Lights indicating a malfunction of the ESC and downhill brake assist also lit up. There was complete loss of power assisted steering. I was able to manhandle the steering on side roads and made it home. On the first business day after the incident I took the vehicle to the local Hyundai dealer where it has remained awaiting a replacement steering column.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Jun 202015

Santa Fe

6/20/2015 backed out of stall at costco, marysville, wa. Immediately loss of power steering and three alerts came on. There are known issues with this happening. Brand new car will have to have car towed. Not safe to drive 3 alerts 1. ESC malfunction 2. downhill braking 3. sport mode......updated 10/20/15

- Arlington, WA, USA

Nov 012014

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Vehicle wanders right and left at 55 mph and above. Will not maintain a straight line. Have been to the dealer three times and the regional service manager has been called in and has driven it. Also have taken out a case #. everything checks out fine but the problem still exists. Dealer states it is normal for this type of electrical power steering. Vehicle is not drivable on the freeway. Hyundai is no longer willing to work on it....updated 07/21/15

- Galloway, OH, USA

Jun 112015

Santa Fe

Power steering failed at approximately 3,250 miles. This did not occur while driving (fortunately), but on startup. The car was towed to dealership which told us this was a widespread problem, therefore the replacement part was on backorder and wouldn't be available for at least a month. I asked why they couldn't take a part from a new car they had on their lot, and they said those might be bad too. * 10/15/2015

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jun 112015

Santa Fe

The steering on our 2014 Santa Fe went out today while trying to take a left turn at a green light prior to getting onto a major highway. The car was towed to the dealer we purchased the vehicle at and we were told we need an entire new steering column and to do this they need parts from outside of the United States. Could have been a very bad situation if it had happened a few moments later on the highway.

- Rosemount, MN, USA

Apr 182015

Santa Fe 4-cyl

I was driving on the 405 freeway and I started noticing that the vehicle did not stay in its lane even though I wasn't moving the steering wheel, it veer to the right and left continuously I had to keep my hands on the steering wheel in order to try to keep it straight, when I purchase this vehicle I did not notice the issue because I only drove it for a mile or two down the freeway, I headed home and that's when I notice the problem, to me this is a safety concern and I think that Hyundai should look into this issue before someone has an accident. I'll be bringing it back to the dealership to see if they are able to resolve the concern.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Aug 152014

Santa Fe

Vehicle is unstable at highway speeds above 55+ mph. Vehicle has 3 steering modes (comfort, normal & sport) and regardless of which one, the vehicle requires constant course correction. At first I thought cross winds might have been the issue and it is not. Cross winds will actually make it worse. I've contact the dealer and I was informed the problem was a known issue. I have an infant child and another on the way. This is a serious concern as this vehicle shows signs to be unstable and causes fatigue.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 152014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

When driving at highway speeds, it is difficult to keep the vehicle driving straight. The vehicle tends to wander and requires constant steering corrections to keep it going in a straight line even on a straight level road with no wind, and will sometimes veer off quickly in either direction, leaving its lane, for no apparent reason.this can be particularly difficult to control when passing another vehicle--especially a truck. When driving for a long distance, it is also very tiring to constantly have to be "steering" the vehicle all day long. My description of driving this vehicle is that, "it is like herding a cat down the highway.". I have taken the vehicle back to my dealer twice: The first time they checked alignment (nothing found), the second time they replaced the original kuhmo tires with Continental tires from a 2015 Santa Fe (this made a huge improvement, and made the vehicle drivable, but the problem still exists). I then went to another dealer (they could find nothing wrong, but did suggest increasing the tire pressure to 40 psi). I then contacted Hyundai corporate customer service to see if they had any suggestions/recall/etc. & although they were very pleasant to talk with, they did not seem to know anything about the problem. Although it will cost me almost $10,000 to make a change; because of the safety issue, I have decided to sell the vehicle, as I feel that it is too unsafe to continue to drive. (I also have a 2008 Santa Fe, which I purchased new, and which has never had any kind of steering/handling issue.).

- Spirit Lake, IA, USA

Aug 192014

Santa Fe

The car feels very unstable when driving down the highway. It wonders across the road and I am always trying to correct with the steering wheel. I traded in my 2011 Santa Fe limited and the steering was excellent on my old car. So I am very unhappy and don't feel very safe driving my new 2014 Santa Fe sport. I have also experienced the feeling of it swaying as reported by others too. There are many other complaints on these same issues and they need to correct these unsafe issues. The blind spot on the right rear is pretty bad too.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jan 082014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle swerved to the right independently and no warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was performing as designed. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Boynton Beach , FL, USA

Jul 082014

Santa Fe

Steering issue on Hyundai Santa Fe 2014. Vehicle wanders back and forth across driving lane at speeds over 45 mph. It is impossible to hold the vehicle on a straight line.

- Weldon Spring, MO, USA

Mar 302014

Santa Fe 4-cyl

While driving on the highway, starting around 55mph, the car starts getting wobbly on the road. It is a constant struggle with the steering wheel to keep the car going straight. If there is any wind or driving by trucks, the car becomes even more difficult to control. I have seen many others having the same issue and there does not appear to be a fix, however dealer attempts seem to even worsen the issue with others, so I have yet to address this with the dealer. I do worry when my wife drives the car because she is not used to it, and has ┐┐ thrown┐Ł her into the breakdown lane several times. I'm hoping Hyundai will acknowledge the issue and come up with a viable solution.

- Ellington, CT, USA

Aug 242014

Santa Fe 4-cyl

At highway speeds of around 65+ mph, the vehicle requires constant, but very slight, steering corrections where the slightest lapse in attention may result in the vehicle leaving its lane and possibly result in a crash. Oddly, this is most noticeable on smooth, straight, level highways without wind or other vehicles nearby that could affect the tracking of the vehicle. It seems to be an alignment issue (neg. Or 0 deg toe) or an electric power steering system issue (torque sensor too coarse, drive motor too aggressive, or improper gain (I.e. system responds too late to input, then over responds when it does respond))...though these are educated guesses. My first dealers refused to check the alignment because they "have to drive the vehicle to confirm the issue, " and "they are not allow to drive over 65 mph." Even if they were able to drive above 65 mph, they would have to do it on the right type of highway and under the right conditions for the issue to show itself, and I doubt many dealers will go through such an effort. This is a very common complaint with the 2013 models and, to a lesser degree, with the 2014 models. Please see: note that many people with similar complaints were unable to resolve the problem with an alignment (pointing to the eps having an issue). The same complaints also appear with the Hyundai sonata.

- Burke, VA, USA

Aug 082014

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Car wonders when traveling on freeway going at freeway speeds. Correcting for this darting from side to side seems scary at these speeds. Changing the driving mode selection on the steering wheel doesn't change the problem. I still experience the same wondering and darting that I am constantly trying to correct. Thought it might be tires but they are new and no signs of unusual wear. Acts like a worn ball joint or tie rod or the need for an alignment.

- Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA

Feb 192014

Santa Fe 4-cyl

2014 Santa Fe sport AWD - the car wanders excessively at highway speeds and the problem becomes worse as the speed increases. The car needs continuous steering correcting just trying to travel in a straight line. The car will dart front right to left at varying degrees of intensity. The car was taken to the dealership with less than 500 miles to address this issue and the dealer checked the alignment but found no issues with it. As described by others, the car behaves as if it had worn out ball joints, however it is a brand new vehicle. I had thought that this was an isolated issue with my vehicle, but after test driving another Santa Fe sport AWD and reading online reviews from places such as and numerous owner community forums by simply searching "Santa Fe wandering", it appears that a vast number of people are experiencing this terrifying anomaly. This issue makes me feel incredibly unsafe driving on the highway especially when passing traffic or next to other vehicles as the car does not want to drive in a straight line.

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Dec 052013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle drifted from left to right. The contact indicated that when driving the vehicle at highway speeds, it was very difficult to keep vehicle in a straight line. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times where the alignment was adjusted and the tires were checked but the defect persisted. The manufacturer was not informed of the defect. The failure mileage was 150.

- Peoria , AZ, USA

Oct 082013

Santa Fe

Drove new 2014 Santa Fe sport 2.0T for the first time on the highway after buying it 3 days earlier. The vehicle would not maintain a straight path while driving at highway speed. Sf required continuous correction at a varying degree. It is not only that the vehicle wonders, but it does so mildly and aggressively. The vehicle tends to sway and rock all while trying to correct for the continuous wondering. It's a very odd sensation that occurs, just when you think you might go straight for a bit the vehicle will dart to one side and it has no rhythm or reason. Sometimes left sometimes right and the road crown plays no part in the direction. Dealer aligned all 4 wheels twice. Added toe in and camber to the rear. Also, replaced rear springs and shocks. Turns out one of the springs was shorter than the other by 1/4" causing the suspension to be unbalanced. This repair helped for some of the unexplained rocking but now that it is fixed the whole steering issue has been exacerbated. I don't feel safe in the vehicle and intend on selling it. Currently, it has 11K miles. I logged another complaint with Hyundai customer service today too. The fact that potential buyers rarely get to drive the new car for more than 7-10 miles and at speeds rarely above city is a disservice. If Hyundai knows this problem exists and government oversight knows, than it is deceitful and dishonest. Lastly, this vehicle behaves in the same manner as one with worn out ball joints that would not pass a state safety inspection. Yet these Santa fes are still being sold. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Buyer beware!

- Concord, NC, USA