CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 20 of 43)

Jul 132015

Sonata

On a two lane surface street driving on a straight course at 35 mph the steering wheel suddenly began to shake back and forth so violently that I could barely hang on and keep the car on the road until I could get it to stop on the road's shoulder. It continued to shudder until the engine was turned off. Upon proceeding at about 20 mph to a phone to call for a tow to a dealer it happened again and jerked the car into the oncoming opposite lane. It could not be driven safely at any speed. It happened a third time when loading the car onto the tow truck. The violent shaking of the steering wheel continued well after the engine was powered off. The dealer's service mechanics were able to replicate this violent shaking condition in their shop with the engine both running and with the engine off. They submitted a video on it to Hyundai engineers. The diagnosis was "internal failure of the power steering pump /module that is built into the steering column." A replacement module was ordered and replaced in about four days and $1033.92.

- Owosso, MI, USA

Oct 162015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 35 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the upper steering column universal joint needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Hamden, OH, USA

Sep 012015

Sonata

Both when the car is in motion and stationary, the steering wheel makes a loud knocking sound when you turn it left or right.

- Morgan, GA, USA

Aug 312015

Sonata

8/31/15 took my car for service at a Hyundai dealership. Was told the steering coupling needed to be replaced. When I asked the mechanic how was this determined, he stated by listening as he turned the steering wheel. I was given the cost as $360. On 10/19/15, I returned for an oil change and was reminded about the steering coupling. I purchased this car in October,2012. I can't believe this is happening. I have read other drivers have had similar problems. I would like to see this investigated. It makes no sense that we are having such problems and the car isn't 5 years old yet. This will be my last Hyundai.

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 122015

Sonata

Steering wheel started vibrating when driving. Then, a clicking noise could be heard when turning the wheel left or right. Was told the entire steering column and electric power steering motor would need to be replaced at a cost of about $1200. Car only has 64,000 miles on it.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Oct 172015

Sonata

Exhibiting exact same issue as described in NHTSA campaign number: 10V-070 Hyundai dealer said my car was built in March and will not make the repair. Also exhibiting issues described in NHTSA campaign number: 10V-457 and dealer refused to make repair. The excessive shaking in the steering wheel has caused my SRS (safety restraint system) to kick a code that says my steering wheel air bag may not deploy in the event of a crash. SRS lite stays on. Hyundai dealer refused to make repair on NHTSA campaign number 13V-113. I currently have a piece of folded cardboard zip tied to my brake switch. Car exhibiting issues relating to NHTSA campaign number 14V-434 even after having the dealer use their (clip) remedy.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jul 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel shook violently without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,808.

- Long View, TX, USA

Mar 022015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was parked, a clicking sound was heard when the steering wheel was turned. In addition, while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel vibrated severely and the clicking sound became severe. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column intermediate shaft universal joint connector was improperly assembled and needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000(steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Oct 152015

Sonata

Every time I hit a small bump in the road my steering makes a loud rattling noise. Even if my car is sitting still, if I turn the wheel to the left it makes a clunking noise. This has been an ongoing problem that I feel needs to be addressed.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 172015

Sonata

When driving the vehicle on even a slightly bumpy road, the components inside the steering wheel rattle violently. There seems to be a lot of play in it and as time goes on, it has gotten worse. Sometimes there is clicking when making a turn and always when turning the wheel while the car is stationary. I spoke to someone in the service dept at my local dealer and was told it was a known issue but Hyundai will not cover the cost of repair. In researching this issue I also see where there had been a previous recall on this problem but it has since closed. We bought the car used after the fact. I think it's kind of shady that if Hyundai is having recurring issues on the same makes and models even years after the original recall, then maybe they ought to issue another. My VIN # may not have been included in the original recall, but obviously they haven't adequately addressed the issue to prevent it from happening to future vehicles. It also seems that I'm not the only 2011 Sonata owner who's dealing with it. Makes me wonder why there isn't a class action going yet.

- Moreland, GA, USA

Sonata

At 73,000 miles my steering wheel is making a clicking noise when turning the wheel. Also if I go over a bump. I contact Hyundai and there was a recall but my car manufacturer date was 2 months past the recall. I think that is wrong after reading several other complaints regarding this same problem.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 152015

Sonata

The vehicles steering wheel violently shakes at interstate speeds (65+mph). The vehicle also started making lound noises from the steering column when I turn or travel over bumps, even how minor the bumps on the roadway may be. Mileage is 41K.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Feb 012015

Sonata

Steering column clicks loudly when the steering wheel moves left or right. It does not matter if the vehicle is moving or in park. The problem occurred about 100,000 miles. The vehicle is no longer under warranty, and I have noticed there are lots of other cars out there with the same problem. Also, when travelling at a high rate of speed and the brakes are applied the steering wheel shakes violently. No, it doesn't need an alignment.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Oct 082015

Sonata

On 10/8/2015 as I was driving my car the steering became very loose and is now making a loud knocking sound in the steering location due to this I was almost hit by another car because the steering wheel would not turn completely unless I made a sharp turn to the steering wheel

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 092015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the steering wheel shook uncontrollably without warning. The contact also stated that an abnormal noise could be heard while the steering wheel was turned. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000.

- Kenly, NC, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the steering wheel was loose and there was a knocking noise when turning the steering wheel. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Sonata

My 2011 Sonata was repaired in Oct. 2010 due to recall 097 steering issues. I am having steering issues again such as loose steering and rattling noise in steering column every time car is in motion. October 6, 2015 dealership says I need a new steering column at the cost of $1220. Recall 097 states steering issues could result in property damage, injury and death.

- Pine Hill, NJ, USA

Sep 212015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that a clicking noise was present when turning the steering wheel in either direction. When driving over 72 mph, the steering wheel would began to shake. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Sep 022014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, an abnormal noise was heard from the steering wheel. The air bag warning light was illuminated. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering coupler was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 113,000.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Sep 032015

Sonata

Over a 2 day period, I noticed a gradually worsening clicking noise coming from the steering column while driving...when turning to the left and right. It happened at highway speeds and neighborhood speeds....anytime the steering column was in motion. The clicking noise also happened when the car was in idle and the steering wheel was moved in either direction. The steering wheel acted as if it was catching on something. Additionally, after driving over a bump in the road, the steering column would make a loud banging noise...as if the steering column was shaking internally. The steering felt loose. The dealership replaced a $1.99 flexible steering coupler + $223.89 labor. (not covered by warranty). They told me it was a very common problem, possibly caused by the high heat in Texas...and the replacement part is manufactured with improved material. I have retained the old coupler as evidence...it appears to be a cog shaped (plasic?) wheel with the cogs partially melted. The failure mileage was 19,842.

- Waco, TX, USA