2007 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Sonata:

2007 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Nov 272013

Sonata 4-cyl

Red "air bag" instrument panel light came on and has not gone off in 5 days. I am currently planning to make an appointment with a Hyundai dealer to address another air bag issue with the passenger air bag system under a recall initially released on 4/2008, but which I have only recently received notice in the past few months. This recall does not address the current problem as I understand it from various consumer forums. However there are a substantial number of people complaining about this similar issue that appears to be all part of a defective OCS system overall. Since the red lamp indicates that the air bag system is now deactivated, this raises a more serious issue than the passenger sensor issue, since now the driver as well is unprotected.

- Massapequa Park, NY, USA

Oct 102012

Sonata 4-cyl

Air bag light would come on for a few days then go off. Now it is continuously on. Dealer said that both seat belt buckles need to be replaced. I though any seatbelt issues had no warranty end date. They want $550 to repair. I hope my air bags work if/when needed. There seem to be many such complaints. Seems this should be a recall issue.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 022013

Sonata 4-cyl

The air bag warning light comes on intermittently also the passenger air bag off light comes on when an adult is seated in the passenger seat, also the fasten seat belt light comes on when no one is sitting in the passenger seat.

- Cedar Bluff, AL, USA

Oct 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

The air bag light on the dash above the steering wheel was coming on and off for several months and is now permanently on. In May 2013 I called the Hyundai assistance center and was told there was a recall and to schedule repair with the dealer. When I called the dealer, they informed me that there is no air bag recall for my vehicle. After another 30 minutes on the phone and on hold with the assistance center, I was informed that there was indeed a recall but that it applied to the light above the radio indicating that there is an issue with the passenger seat air bag and the detection of a small child. After a $60 diagnostic test, I've now learned that my air bag light is due to some sort of seat belt issue, which will have to be repaired at my expense. This appears to be a common issue and should be addressed by Hyundai.

- South Haven, MI, USA

Jun 152013

Sonata 4-cyl

Airbag warning lamp on the dash constantly lit after engine start. Failure of airbag system.

- Clarksville, MD, USA

Aug 012013

Sonata 6-cyl

The air bag warning light stays on constantly. The dealership said the sensor was triggered due to a faulty passenger seat belt assembly and needed to be replaced ($385). This was not covered by our extended 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Must have been front bumper to front bumper coverage. Fortunately, we did not have to wait for an accident to see if the air bags would deploy or not. Regardless, the company has failed to stand by its safety features.. even with repeated complaints, Hyundai has still failed to recall the vehicles for this issue.

- Sunbury, OH, USA

Jul 202013

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the passenger's side air bag sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 57,000 and the current mileage was 58,000.....updated 10-21-13

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Jul 142013

Sonata 6-cyl

Vehicle struck and totaled yet no air bags went off.

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Jun 212013

Sonata 4-cyl

From police report: The collision occurred as parties were traveling northbound on I-15 North of via rancho parkway in the #1 lane. P-1 (driver) was driving vehicle 1 (Mitsubishi) and traveling at approximately 65-70 mph behind vehicle 2 (Hyundai). P-2 (driver) was driving vehicle 2 (Hyundai) and was stopped behind vehicle 3 (Toyota). P-3 (driver) was driving vehicle 3 (Toyota) and traveling at approximately 5 mph. This collision occurred when due to vehicle 1's unsafe speed; P-1 (driver) allowed the front of vehicle 1 to strike the rear of vehicle 2. vehicle 2 was pushed into the rear of vehicle 3. vehicle 2 Hyundai per insurance claim is totaled. Airbags did not deploy.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Apr 162013

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who advised the contact that the passenger air bag occupant sensor malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance because the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 134,000 and the current mileage was 135,000.

- Erial, NJ, USA

May 082013

Sonata 6-cyl

There is an airbag light on in my 2007 Hyundai Sonata. I received a pamphlet regarding a class action lawsuit against Hyundai that my vehicle qualified for a "free" recalibration to "reset" the airbag light. I called my local dealer, got the car in. They said that the airbag light was on due to a faulty seatbelt, and they would have to remove the entire seat, send it to California and it would cost me $300. I said that I would need to speak to my spouse, and they charged me $70 for the visit for them to "diagnose" the problem.....I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I also see where there are several complaints online of the very same issue my car is having. Also....I intend to fill out another complaint form for a 2006 Hyundai Sonata we own, that is having the exact same issue. Something needs to be done about this, and not a the customer's expense either. Obviously it is an issue Hyundai should be taking care of.

- Saint Marys, OH, USA

May 042013

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the driver's side air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The dealer stated that the buckle for the seat belt tensioner caused the failure, which needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 64,000.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Apr 202013

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while parked, he noticed that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the front passenger buckle resistor would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- St Cloud, MN, USA

Dec 032012

Sonata 6-cyl

My air bag light stays on all the time. Whenever I am driving alone, my passenger seatbelt light flashes not stop. This two things been going on for a while now. Also my lights stay on even after I switch my lights off, I have to turn them on and turn them back off until they shut off. A mechanic told me its the brake light switch causing the problem. I have had technicians look at these issues, and it will cost hundreds to repair. I believe Hyundai is missing out the point that the 2007 Sonata models have an air bag issue too.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

Air bag warning light comes on, stays on while driving. This happens intermittently. In the following weeks sometimes light comes on and stays on during a trip, on another day it stays off. Happens when nobody in front passenger seat, and also when an adult sits in passenger seat. Dealer inspected car on 3/25/13 and said that the control unit needs replacing at a cost of about $270. Thinks that when light is on, air bags may or may not deploy. Claims there has been no recall, but it seems to me I have seen a recall notice for that problem.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Mar 012008

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags) and attempted to have the vehicle repaired but was informed by the dealer that no such recall existed. The contact was denied repairs to the vehicle per the recall. The manufacturer was contacted and confirmed that the vehicle was included in and could be repaired under the recall campaign. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Mar 312008

Sonata 4-cyl

At about 5000 miles the drivers side air bag light came on. My wife took it to the dealership and was told that she would be responsible for the repair. ($1200).

- Bastrop, TX, USA

Nov 022012

Sonata 4-cyl

The air bag light on my car started to come on all the time. Also when no one was in the passenger seat, the seat belt light would continue to flash. Research on this problem brought me to this recall: NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000. I contacted Hyundai motor America and they said it was probably in the recall. As they directed, I took it to the dealer and they ran my VIN to see if it was in the recall set but it was not. They also checked the air bag system and confirmed it was the issue dealt with on the recall but they would not cover the cost of the repair ($1,200) because it was not recalled. About that time I received a class action lawsuit dealing with calibrating the air bag system. This lawsuit only covers calibration and not repair which my car needs. As I communicated my concerns to Hyundai motor America, they basically told me that because the car was out of warranty and because the class action lawsuit would only deal with calibration, it was my cost to repair. To me this issue is clearly in the area of defect in material from the manufacturer and not caused by my actions or neglect. And since hma repaired the recall vehicles with the same problem regardless of the warranty of the car, and mine was outside the VIN set, I request that the recall be examined and expanded to include my vehicle and any others that have the very same issue but fell outside the scope of the original set. I find it hard to believe that hma would turn it's back on a clear safety issue that has been described and repaired in so many other similar cars, just because it falls outside of a technical scope of VIN numbers.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Oct 162012

Sonata

We took the car in for a recall on the OCS and the dealer found two fault codes B1701 and B1706 indicating that both passenger and drivers side belt pretensioners resistance is too high.I see there are many 2006 and 2007 Sonatas with a similar issue. Dealer wants a total of $871.74. With the number of repeated complaints I think there should be a safety recall.

- Great Mills, MD, USA

Oct 112007

Sonata 4-cyl

We bought this vehicle brand new in 2007. With about 5000 miles the air bag light came on. We took it to the dealer and they could not find a problem and turned the light off. It came back on I think around 11,000 miles. Same thing happened, the dealer said they could not find the problem & turned the light off. In October 2010 we took it in again with the air bag light on at 47,458 miles. The dealer repaired a passenger seat belt. In May 2011 with 58,640 miles the air bag light comes on again. This time they repair passenger seat cushion. The air bag light came on again in 2012 but we've been driving it this way for a while. The airbag light has been on more often than off it seems, and it always is some minor issue or can't be found. In Feb 2013 with 87,725 miles I took the car to the dealer and now they say it is a driver's seat belt issue and is not covered under warranty. Clearly Hyundai is having major issues with the seat belts and the OCS system. Something should be done about this.

- Matthews , NC, USA