Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Veracruz has a minor trend of complaints where the valve cover leaks oil onto the alternator, causing alternator failure. The problem starts with the battery warning light & typically all the other warning lights coming on in quick succession. Luckily, that problem was covered in a 2014 recall.

Overall, It's a solid reliable vehicle with no major problems reported.

2008 Hyundai Veracruz brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Veracruz:

2008 Hyundai Veracruz Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 302014

Veracruz 6-cyl

My airbag and ESC lights went off and I took the car to dealership. They are saying that both the control modules (ABS, airbag) need to be replaced and the parts alone cost around $2600. The car is out of warranty because of 5 year period (bought in Sept 2008) even though the mileage is less than 60K. There were multiple recalls on this vehicle and it seems like these modules should not be failing for 50K miles. I have heard multiple people complaining about the issue and I think Hyundai should get the control modules replaced.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 272014

Three warning lights came on in vehicle. ESC, abf, parking!brake were the lights that lit up on dashboard. Took vehicle in to local mechanic and he ran computer diagnostics on it, it came up with internal failure of the hydraulic electronic control unit. I called Hyundai customer care line and was told there were currently no recalls on this problem, but they did file my complaint and said that they take notice of trends and do research when enough problems happen, he encouraged me to file a complaint here as well. He also said that should Hyundai recall this problem I could be reimbursed the $2400 this is going to cost to get it fixed. Vehicle only has 45,000 miles on it, and is only 6 years old, too young and not enough miles for something like this happen. I did speak with a Hyundai dealer service dept and they said they have not seen this in the Veracruz but have seen it more in the sonata.

- Fridley, MN, USA

Oct 052014

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

This vehicle went out of control when trying to park. When I tried to move stick to park, the vehicle took off with 70 - 80 miles an hour. Once it took off like plane, I had no control over this vehicle. I tried to stop it but brakes did not work, steering was locked and can not turn off ignition either. Vehicle traveled about 800 - 1000 ft before it stopped. Vehicle finally came to stop by trees. Steering, brakes and gas nothing worked as expected and I had no control over this vehicle. This vehicle went through this ordeal in children play area and luckily it was early in the morning and no one was in play area. Imagine if this vehicle was on interstate, major intersection or us / state hwy. This vehicle is road hazard and may cause serious accidents and possibly loss of life. I have also contacted Hyundai and they have opened up case to check but want NHTSA to investigate the issue so we have neutral outcome V/S just Hyundai. I wanted to bring up this matter to your attention so proper investigation should be completed for this vehicle to avoid loss of property or lives. Please contact me for more details.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 212014

Veracruz 6-cyl

I was having issues with the brakes and it came to the point after replacing the pads and rotors and almost crashing into the cars in front of me that I took it to the dealer. I thought it may just need an adjustment on the computer but the diagnosis was "internal failure of the hydraulic electronic control unit".. I am shocked because the car is only 5 years old. I started doing research and found that the Hyundai genesis was recalled for this very same reason. The dealer wants $2600 to replace it and told me they had not heard of this happening with a Veracruz. If the same components or fluid was used in the Veracruz as was used in the genesis - it would have the same issues but I don't see any recalls. I was told my car is dangerous to drive but I don't have $2,600 to dish out to get it fixed. I would like some assistance in finding out if other Hyundai Veracruz owners have reported the same. How does a recall get issued?

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Mar 142014

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai vera cruz. The contact stated while driving approximately 2 mph making a turn, the engine stalled with the illumination of the ABS, ESC and another brake warning indicator. The engine restarted and resumed normally. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the ABS hydraulic control assembly would require replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified problem. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was available.

- Virginia Beach , VA, USA

May 252013

Veracruz 6-cyl

While driving down the highway (approx. Speeds of 65 mph), while raining, the vehicle started to stutter, speedometer jumped around, and the ESC off, ABS and AWD warning lights flashed and then stayed on. Once the lights stayed on (no longer flashing) it seemed as though the vehicle drove "normal." After a day of driving with the lights on they would turn off and problem wouldn't come on again until their was some sort of moisture/precipitation happening; and then once dry would turn off again. Had dealer check vehicle (at the time of check no lights/symptoms occurring) and they said it required a new hecu unit and a new wheel speed sensor (approx. Cost $3,200). They could neither explain why it only happened when it was wet and did not want to troubleshoot beyond the basic code check. Hyundai was contacted and they offered no help - it was only 1,000 over warranty by the time we were able to have it looked at by dealer (which also took 2 weeks to set up appointment with Hyundai tech). Dealer cleared codes and put dielectric grease on the connections. Had no problems for 7 months, and then problem reappeared. Only now the problem is a severe safety risk to myself and others around me. There is no telling (can occur at any speed and doesn't matter how long car has been on or how far driven) when the systems mentioned will fail, and when the lights start flashing I have no ability to accelerate the vehicle until all the lights turn steady and stay on. If this were to happen when pulling out/across traffic it could turn fatal. A quick check on the internet and one will find a host of complaints relating to this same problem. A recall needs to be issued before someone is injured!

- Corning, NY, USA

Jan 042014

Veracruz 6-cyl

Driving less than 40 mph and multiple lights came on, almost simultaneously. First ESC off, ABS and parking brake lights. Then momentarily afterwards check engine and TPMS lights came on. Took it to stealership, said the brake control module was bad and needed to be replaced. Car kept in excellent condition with freq oil changes and proper tire maintenance. Est cost to repair $2,800. Out of warranty and was told that they haven't seen anything like this in their shop.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 252013

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the ESC and ABS warning lights illuminated as the vehicle failed to shift out of park. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The manufacturer informed the contact that her VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (service brakes). The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Michigan City , IN, USA

Aug 282012

Veracruz 6-cyl Diesel

This car loses power and the ability to control it via power steering, power brakes, and sometimes completely shuts down when operating under rainy conditions and wet roadways. It has happened five times. I have never been traveling at a high rate of speed, but for a split second codes appear and I have no control of the car. There is a moment of panic and then the car comes back to life and everything is operational. The dealer has not been able to diagnose.

- Red Bank, NJ, USA

May 242013

Received a recall notice that the stop lamp switch is malfunctioning on the Hyundai Veracruz model dated 2008-2009. There is risk of a crash. I tried to make an appointment with the dealer in freehold, NJ and they indicated because my brakes are the adjustable kind that they do not have the parts in stock to repair this recall and have no idea when they will be getting them in. Its on back order. In the meantime, if there is a crash caused by this problem there will be major lawsuits against the Hyundai company for not having the items in stock to repair these vehicles. I suggest this matter gets looked into immediately and gets resolved. There should be no excuse that parts are on back order.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Apr 112011

Veracruz 6-cyl

When brakes are applied car veers to left or right. Representative for Oregon Hyundai parts and service drove the car on 10-4-2012 and observed that the car veers when brakes are applied. He stated, "it is normal". veering occurs dramatically if hands are not on steering wheel. Attempts to correct include: New front brake pads, rotors turned, pressure to calipers checked, front end alignment checked and rotated wheels.

- Bend, OR, USA

Aug 262012

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. The contact stated that the rear brake tail lights failed. The manufacturer was made aware of they failure and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V122000 (service brakes, hydraulic:switches:brake). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 84,000.

- Groveport, OH, USA

Mar 012012

Veracruz 6-cyl

When braking, I would hear & feel a grinding type noise and "feel" the grinding on my brake pedal. It would feel as if I wouldn't have brakes and it would surprise me---which would make me take my foot off the pedal and then re-brake. Usually at this point I would not feel/hear the same thing and my brake worked and felt normal. This did not happen every time I braked and it didn't happen every time I drove my car. It was intermittent. I told my Hyundai service people I thought I needed new brakes. They checked and saw my pads & rotors were fine. This happened several times until I finally told them this is definitely happening and they needed to figure out what was going on. So my service tech drove my car until it finally happened to him. Since early June they have tried numerous things to try to fix this problem. Unfortunately, they've been unsuccessful! what I understand is they "think" my car feels like its skidding so the ABS system engages. However, they can't figure out how to make it stop. They've exhausted my extended warranty changing out parts/computers (I think) to no avail. They've contacted Hyundai engineers and they too haven't found an answer. I understand there are 2 other 2008 veracurz' that are experiencing a similar issue at the dealership I work with as well as others across the country---per the Hyundai engineer to the service manager at my dealership. Now I have a car a year away from being paid off and no resolution to this problem!! is this a recall issue" is this something that needs to be investigated? do I---and others---deserve reimbursement for Hyundai's faulty equipment" I believe this to be the case. I have been loyal to my dealership, to servicing my vehicle and caring for my car so as to pay it off and have a reliable, safe vehicle without a car payment for a period of time! this was my goal.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 212012

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

Traveling on dry pavement approx. 45 mph. Clear, sunny day @80F when had to stop suddenly. The dashboard light up showing "ESC off", "ABS" and "brake" lights continuously on after incident. Next morning upon start up the lights still remained along with improper speedometer function. I decided to take it to the dealership where it was diagnosed as "hydrolic module" failure (P/N 589103J950). This resulted in loss of ESC function and other possible hazards. Being an integrated part this will effect more than one system of braking. This is not a cheap part and vital.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA