CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 32 of 42)

Feb 252011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T pulls to left at normal speeds during normal driving. This is not a "torque-steer" issue (the tendency of front-wheel drive cars to veer under acceleration due to uneven torque to the front wheels). Even on cruise control, if you don't apply constant "right" correction, the car will veer left. The crown of the road does not stop this, nor is it a wind issue. If you let the wheel go, the car will change lanes to the left (or veer into oncoming traffic!) within 10 seconds. This is an extremely dangerous condition. I have had the car in the shop 3 times and while they are very aware of the issue, have no solution. This is unacceptable and a significant public safety hazard. Please initiate a formal inquiry. Same issues as other complaints, engineers (2 of them) said car is in spec and fine, pulling getting worse with miles, 4400., they act like I am making this up every time, dealer that I got vehicle from gave up, and will not address this dangerous issue anymore.

- Warren, OH, USA

May 202011

Sonata 4-cyl

New 2011 Hyundai Sonata purchased 5-20-2011. Safety issue is erratic undependable steering. Current mileage as of 8-18-2011 is 3020, 800 miles of which have been for 4 visits to dealer(s) to try to fix with no satisfactory result. Originally the car pulled hard right. On 4th visit Hyundai factory field engineer moved tires around which reduced the right pull. Now car pulls erratically sometimes left, sometimes right but requires constant force on steering wheel to hold car straight. This is more serious at highway speeds and only a short drive causes fatigue.

- Onancock, VA, USA

Jun 282011

Sonata

Hyundai Sonata 2011 new steering problem, alignment problem the car pull to the right leaving the lane on high way with strong resist from the steering power assist to return to the lane wrong alignment not adjustable by the dealer who did it 4 times the last one the Hyundai representative ask for non standard parts to fix the problem with bigger sizes in braking on high speed 100 km the car turn to the right and was stopped away from the next lane cars by 5 cm this pulling is all the time and in corners turn the car moves in zigzag the power steering assist stopped assisting over 40 km speed and the force from the moving wheels is very high you have to use both hands strongly all the way of the trip to keep the car in track by shifting the wheel 3 degree to the lift if you are lucky and no strong breaks need it may you will be safe.

- Mississauga, 00, USA

May 152011

Sonata 4-cyl

My wife and I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo with 4500 miles that pulls to the left at all speeds and is much worse at highway speeds requiring constant pressure to keep the car going in a straight line. A recent trip of 2500 miles mostly on interstate 95 became very tiring after hours of constant steering wheel correction. The car has been into the selling dealer three times {alignment twice and subframe adjustment} to correct the issue but car still pulls to the left. I strongly feel that this condition is a safety concern and am not comfortable with my wife driving the car on the highway. I am bringing the car into the dealer next week again and am told there are many cars with this same defect and Hyundai has issued a campaign code 927 to fix the problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 302011

Sonata 4-cyl

Bought a 2011 Sonata limited with 17 inch wheels in January and has pulled to the left from day one. Pull is more noticeable at highway speeds. Have taken it back to dealer 9 different times (alignments, tire rotation etc.). last time Hyundai engineer drove it and said it was fine. He drove it 6 miles of which 2 of those are to and from getting on highway. Made it sound like it was my fault and that I did not know how new cars drive. I am turning in as a lemon.

- Select An Airport, VA, USA

May 012011

Sonata 4-cyl

Since I purchased this car, it has an annoying and potentially dangerous pull to the left. Sometimes it pulls more than others but it's always present to some extent.

- Mi, MI, USA

Sonata

Vehicle tracks--poorly pulls to left at highway speeds. Brought back to dealer for fix, alignment performed several times. Requires much more effort to hold steering, and creates fatigue after hours of driving. I consider this a hazzard condition

May 162011

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai SE 2.0T steering pulls left and does not center despite alignment and tire rotations. Delivery was 16 May 2011. Above actions improve performance briefly, but do not cure problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 052011

Sonata 4-cyl

I bought a 2011 Sonata 2.0T 2 weeks ago. I am having issues with the car pulling to the left and right. This vehicle has 17 inch wheels.

- Garland, TX, USA

Feb 152011

Sonata 4-cyl

Pulled left immediately upon delivery. Returned to dealer. They said they switched the two front tires to fix the problem. They said it was due to radial pull. This begs the question "what happens when I replace or rotate tires?" I am concerned that the root cause has not been addressed. It has not pulled since they switched the front tires.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Jun 252011

Sonata

Leased 2011 Hyundai Sonata on 6/21/11. On 6/25 with 140 miles on the odometer I noticed a strong pull to the left at about 35 mph. Needed to actively correct steering to keep car in a straight trajectory. I immediately checked tire pressure looked under the car for anything obvious but found nothing. Did not drive on high speed roadway until many days later and found that at 65 mph the problem was the same. After July 4th holiday I telephoned Hyundai dealership and they told me to make an appointment, they said they had never heard that before.I did not go to the dealership thru today 8/15/11. I have however seen the numerous same complaints about the 2011 Sonata. I wanted to make my own self heard as to this problem. It continues today and I am going to go to the dealership but expect the same stonewalling I have read about.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

May 012011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated while driving, the vehicle would pull to the left. There was a NHTSA campaign id number: 10V457000 (steering:gear box:shaft sector) recall that may be related to the failure. The contact was in the process of finding out if his VIN was a part of the recall. The dealer replaced the strut, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 0 and the current mileage was 4,000.

- Port Jefferson, NY, USA

Mar 212011

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T pulls to the left very hard. It occurs at just about any speed, but is worse with highway speeds. In less than1.5 seconds my car would be 1 lane over if my hands are not on the wheel. I have to hold the wheel to the right just to go straight. I have had this addressed twice at the dealership where I purchased my car. The problem has not been fixed.

- Carol Stream, IL, USA

Aug 042011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata pulls left. Car has been back to dealer a few times. They have replaced both struts, did alignments, straighttrac, as well as put 4 brand new tires on the car. I still have an issue with the car pull left. This happens all day every day since I purchased the car in January 2011 I dont feel safe driving this car.

- Franklin Lakes, NJ, USA

Jul 102011

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Sonata turbo pulls left all the time. Soon as you release the wheel the car will pull to the left and into on coming traffic or a guard rail within 3-5 seconds at highway speeds. You have to always have the wheel slightly to the right to keep the car from pulling left. Called Hyundai and filled a case # but to date nobody has returned my call to discuss the problem. It was at the dealer for 4-5 days and they said the tried everything on the Hyundai tsb and it still pulls to the left.

- Nj, NJ, USA

Apr 012011

Sonata 4-cyl

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata veers to the right. I have to keep more pressure on the left side of the steering wheel in order to keep the car straight. I have taken the car three times to the dealership but the problem has not be fixed. I have been told that the car steering goes slightly to the right but was not guaranteed that it could be fixed.

- Lynwood, CA, USA

Jul 212011

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Apr 182010

Sonata

The car is pulling hard to the left, it requires my constant correction. It has done this day 1 of owning the car, and as you go faster, it pulls harder. I brought it back to the dealer to have them fix the alignment, but that didn't do anything except now my wheel isn't centered and it's cocked to the right and still pulls left.

- Medford, NY, USA