Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 27 of 39)

Feb 202013

Sonata 4-cyl

We have been having several problems where we have been stranded because the vehicle will not start. It first happened in October 2011, when we first bought the car, and it was fixed. Now the vehicle would not start, making starter noises. Roadside assistance came, played with the transmission shifter, and got the car to start. It has pushbutton start. Yesterday, 3/14/13, the car was loaded up for a weekend trip, and the car would not start again made the same noise, however, the steering wheel failed to lock, and there was no way to shift the transmission. They had to take the vehicle to the dealership by flatbed. I am afraid the vehicle will stall out during driving, and since the powersteering doesn't work or lock appropriately, and the transmission cannot be changed, it's a severe safety threat. What does one do to shift the transmission or steer the vehicle when there is no key, but a pushbutton start" many problems noted of this type on the internet: Should be investigated: Https://"sourceid=navclient&ie=utf-8&rlz=1T4skpt_enus424us424&Q=2011+Hyundai+Sonata+push+button+start+problems.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 032012

I have several complaints regarding this vehicle. I have had this car two years and about two months and have had nothing but problems (purchased brand new) -- I've had to get a new motor (engine caught on fire (electrical/smoking) while driving down the beltway), replaced tire rod, need 4 brand new tires, transmission slipping, and other electrical problems with cooling/heating system (the blower does not work for air pointed in the floor direction), strong smell of gas fumes inside of the vehicle. The gas mileage gauge is inaccurate -- I get no where near the highway nor city miles. The gas meter is not registering. Parts on the electrical system have been randomly replaced. I have had all schedule services on my vehicle as well as extras such as special replacement filters, etc. I have also had problems with the breaking system. I believe I've purchased a complete lemon. The current mileage on the vehicle is 27700 miles. There is no way I should be having this many problems as frequently as I have been having. The car's steering pulls to the left as well. I should not have to replace tires only after two years of driving after putting nitrogen as advised. I've noticed a noise when turning the steering to the left as well as if the left tire rod or axle wants to break -- weird feeling turn the car. The alarm system is failing to lock all of the doors -- only the drivers door. -- dealers solution...purchase a new one "?? really"

- Forestville, MD, USA

Mar 042013

I just bought a certified pre-owned 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited. Pretty much since the first time I took it on the interstate, the car wants to drift, mainly to the left but sometimes to the right. There are several complaints about this on the web. I took it back to the dealer and they looked at it. They said the tire pressure was the problem. It is less pronounced pulling to the left but now its all over the place. This vehicle will not track straight and that is a dangerous thing imo. I do a lot of interstate driving.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 182010

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact noticed that the steering wheel began pulling to the left. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the vehicle would have to have an alignment performed. After the alignment was performed the failure continued. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Dec 172012

Sonata 4-cyl

The car is a year old. As the passenger was turning left traveling approx 25-30mph the car started to shake violently and then the wheel came off the front passenger side. The control arm assembly failed allowing the whole wheel/drive assembly to come off slamming the front right side of the car down, yanking the car toward oncoming traffic.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Nov 152012

Sonata 4-cyl

I had this car from Feb 2011 to present, and the car is constantly drifting left. I almost hit another car when it happened. After this incident I switched out my tires (due to outer wear) and had 2 alignments performed by licensed technicians. The car still drifts left. The technician recommended that the car should be looked at by a body repair shop.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Jun 172011

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle pulls to right side all the time brought to dealer did recall for pulling front struts wheel alignment replaced L/front strut again and wheel alignment car still pulls to right.

- Port Monmouth, NJ, USA

May 212012

The passage seat shakes when the car reaches 70mph. Since bringing it to the dealer in may it has been there 2 more times, the second time they actually saw what they call a vibration. Now the passenger seat, drivers seat, steering wheel, and console all shake, not vibrate at 40mph. Hyundai has had my car for 3 days and every time I call for a status check they have some excuse. This is why I did not list the VIN number because the car is not in my possession. Just an fyi: There is no problem mechanically with the wheels, tire rod, etc. Everything has been checked but the car still shakes.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Jun 142011

Sonata 4-cyl

From the initial test drive I noticed a pull in the steering. It was mentioned and I was told that it was a simple alignment issue. After purchased I asked about the steering. Unfortunately, (I was told) the dealership did not have the road force balance machine for them to properly test the alignment. I waited till November before this was available. The 2011 Sonata wandered the road and pulled constantly to one side or the other (with no rhyme or reason). At one point it would pull so hard the vehicle would "V-line" off road once letting go of steering wheel. After several repair attempts (replaced struts, camber bolt kits, front tires and several alignments) the pull was still there. There was nothing more Hyundai can do and I was told "that's just how the car is". I have gone through two arbitration hearings with the BBB and Hyundai still continues to say "there's nothing more we can do, the car is performing as it is intended to". negative Hyundai!!! the car still pulls and wanders as it pleases and I have had sway bar links break during normal driving conditions. Hyundai is saying I have hit an "animal" and the impact has bent both of the sway bar links and broke one on the right front. All though there is no body damage from this animal and no scrapes on the undercarriage. I never hit anything in the car and feel this breakage is due to added pressure on suspension/steering parts from adjustment made by Hyundai to "try" and get car to drive straight. My warranty has been denied and Hyundai refuses to make the repairs. So don't let the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty let you make the decision when buying, when they can deny your warranty anytime they want with any made up excuse. I have been fighting for well over 8 months for a refund on this car and I'm still fighting!!

- Port Republic, VA, USA

Jan 242011

Sonata 4-cyl

Car has pulled to the left since it was first bought. It has been in for numerous alignments, eps reprogramming, and single strut replacement. The repairs have made the problem less severe, but the car must be driven vigilantly or it will pull out of the lane. Driving the car on the highway is fatiguing due to constant course correction. While primarily a left pull issue, the car's steering is imprecise and wanders, sometimes even to the right. Hyundai really got this wrong and has a corporate wall of silence around the issue, refusing to acknowledge it. My latest communication from them after an "engineer" drove the car reads, "the distract parts service manager [dpsm] is highly trained and experienced with Hyundai vehicles. The dpsm's decision is final and we are unable to give this matter further consideration." Very disappointing that there has been no recall activity around this safety issue.

- Terryville, CT, USA

Apr 202011

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, she took one hand off the steering wheel and the steering wheel begin to pull to the right. The contact allowed another driver to operate the vehicle and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they stated that the vehicle needed a alignment and that the tires were defective. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 7,000.

- Lynwood, CA, USA

Apr 162012

Sonata 4-cyl

The car has been pulling to the right from day 1 and still is pulling to the right. I had a wheel alignment done at 8,000 miles and another at approx 21,000 miles. Dealer keeps telling me that the car is tracking straight, however when I drive at any speed the car pulls to right. I have to keep the steering wheel pulled to the left to compensate. The tech at the dealer told me that Hyundai recommends a wheel alignment every 12,000 miles. I have looked through the owners manual no recommendation found. I have called Hyundai with no satisfaction other then to try another dealer. Getting very frustrated. The company knows there is a problem but will not acknowledge keeps giving the run around.

- Schwenksville, PA, USA

Jan 012011

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the steering wheel pulled to the left while driving 45 mph or more. The steering wheel had to be held with force in order to keep the vehicle under control. The dealer test drove the vehicle, but was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 5 and the current mileage was 19,000.

- West Salem , OH, USA

Jan 252012

Sonata 4-cyl

Service campaign 927 confirmed left pull completed straight trak installed struts. Alignment. Update eps. Still pulls left on crowned roads. Steering light and wanders at highway speeds. Called dealer and was told "it is in spec and to contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs". they will not fix. It is now worse than before they tried to fix. I have contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs two times with no response.

- Whitehall, OH, USA

Jun 132011

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle continuously pulled into the left direction. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer seven different times for the same problem. The manufacturer was notified and a filed service engineer inspected the vehicle; however they could not determine the cause of failure. The manufacturer replaced all four tires as a goodwill. The failure persisted after the replacement of the tires. The vehicle has not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 35.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Oct 152011

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving between the speeds of 5 mph and 60 mph, he would have to forcibly keep the steering wheel from turning in the opposite direction. The vehicle would not drive straight and would constantly pull toward the right or left. The dealer was notified and stated that there was nothing they could do to remedy the failure. The failure and current mileages were 21,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lamarkque, TX, USA

Aug 012011

Sonata 6-cyl

The Sonata pulls to the left. I took it in and told dealer I thought it was car, not the road -- but told me it was fine. Took it in again because it pulls hard to left going straigt to ditch if you let go of steering wheel, they said they adjusted it 2 points and it was not pulling anymore. Left dealership and it still pulls hard to left.

- Chelsea, OK, USA

May 092011

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle tracks to the left. Despite numerous attempts at fixing the issue the dealers (more than one) can't seem to fix this. Hyundai have issued a recall on it (Sonata-TR01) yet this 'fix' doesn't rectify the problem.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Jul 012011

Vehichle pulls badly to the left if steering wheel is released. A constant pressure to the right must be mainained to keep the vehicje in it's lane

- Bellmawr, NJ, USA

May 272010

Sonata 4-cyl

I bought a 2011 Sonata in May 2010. This car has pulled to the left from the first day I bought it. Nothing seems to work. It has been aligned on several occasions with no success.

- Union City, TN, USA