CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 28 of 43)

Aug 012014

Sonata

There is a loud clicking sound when the steering wheel is turned to the left or the right. It started subtle (I.e. not as loud ). then within a few weeks, the clicking noise is very noticeable. It is loud, and it occurs every time it is driven. It occurs in park, at low mph - at higher mph, as of now, it seems to be the more subtle sound. After researching, my 2011 model is not included in a recall that over 100,000 2011 Sonatas are in. Hyundai needs to include all 2011 Sonata's in the recall. It is unfair car manufacturers do not include all models, when now it is a known issue with this vehicle (official complaints have been made by people like myself). Research shows people are repairing at their own expense - and also many cars are in terrible accidents due to this problem.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

May 152014

Sonata

The steering wheel rattles anytime it goes over any bums, dips, center dividers or any imperfection on the road. There is a recall till September 10th, 2011...my vehicle is less than 20 days from the recall date and has the same identical issue. The recall is still affecting other vehicles close to the September 10 the, 2010. I truly need help for this, I am a single mother with no child support from the father, I can't afford to fix this issue. I am under stress everyday for the safety of my vehicle. Please, I am begging for help and would appreciate if you can investigate how close in time the make of my vehicle is to the recall date. There must be a connection to this recall, considering the fact that my vehicle was produced within 20 days of this recall pertaining to replacement of the steering wheel column; universal joint shaft. Please help me, I am pleading for help. I appreciate you taking time to read this and would truly appreciate all you assistance for the safety of my child and myself.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 142014

Sonata

Car steering make clicking/clunking noise when steering wheel is turned from left to right with an 5-10 degree play in the steering wheel. Noise appears to becoming from the steering column joints. There is also a loud clicking noise like there is a loose part in the steering column when going over bumps. This noise emits directly from the steering wheel housing.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 282014

Sonata

Steering column began making noise when turning either direction. There was looseness in the column that progressively became more pronounced over time. On September 4, 2014, I contacted the local Hyundai service center by phone and was told that my VIN was not covered in the published steering column-related recall for the 2011 Sonata.

- Saint Gabriel, LA, USA

May 012014

Sonata

Starting May 2014, the steering column on my 2011 Sonata started making clicking noise when it was turned left or right. The noise is getting louder over time. Right before the clicking sound, I could feel the steering was losing traction... like it was detached. This happens whenever I turned the steering wheel right or left like making turns. I took it to a Hyundai dealer for the steering column problem; and I was told the 2011 steering column recall work had been performed on my vehicle in 2011. The dealer informed me the steering column needed to be replaced and the cost would be my responsibility. My Sonata has about 76K miles. Based on my internet searches, there appears to be many complaints about 2011 Sonata steering column problem. This needs to be addressed by Hyundai before real serious accidents occur.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

With car running looseness in steering column. There is tsb on it but if out of warranty customer is responsible.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 152013

Sonata 4-cyl

The gear shift got stuck and move out of park.brake lights does not work when pressing break peddle, which resently accured, that is to it brake lights.also four months ago I begin to have problems with my brakes.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Aug 122014

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering column feels as though it will fall off any moment and the noise is clunking and rattles terribly when going over bumps or any slight moment. This is a huge safety issue and could cause a fatality.

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Aug 152014

Sonata 4-cyl

I brought my 2011 Sonata into the local dealership for an oil change. The service associate explained that my steering column would need to be replaced as it was making a clunking noise when turned left or right. I inquired as to what would cause this and they did not know. They wrote up an estimate to have the steering wheel and column replaced. They instructed me to get this repaired as quickly as possible as this was a safety hazard. If this is indeed a safety problem I think that Hyundai needs to recall these models and fix them.

- Hahira, GA, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when making a left or right turn, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was confirmed that the failure was related to NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering) however, the VIN was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 10/7/14

- Boynton Beach , FL, USA

Jul 192014

Sonata 4-cyl

When driving the car, there is a clicking/rattling noise coming from the steering wheel. Any bumps or shaking to the car causes the noise.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Jul 212014

Sonata 4-cyl

Loose steering column shaft detected by clunking when turning or going over small bumps. Notified that there is an existing recall for this issue on vehicles manufactured between 11 Dec 2009 and 10 Sep 2010. This vehicle was manufactured 12 Oct 2010.

- Rapid City , SD, USA

May 122014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated while driving there was a popping sound in the steering column and the vehicle veered to the left. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Milledgeville, GA, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata

Very load clicking sound when moving steering wheel right or left. See video https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=M0ltckljvj4 I know they had a recall on the steering and suspension. It was recall serviced but this has just gotten worse. The sound is progressively louder.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jul 152014

Sonata

I am still noticing issues with steering I hear knocking in steering wheel when turning and sometimes it shakes as if it is loose. I have taken vehicle to have it fixed per recall, but there still appears to be issues.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 232011

Sonata

When I put car in drive and start to drive off it comes completely out of gear, I then have to power off car and then restart and it may work or I may have same issue a few times before it goes in gear. This has cause my car to stall, jerk when it does go in gear, steering wheel shakes when driving, and check engine light has come on. Separate issue is the front bumper is poorly made if you barely tap anything when parking the clamps break and bumper starts to come apart.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 252014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the steering column shook and made a rattling noise. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,300 and the current mileage was 15,900. Updated 8/28/14 updated 09/16/2014

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 292013

Sonata 4-cyl

Popping noise when turning and backing up. Noise is been heard after you park and then start up again when backing up. Also when turn in my yard. This has been an ongoing problem. I have carried it back for the same reason several times and it has not been fixed.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Jun 012014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, a loud noise emitted inside and outside of the vehicle. The vehicle began to travel out of lane independently and the steering wheel vibrated violently. The vehicle was driven to a parking lot where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 61,570.

- Petal , MS, USA

Jun 032014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering rattle over bumps and washboard type surfaces. Vehicle sounds like a steering component inside the steering column is broken. Hyundai acknowledges there is a problem but refuses to cover repairs under factory or aftermarket warranty which they also sold me.

- San Antonio, TX, USA