2013 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Apr 292013

Sonata

My mother can drive car without being stranded because the steering wheel locks up. The steering wheel locks up so hard about 85% of the time whereas she can't turn the wheel to turn the key. We went to state arbitrator and she had same problem could not turn steering nor start car. I think this a cover up or some one is taking bribes because we showed problem in front of analyst salvador santillan of department of Consumer Affairs, and nothing came of it though he agreed that there was a problem. After a few times of my mother an elder women of some strength, being stranded, she can't drive car alone. Please look in to we have video.

- Banning, CA, USA

May 152014

Sonata

On May 15th I was an accident regarding my 2013 Hyundai Sonata the car sways all over the road I have notified the dealer several times and been told there is no fix even though they know about the error the swaying caused an accident that resulted in severe injuries to the passenger. There are numerous complaints about this defect when will something be done about it.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Jan 312013

Sonata 4-cyl

Have the 2013 Hyundai Sonata turbo and was told when I bought it that it would appear to drive differently. It races before it shifts to the next gear and at times it seems to pick up speed when I am not on the gas. Have called and asked to be told that the RPM system has to get as high as 4 before it shifts - that doesn't seem right and it makes the steering difficult at times. The acceleration is poor and I only have 11,000 miles on it but I'm ready to trade it in - not sure if a turbo is suppose to really drive this way and can't seem to get an answer from the dealer when I call. Their service hours are not good because they're open while I work. Does anyone else have this problem?

- Selden, NY, USA

Sep 022013

Sonata 4-cyl

My Sonata limited wanders all over the highway, I cannot keep it straight, it is dangerous and I have nearly crashed into other vehicles. Its an ongoing problem. I have spent many hours on calls and in the dealership trying to get this issue resolved and they tell me the same thing, that its in my head and nothing is wrong with the car. I would have never of bought this car knowing that it drove so poorly on highways. It is unsafe and needs to be recalled immediately.

- Brookhaven, GA, USA

Feb 102014

Sonata

Steering, veering one way then another. Sometimes the steering wheel seems stuck or is sticking, not happy at all. Had it back to dealer & said it was in spec. Help

- Moon Twp., PA, USA

Jul 112012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel would pull to the left. The contact corrected the steering wheel and it then pulled to the right. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but the cause of failure was unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable. The VIN was unavailable.

- Watertown, TN, USA

Feb 282014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering wheel is slightly cocked to the right and very sensitive. When driving the vehicle does not want to steer straight. Darts one way and then another. Dealer re-calibrated steering and alignment. Although steering wheel problem is fixed it remains very sensitive and still veers one way then another. Especially noticeable at higher speeds.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 032014

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle will not steer a straight line at highway speeds. You have to constantly correct the path the car is going in. I have wondered out of the lane I was traveling in several times. This vehicle is very unsafe and this issue needs to be resolved before someone looses a life in an accident.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Sonata

Driving my new 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, I know there is definitely something wrong with the electric power steering (eps) on the car. My car just keeps wandering when driving over 45 mph on freeway. It will keep wandering to the left and to the right. It requires constant correction to keep my car in the lane and the steering wheel is extremely sensitive. When the car wanders to the left, I would try to correct it back to center, but it won't stay straight and it wanders to the right after correction. Driving in a straight line is near impossible. It often goes into the other lane next to me and I have almost hit the car next to me. It is scary and very dangerous. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times and they tell me there is a software glitch, they keep saying it is fixed but it is not. They have performed several alignments and it is not the issue. It is something wrong with the 2013 Hyundai Sonata's steering that is controlled by the car's computer. Please request Hyundai to recall the eps system and software before many people get hurt from this. Thank you.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Oct 072013

Sonata

Vehicle wanders badly on highway. Vehicle will not hold a straight lane, so it is very difficult to keep the car in my lane. I do not feel safe driving it on the freeway.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Jul 042013

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering is sticky, especially at highway speeds. This causes unsafe overcorrection, inability to maintain a straight trajectory, and driver fatigue.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Oct 222013

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle wanders badly, will not track straight, dealer stated nothing could be accomplished to correct problem. Fighting the steering trying to correct or over correct the problem is a traffic accident waiting to happen.

- Vienna, IL, USA

Sep 012013

Sonata

Noticed car was extremely hard to control at highway speeds.

- Washington, IN, USA

Oct 202013

Sonata

Vehicle drifts while on the freeway or doing speeds of over 50 mph. It is very difficulty to keep the car in my lane. Something needs to be done about this as I see it being a safety hazard and I do not feel safe driving it on the freeway. I have noticed that the new 2014 Hyundai Sonata comes with driver selectable steering mode (dssm) standard on every Sonata. I believe every Sonata with this problem needs to be recalled and have this feature installed at no cost.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 092013

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle will not hold a straight line and wonders all over the road.

- Advance, NC, USA

Sep 122013

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle wanders when traveling at 60+ mph. Can stay in my own lane. Cannot keep the vehicle going straight without constant adjustment. Steering sensitivity feels way too sensitive and is a major safety hazard at those speeds. It sounds to me like Hyundai is aware of this but has not provided any solutions.

- Otsego, MN, USA

Aug 202013

Sonata

From the time I bought it, the car wanders all over the road. Have taken it to the dealer many times and they adjusted it once. They are basically saying, "get use to it." They also said they would call the manufacturer, but that was weeks ago.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jul 302013

Sonata 4-cyl

At highway speeds the car wanders all over the road. It requires constant correction to keep it in the lane of traffic. I just returned from a 3000 mile trip and I became very exhausted with having to constantly be. On the alert and correcting the steering. It is way too sensitive and does not track down the road as it should. I took it too the dealer and they informed me there was nothing they could do to fix the problem.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Jun 222012

Sonata

Steering wanders at all speeds, worse at highway speeds. Noticed after purchase and took it back to dealer 3 separate times, and they tried to adjust, change tires, checked tires and alignment and the issue still wasn't resolved. Took the car to Florida, 1600 miles, on Oct. 2012 and the steering was still bad. Took car to dealer in Florida and they said that is the way it is and denied that there was any problem with the steering. I now have 20000 miles and the wandering steering is terrible and I am very unsatisfied with the car.

- New Auburn, WI, USA

Jul 192013

Sonata 4-cyl

From the past few weeks driving my new 2013 Hyundai Sonata gls, I know there is definitely something wrong with the electric power steering (eps) on the car. My car just keeps wandering when driving over 50 mph on freeway. It will keep wandering to the left and to the right. It requires constant correction to keep my car in the lane and the steering wheel is extremely sensitive. When the car wanders to the left, I would try to correct it back to center, but it won't stay straight and it wanders to the right after correction. It will happens a few times like that from a 15-mile freeway drive. One time, I over corrected it and it went to the other lane next to me and almost hit the car next to me. It was scary and totally dangerous. At first I thought the new tires required break-in and the problem will go away, but it has been over 2 weeks of driving and tires were already fully break-in. All of the tires are with good tire pressure at 34 psi and it can not be alignment issue since the car doesn't just go toward one side in high speed. I have been driving on the same freeway for years and there is no such issue with my other cars after I tested drive those cars on the same freeway, so it is not an issue on the pavement on the freeway. It is something wrong with the 2013 Hyundai Sonata's steering. Contacted Hyundai dealers in my location areas, they all said that the sensitive steering is due to the eps for the Sonata and there is nothing they can change since it is controlled by the car's computer. Please request Hyundai to take a look at their cars' eps and make proper adjustment, people are going to get hurt or killed someday if this is not being looked at. Thank you.

- Fremont, CA, USA