Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

May 132016

The light for both the driver and passenger seatbelt not functioning properly will not turn off. The passenger seatbelt light stays at seatbelt off and the driver's will not turn off after the vehicle has started. Both stay on the entire time the vehicle is on.

- Columbia, MO, USA

May 022016

Clicking in steering wheel dealer stated needed new coupler cost 4.00, labor $334. Also airbag light remains on, dealer stated clockspring repair $372. Mileage 69000. Checked Hyundai websites, numerous repairs for these sames issues on the 2011 Sonata, both issues should be a recall issues. With so many of these cars having the same issues, these wld appear to be defects in the manufactured with the cars.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 262016

Passenger seat airbag light is on all the time. According to the manual it needs to be repaired as soon as possible because if there is an accident the airbags will not deploy. I was browsing the internet and found that many Hyundai Sonatas are having the same problem on old and new models. My car is a 2011 Sonata.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Apr 182016

My air bag light stays on after I start my engine, I have no one else in the vehicle only a light jacket or lunch bag on the passenger seat. It started three days ago.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 122015

To start with the airbag light on the drivers side will not go off even though the vehicle has never been in an accident. Additionally none of the steering wheel controls will work at all. I have looked online and these seem to be a rampant problem with the 2011 model.

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Sep 012015

The airbag light comes on when the car is crunk and will not go off. Has been on for months. No car accidents either.

- Deland, FL, USA

Apr 042016

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while at a stop sign, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart however, the failure was persistent. The contact also mentioned that the air bag warning light constantly illuminated. The vehicle was repaired previously under NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine). The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 118,000.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Mar 312016

Steering wheel makes a clicking noise when turned left or right, and shakes and rattles violently when going over a bump (whether it be a small bump on the road or speed bump). Also shakes and rattles when I brake. After one shake and rattle incident, my airbag light came on and stayed on. None of my steering wheel controls (volume, bluetooth, phone, cruise control, etc.) work. My horn no longer works also. Took my car to Hyundai dealer and had to pay $118 just to have it diagnosed! really"!" I had to pay in order to find out what was the problem with my car. Service technician said the shaking/rattling problem was the flex coupler assy, which they quoted me was $475 to fix! then they said it would cost me another $225 to fix my steering wheel control issue! come to find out many other people are having the same issue that I'm having. It is a safety concern and should be a safety recall. Called Hyundai customer care and they told me they can't do anything about it because I went over my warranty mileage limit. This is a huge safety concern issue because when my steering wheel shakes, I feel like it's gonna fall off. I don't feel safe driving a car that violently shakes. Considering so many people are having this same problem, I don't understand why Hyundai isn't taking the time to look into this issue and resolving this problem with so may complaints regarding the same issues! I'm not paying another $700 to fix my car when it is obvious Hyundai used cheap ($2) part that are breaking down on their consumers. I already paid $118 just to find out what the problem was! Hyundai needs to resolve this issue as soon as possible before it gets worse and/or fatal! this issue needs to be recalled!

- El Monte, CA, USA

Mar 012016

I have been having problems with my airbag light. Initially when I would start my car up the airbag warning light would come on but then it would go off after a couple of minutes. Now it has come on and will not go off. It has been on for about a month. I called the dealership and they informed me that it was not under warranty. I have been looking online and seeing a lot of complaints about the air bag light. Is something going to be done concerning this problem?

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 312016

Airbig light remains illuminated when the car has not been in accident, large or small, nor any other conditions (ie electrical) to cause it to remain

- Apex, NC, USA

Nov 062015

The airbag light stays on. I am worried that if I'm in a car accident my airbags will not deploy. Please help.

- Taylor, TX, USA

Feb 152016

The passenger airbag light came on at 37,000 mileage while the car was on but not moving. I took it to my local Hyundai dealer to check the airbag light and was told that airbag controller needed to be replaced. However, this is manufacturing defect that poses a threat of the consumer's safety as it can be deadly that the airbags will not deploy when needed! this can be fatal. Additionally, it seems this problem has been reported by other owners of 2011 Sonatas over the past 5 years. This needs to be a recall from the manufacturer! please help the consumers and their families.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Feb 152016

The airbag light is continuously on without being in an accident and when the vehicule is not in motion. This means the airbags will not deploy in the case of an accident! this is a very serious problem that can cause serious injuries and/or death! it seems this is a persistent issue with Hyundai Sonatas since 2006.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Feb 012016

Air bag light came on at 66700 miles. Took to local Hyundai dealer for maintenance and to check air bag light and was told passenger seat bottom and track needed replaced. Would cost approximately 850 dollars. This is a manufacture defect and I have kids and can't even trust driving this car due to safety issue with the airbags likely not deploying!!!!! this needs recalled!!!! I need to be able to trust my cars safety. Especially with my 3 kids. Recall this asap please....... I have read this is a problem with most 2011 Hyundai Sonatas from people's complaints all over the internet. Obviously a defect and a huge safety issue!!!!!

- Southgate, KY, USA

Feb 012016

Airbag light came on at 66800 miles. Took car to Hyundai dealership being told driver seat needs replaced because sensor went bad!!!! says it will be like 800 dollars to get a new seat. So airbags won't work unless I buy a new seat. There should be a safety recall done on these 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited with this problem!!!! I have read that lots of people who own these cars have the same problem!!!!

- Southgate, KY, USA

Mar 132016

On Sunday 03/13/2016 at 1957 hours a collision occurred between a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and 2000 Ford Expedition. The collision resulted in the death of the driver of the Hyundai. The collision was head on in nature at and speeds greater than 40 mph. The airbags in the Sonata failed to deploy. This is an on going felony investigation. My name if ofc. Chris ray #2013 and I am an accident re-constructionist with the omaha police department in omaha, Nebraska. I would like someone to contact me 402-444-5626 (office) or 402-980-0192 (cell). I can also be reached via email at

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 062015

About a year ago, my airbag light lit up on my dashboard. It stayed on every time I had my car on. Hyundai fixed it for me. They said that they replaced the clock spring assist, reset the codes and it was fixed. Now the light is back on again. Its not even a year later.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Sep 172014

Thankfully, my situation doesn't yet include any type of accident. My airbag light came on around August, 2014. I purchased the car used in January of that same year from a Hyundai dealership. It was only 3 years old, so I didn't think the indicator light was anything serious, maybe just a sensor. I serviced the car on Sept. 17, 2014 for a different problem, and the tech noted the airbag light was on. I declined to do repairs or diagnostics because I had just paid several hundred dollars that day. When I serviced the car September, the following year (Sep 17, 2015) I requested they check the airbag. They kept the car overnight, unable to establish the source of the problem -- in fact they had to consult a Hyundai expert out-of-house. Eventually they told me the whole driver side airbag assembly needed replacement - $1,100. The paperwork lists "airbag B1102 bat voltage low, B1346 resistance too high, needs new air bag assy." My concern is that a car only 3 years old needs a new air bag. Until I'm able to afford a new one, mine still doesn't work. Given the other electrical issues in the car, I have to wonder if other Hyundai owners have had similar problems. I hope this information is helpful, and perhaps prevents serious injury due to faulty air bag assembly units.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Dec 242015

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 20 mph, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The driver and passenger side air bags deployed. A police report was filed. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Sep 022015

At approximately 112000 miles the air bag sensor light came on and has remained on.

- El Paso, TX, USA