CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 33 of 42)

Jun 252011

Sonata 4-cyl

My car (2011 Hyundai Sonata )starts drifting to the left when going over 60 mph. I contacted the Hyundai dealer where I purchased this vehicle in February and was told "it's a defect in the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, but Hyundai does not have a fix for it yet."

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Mar 012011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 to 65 mph, the vehicle would pull towards the left. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was advised to have the wheels realigned and the sensors repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 43.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 022011

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited is pulling right. Noticed it after driving home. Went back within the week to dealer service center. The pulling right is still there, not as severely, but still there. Took it in 3 weeks from purchase, their machinery says there is no alignment problem, but every time road test drive was done, it still pulls to the right. Now, I have been given a rental car and they are keeping it for 2 days just to fix an alignment pulling to right.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jun 102011

Sonata

There is a problem with the steering in my 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited. At speeds above about 45 mph, the vehicle drifts randomly left & right. The higher the speed, the worse it is. The vehicle is also very sensitive to wind and even the wake of passing vehicles pushes the car around on the highway. It also is hard to steer on grooved pavement, which causes the car to squirm around erratically. I am constantly "correcting" the steering to maintain a straight track. The vehicle often pulls strongly to the left. This occurs especially when on the left side of a "crowned" highway. Pulls very strongly to the left, but tracks straight when on the right side of the road.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Nov 282010

Sonata 4-cyl

Purchased 2011 Hyundai Sonata ltd turbo in Nov '10. Car pulls to the left when driving at any speed. First service: Dealer performed 4 wheel alignment. Car still pulls. Second service: Dealer checked alignment and balanced on road force balancer. Dealer recommended replacement rim due to mild scratch and tire replacement because it flat spotted. Car now pulls harder than before, dangerously so as to cause the car to change lanes at the slip of the wheel on a straight road. Took car to independent wheel and tire alignment and rotation specialist, inspected "scratched" rim, stated it was balanced and any damage cosmetic. Third service: Dealer and regional field service engineer (fse) re-calibrated steering sensor, adjusted rear camber. Recommended replacement of rear wheel due to scratch. Fse drove the car and was satisfied with the alignment. Car still pulls exactly as before.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Jun 132011

Sonata

Steering on 2011 Hyundai Sonata pulls to the left. Problem is worse at higher speeds. Technician at oil change shop noticed feathering of tires @ ~5000 miles. Took it to dealership and was told the alignment was within factory specs. About 9 months later tire noise and handling were bad enough I took it back. At first, I was told they couldn't reproduce the issue. Complained in survey and dealership called and asked to look at it again. I was told the tires were pretty badly chopped up at this point.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jan 262011

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering left pull - occured before buying while test driving dealer said it was air need for the tires. At pickup same thing happened brought it back reallignment was done 3 times improved slightly but car feels like 'driving a boat' have to keep realigning.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Jan 102011

Sonata 4-cyl

One of my relatives died in an auto accident in her new 2011 Sonata, which was manufactured on 10/28/2010 by Hyundai motor Alabama. The accident was reported on a community website. www.northjersey.com/news/transportation/ridgefield_park_accident_kills_woman_closes_route_80_detoured_milk_truck_overturns.html in a nutshell, she was driving in the eastbound local lanes of route 80 when she lost control of her car. The vehicle rolled up onto a divider between the express and local lanes and hit the end of the guardrail to the left of her car. The impact spun her vehicle into the path of a tractor-trailer. The trailer struck the driver's side door, and she was pronounced dead at the scene. The subsequent autopsy report could not identify any medical conditions causing her to lose control of the vehicle. On the other hand, there are numerous complaints about the power steering of 2011 Sonata on various websites. One of them is the website of auto recalls for consumers 177 out of 266 complaints (67%) on 6/12/2011 are related to the steering column. This is a safety concern, because it pulls the vehicle to the left stronger and stronger as the speed accelerates above 25 mph. Sadly, the underlying cause is hard to detect, because the power steering of this vehicle is electronically controlled. Those consumer complaints appear to be consistent with the evidence at the scene of this accident. The police report indicated that the car ran into the guardrail on the left side of road. The national highway transportation safety administration (NHTSA) once announced the Hyundai Sonata recall on 9/23/2010 in connections with the steering column. The recall affects 2011 Hyundai Sonatas manufactured between 12/11/2009 and 9/10/2010. However, it appears that the defect of the power steering column affects Sonata vehicles manufactured even after this recall period.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Mar 282011

Sonata 4-cyl

Upon immediately driving my brand new 2011 Hyundai Sonata, I noticed the vehicle pulls drastically and unsafely to the left. If I let go of the steering wheel, I will be in the next lane within 2 seconds. It is dangerous, especially if the road is curving to the right. Then I will be in the next lane in less than 1 second. Have brought it to dealer 3 times, they changed tires, replaced strut, realigned, and did a special wheel balance, to no avail. They send a factory engineer to look at it and he said that there is nothing wrong with it. He is lying. I sent video to Hyundai corporate, and filed a lemon law claim. I am supposed to have an area manager drive it with me this week.. I have owner several new cars in my life, this is dangerous a recall is needed.

- Pompton Lakes, NJ, USA

Nov 222010

Sonata

I have a turbo limited Sonata. It has a severe left pull. If I am driving on a flat surface and let go of the steering wheel, I would be off the road to the left in about 5-6 seconds. If I am accelerating, I would be off the road within 1-2 seconds. It is a real problem. My dealership does not have the specs to fix the issue. I called the next closest dealer and they also do not have a fix. I am constantly assured that Hyundai is working on the issue, but lets face it, it has been over six months. I have lost faith that they are working on a fix. The newly sold 2011 Sonata limited turbos are being sold with the 17" wheels, not the 18" wheels I have. Therefore, it looks as though they are trying to change it to fix the problem. But what about those of us with the 18" wheels" do we have to wait until someone dies before this gets fixed" that is not acceptable to me. There are already over 165 complaints and I hope more are added daily. I am a repeat Hyundai Sonata buyer and very discouraged with the quality of safety in this car. Please investigate the problem and force a recall!

- Independence, MO, USA

Jun 012011

Sonata

Within days of purchasing this vehicle it was noticed that it pulled to the left. We drove it for 1,000 miles thinking that it was winter with slush on the roads and therefore this may caused the pulling. We took it out on the road and it did not stop pulling tot he left. The pull was constant and required one to apply pressure to the steering wheel to the right to counter the constant pull to the left. We have taken the vehicle back to the dealer 3 times and there has been no mediation of the problem. I have called the hynudai customer service. The first time I left the car with the dealer for 4 days. They said everything was in "spec" with Hyundai specifications. They even said the technician drove the car and found no pulling to the left. I left the lot and immediately returned stating it pulled as bad as before. I brought it in again and they rotated the tire and balanced them. This did not correct the problem. This last time, the dealer performed a road test force balance. This has not corrected the problem. This pulling is acute and is a safety hazard. It is to the point that I will not allow my spouse to drive the car out of town. The dealer acknowledges nor admits this is a safety problem but the service manager did indicate when he rode with me there is a definite steering problem. I have received no satisfaction from the dealer. This problem needs to be corrected by Hyundai before a fatality occurs.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

May 272011

Sonata

Car pulls left at speeds above 45mph. Constant pulls makes it unsafe to drive.

- Stafford, VA, USA

May 302011

Sonata

Vehicle pulls sharply to the left while driving down the road about 25 mph. The steering wheel jerked from my wife's hands.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Dec 012010

Sonata

Car pulls to the left all the time.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 162010

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0 turbo pulls to the left. Dealer did a front end alignment per the tsb for this problem but that did not fix it. This has occurred since the car was new back in November of 2010.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

May 252011

Sonata

2011 Sonata turbo limited pulls to left, demonstrated this to service manager at the dealer who says it is the way I am driving the car. Complaint filed with Hyundai, BBB, etc. This car is unsafe and should be recalled. Loaner car that they gave me did the same thing. Hyundai needs to be forced to acknowledge this problem with 2011 Sonata and repair the vehicles.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

May 272011

Sonata

Brand new 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T pulls noticeably to the left on level roads.

- Highland Park, NJ, USA

Oct 082010

Sonata 4-cyl

My Oct. 8 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T is a left puller. I know there is a problem with this model. My dealer will not admit to the problem and I am getting tired of dealing with it. Some day someone is going to die because of this pulling issue. Please help us solve this. Thank you

- Boardman, OR, USA

May 232011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo pulls to the left, sometimes pretty hard, almost causing an accident several times. Any release of tension on the steering wheel by the driver results in the car swerving to the left. It does not matter if the road is flat, it drifts; but if there is any type of crown, it will swerve left. I have not ever had it pull or drift to the right on any road condition. This became very noticeable early on. The car currently has 4,000 miles on it, and is being taken back to the dealership for repairs this week.

- Maroa, IL, USA

May 092011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the vehicle would drift towards the driver's side while driving approximately 40 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the failure was due to the balancing of the tires. The vehicle was aligned but the failure continued. The vehicle was taken back to an authorized dealer where it was in the process of having the failure diagnosed. The failure and current mileages were 500.

- Bel Air, MD, USA