CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 27 of 43)

Nov 212014

Sonata

As I was driving at about 40 mph the car made an electrical noise and the steering wheel began shaking violently. I fought the shaking wheel to pull the car over and turned it off. The steering wheel continued to shake violently for about 5 minutes with the key out of the ignition. It was exactly like this video: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=kzabdamqaps I took it to the dealership who replaced the steering column intermediate shaft as part of a recall and they told me I need a new steering column which is over $1,500 dollars as it was "not associated" with the recall and was not under warranty.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Nov 032014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while turning the steering wheel, a clicking noise emitted from the steering column and the steering wheel became very loose making the steering unstable while operating the vehicle. The vehicle was not yet diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was informed that the VIN was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number 10V457000 (steering). The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Apr 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Hyundai Sonata on Dec 15,2013 from a Hyundai dealer. In April I noticed that my vehicle was pulling to the right side. I took it to a different location and after several attempts of them correcting the issue they called me and told me they could not figure out what was wrong. I then took it to the Hyundai dealer and they replaced a sensor and told me it was done. Again my car will not stay in the lane. It pulls so much to the right and is very unsafe. I took it in again and they are telling me it is just the alignment. They even stated that someone else in my house hit something. I looked online and saw that there are numerous complaints of cars pulling to left or right. I was told there was a recall campaign 927 but they only did an alignment on December 23,2011 and nothing else was done but then it was closed, indicating that it had been fixed. They want me to pay for the alignment and told me my tires are bad because of how it drives. Hyundai is aware of the issues and gives me the run around.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 042014

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle makes a clicking noise when the steering wheel is turned in either direction especially when parking. It can also be herd and felt when driving over uneven surfaces. There's a looseness in the steering that is getting progressively worse over time. I was told by the dealer that the steering flex coupling needs to be replaced but it's not covered by any recalls. During my research of this issue I discovered an alarming amount of 2011 Hyundai Sonata owners experiencing the exact same issue which tells me this has to be a defect. Hyundai needs to issue an immediate recall on these steering flex couplings before someone gets seriously injured or killed. This is a very dangerous situation that needs to be addressed. The proof needed to avoid tragedy is just an internet search away.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 132014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while making a turn, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering) but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Spring, TX, USA

Oct 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was informed by several co-workers that there were recalls for our car, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The problems that are affecting my 2011 Hyundai Sonata are: Exterior lighting: Brake lights: Switches, brake light and steering: Gear box: Shaft sector. The only recall that the Hyundai dealer honored was from campaign 123. Campaign 110 and 122 will not be honored due to the manufacture date of my vehicle which is March 28, 2011. If my car is having the same problems as the other 2011 Hyundai Sonatas why can't my vehicle be repaired under the recall. I feel that this is unfair to consumers of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata due to a manufacturing date. Please give me some type of remedy for this matter!!! had I known about the business practices of Hyundai I would have never purchased this vehicle!!!

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle was making a clicking noise every time the car is steering in either direction. It's even worst if it is drive in an uneven terrain. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired because it was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V457000 or #10V426000. For both campaigns, the last date of manufacturing is 09/10/2010 and my vehicle was manufactured on 10/18/2010. In addition, buttons on the right side of the steering wheel are not working.the approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 242014

Sonata 4-cyl

Driving on a busy street, turned down a residential street and the steering wheel started shaking violently. We have own the car since June, 2013 and this has been an ongoing problem. The will be a beep, then the eps and traction control will show on the dash board and then the steering wheel will start to shake violently. My husband shut off the vehicle and it violently shake for 20 mins. At times when this problem occurred in the past the car would be on but we did not even leave the drive way. The first time it did it me was 4 months after purchasing the vehicle and I had my child in the back seat taking her to school when the steering wheel started shaking violently, I was in the middle of a busy intersection and I couldn't get out because I was not strong enough to handle the steering wheel, and we almost got hit. Each time (more than 5 times now) we were either stopped or going less than 25 miles per hour, the eps and traction will light, and the steering wheel will shake violently anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes. There was a time when my husband was driving in our small town when the eps light was on but my husband had no power steering. The steering wheel didn't shake.

- Maize, KS, USA

Oct 222014

Sonata 4-cyl

Have replaced brake lights 5 times due to someome telling me they were out. Was stop by a cop today because both brake lights he said we're out. Why are these lights burning out so fast" automotive guy said put some grease on bulb then place them in. I did and they still went out"

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering wheel developed noise with turning and more free-play in steering wheel. I took car to dealer who replaced coupling seal. According to dealer, this has been a common problem that can lead to significant steering problems.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Oct 042014

Sonata

I have noticed a click or slight knock coming from the steering when turning wheel left or right at low speeds, especially when parking. Over uneven surfaces there is shaking or shutter in the steering column also. These conditions seem to be worsening. I will be scheduling for service.

- Monticello, FL, USA

Sep 182014

Sonata 4-cyl

There is something going on with the steering wheel or column there is loud popping noise in steering wheel you can hear it in and outside of car. When you turn left or right. I have not had it inspect end yet just bought vehicle haven't had it a year and have had several repairs so far.

- Saraland, AL, USA

Oct 172014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering column bushing becomes frayed and chips/breaks cause loud popping/clunking noise going over uneven payment and loose steering conditions. I am told this would ultimately cause failed steering ability. Many reports of exactly same issue are being posted on Hyundai forums.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Sep 082014

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering wheel feels like there is significant backlash when moving it from left to right (especially at low speeds). This is also associated with a clicking sound. In addition, when hitting a bump in the road, it sounds like something has come loose in the steering column. I am taking the vehicle in for service on October 16 to investigate.

- Fulshear, TX, USA

Sep 152014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel when driving or making a turn. The noise was heard at various speeds. The dealer stated that the steering wheel assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Oxford, MS, USA

Sep 222014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds over bumpy roads, the steering wheel became lose and there was a consistent clicking noise. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,500.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Oct 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

This vehicle has been having issues with steering since around roughly October 2012. The vehicle pulls left or right on most occasions. I have had this vehicle aligned at the Hyundai dealership and at tire kingdom a number of times. The steering still goes to the left or right even after the alignments were done. Every time I take it to Hyundai they say nothing is wrong with the car and blame it on alignments most of the time. The last time I went to Hyundai I complained about the steering still pulling left or right even after I had just aligned it with them. The only conclusion they can come to was that "I need to keep my hands on the steering wheel to keep it straight" this vehicle year and model has been known in the past to have issues with the steering going left or right on its own. I have taken it to the dealership a number of times and finally decided to put a claim in on the vehicle through they're corporate office. I feel this vehicle is a danger to myself, my family and others. A car should be able to drive straight on a road even if you only let the car go for a second. I have another vehicle that doesn't have this issue at all. I have documentation on the times I have taken the vehicle in and expressed that this car was not safe and have only been turned away. Iv expressed that iv felt at times that while the car is pulling I have to use a certain amount of strength to keep the car straight, this should not be the case with any vehicle especially only being 3 years old. Hyundai doesn't feel like there is an issue with my car and I completely disagree, there have been other cases with Hyundai customers that have bought this year, make and model vehicle and have had the same issue. I would like this to be looked into before an accident occurs due to this steering issue.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Sep 172014

Sonata 4-cyl

Brought car in to dealer for recalls for brake tube and shift lever. I recently noticed a knock and what felt like a slippage in the steering wheel. I brought it to the attention of the service rep and she diagnosed it right away. Since I was past the warranty mileage I brought up the earlier steering issue. She assured me that Hyundai would probably cover it. To the dealer and Hyundai's credit they did. The dealer replaced what is identified on my receipt as 1-56315-2K000 - fff flexible coupling. They coded the cause as "63557 falling apart replace steering coupler". I saw two other complaints on this same issue. All 2011 Sonata's should be inspected.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Sonata 4-cyl

Car taken to dealer for recall work campaign 122 brake tube and campaign 123 transaxle shift lever. Dealer representative inspected car and notified owners that the steering coupler was failing and needed to be replaced. Representative showed us the part and stated that the material that it was made of was "too soft" and that the part would fail and leave the car "unsteerable" during operation. We authorized the repair of the steering flexible coupling part 56315-2K000-fff a $4.41 part that required $270 in labor to replace. This repair is not covered by Hyundai warranty. A short search on the internet revealed that many other Sonata owners are noticing the same defect in the steering. As owner of this car we are able to have this repair made for us and the motoring public's safety. My fear is that other Hyundai Sonata owners will ignore or not notice the clunk of the steering wheels operation before this part fails tragically.

- Myakka City, FL, USA

Sep 102014

Sonata

I recently took my vehicle back to Hyundai in newport news, va and was told because my vehicle is out of warranty that I would have to pay over $500 to have my steering coupling replaced when I first brought this to their attention in 2010-2011. My car was build in May 2010 and falls under the safety recall but because my VIN was not part of the recall I am not covered which is unacceptable and should not hinder the life of myself or my daughter. I hear cranking and ticking every time I turn my wheel and I have to drive extra careful due to fear of my steering wheel becoming locked. This is unacceptable and unsafe. I contacted Hyundai motor America and they said I can pay upfront and file a claim for reimbursement that takes 4-6 weeks to approve or deny based on what they feel I should receive if I receive anything at all. We spend thousands of dollars in repairs only to be let down by this company.

- Hampton, VA, USA