CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 34 of 42)

May 192011

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata limited turbo 2.0L, bought April 2011, pulls left. On left-canted left lane car pulls hard to left, needs constant cw (right) force exerted on steering wheel to maintain straight. On right-canted right lane car drives straight with no driver interaction needed. On a flat road car has slight pull to left, needing constant slight cw (right) pressure to maintain going straight. Had dealer align front-end.. no change.

- Seymour, IN, USA

May 022011

Sonata

I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2 weeks ago and found a left pull plus a slight drift to either side when going straight on a highway between 55-80. It turns well in the corners either left or right but again when going straight it has a tendency to wonder to either side and at times a slight pull to the left. At this point it is just a bit annoying but I am afraid of it getting worse as time goes on. I am placing a call in the am with my dealer and possibly to Hyundai assistance to file a complaint. I found this issue when I eased off the steering wheel on a straight stretch of highway for about 3 seconds it will go straight then it will go in either direction on a straightaway. I find that when I have the steering wheel straight it will travel straight for a few seconds and then start veering off to either side. My initial thoughts after reading some posts on the Hyundai forums is that it is a disconnect with the electronic steering control computer or the software for it has a flaw in it. My car was built in March of this year and I know from reading posts from back in early 2010 this has been an issue. I don't think it is a front end alignment problem because when you stop the car it goes straight. I'm not sure if tires could be the issue either as many posted that they had all the tires checked and replaced, struts changed, wheel bearings changed, steering angle sensor recalibrated and still the problem persists. I can live with the issue for now but if it gets worse could become a big safety issue. My wife drives this car with my daughter who has a disability. My concern is for them getting into an accident because of this. Or worse causing an accident which claims lives. Again I will go back to the dealer to have this looked at but I am not confident that they will be able to fix this issue. I have read that Hyundai engineers have not be able to figure out what is wrong. It's a shame I like the car. Please get Hyundai to fix this before someone gets hurt.

- West Chester, PA, USA

May 172011

Sonata

Picked up my 2011 Hyundai Sonata last night with 8 miles on it. Pulled out of the dealership and the vehicle immediately pulled hard to the left. Dealer says this is the electronic steering, but it's dangerous! there has to be a further problem. I got this vehicle for safety with a child on the way. I do not feel safe driving this car. If I even lift my hands off the wheel for 2 seconds, the car would veer into the median. Out of probably 1000 complaints I read online, the dealership was unable to correct the problem and Hyundai has not admitted to any issues.

- East Aurora , NY, USA

May 092011

Sonata

Purchased new Hyundai Sonata limited 2.0T. From the time of delivery, steering pulls left, especially in the center and left lanes on 3-lane roads (ie. Interstate highways).

- Cortland, OH, USA

Nov 042010

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo steering issue - hard left pull. Dealer tried alignment, replaced the strap and then did alignment again. The issue is still present. Sonata pulls hard left, especially noticeable at highway speeds. Car feels unsafe.

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Mar 142011

Sonata

Since my 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE turbos has been new it pulls to the left. So bad that if I take my hands off the steering wheel for 1.5 seconds at 55mph my car drifts completely to the left lane. This is dangerous. The dealer has looked at an worked on it 4 times, replace tires, rebalanced tires, replaced struts, realigned car, even did a road force wheel balance, nothing helps and the factory sent an engineer who claims that there is no problem. The problem with his statement is that is that I have several video tapes and witnesses of it doing it and I took the service manger for a ride so he can experience it. I currently just started a lemon law case on it. Want this fixed or a Sonata that doesn't do this. This is a problem with certain cars built in a certain time frame. They won't admit that but I found that out from reliable inside info. Have owned about 10 new cars in my life and none of them ever did this.

- Poppton Lakes, NJ, USA

Apr 152011

Sonata

Vehicle pulls to the left...felt it at right away but was unsure if it was the vehicle or the roads making it pull...I had the vehicle 2 weeks when I was positive it was the vehicle. Took it to the dealer and was told alignment was in "specs". vehicle continues to pull. Waiting on Hyundai tech support to look at vehicle again. Road conditions make no difference when it comes to this pull to the left.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Apr 172011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T pulls to the left even when driver steers to the right. On a flat surface, this vehicle will pull to the left and if not corrected will cross into another lane within a second or two. My vehicle is 2 weeks old and has had the issue from the beginning. Dealership service department re-aligned the vehicle and it did not correct the problem. I have yet to bring the vehicle back for re-inspection. This issue is constant from the moment I apply power to the vehicle until the vehicle comes to a rest. I tested this by crossing into the right lane on the highway and briefly letting go of the steering wheel; the vehicle immediately pulled into the left lane on its own.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Apr 252011

Sonata

Before and after a dealer completed alignment, the steering wheel returns past center after making a right turn. It also pulls left when new and after any correction.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 252011

Sonata

New Hyundai Sonata steering issue where car pulls strongly and continuous to the left. So far two service visits to pugi Hyundai in downers grove, il have not resolved the issue. Hyundai has replaced a strut and aligned.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Mar 212011

Sonata

Car pulls left. Worsens with speed. Has been to the dealer twice. First attempt was an alignment. Second attempt was a replaced strut. Still not fixed and the issue is a major safety hazard. Lemon law paperwork has been filed.

- Monmouth Beach, NJ, USA

Apr 052011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle began to shake and veer towards the left. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the vehicle was realigned yet the failure persisted. The contact also stated that once the vehicle came to a complete stop, the steering wheel would independently turn all the way to the left as if she had removed her hands from the wheel. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was told that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 10V426000 (steering:gear box:shaft sector). The vehicle was not repaired and the failure persisted. The failure and current mileage was 1,077. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 05/13/11 updated 2/8/12

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Apr 242011

Sonata

2011 Sonata pulls hard left.

- Copley, OH, USA

Jun 012010

Sonata

Car pulled left first time I drove it on the highway. Had dealer work it four times since buying the car in may, 2010. Twice the performance appeared to improve, but then it would get worse after I had it in for an oil change & tire rotation. Dealer suggested it 1) had to do with me driving in the left lane and 2) these sporty suspensions are just more sensitive - they don't handle like a "comfort car". I've driven sport suspensions before & never experienced anything like this.

- Hampton, NH, USA

Apr 142011

Sonata

Hyundai Sonata ltd turbo pulls to the left.

- Wilmette, IL, USA

Nov 252010

Sonata

Vehicle always pulls left when driving at any speed. Problem noticed day after purchase. Vehicle has been in service 4 times for this issue & still pulls left.

- Troy, MI, USA

Oct 302010

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T limited pulls to the left at all speeds (not torque steer). The car requires constant clockwise pressure on the steering wheel just to keep the car from veering to the left. The pull occurs in all lanes, but it is especially dangerous in the left lane where it will leave the road in approximately two seconds without a steering correction. My car has been in for the left pull issue five times now, and there is still no solution to this problem. In addition to the safety concern, the tires will wear prematurely and in an uneven fashion. Since their engineers have been unable to provide a viable solution, Hyundai should really think about a recall at this point in time.

- Proctorville, OH, USA

Dec 162010

Sonata 4-cyl

Bought a Hyundai Sonata 2011 model 2.0turbo in December 2010. Car pulls heavily to the left resulting in constant pressure that needs to be applied to steering wheel so the car won't change lane by itself. At low speed (35mph nd under) not an issue, but above 45mph the car is unsafe to drive. Have taken to dealership 3 times already, they changed camber bolts then put a new strut but none of these corrected the problem.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Mar 232011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle pulled to the left repeatedly while driving. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer several times where the steering wheel was aligned and the struts were replaced yet the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where for further inspection. The manufacturer was contacted and a complaint was filed. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 71 and the current mileage was approximately 1,000.

- Ashby, MA, USA

Apr 012011

Sonata

Car pulls left from moment driven off lot. When release steering wheels it moves from center to left and then car rapidly moves left. Constant pressure is required on right side of steering wheel. This is a dangerous safety issue. Vehicle movement not as bad when passenger in car. Returned car to dealer for alignment and balancing. When this did not fix the problem a company engineer came to look at the vehicle who drove it and pronounced it fixed. Nothing had changed it still pulled as hard left as before. I took it back to the dealership and test drove it with the mechanic who had worked on the car. With me in the passenger seat the car drifted right (I outweigh the mechanic by 100 pounds). Mechanic told me he was frustrated by these cars, all the turbos with 18 inch wheels pull left. He thinks it is either the wheels size since Sonata's equipped with smaller wheels don't pull or the power steering assist needs adjusting. Hyundai is denying problem exists.

- Greenwich, CT, USA