CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 22 of 43)

Mar 012015

Sonata

Was driving down the road hit a small piece of black ice and lost control couldn't recover due to excessive play in steering wheel. After filling claim and getting car repaired steering has got worse. Did resarch there is a recall on Hyundai sanatas for this issue but is not covered on my car many others are having this issue and are still not covered on any recall.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Jun 182015

Sonata

When this problem started initially it was a little noise that you can barely hear whenever the steering was turn to the right or to the left, but as the days goes by the situation keep getting worst, the noise could be heard a little louder. I went to the web and I found a recall for the 2011 Hyundai Sonata because of issues with the steering, I called Hyundai customer service in order to get information about the recall and they told me that my car was not part of the recall just because my car was made about a month after the date on the recall. They said the recall was for Sonata built by December 11, 2009 to September 10, 2010. My car was built on October 6, 2010. I explained that my car was having the same issue as the cars on the recall and my car was also made in the same factory in Alabama as was the other cars on the recall. They told me to go the dealership where I bought the car. I went to the dealership but they want to charge $165 to diagnose the car before fixing it and then charge to fix it. I think my car also have the same problem with the steering as the others because it's less than a months and that's not enough time for them to fix the issue they have. The option that I have is to address it with you. Thanks for the help.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Aug 132015

Sonata

I having notice when accelerating up to about 25-35 miles per hour there is a consant rattling sound coming from my steering column. Also when I hit a small or large bump in the road there is a loud clicking sound coming from the steering wheel like it is about to fall off. In the last few days I have notice when I trying to brighten or dim my lights at night, the slightest touch causes the lights to flicker on the inside of the car and the lights to go out momentarily. It seems what ever is affecting my steering column is affecting my lights as well. It is getting very dangerous to drive and this is my only source of transportation.

- Thomasville, AL, USA

Mar 012015

Sonata

I have noticed a gradually worsening rattling noise while driving. The noise is coming from the steering column, and the steering wheel vibrates intermittently. It happens on the freeway when driving 75mph and it happens on surface streets driving the posted speed limit. The noise also happens when the car is idle and you move the steering wheel in either direction. The steering wheel acts as if it is catching on something. This seems to be a common issue that is reported on Hyundai sites, but it has not been reported on this site. Please look into this and see if it is a safety issue that merits a recall.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 312014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at 35 mph, there was an abnormal clicking sound in the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front driver side axle was fractured and the steering wheel intermediate shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The contact stated that the front driver side axle was replaced three times and the front passenger side axle was repaired once. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 57,779. Updated 10/06/15

- Downey, CA, USA

Aug 102015

Sonata

The steering on my car is wobbly and when I turn the steering wheel, I can hear clicking noises. It has progressed over the past couple of weeks. I took my car to a dealership and was told that the noise is happening because the coupler needs to be replaced. Apparently, the coupler needs to be repaired because of wear and tear. Come on now...it's a 2011 with a little more than 62K miles. The coupler is currently being replaced at a dealership. You don't expect to have this kind of problem on a 2011 vehicle.

- Ft Walton Beach, FL, USA

Aug 212015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering column made an abnormal noise. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The failure mileage was 61,000.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Jul 012015

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle emitted an abnormal noise. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic or dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 09/25/15 updated 10/07/15 updated 12/01/15 the consumer stated the steering made a clicking sound when she wasn't driving and a rattling sound when she was driving. Also, the traction lights illuminated. The rattling sound started at 25 mph. Updated 01/15/16.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Aug 112015

Sonata

I notice some play and a knocking noise in the steering wheel, along with a knocking /rattling sounds in the steering column area when driving on bumpy roads. This issue may have been present for the last few weeks and as of yet has not gotten any worst. This was mention to a coworker of mine who was a previous Sonata owner and informed me that Hyundai had a recall on this issue. Checked for recalls with VIN and none were found. Other then for a certain year previous. From researching on line this seems to be more wide spread problem then Hyundai is leading to believe. And no one says how dangerous this may be, if lost of complete steering is possible?

- Auburndale, FL, USA

Jul 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the steering wheel became loose and a rattling noise was heard as all the warning lights flickered. In addition, the contact mentioned that a loud bang noise was heard when the gear was shifted from park to drive. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 89,651.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Aug 122015

Sonata 4-cyl

About two to three weeks started noticing a crackling noise as I am turning the steering wheel either to the left or to the right at low speed as the time went by about two weeks the noise gradually increased and now I have also noticed a rattling noise coming from the steering column and getting trough a bump on the road. I am ware of the two recall campaigns that you have listed on your website but my car VIN # is not listed. Called Hyundai and they said is nothing they can do but at this time I am fearful for my family and me because I believe the car is no longer safe to drive. Just to let you know I have made a appointment for tomorrow with a local Hyundai car dealership. Thank you for your concern and attention.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Aug 202015

Sonata

While driving this car I heard a popping noise in the steering, I called Hyundai they sent me to have the car checked not only on this but found out there were 6 other recalls when I went to pick up my car they told me it is a mdps coupling in the steering column and not covered, the rep told me that this is an ongoing issue with Hyundai and that the part is on back order for several other vehicles and that it would cost me 400 to repair, since this is an ongoing problem with this year model car why are they not doing this as a recall, I was told this is hazardous situation and could cause a life threatening accident really " so I guess Hyundai is waiting for someone to be killed " I am beyond disappointed with this and am afraid to drive my car now ! they need to be held responsible !

- Rolesville, NC, USA

Aug 222015

Sonata

When turning the steering wheel left to right, an audible mechanical clanking noise is heard in the steering column system. Additionally, you can feel feedback in the steering wheel when the clanking noise is occurring. This defect is best found when turning the steering wheel quickly to the left and then to the right, or vice versa. Took car to Firestone today to find problem, and was told it was the "steering column intermediate shaft." This part is a recall item listed for this year/make/model. However, my VIN doesn't qualify as part of this recall. Obviously this defect is wider spread than currently listed, and definitely needs to include my VIN car. Note: I work as an aviation safety inspector for the faa (fg-1825-13), so I work in the same job position but for airplanes instead. Thankfully with my mechanical background, I was able to figure out there was a safety issue before a possible accident and loss of control occurred.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 142014

Sonata

I was having problems with my steering shaking and rattling, was waiting for my appointment at the dealership to resolve the problem as I noticed was on a recall NHTSA #10V457000 & 10V426000, dealer stated they were completed 05/ 2010. That I would have to pay $500 to fix the problem again. I was in process of transfering back to ft worth. Due to limeted budget could not fix the problem.. several days later I was involved in an incident where a person had contacted my vehicle from the front. I managed to cause this possibly fatal front end collision to be a glancing blow. But not before having problems operating the vehicle's steering capability. The shaking and rattling in the steering wheel which they (dealership) said was corrected; come also with play in the steering it self the steering wheel is turned...left or right. Due to this delay the seconds caused contact to still be made where as if was corrected with a adequate replacement part could possibly been avoided. Now am told I have to pay for this to be fixed even though is a prior recal; that is still defective. Mind you the part is $500. So is this a matter of once a recall always a recall. At $500 a pop. Waranty is 6 yrs / 60,000"? (not totally sure on that") so is my responsbility after that" may as well sell. Is it the automotive S industry to have consumers lease instead of buy...and parts industry and manufacturing industry to capitalize off of defective parts...by reselling these defectice parts over and over??????????"

- Ft Worth, TX, USA

Aug 122015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel became loose. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Apr 212014

Sonata

Steering column recall (campaign 97) was identified as performed by Hyundai on November 12, 2010. While having repairs done to 2011 Hyundai Sonata, the mechanic identified that the car had a recall which was characterized by the steering problems/shaking identified. Hyundai was contracted and they scheduled an appointment to have the car diagnosed stating their policy... "once a recall / always a recall." I really did not really like it when I was told that if the problem was not the steering column recall, I would be charged for the diagnosis. I really did have a problem when I was told that they would not tell me what the charges may be. Compounding this, the rims have corroded to the point where they are almost completely black. This has been contributed to be corrosion of some sort by three independent inspectors. When I asked Hyundai mfg. & ES Hyundai for repair/replacement under the corrosion warranty, I was told this is not covered under their corrosion warranty. My repeated requests to have a service manager/technician to look at the rims and help explain what the problem is have been repeatedly ignored. Why can't these people say what they mean and do what they say?

- Summerdale , AL, USA

Aug 202015

Sonata

Steering wheel has loud noise when turning wheel. Also when turning steering wheel there is play in turn before wheels actually turn. Dealership could not repair because parts are on back order. Was told car is safe to drive. Dealership will call when it is my turn, others ahead of me, to repair. Out of warranty by almost two months.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Aug 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel was making an abnormal noise and a strong vibration. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 10V426000 (steering) and 10V457000 (steering). The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V434000 (power train). The contact could not confirm if the recall repair part was available to schedule the appointment. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 116,944.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Aug 072015

Sonata

I have 2011 Sonata gls I bought brand new in 2011 (I am the only owner). The reason for this letter is that I have a frequent and increasing clicking sound on my steering wheel when I'm driving and it very frequently comes and gets louder on a slight movement of the steering wheel when I'm driving.

- Ponte Vedra, FL, USA

Jul 072015

Sonata

While driving on the highway and attempting to brake the steering wheel shook rapidly. The steering wheel makes a click when in park and I move the steeping wheel slightly off center to the left or the right. When driving at any speed and go over bumps on the road the steering wheel makes a clunk noise. The steering feels loose when driving on the highway at speeds of 60+. this is an issue that needs to be recalled. When I spoke to the dealer they said that my car doesn't have any recalls on the steering! but found right here on this website, shows the tsb#10-01-32. We purchased this car in 2011 with the full waranty intact from crain Kia, which also owns crain Hyundai the vehicle was a dealership demo vehicle. After running a VIN search on this website, it has not been inspected or repaired. This is unsafe and puts the lives of not just the owners/drivers of this vehicle but other drivers on the road as well in severe danger. At this time, if nothing is done, we will pursue legal action against Hyundai North America and crain Hyundai / Kia. For their lack of professionalism, selling "unsafe" cars to the public! please reopen this case immediately and have them repair these darn cars. Sincerely, us soldier and family

- Cabot, AR, USA